My fiance is a former lesbian but dislikes this woman

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

My fiance is a former lesbian but dislikes this woman

Post by S_Parc »

A long time ago, actually, 20 years to be exact, Alanis Morrisette released 'Jagged Little Pill', her signature CD and widely considered to be one of the major rock albums of the 90s.

In terms of total records sales, individually, she'd actually slightly edged out Metallica's "Black Album" and Nirvana's "Nevermind", in terms of total global sales for the decade. Sure, most rock aficionados will never consider her to be of the caliber as the aforementioned acts but still, her stamp for the time period was clearly imprinted.

My GF, a lesbian, as well as a fan of Rock 'n Roll, despises this woman and sees her as nothing more than a basket case, using alternative music, as a way of lashing out at the world, for not having her act together. From Mel's p.o.v., next to Metallica, Alanis is a complete joke but with a few billboard hits.

This is "Head Over Feet", one of 'Jagged Little Pill's' best songs. Now tell me, does this look like a woman with her head in the right places? I think just her face in this video is that of a f'cked up woman ...

Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Re: My fiance is a former lesbian but dislikes this woman

Post by S_Parc »

S_Parc wrote: From Mel's p.o.v., next to Metallica, Alanis is a complete joke but with a few billboard hits.
And from my p.o.v., this c*nt can't even shine Metallica's buckle, nevermind trying to compete against them.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

AB discussion thread

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

S_Parc wrote:
S_Parc wrote: From Mel's p.o.v., next to Metallica, Alanis is a complete joke but with a few billboard hits.
And from my p.o.v., this c*nt can't even shine Metallica's buckle, nevermind trying to compete against them.
In all fairness, Metallica is mostly terrible. She is definitely worse though.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

HouseMD wrote:
S_Parc wrote:
Ok, now I do acknowledge that Metallica is overrated but c'mon, they're a legitimate rock band, granted, not so much after the mid-90s.

For the sake of posterity, here's the 'Black Album' in its full *Top 40* regalia ...

"The Unforgiven"

“Sad But True”

“Of Wolf And Man”

“Enter Sandman”

“Wherever I May Roam”

“Noting Else Matters”

AB discussion thread

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

S_Parc wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
S_Parc wrote:
Ok, now I do acknowledge that Metallica is overrated but c'mon, they're a legitimate rock band, granted, not so much after the mid-90s.

For the sake of posterity, here's the 'Black Album' in its full *Top 40* regalia ...

"The Unforgiven"

“Sad But True”

“Of Wolf And Man”

“Enter Sandman”

“Wherever I May Roam”

“Noting Else Matters”

One good album does not a good band make.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

HouseMD wrote:One good album does not a good band make.
I was planning on putting up some clips from the "Load" albums plus "And Justice For All", "Master of Puppets", and "Ride The Lightening" but then, this would turn into a Metallica appreciation thread than one, bashing Alanis Morrisette.

AB discussion thread

Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

S_Parc wrote:This is "Head Over Feet", one of 'Jagged Little Pill's' best songs. Now tell me, does this look like a woman with her head in the right places? I think just her face in this video is that of a f'cked up woman ...
... who's too lazy to properly lip sync her own effing song. :roll:
Of course lyrics which are essentially "chase me even though I'm not worth it" and "I have no agency" would explain why the song was so popular in its day. She wasn't the only one ...

Don't forget WHATCG?'s "I will do laundry if you pay all the bills ...".
What a bargain. Sign me up. :lol:

Mid-90s had a bunch of "where's my emo-tampon/beta bucks?" songs; started me listening to less music radio and more talk radio.
Now I remember why.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Teal Lantern wrote:... who's too lazy to properly lip sync her own effing song. :roll:
Of course lyrics which are essentially "chase me even though I'm not worth it" and "I have no agency" would explain why the song was so popular in its day. She wasn't the only one ...

