Why do many of you want to go abroad but never do?

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Why do many of you want to go abroad but never do?

Post by xiongmao »

For me the revelation was discovering personality research (go to 16Personalities.com to get your result).

I'm INFJ and the "J" means I like being organised and making lists. This personality trait keeps you from going abroad. Geeks tend to be INTJ (there are a lot on HA). Their logical mind thinks that going abroad is a crazy idea.

However, I have a very weak preference for "J", and I am lucky I have my "P" side. This is carefree and just goes with the flow. This made me quit my job and go and live in Barcelona. There are many "P" types in this city, particularly amongst the expats. I've met quite a few Americans here. They are here despite having visas (!) and they have to make money in the grey economy. But they are here here, and they are having the most extraordinary time of their lives.

You just need to worry less. One "P" type I know here doesn't even have a mobile phone. I'd love to drink beer with him again, but I don't even know how to contact him.

Beer tends to loosen "J" up, but don't drink too much...

I am now trying to develop the "P" side of my personality. Living in Thailand definitely helped. Thai people live in the moment, and I can't imagine them ever writing lists of things to do. I no longer write todo lists, and I don't have a specific plan when I get up in the morning. I don't even know what I'll do after leaving Barcelona. Heck, I don't even know if I will even leave here.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The reasons are obvious.

1. Lack of money.
2. Comfort zone. Lean toward path of least resistance. Easier to do nothing than something. Easier to complain than to take action.
3. Work or other obligations.
4. Fear of change. Anxiety about changing ones environment.
5. Addiction to misery and unhappiness, so your subconscious mind sabotages your efforts and you find yourself making excuses. Yes there is such a thing as addiction to pain.
6. Got miscellaneous stuff to take care of, which could be hundreds of different things.
Etc.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

I think that's a very earthly way of looking at things....blaming on humanity is the easy way out...

We don't know any better...We haven't taught any better..

Its always...Our fault...

--------------------

Those who will get it..will do eventually...

Its the AI ...There are so many equations it creates in our life...our best laid plans do not come into fruition

What Winston mentioned

1. Lack of money.
2. Comfort zone. Lean toward path of least resistance. Easier to do nothing than something. Easier to complain than to take action.
5. Addiction to misery and unhappiness, so your subconscious mind sabotages your efforts and you find yourself making excuses. Yes there is such a thing as addiction to pain.
6. Got miscellaneous stuff to take care of, which could be hundreds of different things. etc.

are mere AFTER EFFECTs of what AI has done in your life...

The Conspiracy is sooo freaking deep.....You better sh**T your pants now and WAKE UP before the AI awakens...

The reason you are not able to travel abroad is really SIMPLE...Its not your fault..Stop blaming yourself....There are far higher forces at play...Its the AI that is stopping your evolution...

It has tricked 99% of humanity into finding fault in themselves and becoming miserable....

-----------------------

The problem also is...Those who Travel the world - like many here, are comfortable, have money or "MADE IT THROUGH SHEER DETERMINATION " cliche's - JUST DON"T SEE IT - Some are most Ignorant of greater forces at play ...Most become Arrogant ..

They think the steps they took like working hard, being smart, saving money, having the passion to do things etc is the way - if only others could do what they did...then they could travel easily -They have the best intention but that's just very ignorant primitive controlled brainwashed way of looking at how things really run on planet earth

----------------------

Its time to go ONE STEP UP in our thought process and really look at who is behind it all in the first place...Even before you THINK...The game is RIGGED...
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

starchild5 wrote:I think that's a very earthly way of looking at things....blaming on humanity is the easy way out...

We don't know any better...We haven't taught any better..

Its always...Our fault...

--------------------

Those who will get it..will do eventually...

Its the AI ...There are so many equations it creates in our life...our best laid plans do not come into fruition

What Winston mentioned

1. Lack of money.
6. Got miscellaneous stuff to take care of, which could be hundreds of different things. etc.

are mere AFTER EFFECTs of what AI has done in your life...

The Conspiracy is sooo freaking deep.....You better sh**T your pants now and WAKE UP before the AI awakens...

The reason you are not able to travel abroad is really SIMPLE...Its not your fault..Stop blaming yourself....There are far higher forces at play...Its the AI that is stopping your evolution...

It has tricked 99% of humanity into finding fault in themselves and becoming miserable....

-----------------------

The problem also is...Those who Travel the world - like many here, are comfortable, have money or "MADE IT THROUGH SHEER DETERMINATION " cliche's - JUST DON"T SEE IT - Some are most Ignorant of greater forces at play ...Most become Arrogant ..

They think the steps they took like working hard, being smart, saving money, having the passion to do things etc is the way - if only others could do what they did...then they could travel easily -They have the best intention but that's just very ignorant primitive controlled brainwashed way of looking at how things really run on planet earth

----------------------

Its time to go ONE STEP UP in our thought process and really look at who is behind it all in the first place...Even before you THINK...The game is RIGGED...
You have to admit if you have access to a space ship and the anti matter fuel that makes it run it makes moving about much easier and less of a hassle.
Time to Hide!
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Moretorque wrote:
You have to admit if you have access to a space ship and the anti matter fuel that makes it run it makes moving about much easier and less of a hassle.
Yep...Everything is pressured on humanity...The Distance from US to Philippines is really 3 Seconds...I repeat 3 Seconds...If only these f&&&kers allow us access to the technology they possess or not kill freaking scientist who are close to developing such tech.

and YES IT IS FREE.....We should all be anywhere in the world in few seconds really...That is what humanity deserves not freaking combustion engines
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I think the biggest problem is simply getting off your ass. I've been in Spain for 3 months and my dad's still not got his ass out here to visit me. It's only a 2hr plane journey. He keeps blaming various stuff, but he's just like the other people here who will never go abroad.

