Is Our Earth FLAT and Motionless, Not a Spinning Globe?

Discuss conspiracies, mysteries and paranormal phenomena.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: Our Earth is Flat, Not Moving and Outer Space is a Hoax!

Post by HouseMD »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

Pretty much the definition of what has happened to many of the men in this forum and elsewhere as a result of the damage society, coupled with this conspiracy nonsense, has done to them.
Eightfold Path
Freshman Poster

Post by Eightfold Path »

HouseMD wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

Pretty much the definition of what has happened to many of the men in this forum and elsewhere as a result of the damage society, coupled with this conspiracy nonsense, has done to them.
The only move is for the positive, proactive members of this board to converse with one another.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I have no problem with conspiracy theorists. People who believe in conspiracy theories are just stupid, and their stupidity is not their fault. I have a much bigger problem with people like HouseMD, OutWest, and maybe Eightfold Path who seem to understand reality but do nothing to fix it. I have been struggling for years to organize a sane community, but there is virtually no interest in this.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

fschmidt wrote:I have no problem with conspiracy theorists. People who believe in conspiracy theories are just stupid, and their stupidity is not their fault. I have a much bigger problem with people like HouseMD, OutWest, and maybe Eightfold Path who seem to understand reality but do nothing to fix it. I have been struggling for years to organize a sane community, but there is virtually no interest in this.

Just curious, how do you know one way or the other, what we are doing?
Somehow, you have decided it is nothing. I could say, I have tried to do something, but no one was interested.
If I meet failure, I return to the drawing board and change my plan.

You post some excellent things here, but its not your obligation to give a full accounting
On this forum as to how you spend your time.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

fschmidt wrote:I have no problem with conspiracy theorists. People who believe in conspiracy theories are just stupid, and their stupidity is not their fault. I have a much bigger problem with people like HouseMD, OutWest, and maybe Eightfold Path who seem to understand reality but do nothing to fix it. I have been struggling for years to organize a sane community, but there is virtually no interest in this.
I've actually got a pretty same community of friends already, and I'm working on the long process of saving 2 million dollars so I can be financially free. I have a devoted, loyal, loving, traditional girlfriend, and I've got a ten year plan that is extremely comprehensive. I'd say I'm doing okay.
Eightfold Path
Freshman Poster

Post by Eightfold Path »

No kids, no record, and a sense of direction. Not to mention a decent-paying job in the field I went to school for. I'm going to assume that was a projection, as 2 out of the 3 members you mentioned have the will required to fix one's issues, and a sane social circle to boot.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

HouseMD wrote: I'm working on the long process of saving 2 million dollars so I can be financially free. I have a devoted, loyal, loving, traditional girlfriend, and I've got a ten year plan that is extremely comprehensive. I'd say I'm doing okay.
2 million dollars would be enough for you to be financially free? There's no strategy I can concoct that would make it enough for me.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

The_Adventurer wrote:
HouseMD wrote: I'm working on the long process of saving 2 million dollars so I can be financially free. I have a devoted, loyal, loving, traditional girlfriend, and I've got a ten year plan that is extremely comprehensive. I'd say I'm doing okay.
2 million dollars would be enough for you to be financially free? There's no strategy I can concoct that would make it enough for me.
At a 4% withdrawal rate, invested in a moderately conservative portfolio, that is enough to give you an inflation-adjusted post-tax income of 68k for life. That's more than enough for me to live very, very comfortably in the PI or many other SEA or SA countries forever, working as I please for the joy of it rather than the income.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

HouseMD wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:
At a 4% withdrawal rate, invested in a moderately conservative portfolio, that is enough to give you an inflation-adjusted post-tax income of 68k for life. That's more than enough for me to live very, very comfortably in the PI or many other SEA or SA countries forever, working as I please for the joy of it rather than the income.

