Opportunity for Younger Posters that Speak Spanish

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Opportunity for Younger Posters that Speak Spanish

Post by HouseMD »

I don't want to post much about it here, because I don't want some googling to lead program directors and admission officers here, but here's the gist:

There's a program that lets you go to medical school, all expenses paid (tuition, room, board, board fees, everything) in a Latin American country. You have to be 25 or younger. You have to have a year of chemistry, biology, physics, and organic chemistry. You do not have to have a BA or BS degree. You must be able to present yourself as coming from a disadvantaged community- major points for African Americans, Hispanics, and people that grew up in rural or ghetto environments. You have to be able to get a couple of letters of recommendation and have a commitment to serving the underserved (they say in the US- say you want to serve in the US but then take that degree and run with it). While they do provide six months of extensive Spanish lessons, it would be difficult to complete this program if you do not have at least some baseline understanding of Spanish or another non-English European language from which to build.

PM me for details and I'll send you the link. It's an all-expenses paid trip out of the West for 7 years, after which you get to be a damn doctor with a degree from a well-respected medical school in Latin America. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

They make no exceptions in regard to their requirements though, so if you don't fit the criteria, don't bother, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

cdnFA
Junior Poster

Re: Opportunity for Younger Posters that Speak Spanish

Post by cdnFA »

Sounds like Cuba. Pretty sure they had a program like that.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Might possibly probably be ;)
cdnFA
Junior Poster

Post by cdnFA »

HouseMD wrote:Might possibly probably be ;)
Even if I had not heard of it, there are only two countries that would run a program like that and the other one is tanking pretty hard even before the collapse of oil.

Does it take 7 years to get the MD, I guess that is why they don't require the BA/BSc. Does that 7 years include the commitment I wonder.
I also wonder how you would be able to enforce the commitment if you go overseas.
I also wonder if that degree would be accepted in the US, you mentioned being able to serve there. I know someone with a Chinese western MD who had to switch fields when she got here.

Sounds like an interesting program for the right person though.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

They can't force you to work in an underserved environment. As to getting a residency in the US, it's about a 50/50 shot. But given that the whole point of this site is getting away from the US, I figured you could take that degree and run with it to South America somewhere, as the school is quite well recognized in South America. Would definitely not recommend it if you want to.come back to the US though, the Match is getting way too tight for that.
cdnFA
Junior Poster

Post by cdnFA »

HouseMD wrote:They can't force you to work in an underserved environment. As to getting a residency in the US, it's about a 50/50 shot. But given that the whole point of this site is getting away from the US, I figured you could take that degree and run with it to South America somewhere, as the school is quite well recognized in South America. Would definitely not recommend it if you want to.come back to the US though, the Match is getting way too tight for that.
I am surprised that one would have a shot at a US residency.

I do agree, for the right person it would be the way to go.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

17 out of 56 matched as of the most recent data available. That's not great odds for combing back, but what is most interesting is that of 200 students the program takes from the US each year, only 56 tried to go back.
cdnFA
Junior Poster

Post by cdnFA »

HouseMD wrote:17 out of 56 matched as of the most recent data available. That's not great odds for combing back, but what is most interesting is that of 200 students the program takes from the US each year, only 56 tried to go back.
I am surprised that it would even be an option. Usually getting foreign credentials approved in Canada or the US is extremely difficult.

A lot of well educated taxi cab drivers out there.

Not as if the US is a big fan of Cuba, especially before very recent events.