Money shouldn't be an excuse - there's loads of foreigners here in Spain who don't have any money, but they get by. Most of the people on the full time CELTA only have enough money to last the month after their course. But there is work here (and in any other country) if you're prepared to look for it.

And you can live on a shoestring in Europe. I'm living in a 4 sq. M room in an apartment that you could get for 200 euros a month if you have a bit of time to look. Food costs are very cheap here - my local supermarket sells a 2Kg bag of pasta for a euro.

Anyway I'm just prepping CELTA lesson #8 and I've been going through my old photos from China for some materials. I'm just amazed by what an experience I had. I took 2500 photos in 4 months, so I only posted on HA a small percentage of the chaos and calamity I experienced. I'm definitely going abroad again (not sure if Spain is abroad enough for me).
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
cardinalattentive
Freshman Poster

Post by cardinalattentive »

I don't know much about others but in my case it is just because I am having too many dependencies due to which I never got time to go abroad. Still i m very optimistic that in near future i had my chance to go abroad and explore.
HappyinEurope
Freshman Poster

Post by HappyinEurope »

Each person/situation is different, that's all there is to it. Maybe it is because only 25% of the population has a passport. You can't say people are afraid of change, change happens every day and it gets used to. In my case if there’s a single pattern that has defined my life it’s been change. My life has been in a state of change ever since I remember. It started when I as a todler changed hemispheres from Indonesia to Holland. I don't necesarely like change but it seems to keep me young. It gives me stories and perspectives. It makes me more alive. I changed jobs. I changed cities. I changed lifestyles. I changed countries. I changed languages. I changed continents. I changed friends. I changed girlfriends. The obvious explanation is that I don't like to be anywhere too long, life is too short to be taken seriously and too precious to leave unexplored. If there's one thing I learned, it's that nobody is here forever. You have to live for the moment, each and every day . . . the here, the now.

After a 10 year marriage to an Amarican woman I left the US alltogether and her sociopathic behaviour was only a small part of it. During the last part of this marriage I started preparing while in the meantime seeing another woman just for the sex. It took two years to get some reasonable savings together and one day I skipped out, leaving her with a large colonial house with negative equity, three cars and several equity loans. I thought:"You do it!" How is that for change? If you are desperate enough you will walk over burning coals to get it.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

xiongmao wrote: Money shouldn't be an excuse - there's loads of foreigners here in Spain who don't have any money, but they get by. Most of the people on the full time CELTA only have enough money to last the month after their course. But there is work here (and in any other country) if you're prepared to look for it.
It's strange. So many use money as an excuse and yet out here you run into these Africans with nothing who came over on a leaky dingy. Somehow they manage to find jobs.

I suspect it is work most Americans would never want to do though. It's all about how bad you want it.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

The_Adventurer wrote:It's strange. So many use money as an excuse and yet out here you run into these Africans with nothing who came over on a leaky dingy. Somehow they manage to find jobs.
The explanation to this is simple. You are only meeting those who have found jobs. Those who resorted to crime and were imprisoned, starved or otherwise died, moved on to other countries to live off welfare, stayed in Africa in the first place because they knew they wouldn't find jobs without any contacts etc. are not on your radar. You are only encountering the minority who found jobs and stupidly concluding that they are all there is.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Dear Sir Winston,

Your movement is filled with many whose only ability in life is to make excuses.

In general those who are unable to leave and go abroad are:
1. Too stupid
2. Too poor
3. Too weak

Each time I go to the Philippines it costs me about $3,000 give or take:
1. $1,000 Airfare
2. $1,000 Spending money
3. $1,000 Accommodations

For many on this forum $3,000 might as well be $3 Million dollars.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 20th, 2020, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Cornfed wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:It's strange. So many use money as an excuse and yet out here you run into these Africans with nothing who came over on a leaky dingy. Somehow they manage to find jobs.
The explanation to this is simple. You are only meeting those who have found jobs. Those who resorted to crime and were imprisoned, starved or otherwise died, moved on to other countries to live off welfare, stayed in Africa in the first place because they knew they wouldn't find jobs without any contacts etc. are not on your radar. You are only encountering the minority who found jobs and stupidly concluding that they are all there is.
Actually, I wrote that wrong, since I, personally, have met very few. What I meant was that, looking at the information available on websites, blogs, articles, documentary films, and so on, about African immigrants throughout the world, the numbers are strikingly large.

While you are correct about the large numbers who resort to crime etc., There are still a considerable amount working in construction, cleaning toilets and doing other menial labour to support a life outside their home country.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

The_Adventurer wrote:Actually, I wrote that wrong, since I, personally, have met very few. What I meant was that, looking at the information available on websites, blogs, articles, documentary films, and so on, about African immigrants throughout the world, the numbers are strikingly large.

While you are correct about the large numbers who resort to crime etc., There are still a considerable amount working in construction, cleaning toilets and doing other menial labour to support a life outside their home country.
Bottom line: they got out. They wanted out, and they got off their asses and risked life and limb to get where they are now. If some poor, starving Africans can do it, that means just about everybody else can too. To physically go from A to B without much of a plan, isn't hard to pull off. The hard part is what comes next. But nobody unattached, single and unemployed who hates where he's at and has a healthy pair of legs has any excuses not to pack his bags and go.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 20th, 2020, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.