Has anyone else noticed friendliness in low income areas?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
traveller
Junior Poster

Has anyone else noticed friendliness in low income areas?

Post by traveller »

Apparently not just me, but also my parents, they seem to notice that people in America seem a bit friendlier in poorer/low income neighborhoods than in rich areas. It's also weird, but Google Satellite Views even show a few more churches per square mile in lower and lower middle class areas than in rich, upper class areas. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Re: Has anyone else noticed friendliness in low income areas

Post by CannedHam »

I lived in Chicago for many years in a decent neighborhood that bordered a shitty ass low-income ghetto neighborhood. I can assure that there was no friendliness whatsoever in the low-income neighborhood. And now that you mention it there did seem to be a lot of churches there.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

traveller wrote:Apparently not just me, but also my parents, they seem to notice that people in America seem a bit friendlier in poorer/low income neighborhoods than in rich areas. It's also weird, but Google Satellite Views even show a few more churches per square mile in lower and lower middle class areas than in rich, upper class areas. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?
Overall, the most unfriendly people I have seen and met were from the most poor areas of the city. Poor areas seem more friendly because more people are out roaming the streets who have no problem taking up time and striking up a conversation with a perfect stranger because they have nothing else to do. But be warned, that friendliness can quickly turn to anger if they find out you are from a better side of town or you live a life they don't.

Secondly, I read somewhere that poor people tend to be more religious, which in a way is one reason why they are poor. When you give all your money away to a church, and you have no concept of personal responsibility because you "trust in God" you're giving away a lot of your own power to get yourself out of poverty.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

I wouldn't say friendly was a totally accurate description but people in poorer neighbourhoods tend to be a lot more down to earth, far less snobby and are not as obsessed with money like many in the more affluent area's.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

Yes. I know what you mean!! I've noticed this. :?
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
bostero
Freshman Poster

Post by bostero »

It's a weird thing- sometimes they can be a lot nicer; but there are also times when they can be a lot meaner and crazier.

Suburban types are colder and more selfish- but they're more stable and predictable, more respectful of your space. Ghetto people are warmer and have more humanity- but they have a Jekyll-and-Hyde streak, and you feel like you always have to watch your step around there.

Ghetto people will attack you physically. Suburban people will just let you die of neglect when you can't afford the cost of living.

Sometimes, I don't know which is worse. Americans are psychopaths.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

I've lived around different kinds.

Among the "poor" -- It's a superficial friendliness, the adults grinning in your face while sizing you up, the kids begging for yard work, etc., really snooping around seeing if you have anything easy to steal. Pass. :x

In suburbia you can live in the same place for 10 years and not meet most of your neighbors until your mail gets mixed up with theirs or some low-life trash (see "poor") moves nearby and your long time neighbor is passing out the dreaded
"Do you know who robbed us?" flyers.
Section 8-fugees aside, in suburbia you and your stuff will generally be left alone ... whether you like it or not. Win. :)
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

It's because there's no competition - people can afford to just relax and focus on being kind and nice to each other.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.