Are you factoring coming inflation sufficiently into your projections? would figure at least a required return of 1.5 x the inflation rate of the last 10 years as a return required at minimum to keep your capital intact. If you are able to get a return of 3 x that inflation rate, you will have far more to brag about . low interest rates have been cloaking inflation...it won't go on forever.

What kind of total return do you project you need to preserve capital and provide income?
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

OutWest wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:

Are you factoring coming inflation sufficiently into your projections? would figure at least a required return of 1.5 x the inflation rate of the last 10 years as a return required at minimum to keep your capital intact. If you are able to get a return of 3 x that inflation rate, you will have far more to brag about . low interest rates have been cloaking inflation...it won't go on forever.

What kind of total return do you project you need to preserve capital and provide income?
On a 7% return, I match 3% inflation. Anything over that either compensates for higher inflation or increases my capital. And that just needs to work on the law of averages. I'm pretty diversified, and half of my portfolio is fairly safe from market crashes. Plus it's not like I won't be earning a working income as a supplement- my market capital only represents my passive income stream. I'll be doing plenty of things to stay busy and keep my medical skills up, probably working a quarter of the year in the states to pull 80-100k of additional earnings, and to visit my family and friends. So realistically I'll have a passive income stream that only represents about half of my earnings, sans whatever I make abroad for the other 39 weeks of the year.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

HouseMD wrote:I've actually got a pretty same community of friends already, and I'm working on the long process of saving 2 million dollars so I can be financially free. I have a devoted, loyal, loving, traditional girlfriend, and I've got a ten year plan that is extremely comprehensive. I'd say I'm doing okay.
You may be doing okay, but you aren't doing this:
HouseMD wrote:actually affect a great deal of change in both individuals and society. If we focused more on spreading practical, goal-focused knowledge designed to net real men actual results in their personal and professional lives, networked and shared business and living ideas, and built a synergistic community of individuals that were focused on effecting real change in both themselves and others, we could have something awesome
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

OutWest wrote:Just curious, how do you know one way or the other, what we are doing?
Somehow, you have decided it is nothing. I could say, I have tried to do something, but no one was interested.
If you had tried something, I assume you would have posted about it here. So I assume you haven't tried anything to counteract "the West is sliding back towards the mind of the primitive". Of course that is your choice, but why complain about something that you have no intention to try to fix?
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

fschmidt wrote:
OutWest wrote:Just curious, how do you know one way or the other, what we are doing?
If you had tried something, I assume you would have posted about it here. So I assume you haven't tried anything to counteract "the West is sliding back towards the mind of the primitive". Of course that is your choice, but why complain about something that you have no intention to try to fix?
What fool would post serious efforts about ANYTHING on a forum like this except broad generalities? At this point, you are even willing to judge my intentions? Perhaps you might reconsider. You are seeming to me, to be quite lost on the edge of despair, a cynical sage, but I don't take my own superficial impressions too seriously
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

fschmidt wrote:
HouseMD wrote:I've actually got a pretty same community of friends already, and I'm working on the long process of saving 2 million dollars so I can be financially free. I have a devoted, loyal, loving, traditional girlfriend, and I've got a ten year plan that is extremely comprehensive. I'd say I'm doing okay.
You may be doing okay, but you aren't doing this:
HouseMD wrote:actually affect a great deal of change in both individuals and society. If we focused more on spreading practical, goal-focused knowledge designed to net real men actual results in their personal and professional lives, networked and shared business and living ideas, and built a synergistic community of individuals that were focused on effecting real change in both themselves and others, we could have something awesome
I've already built a solid community in the real world. And once I've gotten myself settled, I plan to expand it and get involved with others. Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of training and have very little income and flexibility.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

That's too much, I always remember we can have a sudden heart attack at 35-40, then all the effort for what?
If you can still make 100K "part time", that should do it, unless you really like expensive stuff.

I look forward to spending just 20K a year in Vietnam or wherever and have my computer/online projects exceed that (still by as much as possible of course). At this point I've simplified my life so much that seems a nice balance, I would think.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?