What are European guys like?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
miss_conduct
Freshman Poster

What are European guys like?

Post by miss_conduct »

I have heard that European women are far more approachable and have a lot more going for them than do American women. That said, what are the men over there like? Are they friendly? I happen to be a big fan of English men.

Some Euro men I admire are: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sven-Ole Thorsen, and Dolph Lundgren (actors)
Sting, Elton John, David Bowie, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, John Lennon (all British singers)

Also is being English considered being European? Just curious.
Be good, or be good at it.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

The countries and peoples of Europe are as varied as the sun and the moon, if you ask me. Your preferences indicate to me that you prefer the Anglo-Germano-Nordic types. Those men are very kind, polite, reserved, and if you get them drunk, they'll either curse a lot, or tell you their life story. They're also probably very reliable and trustworthy, if you ask me. If you want a playboy/mama's boy who's probably a narcissist and can't keep a job, then look no further than the Mediterranean. Just my 2 cents.

Pick a country for more detail......
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Interesting question.

European men are definitely more educated and cultured and aware of things than average American men. They act more natural and have more intelligent opinions too.

They would be more sociable to you and act more natural and relaxed.

But whether or not they'd be attracted to you is a different story. It would depend on how attractive you are, whether you fit the stereotype of the "loud American woman" or not, and how the personal chemistry goes.

But if you just want to socialize and have intelligent conversation, you can do that all over in Europe without pretense or fakeness.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What are European guys like?

Post by momopi »

miss_conduct wrote:I have heard that European women are far more approachable and have a lot more going for them than do American women. That said, what are the men over there like? Are they friendly? I happen to be a big fan of English men.

Some Euro men I admire are: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sven-Ole Thorsen, and Dolph Lundgren (actors)
Sting, Elton John, David Bowie, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, John Lennon (all British singers)

I worked with some guys from Italty on a project last year. Definately way better looking (and better dressed) than your average American joe.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

The big difference I see between Americans and Europeans is that Americans are dominated by the concept of "cool," which involves communicating non-verbally with status symbols. Verbal communication of anything but the most superficial sort undermines the mystique necessary for cool. Europeans, on the other hand, seem to have, instead of cool, concepts like sophistication and savoir faire, which involve more verbal communication, not less. Americans are afraid they give up the game if they open their mouths for honest communication. Europeans aspire to communicate more deeply.

There was a very interesting study done several years ago comparing American and German TV talk shows. American audiences liked guests who were inarticulate and seemed to have difficulty communicating. To them, this represented honesty and authenticity. Germans, however, appreciated guests who were obviously highly intelligent and articulate. They scoffed at the inarticulate mumblers.
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

miss_conduct wrote:I have heard that European women are far more approachable and have a lot more going for them than do American women. That said, what are the men over there like? Are they friendly? I happen to be a big fan of English men.

Hi, I'm a girl from UK.

I am going to be away for a while (I'll try to pop on here when I can) so you just caught me but I'll say, of course being English is European. I never understand where Americans get this from- if we are not in Europe, where are we? :)

Perhaps it's to do with being an island, we are seen as separate? Or because we share same language as America so we are seen as just another state? No idea.

The UK is in the European Union and whilst we don't have the Euro currency I for once feel very close to other Europeans and am always surrounded by them as it's very multicultural here. We do love our own currency and resist merging with the whole of Europe in a way in which we lose our identity, but in the same manner I hear people moaning about how they miss francs and pesetas too. So it's not about distancing ourselves.

About English guys, I can't compare them to American guys as I have never been to America, but I find them very friendly and can't see why anyone will have an issue with them in general (apart from some louts you get in every country). The average English guy in my experience is laid-back, easy to get on with, approachable, modest, humourous and down-to-earth. If I ever do talk to an American, in comparison they seem very forceful, competitive, gushing, always 'reaching for the stars'... I think an English man would find it slightly embarrassing to take himself as seriously and would have to throw a self-degrading comment in there by way of apology, even if he was actually very ambitious.

Need some negativity to balance it out, hmmm! Well, we are a bunch of alcoholics here, generally speaking, and also in general not very healthy eaters. Most men (and women!) relish an existence on processed meat, bread, pasties, potatoes and lager. So you're not going to be waking up to David Beckham for long, even if he looks like that now. Some men in the middle and upper classes experiment with the odd olive and non-Cheddar cheese, but they'll still be living on bacon sandwiches and ketchup whenever possible.

It's kind of fun to hear you asking about foreign men on this site. Do what the men do- come over for a visit, look around, and see what you think. If it's not your cup of tea, French and Italian guys aren't too far away :wink:

EDIT: I find European guys in general very friendly, but in my experience the Spanish are the rudest, followed by the French (not personality-wise, it seems to be in the culture). I just talked to a friend who had come back from visiting Portugal, France and Spain, apparently Portugal was the friendliest, Spanish and French were very abrupt and didn't see the point of habitual politeness... in England I get given a cup of tea as if it's a baby, and always warned if the plate is hot in a restaurant; in Spain they throw the cup at you very loudly, spill it all over the table, and throw rubbish on the floor of the tapas bars so you have to walk in bits of food etc. But it's all good, exploring different cultures, and well worth the visit, you get used to the way others do things very quickly.
Toute connaissance est une réponse à une question. - Gaston Bachelard
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

miss conduct,
Here's an example of a European guy, the type I've often met. This is a French guy critiquing feminism. As you can see, he is very intellectual, cultured and has a rich soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-rLc5SOSAU
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Of course, Europe is a damn big continent so it's hard to generalize. I don't know if Danish men have anything in common with Moldovan men, for example.

That being said, I think it's true that there are less fat men in Europe, just like there are less fat women there then they are in America. Most European men are thin and dress somewhat stylishly (however, what is considered "stylish" varies between countries). I think there are fewer "bodybuilder" type of guys in Europe, but due to the influence of American fitness culture, their numbers continue to increase.

Many Americans seem to stereotype European men as these sort of "café intellectuals," but really there are all types. There are also stupid European men who just want to party or drink all the time. Men who are over 25 probably have better manners in general than those who are younger than that.

American popular culture has influenced some European men more than others. There are ghettos and wiggers in Europe, too. I had a German room mate in Prague and he always dressed like a wigger. These guys are officially and ethnically European (Polish), too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=925YUcP0 ... re=channel

Men in Eastern Europe are less tolerant of feminism and will probably just tell women to f**k off if they start getting too bitchy. Men will have more traditional expectations of women in Eastern European countries. Northern and Western European men may put up with more shit from women.

Of course, any man will be nice to you if he wants to have sex with you, no matter where in the world you are.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

The Nordic men (Scandinavia, Germany, Holland) are more reluctant to approach women. I lived there for some time and the men arent aggressive in the American way. I hear it is the same in the FSU countries that border Germany as well (Hungary, Slovakia, Czech) except maybe Poland.