Can Non-Christians in Asia become Christians?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Can Non-Christians in Asia become Christians?

Post by Adama »

Winston wrote:
There is a saying, "The Bible is a good book for good people, and a dangerous book for dangerous people."
If you are a godly person, you will do good works. If you are an evil person, you will do evil works. If I give a weapon to a good person, will he use it for evil or for good? If I give a weapon to an evil person, is he likely to use it for good or for evil?

Now under that context, re-read the statement you wrote which is quoted above.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Furthermore Adama:

Firstly, just because there is a God or Creator of our world does not mean that he MUST be perfect, infallible, all good, all wise, all powerful, all knowing, blameless, etc. Or even a moralistic good person for that matter. The logic doesn't follow. That would be like saying that the people who built my house MUST be all good, all knowing, perfect, infallible and blameless just because they are the builders or creators. The logic doesn't follow.

Secondly, it takes a whole team of construction workers to build a house or building. And it takes a team of designers to create a virtual reality world. So just because there is a creator of our world, does not mean that there must only be ONE creator. It's more likely that there is a team of creators, not just one, because that's what we see in the real world. To build a vast structure requires a team of people, not just one. So the logic also doesn't follow that a creator must only be one.

Thirdly, we know that everything in this world or universe has more than one of it. For example, there is more than one of trees, rocks, mountains, rivers, people, cultures, etc. And there are many stars and galaxies, not just one. Thus everything has more than one of the same kind. So why can't there be more than one deity or God as well? The logic would follow.

The thing is, orthodox religions want you to believe that there's only one creator or God so that you will obey the authority of a monotheistic deity rather than turning to other deities, which centralizes and consolidates their control over their followers.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Winston wrote:Furthermore Adama:

Firstly, just because there is a God or Creator of our world does not mean that he MUST be perfect, infallible, all good, all wise, all powerful, all knowing, blameless, etc. Or even a moralistic good person for that matter. The logic doesn't follow. That would be like saying that the people who built my house MUST be all good, all knowing, perfect, infallible and blameless just because they are the builders or creators. The logic doesn't follow.

Secondly, it takes a whole team of construction workers to build a house or building. And it takes a team of designers to create a virtual reality world. So just because there is a creator of our world, does not mean that there must only be ONE creator. It's more likely that there is a team of creators, not just one, because that's what we see in the real world. To build a vast structure requires a team of people, not just one. So the logic also doesn't follow that a creator must only be one.

Thirdly, we know that everything in this world or universe has more than one of it. For example, there is more than one of trees, rocks, mountains, rivers, people, cultures, etc. And there are many stars and galaxies, not just one. Thus everything has more than one of the same kind. So why can't there be more than one deity or God as well? The logic would follow.

The thing is, orthodox religions want you to believe that there's only one creator or God so that you will obey the authority of a monotheistic deity rather than turning to other deities, which centralizes and consolidates their control over their followers.
You can believe that if you choose to, Winston, but that is calling God a liar. You either believe God (and His Word), or you do not. Anything about God that doesnt come from the Bible is conjecture. You're running on some major assumptions, including some obvious deceptions. For example, after studying the flat earth, do you still believe scientists are truth seekers? Or do they have a vested interest in group think?

There are many people who want you to believe there are other planets, other gods, and other ways to heaven. Anyone who says there is another true God, another earth anywhere in the universe (or even that there is a universe), or another way to heaven other than through faith alone in Jesus Christ, is either massively deceived by the world (or by their desire to commit lots and lots of sin), or they are one of the most wicked of deceivers (like Neil deGrasse Tyson, Buzz Aldrin, and others).
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Winston wrote:Furthermore Adama:

That is very true. Ask yourself why though? Because Satan is in control of those massive institutions. Anywhere there is a massive, centralized power structure, especially when there is wealth or the fate of souls involved, you can guarantee that it has been taken over by Satanists. This includes banking, politics, and religion.

True Christianity is independent. You won't find a national or international chain of independent churches. They are individual churches, which is what is meant by independent. You do not need to go to church to be a Christian. All that you have to do is believe that the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ and that He paid the entire price for our sins (faith alone, without works).

