Young Pinoys ain't that dumb, after all...

Discuss science and technology topics here.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Young Pinoys ain't that dumb, after all...

Post by publicduende »

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/02/ ... korea.html

Philippine robotics team wins big in South Korea

The Philippines ran off with three gold medals, four silvers, and seven bronze medals from the world-renowned International Robot Olympiad in Bucheon, South Korea from December 15 to 20 last year.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Young Pinoys ain't that dumb, after all...

Post by Jester »

publicduende wrote:http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/02/ ... korea.html

The Philippines ran off with three gold medals, four silvers, and seven bronze medals from the world-renowned International Robot Olympiad in Bucheon, South Korea from December 15 to 20 last year.
Thanks for posting.

Really good to see right now, as I look for that "ray of light".

God bless the Filipinos.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

publicduende wrote:http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/02/ ... korea.html

That's something, considering that just the other day a forum member here described them as a deeply stupid race. The only thing that annoys me about Filipinos is their in group cohesion. I don't hate them for it. It just perplexes me.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Good post duende, thanks.
Unfortunately there is little information beyond the article, and the youtube video sucks
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

droid wrote:Good post duende, thanks.
Unfortunately there is little information beyond the article, and the youtube video sucks
I bet you would have taken first place and made off with the girls. :wink:
Time to Hide!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

droid wrote:Good post duende, thanks.
I believe the article is genuine. I am here in Singapore sitting next to my business partner (a very smart kid from Manila) and he told me he knows 2 of those teams, one of them he actually mentored once on a Microsoft-sponsored competition and they won 2nd prize.
cdnFA
Junior Poster

Post by cdnFA »

They say Canadians are nice and polite but Paul Bernardo so I guess all Canadians go around raping and killing teenage girls.

ex·cep·tion
ikˈsepSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: exception; plural noun: exceptions

a person or thing that is excluded from a general statement or does not follow a rule.

I've noticed that the concept of an exception [s] seems to be difficult to grasp by some people around here.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Actually the results are typical, of the the highly educated filipino. You never meet them because they get the hell out of the country at the first opportunity.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Ghost wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:Actually the results are typical, of the the highly educated filipino. You never meet them because they get the hell out of the country at the first opportunity.
But isn't that just another way of saying it's not typical? It would be like saying that Phds are not typical among the population, except for the highly educated.
On this board, which seems to put abnormally high stock in average IQ scores and ideas of race, there seems to be a general consensus that filipinos are just plain stupid. I think what I meant was it's the same as anywhere else, except that the higher end of the educated population ends up overseas.

I mean, it's not like there's a robotics team on every corner in, say, Japan. Just having one is not typical, but these results, should the article hold true, are, in my view.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

The_Adventurer wrote:
Ghost wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:Actually the results are typical, of the the highly educated filipino. You never meet them because they get the hell out of the country at the first opportunity.
But isn't that just another way of saying it's not typical? It would be like saying that Phds are not typical among the population, except for the highly educated.
On this board, which seems to put abnormally high stock in average IQ scores and ideas of race, there seems to be a general consensus that filipinos are just plain stupid. I think what I meant was it's the same as anywhere else, except that the higher end of the educated population ends up overseas.

I mean, it's not like there's a robotics team on every corner in, say, Japan. Just having one is not typical, but these results, should the article hold true, are, in my view.
It seems very apparent in Makati when you deal with the educated higher level service people both in person or by phone or high school grad types in regular service jobs at supermarkets, restos, etc. that they are a lot slower and more forgetful in general than their counterparts in a place like Taipei where I am now or even their counterparts in other SE Asian capitals more in line with Metro Manila development such as Jakarta or Bangkok.

The other day, I was at a 7-11 here in Taipei and the guy was abnormally slow and awkward at processing my transaction which included making change for my large bill, microwaving dumplings, putting the other stuff in bag, and giving me chopsticks plus napkin. I kinda scratched my head for a moment with that deja vu feeling of being back in Phils. Then when the guy spoke, I realized he was indeed a special case, an intentional mentally challenged hire which you come across here from time to time. He was being supervised by another employee too.

After spending over a year on the ground in Makati spaced over a 2+ year period, I could relate hundreds of true stories where customers and those dealing with employees and public and private businesses and institutions are victims of what appears to be either chronic laziness, apathy, disorganization, forgetfulness, downright stupidity, or varied combinations of these factors. The more you try to achieve tasks there, the more resistance you face it seems. And things in general when they are working at all move in SLOW MOTION. To further add friction to the system, you have cellphone networks with very weak and spotty coverage, slowest Internet speeds in all of Asia except for Afgan, brownouts, traffic gridlock from early morning till late evening, and mind numbing bureaucracy, and certain business professionals who only answer their landlines and cellphone calls or texts when they feel like it.

I estimate that over half of the university educated Filipinos I have met on the ground there have already relocated abroad, are in the process of doing so, or are seriously considering it. If the average IQ is 85 and SD is 15 (perhaps close to actual case), then the top 16% of population will have an IQ of 100 or above. Given the reality of day to day life in Phils, it's understandable why those relatively bright people with 100+ IQ would wanna seek greener pastures.

Sure there are also certain types, especially the very bright (those 2-3 or more SDs above mean) who may instead choose to exploit special niches (sometimes ones that involve huge transaction volumes and others which involve somehow servicing the tiny wealthy and rich classes resident in country or doing something in BPO, finance, or IT space) you often see in some third world countries. Also, small and not so small foreigner business people come and sometimes exploit similar niches. Think Chinese, Indians, Japanese, and Koreans or certain wester companies or entrepreneurs.

Perhaps a new admin coming into place now will help Phils to catch up to the East Asian average over time and eventually reverse the brain drain. But it may take a lot of time cus it's been going on for so long. The Spanish don't exactly leave great legacies. Much of what you experience in the culture there has been present long before even the days of Marcos if what certain people from the deeper past claim is correct. It's really an uphill battle. So it's going to take some very powerful leadership with a wise vision to materially change the reality of life and work there.

To those who say, it was a relatively rich country in 60s-70s Asia. Well, back then, Asia ex-Japan was on par with Africa wealth and poverty wise. So if I tell you Ghana is one of richest countries in sub-saharan Africa today, does that really mean much? If people in S. Korea during the 60s were mostly affected by dire poverty or people in China subsisted in 60s and 70s, what sort of comparison base is that?

And to those who say it has one of the highest GDP growth rates in Asia, remember, part of that figure is just population growth. Cus Phils has about the highest birthrate in Asia. If your GDP growth only keeps pace with population growth, that means GDP per head is only remaining constant. Other factor regarding GDP growth is, who is benefitting from that growth? Is it the rich getting richer, upper middle class getting richer, or is it bringing the poor into the lower middle class and allowing more people to get a decent education and reduce poverty. These questions need to be examined. Those who throw out numbers without looking deeper are perhaps missing many things.

Oh, and one of counter growth effects of recent economic boom in Phils has been a massive increase in road vehicles, something like over 40% in last year or two. If that continues, Metro Manila will become a huge parking lot which will only hinder general productivity even more.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Rock wrote:
To those who say, it was a relatively rich country in 60s-70s Asia. Well, back then, Asia ex-Japan was on par with Africa wealth and poverty wise. So if I tell you Ghana is one of richest countries in sub-saharan Africa today, does that really mean much? If people in S. Korea during the 60s were mostly affected by dire poverty or people in China subsisted in 60s and 70s, what sort of comparison base is that?
When I lived in Korea, an old man there told me that after the war things were worse there than we were used to seeing in the Philippines today. He said it was the Philippines who sent them money, and engineers, taught them how to build bridges and high rise buildings. He said they owed the Philippines a great debt for making Korea what it is today. He made it sound like Philippines was a real Asian powerhouse back then.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

The_Adventurer wrote:
Rock wrote:
When I lived in Korea, an old man there told me that after the war things were worse there than we were used to seeing in the Philippines today. He said it was the Philippines who sent them money, and engineers, taught them how to build bridges and high rise buildings. He said they owed the Philippines a great debt for making Korea what it is today. He made it sound like Philippines was a real Asian powerhouse back then.
The poverty rate in Philippines as far back as 1965 was over 40% according to various surveys and after Marcos it rose considerably into the 80s.

S. Korea was war torn as was much of Europe after WWII. But it's what the countries do after disaster for the next 5, 10, or 20 years which sets them apart from one another.

During the 1970s, other relatively free SE Asian economies (the region ex-Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Burma) registered real economic growth and standard of living started an accelerated rise which would continue into the 80s. Not so for Phils. whose growth rate didn't keep pace with population growth and where the real standard of living declined as poverty rates rose. So basically, the golden era in Philippines still had over 40% poverty rate and squatter and shany towns covering a huge percentage of Metro Manila. It's just that it got worse instead of better post Marcos era for quite a few years. In that regard, things are actually a lot better today.

If one thing must have been better though back in 60s and 70s or perhaps even 80s, it would have been the traffic in Metro Manila lol.

Finally, keep in mind, the Philippines was under control by USA til end of WWII.