How Would You Describe America Socially?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

How Would You Describe America Socially?

Post by Wolfeye »

Hey, everyone. I know we all bounce this topic around a bit, but I was wondering how you'd describe America socially? I'd also be interested in hearing thoughts on WHY America is the way it is. I noticed that it's a lot like a melting pot (whatever the metal, whatever the condition, whatever the shape- the effort is to melt it down & put it in this zeroed-out/nullified/dead-in-the-water type of state that seems to only be able to do the same thing at that point. "Pindo-esque," also comes to mind- not just this hapless creature that's very dependent on gadgets & gizmos & such, but the urge to INDUCE that seems to be at the root of that & the general undertone of basically trying to live other people's lives.

I know a lot of people on here are considerably more astute about history & anthropology than I am, so I'm figured I'd ask. There's been more than a few eye-openers on here for me, so I'm hoping for some more. Looking to head to Eastern Europe more than the Iberian at the moment, so I'm partially thinking about what to say to people when they ask why I moved.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How Would You Describe America Socially?

Post by fschmidt »

Depraved
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Wolfeye wrote:Hey, everyone. I know we all bounce this topic around a bit, but I was wondering how you'd describe America socially?
Anti social is a good way to describe America socially.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

In all honesty, the melting pot *thing* isn't what ppl think it is.

Today, the only *ethnicity* in America is Hispanic. In fact, if you apply for any jobs out there, they'll ask if you're white/Hispanic or not. In other words, the other whites ... like Slavic, Greek, Persian, Armenian, or Turkic nations, are *White* and thus, not ethnic. What that does is in effect, make the average Turk an socioeconomic equal to the average WASP, within the continent. This is very unique for the USA, whereas for the rest of the world, all whites aren't the same. If a Turk converts to some Trinitarian Christian or even Unitarian (or even New Age religion), he's pretty much, accepted within the USA.

If anything, the fact that the Boston Bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was a white Chechen-American, makes him more or less, a dissent white Russian/Slav (with an American passport), who'd decided to join an Islamic movement, than someone who's a terrorist at heart, a.k.a Sand N* word person. And thus, some people, obviously outside of the Boston area, may have some sympathy for his so-called emotional plight. If Dzhokhar were a Sudanese-American bomber (read: Black), nearly 100% of the nation would want the guy's head, not just the greater Boston area.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

Wolfeye wrote:Hey, everyone. I know we all bounce this topic around a bit, but I was wondering how you'd describe America socially? I'd also be interested in hearing thoughts on WHY America is the way it is. I noticed that it's a lot like a melting pot (whatever the metal, whatever the condition, whatever the shape- the effort is to melt it down & put it in this zeroed-out/nullified/dead-in-the-water type of state that seems to only be able to do the same thing at that point. "Pindo-esque," also comes to mind- not just this hapless creature that's very dependent on gadgets & gizmos & such, but the urge to INDUCE that seems to be at the root of that & the general undertone of basically trying to live other people's lives.

I know a lot of people on here are considerably more astute about history & anthropology than I am, so I'm figured I'd ask. There's been more than a few eye-openers on here for me, so I'm hoping for some more. Looking to head to Eastern Europe more than the Iberian at the moment, so I'm partially thinking about what to say to people when they ask why I moved.
Hey Wolfeye, I would describe America socially as really DEAD compared to other foreign countries and cultures for several reasons. For one as Winston has stated, the American social scene is DISCONNECTED. I personally think this is maybe due to the decades in the breakdown of the American family and once tight knit communities. Second, sadly Wolfeye, the U.S. social scene with few exceptions (such as college campuses, military bases, integrated neighborhoods, etc.) seems mostly RACIAL SEGREGATED!!! Many people in America tend to hang out in their own ethnic or racial groups for whatever reason. Third America has a VERY CLIQUISH social scene and is closed off to strangers verses most other countries in which strangers/foreigners are welcomed (hospitality is part of the culture) and far more open/inclusive. Wolfeye, I have experienced this first hand when I was given some hot tea by a Pakistani truck driver I was in Camp Udari, Kuwait. And later I was given a piece of pastry by an Iraqi worker at Camp Anaconda, Iraq (near Balad 60 miles north of Baghdad). The only time most Americans seem to want to deal with strangers is when it's business/work related issues or asking for directions. Then finally, America is one of the loneinest countries in the world to live in!!!! It's especially hard if you're single and have few friends if any ( for men in particular)!!! Plus, the older you are (over the age of 40 and above) the worse it is. This is because there is NO REAL SINGLE'S SCENE in America (except for bars or night clubs). Everything else is geared and marketed towards younger people, couples, families, and groups (such as vacation packages, special events, concerts, sports arenas, flights, etc.).
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

IraqVet2003: I noticed that- it's like the dynamic of magnets repelling each other! And anything you try to do, it's like you're supposed to do it without "fuel." They're completely disregardive of the logistics to anything! Can't get a job because you don't have work experience & no one will hire you. Can't get much else started because it's so fuckin' high-maintenance. Can't have an opinion about anything because it could have been different & would have been racist or something in that scenario.