Don't forget WHATCG?'s "I will do laundry if you pay all the bills ...".
What a bargain. Sign me up. :lol:

Mid-90s had a bunch of "where's my emo-tampon/beta bucks?" songs; started me listening to less music radio and more talk radio.
Now I remember why.
Yes, Alanis is a joke. I guess then Metallica's "Whenever I May Roam" from my above 'Black Album' list, is a nod, for the MGTOW type ...
Metallica wrote:And my ties are severed clean
The less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign
Rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will, yeah you will

But I'll take my time anywhere
I'm free to speak my mind anywhere
And I'll never mind anywhere
Anywhere I roam, where I lay my head is home

AB discussion thread

Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

S_Parc wrote:I guess then Metallica's "Whenever I May Roam" from my above 'Black Album' list, is a nod, for the MGTOW type ...
Metallica wrote:And my ties are severed clean
The less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign
Rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will, yeah you will

But I'll take my time anywhere
I'm free to speak my mind anywhere
And I'll never mind anywhere
Anywhere I roam, where I lay my head is home
How about something for HAers and other men still in the bargaining phase?
I offer LED ZEPPELIN's "Going To California"
Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine.
Made up my mind to make a new start, Going To California with an aching in my heart.
Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair.

Took my chances on a big jet plane, never let them tell you that they're all the same.
:shock: :lol:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Teal Lantern wrote:How about something for HAers and other men still in the bargaining phase?
I offer LED ZEPPELIN's "Going To California"
Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine.
Made up my mind to make a new start, Going To California with an aching in my heart.
Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair.

Took my chances on a big jet plane, never let them tell you that they're all the same.
:shock: :lol:
I'd listened to 'Led Zeppelin IV', for much of my life, and I'd never correlated that lyric to a "dream" flower girl. Instead, it was just the road or path towards the hippie life in Cali.

As for Zeppelin, I'd always thought that the "Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid" was their signature duo track as to male-female relationships ...
Led Zeppelin wrote:Livin', lovin', she's just a woman.

*Come on, babe on the round about,
Ride on the merry-go-round,
We all know what your name is,
So you better lay your money down.

Alimony, alimony payin' your bills,
Livin', lovin', she's just a woman.
Here are both songs, from 'Led Zeppelin II', played back-to-back, as most classic rock stations would do ...

AB discussion thread

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Considering that a person must sell their soul to the devil to become a celebrity musician, this is par for the course. They're evil beings, almost without exception. Listen to any of their lyrics and you will see their messages are destruction, and they are aimed mostly at children, to destroy impressionable minds. Now I have her stupid voice in my head. So I'm gonna play some Mozart.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Adama wrote:Considering that a person must sell their soul to the devil to become a celebrity musician, this is par for the course. They're evil beings, almost without exception. Listen to any of their lyrics and you will see their messages are destruction, and they are aimed mostly at children, to destroy impressionable minds. Now I have her stupid voice in my head. So I'm gonna play some Mozart.
Yes, Alanis is evil/whacked and all that.

On the other other foot, I think Metallica's "One" is possibly, the greatest anti-war song of all time. And it drives its point home very well. And yes, it references *God* et al in its lyrics, given the result of what happened to that veteran in the trenches of WWI.

Yes, I'm officially guilty of turning this into a Metallica appreciation thread but they really earned their kudos here.

AB discussion thread

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

S_Parc wrote:
Adama wrote:Considering that a person must sell their soul to the devil to become a celebrity musician, this is par for the course. They're evil beings, almost without exception. Listen to any of their lyrics and you will see their messages are destruction, and they are aimed mostly at children, to destroy impressionable minds. Now I have her stupid voice in my head. So I'm gonna play some Mozart.
Yes, Alanis is evil/whacked and all that.

On the other other foot, I think Metallica's "One" is possibly, the greatest anti-war song of all time. And it drives its point home very well. And yes, it references *God* et al in its lyrics, given the result of what happened to that veteran in the trenches of WWI.

Yes, I'm officially guilty of turning this into a Metallica appreciation thread but they really earned their kudos here.

Maybe you're right. I can't listen to that kind of music anymore because it grates on my ears and irritates me. I will look up the lyrics though.

I just read them, and remember the song.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Adama wrote:
S_Parc wrote:Yes, Alanis is evil/whacked and all that.

Maybe you're right. I can't listen to that kind of music anymore because it grates on my ears and irritates me. I will look up the lyrics though.
Pick a day when you want to be depressed. There is nothing uplifting about that song, just the pure shock/horror of war.

AB discussion thread

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

S_Parc wrote:
Adama wrote:
S_Parc wrote:Yes, Alanis is evil/whacked and all that.

Pick a day when you want to be depressed. There is nothing uplifting about that song, just the pure shock/horror of war.

I don't feel depressed very often anymore, but if I wanted to listen to a sad song, I'd prefer this one: