If I move abroad, how do I find a job?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Linc4Love
Freshman Poster

If I move abroad, how do I find a job?

Post by Linc4Love »

It's easy to say MOVE, but of you don't find work that can provide a steady income and an acceptable quality of living, it's easier said than done.

I think it would be harder in my case because the job demands appear to in linguistics. because I'm deaf learning a second language is extremely difficult. I have a hard enough time with English as it is. :D Barring that, what other job possibilities abroad could I explore? I have a bachelors and associates degree and worked ten years as a government civilian, but other than that my resume is pretty thin.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Which subjects did you get your degrees in?

If they are in computer science or engineering, you might be able to find a job abroad.

Also, you said that you are a Christian, so maybe you could volunteer for some Christian organization or some other community service organization overseas.

I'm just thinking out loud here.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Teaching English is the easiest way. Dont worry about not being able to learn a second tongue. 99% never do and never have to. If you have a Bachelor's you can get a TEFL certificate ( google it) and go abroad in a couple of months. Jobs are easy. Can you sit in front of a class and read: This is a dog, this is a cat? Most of it is self explanatory. Most schools want western asses in classes reading with a native accent. The easiest job you'll ever have.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Linc4Love
Freshman Poster

Post by Linc4Love »

I have a bachelors in computer science, but I've been working in a government job that has absolutely nothing to do with computers for the past ten years, lol. I can't program but I could still do desktop support relatively well.

Interesting about teaching English, I assumed my deafness would be a disqualifier or a major hindrance, but if I just have to basically read material I could do that. :D
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Linc4Love wrote:I have a bachelors in computer science, but I've been working in a government job that has absolutely nothing to do with computers for the past ten years, lol. I can't program but I could still do desktop support relatively well.

Interesting about teaching English, I assumed my deafness would be a disqualifier or a major hindrance, but if I just have to basically read material I could do that. :D
Deafness? How deaf are you?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Linc4Love
Freshman Poster

Post by Linc4Love »

Severe to profound in both ears. I wear hearing aids which reduces the deafness enough that I can communicate orally and don't need to sign.

That's something else I haven't considered, what happens if my hearing aids break. If the healthcare isn't advanced enough I could really be in a bind, especially if I had to ship my hearing aids out for repair rather than have it fixed locally like I can do here. I forget about conveniences like this that I take for granted and it never occurred to me that this could be an issue overseas. :shock:
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

Linc,

Your deafness may be a hook into a specialty position overseas: teaching American sign language to foreigners, who want to come and study in the US. I know that different countries have their own forms of sign, but I don't know how different they are from each other, or if there is a "universal" form. I am originally from DC, and there is a famous deaf college there (http://www.gallaudet.edu/), and I know that many students come there from all over the world to study.

Just a thought...
Linc4Love
Freshman Poster

Post by Linc4Love »

Maybe... if I knew sign language. LOL I never did have the discipline to learn it. But on the upside, I do know know a few pickup lines in Spanish. :D
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

I would not come to Asia except for Hong Kong, Tokyo or Singapore.

In all of China I profoundly doubt you will be able to repair your hearing aids. Maybe HK or Shanghai or Beijing. Maybe...

Also, you don't see people with disabilities in China. They simply don't exist. Once I was having a conversation with my TA and I was talking about an infant child with Cerebral Palsy back in the West, disabilities and all that.

She said:

"And they let him live?!!..."

This was in 2010. She was being completely serious.

So you see there are no weak people in China. There are 3 flights of stairs and no elevators for buildings under 7 storeys all over the country, so if you are not ambulatory, forget it. In a wheel chair? Crutches? Broken leg or foot? Missing a limb? Forget it.

It also may be difficult to be hired. Asians don't want you sick, at all.

They want a perfectly healthy, young, handsome, blonde haired blue eyed westerner who speaks real English.

That's exaggerating, but just a touch. Any obvious flaw (and that's how they will view those hearing aids) will get you politely passed-over.

