Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.

Which option would you choose?

Package A
50%
Package B
50%

Total votes: 10
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 18th, 2018, 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Re: Which would you choose?

Post by USA_luxury_prison »

Ghost wrote:Two options for HAers:
Package B:
You get native-level fluency in the language of your choice.
You get a guaranteed job in any foreign country of your choice. You'll only make $20,000 per year at this job, but you are guaranteed to like it and won't be fired. You'll of course like your boss and coworkers and have benefits such as health insurance.
You get 3 contacts/friends from your target country who you absolutely know you can trust, and who will help you with such things as networking, business, dating, housing, etc.

Choose one. Why did you make the choice you did?
Because of all the options you listed and I get the chance to be abroad even if it doesn't work out I'd still get to see what life is like on the other side.

You should've added: You'll have a hot/beautiful foreign woman waiting for you upon your arrival.
Last edited by USA_luxury_prison on May 10th, 2016, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Ghost wrote:Package A:
You get $300,000 cash. Tax-free, to use however you like.
No brainer.

That money could be invested to get you a permanent passive income equivalent to $1500 per month. A wise investor could find ways to get double that.

Now you can write your books, draw your comics, make your music, or do whatever it is you want to do to make money on top of that, while living easily in SE Asia, and freely traveling around the area. Also, you're still free to "get a job" if that's what you want, and you can funnel savings from that into your investments to eventually increase that passive income such that you need never work again.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Yeah 300k any time,
in my case [SEA] just a portion of that will buy you all the other stuff easily

I'll pm you my Paypal e-mail address, Ghost...
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 18th, 2018, 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 18th, 2018, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdnFA
Junior Poster

Post by cdnFA »

Ghost wrote:Two options for HAers:

Package A:
You get $300,000 cash. Tax-free, to use however you like.

Package B:
You get native-level fluency in the language of your choice.
You get a guaranteed job in any foreign country of your choice. You'll only make $20,000 per year at this job, but you are guaranteed to like it and won't be fired. You'll of course like your boss and coworkers and have benefits such as health insurance.
You get 3 contacts/friends from your target country who you absolutely know you can trust, and who will help you with such things as networking, business, dating, housing, etc.

Choose one. Why did you make the choice you did?
Package B. Even if I had no money, package B.
300K in Canadian financials would only yield about 12K or 15Kish Canadian. I assume 300K is in US dollars. Granted both the capital and dividends would increase over time.

However with package B.
I could get native language fluency in Chinese, something that would take easily 6 or 8K hours if not more. We are talking native which is beyond the CEFR C2 level here. Something that would be impossible for a normal brah.
Also with native Chinese would knows Hanzi which cuts about 1000 hours off of reaching the Japanese JLPT N1 level.
Native in Mando makes it easier to pick up Canto.
Native in Mando being a tonal language opens up other tonal languages like Viet and Thai.

8K hours at 40 bucks an hour would be worth about 300 grand.

I hate working, however if I could find something that I could do for 40 hours a week that I enjoyed and with people I enjoyed being with, well, sounds like a mighty fine hobby to me. Well sounds like the sort of thing a bro would do for free. Toss in 20K American and healthcare and that would be pretty good. It isn't a lot of money, girls would look down on you, and you would be hard pressed to save much on that sort of salary but still. I suppose with language and outside work, you could probably generate additional cash. The third point implies that one of your three contacts could help you get a girl who would accept a guy who doesn't make much but is happy with life [I don't want kids which helps] and could help you generate income in the field you love.

I don't think I'd want to do it in Japan though, 20K a year US would be cutting it a bit close, at least in a place like Tokyo.

In my actual situation, the 20K US as an additional would put me in a very good financial position.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Ghost wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote: No brainer.

That money could be invested to get you a permanent passive income equivalent to $1500 per month. A wise investor could find ways to get double that.

Now you can write your books, draw your comics, make your music, or do whatever it is you want to do to make money on top of that, while living easily in SE Asia, and freely traveling around the area. Also, you're still free to "get a job" if that's what you want, and you can funnel savings from that into your investments to eventually increase that passive income such that you need never work again.
It heavily depends on the goal, doesn't it? For someone looking to finance their hobby/business abroad, package A would be best. As far as investing, I'd agree - if someone knows what they are really doing, that could be quite lucrative. For me, I'd probably get a job, and add to the principal until my nestegg could give me a small livable income from the interest from the bank.

How much would Package A have to decrease until you thought the value was roughly equal to Package B?
That is a really tough one.

Speaking for me, personally, about Package B:

While I am not at native level fluency, I speak Chinese and Japanese really well. I don't read much Hanzi, though I remember quite a bit from my Japanese studies, I believe if I was willing to put in the effort, I could get pretty damn close to native level in both. I speak a little Korean too, and believe I can get that pretty high if I had incentive to do so. I can read Japanese much better than Chinese. I can read Korean, as they have the easiest alphabet in the world, but I can't understand what I am reading.

The job in package B only pays $20,000. To me that is just not enough. I have, on two occasions in the past, had jobs I liked, with a boss and coworkers I equally liked. They paid closer to six figures. I don't always make $20,000 doing my own thing, but that's one of the reasons I am living in cheap places in Asia. I have total freedom and total control. I also believe that my own thing can always grow and has limitless potential.

As far as the trustworthy contacts/friends. I don't always have 3, but in China, Japan, Philippines and Korea I have at least one in each. China probably 2, maybe 3 (In this case, trustworthy means I can trust them to be who they are and if I can be of benefit to them they will help me) In Japan I have many. That's really where I should be, but as mentioned above, $20,000 wouldn't cut it.

I can see why package B might be valuable to someone stuck in USA looking for a way out. I have already been in Asia 8 years, this trip, which is my third. I haven't been back since 2008. I have been slowly building my package B over those 8 years, but also built some in two previous trips.

(I am starting to think I should write another book about this story)

For me, I think Package A would have to drop to less than one year of Package B salary for me to consider going with B.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

The_adventurer,

You got to be a really smart guy to be able to pick up a second language I respect you even more. I know some Korean because of my Korean back ground but learning language was always hard for me. I tried to study CHinese but it's way tough.

I would have to pick B because learning a language in fluency level is great skill set to have. However, the $20,000 a year maybe Ok in places like the Philippines or parts of China but it's very low income in places like Japan or South Korea. However, if there is chance in raise or making additional income package B would look soo much more attractive.

The thing about package A is that $300,000 may seem allot but it's not allot like places in Japan or South Korea. If you look at the real estate there you might be able to buy a modest size apartment but that's it.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Take the money and run.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 18th, 2018, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

chanta76 wrote:The_adventurer,

You got to be a really smart guy to be able to pick up a second language I respect you even more. I know some Korean because of my Korean back ground but learning language was always hard for me. I tried to study CHinese but it's way tough.

I would have to pick B because learning a language in fluency level is great skill set to have. However, the $20,000 a year maybe Ok in places like the Philippines or parts of China but it's very low income in places like Japan or South Korea. However, if there is chance in raise or making additional income package B would look soo much more attractive.

The thing about package A is that $300,000 may seem allot but it's not allot like places in Japan or South Korea. If you look at the real estate there you might be able to buy a modest size apartment but that's it.
I don't know that I am really smart. It may be that language is my actual talent more than art or animation. I was fluent in Spanish when I was younger, and still understand a good bit.

I look at Package A solely as an investment tool, not as spending money. It wouldn't last too long in Japan or Korea. If, however, I can make $1000 or $1500 from my own work, and then invest package A to get an equivalent $1500 per month, I now have $3000 per month, which is doable, even in Japan. Ultimately, I would rather live in Japan than Philippines, even though I would miss the Philippines weather and laid back life.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

The question doesn't engage my imagination, but here's the fantasy of omnipotence I've been indulging in.

Clinton is debating Trump and I cause her to be completely truthful, allowing the demon controlling her to come to the fore. Asked about foreign policy, she responds: "Me and my Jew buddies are going to control the world, and any little pissant country that doesn't like it and refuses to go into debt peonage will be in a world of hurt." As she speaks the tongue darts in and out at a length of about nine inches, her head does a 360 degree revolution, and she concludes with a deathly cackle that pierces the air.

Asked about relations with Russia, she simulates ferocity: "C'mon Vlady, you little Russky pipsqueak, put 'em up. You want a piece of this bitch, come and get it. I'll kick your punk ass all over the planet." While speaking she brandishes her fists in front of her face absurdly -- like a girl, as it was once permitted to say in the U.S. -- but then she lands a haymaker to her own face with astonishing force that sends her reeling several feet behind the podium. She returns with a black eye, and the demon withdraws, leaving the human shell to try to clean up the mess.

Meanwhile, all the neocons have been rendered incommunicado -- muted, and whenever they try to write something their fingers type only gibberish.

But then, I will probably have to fix the election when a majority of Americans decide they enjoyed Clinton's debate performance and think she would make an amusing president.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

gsjackson wrote:The question doesn't engage my imagination, but here's the fantasy of omnipotence I've been indulging in.

Clinton is debating Trump and I cause her to be completely truthful, allowing the demon controlling her to come to the fore. Asked about foreign policy, she responds: "Me and my Jew buddies are going to control the world, and any little pissant country that doesn't like it and refuses to go into debt peonage will be in a world of hurt." As she speaks the tongue darts in and out at a length of about nine inches, her head does a 360 degree revolution, and she concludes with a deathly cackle that pierces the air.

Asked about relations with Russia, she simulates ferocity: "C'mon Vlady, you little Russky pipsqueak, put 'em up. You want a piece of this bitch, come and get it. I'll kick your punk ass all over the planet." While speaking she brandishes her fists in front of her face absurdly -- like a girl, as it was once permitted to say in the U.S. -- but then she lands a haymaker to her own face with astonishing force that sends her reeling several feet behind the podium. She returns with a black eye, and the demon withdraws, leaving the human shell to try to clean up the mess.

Meanwhile, all the neocons have been rendered incommunicado -- muted, and whenever they try to write something their fingers type only gibberish.

But then, I will probably have to fix the election when a majority of Americans decide they enjoyed Clinton's debate performance and think she would make an amusing president.
Gonna give 'em the "Liar, Liar" treatment, eh? :lol:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6YLAmKFpRM[/youtube]
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Package A....Easy Money :D

Return to “Questions and Advice”