In America, even roommates don't know each other

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

In America, even roommates don't know each other

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Here's one observation I would like to make regarding the isolating social scene in America. It's getting to the point where even roommates don't know each other. It's not in the same sense as when you live in the suburbs and people don't know who their neighbors are. People get acquainted with their roommates, but they don't get to know them on a deeper level. I experienced this first hand when I was living in the dorms during my college years. And I had friends who experienced the same thing. But there were exceptions. Here are some examples of how this trend is taking place based on my observations from when I was going to college.

In one dorm I lived in my second year of college, it was a traditional dorm, but almost everyone was in their bubbles. And their roommates were all people from their established cliques. But don't get me wrong; I knew some people in my dorm that year but not on a deeper level like a lot of people I met in a different dorm I lived in my first year in college, which was more communal for the most part. I lived in the same dorm as my first year during the last four weeks of my second year as well as my third and fourth years of college. But starting my third year, which was 2010-2011, even that dorm started becoming less communal as people got more cliquish and became absorbed into their iWorlds. However, I was also becoming more introverted myself as I had very deep friendships with two Hispanic girls I knew from high school, one of whom I still talk to today.

The apartment style dorms seemed worse, except during the 2012-2013 year when I instantly made friends with four other guys in NJROTC. But most of the time when I lived in those dorms, I got acquainted with my roommates but never got to know them on a deeper level. The spring 2014 semester was kind of an exception during the 2013-2014 year because that was when I was hanging out with an Australian exchange student living in my dorm (yes it was the same one who slept with almost every girl he brought).

Have any of you experienced this when you were in college if you lived in the dorms?
Eric
Experienced Poster

Re: In America, even roommates don't know each other

Post by Eric »

People don't connect here. It's very de-humanizing, and strange... I could never understand it. When I went to college, it was very impersonal and no one talked to each other. People set up lap tops and rushed to classes, and sat down. When the class was over no one mingled to, you know, have that normal social impulse that humans do/ should have...but instead got up and rushed out to do whatever.

It was very depressing. It is very depressing. I think I'm just ..used to it now. I know what you're talking about. I never lived in dorms but people never seem to trespass on that social stigma set up to enable you to develop deeper connections - I always wondered why this was set up.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

In America, we are a "nation of strangers." Most people don't talk to their neighbors, people are very cliquish and they don't like the idea of meeting new people.

Welcome to the United Lonely States of America. :D
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
AW Warning
Freshman Poster

Post by AW Warning »

jamesbond wrote:In America, we are a "nation of strangers." Most people don't talk to their neighbors, people are very cliquish and they don't like the idea of meeting new people.

Welcome to the United Lonely States of America. :D
Americans live like demons! American culture, all the way down to it's very molecular level, is absolutely pulsing heavily with hatred! America is a country where people hate everyone they don't know. Even though America is a mostly safe country, people, and even police, act like America is over a thousand times more dangerous than Berlin at the height of World War II. They literally act like every single square mile of even rural America is crawling with serial killers.

Welcome to the devil's dungeon!