Expatriation Apocalypse - My New Guide

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Re: Expatriation Apocalypse - My New Guide For Broke Guys

Post by USA_luxury_prison »

Ghost wrote: Sure, hope it helps in some way.

That's a lot to leverage, then, speaking Spanish and having a connection to Mexico. Have you ever been abroad before? If not, you could start with Mexico and see if it works for you.
Yeah, it really helps me because I get a different perspective on things and gather different opinions on my situation. I really appreciate it.

I've been to Mexico but never abroad. I'd imagine going abroad is a lot similar like being in Mx in terms of having rich culture's, people being much friendlier/saner, nice architectural buildings,etc. I don't really like Mx though because it has it's own set of problems and would rather live elsewhere.
But the thing is, you can do graphic design / art without a degree. If you can figure out a way to use it in real life, you may have a way to do what you like without needing a degree. It may mean many unpaid nights working at home, freelancing, etc. but if you truly like it, you'll be able to press on and find some success. And eventually some income will come, but if it would be enough to live abroad, I don't know. So it seems a good idea to either try that or finish your degree and teach English.
Yeah I'll look into continuing Graphic Design. I don't like it a whole lot to the point where I want to be stuck in front of a computer for hours though.
Since you're a native Spanish speaker, you might also want to look into teaching Spanish as a foreign language. There is some need for that around the world, though not nearly as much of a demand as for English instruction. That would add a whole new level to your resume that most TEFLers don't have.
Good idea, that didn't cross my mind until now. TSFL?lol
For long term English teaching, you'll want a degree and TEFL (CELTA, TESOL, etc.) certificate.
One question, is it necessary to have a degree and a TEFL certificate to teach English abroad or is a TEFL certificate without a degree enough?
You could probably get a job fairly easily in either Russia or Ukraine. I often see job postings for International House in Russia, and for Ukraine there is American English Center, which I have read accepts newbie teachers without experience.
They also do job postings online like here in the US? I didn't know that
Keep doing those as stress-relievers and ways to get your mind off being in the West. Focus on your art/ graphic design as your money-maker.
Thanks, I'll do just that. Simple activities like those really do help a lot. Your info/tips are gold to me, thanks. Can I add you?
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Ghost wrote:Sounds like it's not quite your "true love" so to speak. If you can, find that thing you enjoy so much that you could devote an entire day to it and feel nothing but good when it's done. But definitely continue with graphic design to. I think that has a lot of transferable skills.
Yeah, will do.
Yup, it does exist. Sometimes those types of jobs show up on sites for EFL teaching too. I've also seen ads for teachers of German, French, and Japanese. Any major language has some demand for it.
Ok, gotcha.
In some countries you can teach either without a degree or without a TEFL. However, it's better to have both, as the trend is to require both these days. And there's no teaching job you can do with one or the other. A degree will open up more doors than a TEFL, but a TEFL will strengthen your resume compared to those without a degree. I got a TEFL anyway, even though I majored in English Education. And one more tip: if you get a TEFL, do an on-site course and of at least 120 hours and make sure at least 10 of those hours include practicum/practice teaching.
Oh ok, so a degree in anything(even if its graphic design)+ a TEFL certificate will give me much more opportunities when trying to land a teaching job abroad?
Yup, tons of job boards out there. You could start with http://www.eslcafe.com and http://www.eslteachersboard.com.
Ok thanks
Add me to what?
On here, as a friend?
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Ghost wrote:Yes, a degree in anything is sufficient. A degree in English/Education/Linguistics/etc. will help of course, but mostly for the better jobs. For most entry level jobs, just a degree in anything is fine.
Oh ok, so I guess I'm going to have to finish Graphic Design. I only have 1-1.5 yrs left to finish. Thanks for the insight.
On here, as a friend?
Yeah, I already added you. Idk I've never used it either until now. I guess it's just to stay in touch.
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 11th, 2018, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bnembhard
Freshman Poster

Post by bnembhard »

Ghost wrote:If at all possible, avoid racking up debt when finishing your degree. If you can't avoid that, it might be best to go slower and pay as much as you can as you go. I know that's kind of shitty advice since jobs are scarce and pay shit, while tuition costs are always rising, but debt is a killer and destroyer of futures.
Hey, ghost can you message me please? I want to talk to you.
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Ghost wrote:If at all possible, avoid racking up debt when finishing your degree. If you can't avoid that, it might be best to go slower and pay as much as you can as you go. I know that's kind of shitty advice since jobs are scarce and pay shit, while tuition costs are always rising, but debt is a killer and destroyer of futures.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'm actually lucky enough to have qualified for financial aid those 3 years I went to school awhile back so I didn't have to pay a dime. Hopefully I'll still qualify when I get back into school. Either way I plan on working for a couple of months up to a year to save up money so I can pay for gas/food/personal expenses,etc, while financial aid covers my tuition. It's difficult to juggle school and work at the same time so that's why I'm going to focus on one thing at a time. And yeah you're right about debt destroying many people's futures. The statistics of loan debt is crazy. Especially among college graduates.

Btw I just bought your book on Amazon a couple hours ago. Winston recommended it to me so I went ahead and bought it. Just another way of saying thanks.
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 17th, 2019, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Ghost wrote:Thanks. After you've read it, if you want to tell me what you thought about it, I'd appreciate it. Hope it can be of some help.
No problem, and will do.
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Expatriation Apocalypse - My New Guide

Post by Winston »

Hi everyone, check this out. @Ghost is back and his second book is out too. It's called "Expatriation Ragnarok". Here is the link and info below.

The West is dying. We can't make America great again. There are a lot of dystopian possibilities coming down the line: full unemployment, runaway technology, a post-civilized West. What is there left for a man to do?

Expatriation Ragnarok explores why the West has declined so much, what nightmarish changes are probably coming to society, and how expatriating is perhaps the last and only way for a man to mitigate any of this - his last chance to experience freedom.
Also see the Return of Ghost thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37521
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

Let me know when it is available in print format, I'll buy it. I hate ebooks.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 11th, 2018, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Discuss Ghost's new book "Expatriation Ragnarok" here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37537

@Ghost why don't you put the links to both books in your signature?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne