Whats the dress code abroad?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Balmung
Freshman Poster

Re: whats the dress code abroad?

Post by Balmung »

gsjackson wrote:Bydlo?

Track pants not a look you see over there. They think Americans dress like circus clowns.
Really? When I went to the Baltic States, all kinds of young guys were wearing track suits.

Required reading:
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/374846- ... ng-edition
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Balmung wrote:
gsjackson wrote:Bydlo?

Track pants not a look you see over there. They think Americans dress like circus clowns.
Really? When I went to the Baltic States, all kinds of young guys were wearing track suits.

Required reading:
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/374846- ... ng-edition
What about track pants with a leather jacket and dress shoes?
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

In Latin America shorts are for the beach... or for kids. The same basically goes for t-shirts. It's best to wear something with a collar. You can do jeans these days if they are designer and pressed. No need to drop serious cash or anything. You could find all this stuff at a discount store. I also would pass on tennis shoes unless I was working out. You can find some comfortable dressier shoes to wear. You walk a lot in Latin America, so finding that good combo shoe is probably best.

Slacks and good looking pressed jeans are the way to go. If you are going to a nice club a blazer is an option at night when the sun is down. There is no need to buy high dollar clothes. CK at a department store is completely fine in the States before you travel.

Don't wear pants that look all puffy like they were made for grandpa either. CK or like brands are a safe bet.
skater
Freshman Poster

Post by skater »

travelsouth wrote:In Latin America shorts are for the beach... or for kids. The same basically goes for t-shirts. It's best to wear something with a collar. You can do jeans these days if they are designer and pressed. No need to drop serious cash or anything. You could find all this stuff at a discount store. I also would pass on tennis shoes unless I was working out. You can find some comfortable dressier shoes to wear. You walk a lot in Latin America, so finding that good combo shoe is probably best.

Slacks and good looking pressed jeans are the way to go. If you are going to a nice club a blazer is an option at night when the sun is down. There is no need to buy high dollar clothes. CK at a department store is completely fine in the States before you travel.

Don't wear pants that look all puffy like they were made for grandpa either. CK or like brands are a safe bet.
That's so crazy, cause here in the US if you wear slacks and collared shirt you are automatically labeled as a square dude. I mostly wear tees and jeans. I do rock the shorts in the summer.. guess it's totally different up here vs down there.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

skater wrote:
travelsouth wrote:In Latin America shorts are for the beach... or for kids. The same basically goes for t-shirts. It's best to wear something with a collar. You can do jeans these days if they are designer and pressed. No need to drop serious cash or anything. You could find all this stuff at a discount store. I also would pass on tennis shoes unless I was working out. You can find some comfortable dressier shoes to wear. You walk a lot in Latin America, so finding that good combo shoe is probably best.

That's so crazy, cause here in the US if you wear slacks and collared shirt you are automatically labeled as a square dude. I mostly wear tees and jeans. I do rock the shorts in the summer.. guess it's totally different up here vs down there.
The way people dress in Latin America varies a lot based on social class. It is probably also different from country to country. Where I lived in Peru (South-America) poor people dress in anything they can afford. Some people in remote areas still make their own clothes and they wear traditional clothing like ponchos, traditional hats, etc. Lots of young kids in LA also dress like "skaters" or they like the reggaeton/hip hop look (caps, baggy pants, etc.).

:D

Soccer jerseys are also popular among the poorer classes. Older people usually dress a bit more formally (shirt, pants ,etc.). T-shirts and jeans are ok to wear, even in many clubs. Here is a random picture from a South-American disco: