An Update and a Question

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: An Update and a Question

Post by Cornfed »

droid wrote::idea: :!: Notice how the guy doesn't anywhere say "please" or "thanks" in any form whatsoever,
I'm really starting to lose sympathy, thinking he really is a self-serving a****le. Asked me for help and then never even replied back.
Starchild, have you received a 'thank you' from this guy lol
Judging by his previous posts, he seems legit. If so, you could perhaps forgive him for not observing ideal courtly politeness at a time like this. He possibly has a few things on his mind.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Ghost wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
droid wrote::idea: :!: Notice how the guy doesn't anywhere say "please" or "thanks" in any form whatsoever,
I'm really starting to lose sympathy, thinking he really is a self-serving a****le. Asked me for help and then never even replied back.
Starchild, have you received a 'thank you' from this guy lol
Judging by his previous posts, he seems legit. If so, you could perhaps forgive him for not observing ideal courtly politeness at a time like this. He possibly has a few things on his mind.
At what point should one reasonably be expected to get pissed off at a guy constantly asking for help and then dissing said help time after time? I offered to help the guy for free several times. Finally had a Skype session with him, basically giving him a free two hour consultation about getting an EFL job (plus the offer to continue helping him through the process.) He never followed through with anything, despite my offer to get him in contact with people I know who can get him a job, help him with his resume, coach him for interviews, etc. Nothing. Nada. Never followed up, never tried. He has an impediment that saps his confidence, but at some point a man has to attempt. That's the thing with Tsar - he never attempts. He never gets past the point of asking-for-help-then-rebuffing-the-offers and talking about stupid plans that have no basis in reality. That is the (reasonable) frustration here, not that he airs his frustrations and has a lot on his mind. If he tried and failed, he'd find nothing but support from just about everyone.

Then after all that bullshit, he comes back and threatens suicide, which he never really intended to do. It was another attention seeking cry for help. Predictable as a sunrise.

Yeah, excuse us if some of us are a bit pissed off at the guy.
But even all that's fine. If a guy says "hey thanks man, but right now i don't really have the balls or motivation for that, do you have another idea?"
even if over and over, i wouldn't find that objectionable.

What gets me is the 'my life sucks but i'm so above everyone else' attitude. Dude lacks empathy and thinks everything revolves around him. He is depressed for not being able to rise as sun-king and stump on those then below him. In all my advice i've tried to get him to humble the f*k down, to no avail.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Ghost wrote:An old joke, updated for Tsar:

Tsar was suffering and failing at life, so he prayed to God for help. "God, help me get out of this horrible life. I want to get abroad and find my virgin bride in Europe!" He prayed and wailed.

After a while, S-parc came along and offered him life advice. Tsar said, "No, God will help me."

Later on, Droid passed by and sent Tsar a message offering some advice and help. "No, God will help me."

Eventually, Ghost came by and offered to help Tsar get a job teaching English abroad so he could escape his miserable existence and start living a life. "No, Ghost, God will help me."

Even MarcosZeitola came by and offered Tsar a humble spot on a farm in the Philippines, where he could escape, live simply, and be mentored. But Tsar turned it down once again, saying God would help him.

One day, Tsar perished and met God.

"God, why didn't you help me?"

"Tsar, first I sent you S-parc to help. Then I sent Droid to help you. After that I sent Ghost to help you. And later I sent MarcosZeitola to aid you. You kept turning down everyone I sent, so eventually I quit trying to reach you."
Lol i think that sounds more like Adama though
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Tsar was suffering and failing at life, so he prayed to God for help. "God, help me get out of this horrible life. I want to get abroad and find my virgin bride in Europe!" He prayed and wailed.

After a while, S-parc came along and offered him life advice. Tsar said, "No, God will help me."

Later on, Droid passed by and sent Tsar a message offering some advice and help. "No, God will help me."

Eventually, Ghost came by and offered to help Tsar get a job teaching English abroad so he could escape his miserable existence and start living a life. "No, Ghost, God will help me."

