Been in Peru for 4 months

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
mahadeveshwara
Freshman Poster

Been in Peru for 4 months

Post by mahadeveshwara »

Hey what's up...

So I have been here in Peru for months. I haven't moved from the city where I'm staying, because it's easy to just walk around here and get whatever I want, and I've been focusing on work, learning Spanish. Also, it's cheaper to stay in one place for a long time than it is to travel.

I think a lot of the stuff we talk about on here is validated by my experiences. I feel like it is so much lighter, spiritually. The culture is more natural. I went to a dance club last weekend and the vibe was amazing. No cell phones, lots of people staying for a long time, having fun without showing off.

One thing that has really helped me to heal is just being able to look at people, in the street and such. In coastal northern US cities, if you look at women they'll often give you bad looks, so I just adopted the habit of closing myself off and never looking at anyone. Identity politics is doing so much damage to human culture by making people hateful and thinking that other have it so much better off (white females actually do, and ironically they are the ones instigating a lot of the hatred). Here it's more normal, and yes here in Peru you will get looks from girls if you are average or above average gringo. But aside from that, you still need to do the work, and women will be very fickle, changing their mind a lot, etc., as is the case with females around the world.

But I'm not really here for the women. I have barely put any effort into it. It is just part of a normal, healthy culture. And men need this, it's part of their psyche, it helps us to feel better, like there's something wrong if women aren't into you. It's actually part of women's psyche too, that it's important for them to be desired by the opposite sex. But AWs will deny it though.

I got my first 'bang' the other weekend, if that's so important to you guys, lol. Cute 25 y/o. I also got my cell phone stolen, and some cash, by some ppl partying at mi casa. I was careful when I first got here but then let my guard down. But they are sneaky about it. They'll act like they're your friend and then steal from you. Srs. Anyway, lesson learned.

Financially, I make about 50-75% of what I spend, without having to work too hard. Average expenditure is about 800 per month without having to skimp on anything. I should be grateful that I'm able to do what I'm doing, because I know a lot of people on here would want to be able to do the same. If I were a young US guy I would go into IT, then if you make 50,000 a year and live of 20,000, then in 3 years you could have almost 100K to make things easier, and take out maybe 5K a year. But I also want to diversify into land because I don't think the USD will be able to hold its value long term.

Just wanted to say what's up, add my two cents, and I might try to connect with some peeps on here. Thanks!
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Been in Peru for 4 months

Post by droid »

Hey thanks for reporting man please share some pictures with us.
As far as getting stuff stolen, it is interesting that sometimes people that are more open/friendly will also have less of the boundaries that make someone respect other's property. It kind of goes together. Sometimes I think your stuff is so safe in the states is because stealing from you might actually involve *gasp* some social interaction lol. :mrgreen: [im'generalizing heavily here]
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
mahadeveshwara
Freshman Poster

Post by mahadeveshwara »

Haha that's an interesting thought. This guy who helped me get laid and was hanging out at my place definitely had like no boundaries/inhibitions.

I feel like I need to limit going out because I usually spend a lot of money and also things happen beyond my control. And then every month or two I will get bored and decide to go out.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Where in Peru are you staying?

Sorry to hear you had your phone stolen. That happens a LOT in Peru unfortunately.

I lived in Peru for 6 years btw.
mahadeveshwara
Freshman Poster

Post by mahadeveshwara »

Hey chibolo, I'm in Arequipa. How do you like US compared to Peru?

Chicha Morada
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

mahadeveshwara wrote:Hey chibolo, I'm in Arequipa. How do you like US compared to Peru?
Great pictures. Arequipa is a nice city. I went there on my first trip to Peru. I lived in Trujillo in the north.

I'm not from the US, I'm from Belgium (Western-Europe). I love Peru and I miss it a lot. It isn't paradise and it is a country with a lot of problems, but yeah I like it. I am thinking of going back actually.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

If you want to avoid getting pickpocketed, put your important stuff in a shoulder bag and lock the zippers with a small combination padlock. That's what I do.

Also don't carry too much cash on you. Under 200 or 300 dollars is enough. Some guys are stupid and carry 500 dollars or more in their pocket. I don't know why. They tend to get robbed.

How did you get pickpocketed? Can you elaborate so we can learn from it and close such security breaches?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
mahadeveshwara
Freshman Poster

Post by mahadeveshwara »

Read between the lines of my post. I was out at a bar with some people and I brought them back to my place to hang out.
Luc Furr
Freshman Poster

Post by Luc Furr »

4 months in one place. Wow a nice relaxing normal life for a regular Joe.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

mahadeveshwara wrote:Read between the lines of my post. I was out at a bar with some people and I brought them back to my place to hang out.
Oh sorry. I didn't know what "mi casa" meant. Lol. Well then you shouldn't bring people you don't know to your place. And if you do then don't leave valuables lying around. Common sense.

How did they take your cash and phone exactly? You should carry a cheap looking phone in third world countries so it doesn't tempt thieves.

Btw is it warm year round in Latin America? Is it humid too?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Amaziah
Freshman Poster

Post by Amaziah »

That sounds good when someone gets to have a quality time because that kind of parts are the most important ones which helps someone in knowing most of the ways and that stays supportive for us big time which is the way for it.
For me the most reasonable source of traveling is kissimmee to boca raton transportation and i find it useful every time.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Winston wrote: Btw is it warm year round in Latin America? Is it humid too?
Peru has all kinds of climates. I lived in Trujillo (on the northern coast), which is called "la cuidad de la eterna primavera" (the city of eternal spring), because it has mild, spring-like weather most of the year. In the selva (jungle) region the climate is tropical and it gets very hot, while the sierra (highlands) has a colder climate.

Rebecca123
Freshman Poster

Post by Rebecca123 »

mahadeveshwara! Peru is such an amazing and natural place. I have never been to the place but, an uncle of mine had visited the place a few months ago. He told me so much about the place and after that I researched a little about it. Then I found that Peru is a nice place to visit and it has so many places to see in it like, Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley, Saksaywaman, Qurikancha, Cusco Cathedral and many others.
Travelin Man
Freshman Poster

Post by Travelin Man »

What are my chances with the girls if I don't speak a word of Spanish? Is that a deal breaker?

I am planning a trip to Lima and Cusco, but I am open to suggestions of other places you know. I work remotely so I can stay as long as I want.

I'm a white guy from the USA. Any tips you can share would be helpful thanks!
Begin with the end in mind
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

chibolo wrote:
mahadeveshwara wrote:Hey chibolo, I'm in Arequipa. How do you like US compared to Peru?
Great pictures. Arequipa is a nice city. I went there on my first trip to Peru. I lived in Trujillo in the north.

I'm not from the US, I'm from Belgium (Western-Europe). I love Peru and I miss it a lot. It isn't paradise and it is a country with a lot of problems, but yeah I like it. I am thinking of going back actually.
Why did you chose Arequipa? Yes, I've heard that "friends" will take advantage of you and steal from you in Latin America. I'm not surprised. What percentage of the Peruvians that you've met speak English? I found the lack of English a big problem when visiting Latin America.