You will find that those massive, international churches and denominations you think of all cite incorrect ways to get into heaven. That is because Satan wants to lead people astray.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Adama wrote: If Satan is real, and he is, then it makes sense that he would create apostate Christianity, in order to deceive those who are looking for Jesus, to take them off course and to damn them to hell. The Bible states clearly that no man can know the day or the hour of the Lord's second coming. If those Christians are predicting the time of Christ's return, then they are not true believers, because the Bible clearly states that no man can know exactly when. Therefore they are false versions of Christianity; the kind that does not believe the Bible.
But Adama, even the Jesus of the NT said that the End Times and Second Coming would be in the lifetime of his first followers in the First Century AD. See below:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/Debunk ... /Page7.htm

There are 16 obvious failed prophecies in regard to the Second Coming of Christ and the end of the world, which was supposed to take place in the First Century Apostles’ lifetime!

Below Jesus clearly predicts that his Second Coming will be during the lifetimes of the First Century Christians who lived in their time.

"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28)

"But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:27)

Jesus clearly predicted in those two verses above that the apostles standing with him would see his second coming in their lifetimes. It's clear and simple, nothing allegorical or symbolical.

These following verses also indicate that Paul expected that he and the Christians of his time would see the Second Coming of Christ.

"But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;" (1 Corinthians 7:29)

"For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven... Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds..." (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17)

"God...Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son..." (Hebrews 1:1-2)

2000 years ago it was the "last days"!? More similar verses below.

"For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry."
(Hebrews 10:37)

"But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer."
(1 Peter 4:7)

"Christ...was manifest in these last times for you,..." (1 Peter 1:19-20)

"Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord... stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh...behold, the judge standeth before the door." (James 5:7-9)

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass;..." (Revelation 1:1)

"Behold, I come quickly." (Revelation 3:11)

"And he said unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand... He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus." (Revelation 22:10, 20)

"But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come."
(Matthew 10:22-23)

Jesus said there that his second coming would occur WHILE his apostles were preaching in the cities of Israel!

In the following three verses, Jesus says that the generation living at the time would experience his second coming.

"So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done." (Mark 13:29-30)

"So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled." (Luke 21:31-32)

"So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." (Matthew 24:33-34)

Obviously, that generation that Jesus was speaking to has long since passed! What an impressive assortment of failed prophecies! Is this convincing to you of the divine infallible inspiration of the Bible?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Winston wrote:
Adama wrote: If Satan is real, and he is, then it makes sense that he would create apostate Christianity, in order to deceive those who are looking for Jesus, to take them off course and to damn them to hell. The Bible states clearly that no man can know the day or the hour of the Lord's second coming. If those Christians are predicting the time of Christ's return, then they are not true believers, because the Bible clearly states that no man can know exactly when. Therefore they are false versions of Christianity; the kind that does not believe the Bible.
But Adama, even the Jesus of the NT said that the End Times and Second Coming would be in the lifetime of his first followers in the First Century AD. See below:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/Debunk ... /Page7.htm

There are 16 obvious failed prophecies in regard to the Second Coming of Christ and the end of the world, which was supposed to take place in the First Century Apostles’ lifetime!

Below Jesus clearly predicts that his Second Coming will be during the lifetimes of the First Century Christians who lived in their time.

"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28)

"But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:27)

Jesus clearly predicted in those two verses above that the apostles standing with him would see his second coming in their lifetimes. It's clear and simple, nothing allegorical or symbolical.

These following verses also indicate that Paul expected that he and the Christians of his time would see the Second Coming of Christ.

"But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;" (1 Corinthians 7:29)

"For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven... Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds..." (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17)

"God...Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son..." (Hebrews 1:1-2)

2000 years ago it was the "last days"!? More similar verses below.

"But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer."

"Christ...was manifest in these last times for you,..." (1 Peter 1:19-20)

"Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord... stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh...behold, the judge standeth before the door." (James 5:7-9)

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass;..." (Revelation 1:1)

"Behold, I come quickly." (Revelation 3:11)

"And he said unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand... He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus." (Revelation 22:10, 20)

"But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come."

Jesus said there that his second coming would occur WHILE his apostles were preaching in the cities of Israel!

In the following three verses, Jesus says that the generation living at the time would experience his second coming.

"So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done." (Mark 13:29-30)

"So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled." (Luke 21:31-32)

"So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." (Matthew 24:33-34)

Obviously, that generation that Jesus was speaking to has long since passed! What an impressive assortment of failed prophecies! Is this convincing to you of the divine infallible inspiration of the Bible?

Well I am only one person, and I think it would take hours for me to put each one of those into context so that you could understand. There are simply too many of those quotes.

This is the Last Days. 2,000 years may seem like it has been too long, but they were talking about relative to the length of time which had come before, which was already 4000 years. Time is almost finished. I don't know how much time is left, but I would say that even if we were in the latter half of days, that would still make it the last days.

That's because believers do not die. Believers go to sleep. Their souls go to heaven. They never die. The people who die are the ones who when they sleep go to hell. Those are the unbelievers. So when He says they will see, they will see, cause they will go to heaven when they die. That is what is meant by everlasting life; never seeing death.

What Paul meant here is that it would be better to live godly without a wife than to try to live godly while having a wife. The husband has to concern himself with pleasing his wife, while the unmarried man can concentrate solely on God. If you continue reading, Paul says exactly that, but you just take these quotes from the atheists and you believe they support the non-existence of God somehow.
This simply means that some Christians will be alive and remain on earth when Christ comes, meaning that there will be Christians who will be alive when Christ returns. (As opposed to the group of Christians who are already in heaven with Jesus.) That is a prediction of the future, not His present day. The souls of Christians who die before Christ's return are in heaven with Him. Those Christians who are already living on earth when Christ returns do not need to go to heaven to be with Him because Christ is at that point coming back to the earth. Do you get it now? Christ will be coming to the earth. Therefore the living Christians will meet Him on earth, rather than having to go to heaven to meet him.

Here I believe he is talking about the gift of the Holy Ghost, not the second coming of Christ. He was talking about those who knew about God but refused to believe.
This is the end times, which means the deceptions are going to get stronger and worse. So pay attention and pray.

This is another prediction but also an instruction. When the time is right in the future, they are told what they should do, if they happen to live in that area of the world at that time.
No this was a prediction and warning for people who see those things (events) come to pass, meaning when those things come to pass, not as in right now. See "come to pass" is an indication of the future. When He says generation, He means the those things will happen within the average lifespan of the individuals who are alive at the time when those things start happening. As in, from start to finish those things will happen over the course of a few short years, without giving a definite time frame.

It's easy to be deceived because you're not a believer. If you believed, God would give you the Holy Ghost, and then you'd understand.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Well, to turn the topic back to it's intended thing and not a debate about whether people are going to hell, third eyes, magic, and new age stuff, etc... I'm talking to a girl in Vietnam now. She described herself as "not religious" but said she goes to church at Christmas time (and she's sad she can't make it this year due to work) knew a few Bible stories, and actually even did things like encouraging me to go to bed early so I can get to church on time, etc, and said she'd like to know more about Christianity (though I've not pushed this issue much to her yet.) She's very conservative morally as well. Does she sound like she would formally convert to Christianity, or no? At the very least I cannot see conflict with her with regards to religion, but I'd like to raise my children Christian, obviously it's just something I'm going to have to discuss sometime, but I'd like to know anyone else's experiences regarding this.

I am an Orthodox Christian, so Adama will say I'm going to hell/etc, but the other problem is in Vietnam there's only one Orthodox Church in South Vietnam, and she lives in Hanoi, and her family somewhat close to there as well, and more job opportunities exist in Hanoi. In Hanoi there's a pan-Orthodox/Lutheran/Anglican/general liturgical church, but no Orthodox one at all.

Any help from people with experience with this would be appreciated. She really is a very sweet girl, basically out of my dreams, but it would be I guess a deal breaker to not marry a Christian. But at the same time, many many girls in USA are "Christian" on paper, but not in actuality at all in their private belief or moral standards (or don't even make it to church once a year like she does...) whereas her it almost seems the opposite, and this seems much easier to "fix" or change. But at the same time, we can't expect anyone to drastically change or "fix" with romantic partnerships, right?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Havent read the whole thread, but quickly:

(1) Saw a write-up about the topic of mixed marriages on a Buddhist site. All posters there concurred that in mixed Buddhist-Christian marriages, the Buffhist ended up converting, Becaue loyalty to the faith was far more important to the Christian.

(2) As an Orthodox, you should research what church says about Catholicism. Only serious points of difference, to my knowledge are the "filioque" (there is clear New Testament scripture on both sides of the issue) and Papal Supremacy/Papal Infallibility/Immaculate Conception

(3) Catholic church is cool with Orthodox taking Mass there, as long as they have ok from their bishop. THEY accept YOUR baptism, even if you dont necessarily reciprocate. I bet if you talked to a bishop and explained th circumstances you would get permission.

SO, just go to Catholic churches in Vietnam.

If you study thir history, you will not doubt their faith. They suffered a lot for the Faith. And when in Mass they are praying for the Pope, just skip that part, or as I do, pray for him like you would pray for any rank sinner.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
mentor
Freshman Poster

Post by mentor »

As I see in profiles from Vietnam girls, many girls declare 'no religion'.
I don't think this is equal to 'atheism', I think that maybe it is easier to convert to Christianity.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

mentor wrote:Besides Philippines, the christian population is still the minority in this part of Asia.
All articles I read, tell that christianity vastly expands in these countries. In some decades, they will be christian countries!
I am mainly talking about Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia.
I never noticed anything about 'vastly expanding Christianity' in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia, despite I am visiting frequently these countries.

Only a few percent of the entire population in this area are into Christianity, despite a lot of missionaries are trying to convert local people.

The only country I know in that region with a significant and stable Christian population is Malaysia, about 10 percent of its population. Christianity, which is popular among some Chinese and some Indian people is not growing and not declining since decades.

I cannot comment about Vietnam and Indonesia.

About Far East, in Japan only a few are Christians.

However the situation is totally different in South Korea, 30+ percent Christianity, popularity growing, and South Korea might become in future another country with a Christian majority.

After the Philippines South Korea is already no. 2 country in all SE Asia+FE Asia with Christianity very much alive.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Of course they can. Whether you're Asian, white, black, Hispanic etc. it doesn't matter in the relationship with God. As a Chinese Christian who has struggled with my faith at times, when I was at a weak point I had even considered giving Buddhism another go. Mind you, I am not referring to the Buddhist / Daoist / Confucian / folk hybrid religion practiced throughout much of China. I was investigating and learning about authentic Mahayana Buddhism. I tried to give Buddhism a chance, but at the end of my investigation I could not accept Buddhism after all. Along the way God was letting me know that while I had the free will, like any other human being, to explore, He would always be Lord and no other path is good. I am definitely saddened by the number of false teachers and false churches these days, a sign we're really approaching the End Times as described in the Book of Revelation, and professing Christians, especially those in positions of ministry, who are worldly and full of abusive behaviors etc. while claiming to preach the Good News in the name of God will be judged according to their deeds and their beliefs.

What makes me sad is how Christianity has often been perceived as a symbol of European imperialism and colonialism. It is without doubt that European imperialism and colonialism in the last few centuries has brought lots of suffering to peoples across the world. This has contributed to the perception of Christianity as something "Western", when it's very much Eastern. The Hebrew people of the Bible are a Semitic people of West Asia, and God came in the flesh as an Eastern / Asian man. God is no longer just the God of Israel, He is God of humanity. The enemies of Israel in the Old Testament all belonged to the continent of Asia.

Siddartha never claimed to be a deity that people must worship, he merely saw himself as someone who had attained a high level of philosophical understanding. He encouraged his followers to not rely on authority, but to seek their own experiences and paths to enlightenment. Buddhism in today's world is very much a religion, it never makes claims to being the right path to salvation but it's so rigid in organization and practice that I feel it doesn't match up to its claims. Buddhism believes that desire is the root of suffering, even good desires have potential to lead to suffering. While there may be some truth to this, Buddhism then claims that to liberate oneself is to seek freedom from the nature of desire. That is an impossibility, because we are human beings with bodies, minds, and souls. If we have the capacity for desire, as given by God, then that must mean there are good reasons for us to have them in the first place because God is Good. To not desire makes one an empty, hollow shell, and that is not the way we were intended to be because God's breath gave us life. While Buddhism keeps referring to liberation from desire, the very will to be freed from desire is a desire that will cause much suffering. This is not what God wants. Good desires are meant to bring us long-term joy and satisfaction.

Buddhism's belief in reincarnation says that we must still pay for bad karma from several lives ago. How is that just? I know that God creates each and every one of us with a new body, mind, heart and soul, that we are free to choose whom to serve. Do we side with God, or the Devil? Buddhism also teaches that good karma can also take several lifetimes to repay. Either way, to me it's essentially the denial of free will. Even with good karma that takes several lifetimes to repay, I feel that I did not merit it. I have assurance in God that the choices I make in this earthly life will directly influence the condition of my being, of my spirit. Buddhism does not offer any assurance in the results of the decisions we make.

Buddhism, at least for schools such as the Zen, keeps referring to the idea of the "true self." However, it has never explained what this "true self" is. However, part of it is the denial of self (no-self) and the denial of certainty, that there is only constant change. Does Buddhism teach we're of a physical nature, of a spiritual nature, of both, or of something entirely different? It offers no answers. Nothing is conclusive, it does not even try to affirm why its own beliefs are the most coherent. Say, for example, that I abide by the belief that things are ever changing, and one day I decide that Buddhism is no longer good for me. I can leave it without any costs, and it offers no guidance or clue as to what will happen. It is extremely difficult for me to stomach something that could really give less of a darn about me when it comes to which side I choose. Something that I can enter and drop so freely is not secure. If Buddhism does not make any exclusivity to salvation, then to me there is no reason to pursue Buddhism. However, in practice, Buddhism can be JUST as rigid as any church, mosque, synagogue and so on. The Buddhist idea of salvation is essentially denial of the physical, emotional, and spiritual components that all work together to make us living beings.

When it comes to the explanation for the evils of human nature, there is no other explanation to me other than that we are born with sin in our nature. Whether we choose to cultivate sin, or cultivate goodness, peace, and righteousness, depends on whether we follow God or Satan. Buddhism has no good explanation for morality. In God, we have the free will to make a conscious decisions and we will be bearing all of the positive and negative results in this life.

Buddhism is so impersonal and uncaring, denying the fundamental workings and truths of being human. We were created to be sentient beings with the ability to perceive self, others, and to know God, we were made in God's image because God Himself is sentient yet far greater than us. God never wants us to deny our ability of judgment because He Himself judges, and our ability to judge is a reflection of who He is. In God, there is nothing as selflessness understood in a Buddhist sense, because the very awareness of self-being, constancy, and identity is what gives us the ability to have a personal relationship with God.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
mentor
Freshman Poster

Post by mentor »

Bao3niang thanks for posting your thoughts.
It is so hopeful to hear that chinese and other asian people, approach the true light that christianity is.
Christianity is a revelation from God, not a human construction.
Our Lord respects our freedom, and it is up to us to make our choices in life, on which we will be judged of course.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

There has been quite a bit of material written on why Japan is so un-Christian as a country. Though I obviously have no intention to convert to Shinto, the mere concept of a God whom we have a personal relationship with, and who reveals Himself to us in our lives, is a very strange concept to many Japanese. I pray that more in Asia will get to know the mercy of Christ, that He is the only way to which we can access God. 'No one comes through to the Father except through me.'

Why is being a Christian so unique? To say that Christianity is the way because it has the largest number of professing believers in the world (but as we all know many of these sects aren't exactly..... Biblical) would be an extremely poor argument for Christianity. As far as my mere human understanding goes so far:

1. It is the only faith that acknowledges the inherent sinfulness of human nature, and that we cannot save ourselves from sinning no matter how hard we try. Therefore, we cannot atone for our wrongdoings except through re-establishing our relationship with our Creator who gifts us His mercy.

2. It does not rely on offerings or appeasement like many other religions of a different nature (though in the Old Testament the people of Israel did give ceremonial offerings to God), because God IS and WILL REMAIN loving yet just regardless of what we do.

3. Referring to #1, it is the only faith where we cannot be saved through works because the works themselves are not the essence of belief, but where good works come as a result of genuine faith.