Even MarcosZeitola came by and offered Tsar a humble spot on a farm in the Philippines, where he could escape, live simply, and be mentored. But Tsar turned it down once again, saying God would help him.

"Tsar, first I sent you S-parc to help. Then I sent Droid to help you. After that I sent Ghost to help you. And later I sent MarcosZeitola to aid you. You kept turning down everyone I sent, so eventually I quit trying to reach you."
While you might once have been trying to be helpful, now you just sound like a cunt with a petty grievance. Given that your own situation in life is probably a lot more precarious than you think it is, perhaps a little less unearned self-righteousness would be in order.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

gnosis wrote:

While you might once have been trying to be helpful, now you just sound like a c**t with a petty grievance. Given that your own situation in life is probably a lot more precarious than you think it is, perhaps a little less unearned self-righteousness would be in order.
Ghost is the HA poster boy, because he really has plugged away at his own situation and acquired what I think is some real gravitas as a result. First he did a great job saving his money quickly from shit jobs in the U.S.. Then he got overseas and acquired a real skill, which is something he enjoys doing. He plugs away at his ebooks, and to my eye becomes a little better writer every year. He is one of the forum's main contributors, and each year acquires more of his own voice, informed by experience.

It's a way of life grounded in discipline, tempered by disappointment but moving steadily forward, and therefore I wouldn't describe it as precarious at all. If he's had significant interaction with Tsar, he's entitled to comment, given that Tsar has made his predicament very public. And while Tsar is under no obligation to take anyone's advice, the little oft-repeated parable above might well point to a blind spot that he would be well advised to take note of.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Notice my join date: Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 pm

From the Fall of 2012 to the Fall of 2014 I was in college getting my Bachelor's Degree? Would it be expected I drop my life and abandon my education putting myself at a disadvantage in the world?

The only open window I had was Winter 2014-September 2015.

Or October 2015 when I began working? (I hate that job. I spend as much on cough drops each week I'm there as I do on gasoline each week because of their extremely poor air quality. I am probably going to quit that temp job and say f**k it. My parents might be upset with me but I should be honest and true to myself. I didn't go to college and graduate just to click the same 20 key pattern an average of 200 times per workday for 5 hours until my wrists are sore, fingers hurt, and I can hardly open a f***ing cough drop wrapper, then continue with a type of data entry another 2.5, then mail for 30 minutes).

Also note that I had a car lease at the time which ended September 2015. I would have had to default on the car payments if I went abroad.

But this time I am going to say screw the car loan my parents forced to get for a temp job. I will get rid of almost everything I own. Then I will leave this time and screw the auto loan. I know I'm not paying the next insurance bill in July so screw the car payments after that date. I told my parents I didn't want a car because I wanted freedom and because I didn't have job security. f**k it if it comes down to it. I already spent $4,000 on that car which I wanted for going abroad and meeting my goals. My parents f**k things up just like they f**k everything up for me.

Right now I don't even have a passport anymore and need to improve my appearance before I go to get the picture. I haven't shaved in weeks and my hair is the longest its been since a period in high school. Right now my hair is probably longer than some of the American girls with the short boyish haircuts.

I do say thank you but you should also notice I don't log on as much as I use to or make as many posts. I don't even bother replying to the attacks or trying to defend myself anymore. I'm just trying to work on getting myself better more than anything else at the moment because I'm seriously ill.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Ghost wrote:S-parc came along and offered him life advice. Tsar said, "No, God will help me."
On Columbus Day weekend of 2015, I'd signed an Armistice with Tsar. Since then, I have not been involved.

I intend on keeping with the pact.

Remember, even General Pershing had mnetioned that the Armistice of Nov 11 1918, the official end of WWI, was a mistake to President Wilson.

But ... he'd held his tongue in public until the second world war, almost a generation later. Unlike the Iron General, I'd moved on. This is no longer my concern nor my fight.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

My passport expired a few days ago. So it's not like I didn't have one. I am getting a new one in the next few weeks.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.