Studying (or maybe working) in Taiwan?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Studying (or maybe working) in Taiwan?

Post by xiongmao »

OK this might be a mad idea but I'm of the opinion I need to go travelling again. I'd like to go abroad and do something useful rather than hang out in bars all day.

I am starting to think that going to somewhere like Taiwan and studying for a masters in business (or something) would be good. This would fit in well with my plan to move out of programming and into product management type roles (which I'm kind of doing in my current job anyway).

Is this a good idea or a non-starter? If so, can anyone recommend any Universities? I'd prefer to be in Taipei.

Pluses:

It seems fairly cheap to study there (well compared to somewhere like the USA or Singapore or Hong Kong).
Cost of living seems reasonable.
Seems easy to get a visa.
More democracy than in China.
Less pollution and maybe better food than in China.
Lots of white legged ladies - I have met a few Taiwanese ladies already and I've been very impressed :lol: .
Some good Universities, and lots of tech stuff going on.
I can carry on with my Chinese studies and maybe achieve HSK 3.
Can finally meet Winston IRL.

Minuses:

No eye contact?
My house might wash away in a typhoon.
Unknown unknowns.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: Studying (or maybe working) in Taiwan?

Post by chanta76 »

what kind of programming do you do?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Everything, but mostly web stuff. I think they call it "full stack development".

At the moment though I'm doing market research and business analysis. Also got the green light to work from one of our overseas offices, so now researching that as well.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

xiongmao,

How did you get to your place in your career? it seems to me you have the skills set to work over seas in a decent field.

I would recommend that you go for your MBA in Taiwan. The only question is that will it be competitive in the global market a degree from Taiwan.

FOr me I have Bachelor in Information System but wasn;t much of a programmer so I been working in real estate as a investor/property manager. It's OK but it forces me to stay in NY and I don't have that upward mobility. I'm think of going back to Information Technology. Currently trying to teach myself Java script but I just find that problem solving aspect of programming too difficult. I'm almost 40 years old too so not sure if it's too late. Either that I thought about getting a pilot license of some sort as a career change.