4. It is the only faith where God not only makes Himself knowable and accessible at an intimate and individual level, but actively engages with our lives. This stands in stark contrast to the distorted Islamic view of their god, in which they believe that their god is beyond human comprehension and that it has a punitive rather than loving nature. When a Muslim cries "Allah (Allah is the Arab word for God) have mercy on me!", it is out of fear of retribution. When a Christian calls for God's mercy, it is out of a desire for God's benevolent forgiveness and guidance onto a better path. God is loving yet just, their distorted conception of god is more about fear and retribution with a personal relationship. Their god is a judge, but not a savior, and not a father.

5. The sacrifice of Christ, the act of God coming down from Heaven as one of His own creation to establish a new Covenant with mankind is not found anywhere else. God not only wants us to follow Him, He loved us so much that He was willing to save us personally. Christian faith is, above all, about how God has reached us rather than only thinking about how we can reach Him.

6. Being a faithful Christian is a matter of knowing the destination, but trying to make the journey as enriching and fulfilling as possible with God's hand. We know where our home will be, but along the way we have much to see and experience. In all other religions there is no assurance of home even for those who view themselves to be devotees, so it is a journey without the assurance of a better ending.

Though God is far greater than us, He is intensely personal and we can have a relationship with Him in ways that resemble how we relate to each other, because we were made in His image. While others may believe that favors can be gained through "do this and don't do that", God is not concerned about our superficial impressions because He looks at what's beneath. He does not care about the impressions we make, but what's really in our hearts, minds, and souls. We won't be closer to Him through adhering to a list of rules, we become closer to Him through engaging Him with what's inside us that will inspire us to be good, and to become better in the way we are. Just like how a real, functional relationship is not about rules and is not a transaction, it comes from a desire within to please and bring joy to each other, and the knowledge that constantly behaving negatively will bring sorrow and anger, and strain the relationship to the point where one says: "I have give you many chances and I have hoped for better but you constantly refuse to change you ways. Therefore, I have no choice but to cast you out because I will no longer tolerate your unrepentant wickedness." While God's forgiveness is unconditional apart from blaspheming the Holy Spirit, we must seek it.

Now, which one of these modes of interaction is a healthy parent-child relationship to you? Or between a couple?:

1. A does this for B to make B happy, if A does not constantly try to make B happy, things will go badly for A. B believes a good relationship is where A caters to all of B's wishes, and B can choose the response however they wish. A has a constant desire to please B to gain approval and avoid B's punishment. (I have to do this for him, or else......)

2. A and B genuinely desire the best for each other, and therefore, A tries to not do things that will hurt and upset B, knowing that B loves A and is good for A. Both A and B believe that a good relationship is a two-way street, where both have to give to each other, where both must make an effort and commitment. (I want to do this for him, and I do fear him being unhappy and upset, but I am doing this because I love him.....)
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
mentor
Freshman Poster

Post by mentor »

Bao3niang you mentioned really interesting points.

The expansion of christianity in this part of Asia is so hopeful.
With truly pure intentions, I would suggest to anyone who wants to make this personal path of salvation and cleaning of our sins through christian church, to try to learn more specifically about orthodox christianity.
A lot can be told, but at least what I would like to mention it is that it is the most genuine christianity we can have, directrly from the traditions of the first years of our Lord and first christians on earth.

If I would like to make just a single point of repeating miracle, among the thousands of our living-spiritualy-saints, it is that every Easter, in the Holy Tomb of our Lord in Jerusalem, among all the categories of christian faiths, only in the hands of the Orthodox patriarch the Holy Fire lights up....a repeating miracle every year...
The patriarch is officially searched before going into the Tomb with police appearance and other christians believers, for having any lighting source on him, but of course he has not...it is just a pure miracle...

http://www.holyfire.org/eng/

Christianity above all, but do yourself a favor and look at orthodox christianity.
mentor
Freshman Poster

Post by mentor »

I would also like to know about the difficulties of being a christian in China.
Is there freedom to choose the religion you want?
Any problems from persons that believe the other established religions there?
What about access to christian churches or priests?

I have read articles that Christianity vastly expands in China, and possibly in several years would be the most populated christian country in the world!
I am so glad for the China's christian brothers!