Sick of the rat race, sticky situation, what do?

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
enjoi
Freshman Poster

Sick of the rat race, sticky situation, what do?

Post by enjoi »

So, I met my fiance in manila 2 years ago. She has a Visa to move to the states and marry me. The thing I live in new england, it's an absolute shit hole here. No jobs and damn near impossible to find a safe apartment complex for us to livve in. She's supposed to move here in April. But Im sick of it all. I just want a simple life, The stress of the business world is making a mean asshole that I dont wanna be.

So, when I fly over to here soon Im thinkin of pulln a 180 on here suggesting we just stay in the philippines and do our best. I mean ya, we'll broke a lot of the time but she's got a great family to help us out. I guess I can teach english online or maybe get lucky and find some work.

Sorry for the rant, but this America lifestyle is eating at my brain like acid. So, am I crazy? Or am I trying to find happiness? Im only 30 btw so no pensions or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by enjoi on February 27th, 2016, 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Re: Sick of the rat race, sticky situation, what do?

Post by Wolfeye »

The idea of suggesting you stay there is good. Also, you might try different states (Vermont, Maine, etc...). They seem to be a bit less maintenance & even though they are still blanketed by the federal government, they don't seem to do everything in a "fail to succeed- even if it's only at failing" kind of way.

I'm planning to get out before the end of the year, myself- but there's a lot of ends to tie (still not clear on who to talk to & how to get residency permits/citizenship/living arrangements/etc...). What's it like in the Philippines? Is it hard for white guys originally from the states to live there?
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

Here's a thread about teaching English online:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8216

You could also move to a third country such as Vietnam, China, or Thailand where there are more opportunities to teach English. Both of you might be able to find work.
enjoi
Freshman Poster

Post by enjoi »

Wolfeye wrote:The idea of suggesting you stay there is good. Also, you might try different states (Vermont, Maine, etc...). They seem to be a bit less maintenance & even though they are still blanketed by the federal government, they don't seem to do everything in a "fail to succeed- even if it's only at failing" kind of way.

I'm planning to get out before the end of the year, myself- but there's a lot of ends to tie (still not clear on who to talk to & how to get residency permits/citizenship/living arrangements/etc...). What's it like in the Philippines? Is it hard for white guys originally from the states to live there?
How old are you? Where are you planning on going? I have no desire to stay in the states. If I do stay in the states then I'll just stay where I am. I'm not leaving my fiance, she is my life. The Philippines is awesome. It's a 3rd world country but the people are great, everyone is usually happy and very family oriented. Things you CANNOT find in the US. The only reason my fiance and I have been planning on living in the US is because of $. She thinks we can't survive financially without saving up in the states first. But she hasn't lived here yet, she doesn't understand how miserable this place is.
enjoi
Freshman Poster

Post by enjoi »

Traveler wrote:Here's a thread about teaching English online:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8216

You could also move to a third country such as Vietnam, China, or Thailand where there are more opportunities to teach English. Both of you might be able to find work.

Do guys really survive teaching english online? I think that would be my best bet. I've heard it's hard for filipinas to get visas in other asian countries so I don't know if that's an option.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

enjoi: I'm 28 & thinking of heading to the Czech Republic. Still have some others on the list, but that one keeps popping up. Just hope it's still part of the EU when I get there (since I'll probably be able to get Italian citizenship from my heritage & I could live/work/retire anywhere in the EU with that). If not, if it's easy for me to get citizenship there, that'd be good.

I figure I might not NEED citizenship in some of those places, but being a former American in some of them might work against me to begin with. Plus, America seems to hold a lot of sway over Western Europe the muslim invasion seems to have some Yankee fingerprints on them. Speaking of which, how are things on that level in the Philippines? I remember hearing that the Philippines & Cambodia clash with terrorists pretty frequently.
enjoi
Freshman Poster

Post by enjoi »

Wolfeye wrote:enjoi: I'm 28 & thinking of heading to the Czech Republic. Still have some others on the list, but that one keeps popping up. Just hope it's still part of the EU when I get there (since I'll probably be able to get Italian citizenship from my heritage & I could live/work/retire anywhere in the EU with that). If not, if it's easy for me to get citizenship there, that'd be good.

I figure I might not NEED citizenship in some of those places, but being a former American in some of them might work against me to begin with. Plus, America seems to hold a lot of sway over Western Europe the muslim invasion seems to have some Yankee fingerprints on them. Speaking of which, how are things on that level in the Philippines? I remember hearing that the Philippines & Cambodia clash with terrorists pretty frequently.

Only the Southern Islands of the Philippines has terrorist issues. The Main Island is mostly Catholic so not a muslim problem there. Czech republic might be ok, I don't know anything about it though. Definitely avoid the EU countries importing millions of muslims. There is going to be civil war in those countries. Only the Eastern Euro nations will be safe. Are you saving up or have money? Because getting citizenship without marrying a EU citizen will be hard and take a long time I would imagine.
Slick
Freshman Poster

Post by Slick »

While you're still in the U.S. better start hustlin'. Then once you have a nice stack of cash, move abroad.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

dnjoi: Well, for cash I think I can get some help from family. I didn't do college or try starting a business yet, so I figure there might be some funds available. I DO figure that family should help each other out & would do stuff for my kids without adding a bill into the equation, but I find that a lot of people here don't do family in a non asset-focused way. It's weird, because when work takes more & more away (time, income, personal freedom, etc...), they don't act like that's an issue- but when family costs them (time, income, personal freedom, etc...) they see it as an issue.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Slick wrote:While you're still in the U.S. better start hustlin'. Then once you have a nice stack of cash, move abroad.
Just remember you cannot carry more than 10 stacks of USD abroad via a U.S. airport as an FYI. So make it make sense,
and plan accordingly smart.
??????
Freshman Poster

Post by ?????? »

I hear you man. I am working two jobs just to get the money I need to move abroad to Eastern Europe. I still have expenses that suck up money, though.