That said - apply anyhow. You have a CS degree and you can teach in Unis all over Asia. Send your photo w/o the aids. You might find work and I might be wrong.
Linc4Love
Freshman Poster

Post by Linc4Love »

I believe it, there's enough of a stigma here in the U.S. for having a disability, and another reason why I have no luck with the women. The way you described Asians' reaction to those with disabilities? That's how women are here. They want their man physically perfect and at least 6 feet tall, no exceptions.

I'm pretty shallow myself, but considering I once fell in love with a girl with only one arm and was highly attracted to another with no legs, American women can pretty much take their impossible hypocritical standards and shove it up their asses.

But anyhoo...

Yeah, this is something I have to consider, that the country would have to at least be advanced enough to make it easy to get hearing aids serviced and repaired.
Free
Freshman Poster

Post by Free »

I say this in all due respect and don't want to see you misled. How is your pronunciation, tone, pitch, etc. Several of the deaf people I have known were off in tone, etc due to not being able to fully hear themselves.
A key aspect in teaching another language is for the learners to hear proper pronunciation, etc. At the basic levels, if you say "cat" but lose part of the word in tone or pitch and it comes out like "cut", students would be learning an incorrect pronunciation of course.
Clearly not saying this is you, but as mentioned, several of the deaf people I've know actually did pronounce words like this. Can you ask others to confirm?
If this might be so, you can find work proof reading for example.

As an alternative, you can consider work online. Something like freelancing and proof reading documents, web design, on and on. People post the work they are looking for and you sometimes bid on it. Unfortunately though, there are very low bidders in places like India, etc. so it really depends.
Maybe a lesser known, more specialized site would be better.

Good luck and don't stop thinking of possible avenues. Your happiness deserves it.
"Give me liberty or give me death" - Patrick Henry
Linc4Love
Freshman Poster

Post by Linc4Love »

I speak normally, but somehow unbelievable I have a New Yawwk accent too, which pisses me off. I can't discriminate sounds THAT easily so I can't believe I still managed to pick up an accent despite my deafness. Gah. It sucks when I travel because people can easily tell I'm from out of town, and New Yorkers do carry a certain stigma in certain parts of the country.

If I speak slowly I can enunciate clearly though. Even then I'd much prefer to make my money online, that way the world is my oyster and I'm not tied down to any one spot. Ahhh, a dream come true. I'm making decent money now this way, but I haven't broken the ceiling yet so that I can safely quit my job and haul ass out of town. Given this bad economy I'm just not sure if it can be done, but then again a lot can happen in a year. We'll see
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

You have a Computer Science degree. You can get a job at a state run University in ANY COUNTRY in Asia and teach Math, Physics or CS. You don't need to teach ESL.

Apply to the International Schools for Math and Science positions. You could teach IB method or International Schools in HK or Brunei, definitely every where else.

Again, with your CS degree you don't need to teach ESL, you can teach CS at Uni.

Set your sites up on high and apply for those International School positions that pay $40k USD.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

globetrotter wrote:You have a Computer Science degree. You can get a job at a state run University in ANY COUNTRY in Asia and teach Math, Physics or CS. You don't need to teach ESL.

Apply to the International Schools for Math and Science positions. You could teach IB method or International Schools in HK or Brunei, definitely every where else.

Again, with your CS degree you don't need to teach ESL, you can teach CS at Uni.

Set your sites up on high and apply for those International School positions that pay $40k USD.
I have a master's of science and years of experience but I have never taught and don't have a teaching certificate. Can you get a good job without a teacher's certificate?

Also, do you recommend any websites?

I found the following below.

http://www.joyjobs.com/center/
america sucks
Freshman Poster

Post by america sucks »

globetrotter wrote:You have a Computer Science degree. You can get a job at a state run University in ANY COUNTRY in Asia and teach Math, Physics or CS. You don't need to teach ESL.

I'm pretty sure you need a MS degree or teaching certificate for those jobs