[RANT AHEAD]
But I should start a family in that? Maybe with a woman that thinks having a good relationship with me or bothering with our kids is an abdication & she's some kind of sell-out? Or one that basically amounts to a live-in hooker pulling a long con & tries to take half my shit while she's still got the looks to get someone else?

Maybe none of this happens & everything's cool, but I can never enjoy it because everything's like walking on eggshells legally & the law frequently instigates with random people anyway. Nothing like doing time because some asshole smashed into the obviously wrong house looking for someone else & wants to play victim for what you may or may not have done in response. Or just plain getting maimed by their general frenzies. Maybe the kid could have something foul happen to them if they get locked up for splashing in a puddle at five years old- not that they'd be safe from things like that if they didn't splash in the puddle, of course (but it's fun to explain that to people that are easily as old as you, though). All things that just "happen," nothing to get worked-up about- since it's not an official & sensationalized law or anything.

I notice nobody seems to concern themselves with these things or take serious things seriously, but are so apeshit-crazy over insurance that they invest half their damn paycheck in it (knowing that they probably won't get much of anything from them if it WAS serious enough to really worry about, anyway). They also won't do as much of anything because they're worried about their insurance going up, so they've effectively paid for a straight jacket that's labeled a "life preserver" & only MIGHT work like one occasionally (metaphorically speaking).
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

IraqVet2003: Where would you suggest? You seem well-traveled & we seem to see eye-to-eye on things pretty frequently. I figure you'd be able to make suggestions. Got no problem with manual labor & have somewhat of a knack for languages- would eventually like to be some form of self-reliance instructor & don't think a bunch of ball-breaking regulations about being in the outdoors or what knives you can carry would sit well with me. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but it is something of an issue.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Disconnected. I think people in America rely on technologyto communicate. It's gotten to the point where people don't even have the social skills to talk to people in real time. They have to communicate via text or instant people. Hell! People won't even have an old fashioned phone conversation anymore. It's like everyone has lost the ability to "just talk". People simply aren't interested in any method of communication unless it involves words on a screen. If we are talking about the dating scene, It's all online now! You cant just approach a girl in real time, no, you have to message her on dating sites and she wont respond because she has 10,000 messages in her inbox.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

Wolfeye wrote:IraqVet2003: Where would you suggest? You seem well-traveled & we seem to see eye-to-eye on things pretty frequently. I figure you'd be able to make suggestions. Got no problem with manual labor & have somewhat of a knack for languages- would eventually like to be some form of self-reliance instructor & don't think a bunch of ball-breaking regulations about being in the outdoors or what knives you can carry would sit well with me. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but it is something of an issue.
Well Wolfeye, I would suggest Latin America (particularly Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, Brazil or maybe Argentina) for a nice places to become an expat for several reasons. First Wolfeye, compared to North America (U.S. and Canada), Western Europe (U.K., France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, etc.), or many East Asian nations/cities (Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong) Latin American countries have a lower cost of living than these other regions of the world. Second, most Latin American nations (except for Chile and Argentina) have year-round warm weather. Third, many South American women are some of the most beautiful ladies on the planet!! Think of where many of Ms. Universe winners, actresses, and models come from such as Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina, and Brazil. Many of these women love to keep up with their appearances, eat healthy, and stay in shape. Also, many of these Latin ladies still believe in TRADITIONAL GENDER ROLES and their minds are not as poisoned by feminism and gynocentric thinking compared to most modern-day women in the industrialized/western nations. This due to these places having a pro-male society/respect for men vs. misandry and the influence of religion such as Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, Evangelicals, etc. Fourth Wolfeye, Latin American countries are likely to have more fresh, cheap, healthy and locally grown food than in America that is often loaded with GMOs, MSGs, hormones, preservatives, etc. So Wolfeye if you want to go to any of these Latin American countries make sure to learn the Spanish language (Portuagese for Brazil). As for Belize, English is the official language and Panama has a large population of English speakers.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

IraqVet2003: Thanks. All those make good sense & I guess Belize might be a better idea to start with, since I don't speak much Spanish currently & I'd probably be better able to learn the Spanish that gets spoken (instead of the Castillian Spanish, that nobody seems to speak very often).

I notice that the Latin women DO tend to keep up their looks & worry about their family & such. I REALLY like that. Not just that a woman's got some meat on her & does things for her hair & skin & all that, but that she'll actually bother with her kids & not try to drive her man away. That they tend to engage you more is another point. AND you've got to pretty much be a dead man not to realize that she's interested in you- the Latin women are NOT all that subtle & I always had a hard time knowing.

Got to ask: How is it for a white guy down there? Is it really likely to get harassed by the cops? What about getting jobs? I always wondered if it would turn into a whole big thing if a white guy got with one of the appealing women down there ("taking all OUR good women" type of shit- like what the black women tend to say about white chicks with black guys or what white people say about Latinos with the jobs).