For Christians: Which Bible version do you read?

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Evergreen
Freshman Poster

For Christians: Which Bible version do you read?

Post by Evergreen »

I know religion is a hot topic debate and I hope it doesn't get off topic but I'll give it a go.

I find the King James Version Bible (KJV) is the most accurate of all English bibles translated from old texts of Greek, Hebrew, and a little Latin. I find the other revisions has way more errors to them and you can read why the KJV is the best selling bible of all time since 1611 http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/16 ... _james.htm

I tend to use the bible as a reference and I like the KJV compared to all the rest of the bible versions as many have errors, ommisions, and even complete different meanings. For example, one version called the New Living Translation (I've checked in a bookstore) http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/NL ... xposed.htm Deuteronomy, 1 Kings 14:24, 1 Kings 15:12, 1 Kings 22:46, and 2 Kings 23:7, changed the word sodomite to temple prostitute or shrine prostitute. Completely different meaning as sodomites are homosexuals.
I would guess that the newer and different versions of the "bible" is to accommodate feminists, homosexuals, and the PC crowd.

The King James Version bible keeps the original meanings what God and Jesus meant as they lived in a traditional masculine environment where men rules and provide for the family and women support the family as a housewife to bear and raise children with their husbands.

There is currently no copyright in KJV because the copyright has run out long long time ago since it was first published in 1611. Anyone may freely download, copy, publish and sell KJV without any copyright restrictions. My KJV has no copyrights and I find it the cheapest bible in the Christian bookstore. Other versions that made recently like the last 30 years have copyrights and there are over 200 versions published in the last 30 years so these other versions are out there for the masses to profit them.

Contrarily to popular belief, the KJV isn't hard to read. Someone with grade five reading skills can read KJV. Also don't get conned with the New King James Version(NKJV) as its very different from KJV.

I'm just asking if any of you read the King James Version Bible and do you use it as your main bible? If not, why or why not?

I'm going to use the King James Version as my main and only bible and I might seek a church someday that preaches only the KJV bible. Does any one know which church preaches only KJV like Anglican or Lutheran or any others?
Winston
Site Admin

Re: For Christians: Do you read the King James Bible?

Post by Winston »

What's wrong with the New King James Version? (NKJV) I read it before. It seems to be the same as the King James Version, except without the "thees and thous and haths" of old English. Which verses in the NKJV and KJV are different? The NKJV is much more readable and reader friendly. It retains the poetic elegance and artistic old English style of the KJV too.

I do agree though, that modern translations of the Bible have changed way too many verses, such as the NIV (New International Version). It's sad that most young people prefer the modern versions, such as the NIV. And their churches tell them it's ok too, as if popularity is more important than accuracy.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

It's not hard. You just have to get into it.

Hath obviously means has.

Basically any verb that has a "-th" ending or "-eth" I compute as present tense. Hath = has, knoweth= knows.

Thee and Thou mean you, naturally. But it is You SINGULAR, which is important for some doctrines. You doesn't distinguish singular and plural. Is it all of you or just you?

Thy and thine mean YOURS but singular. Is it all of yours or just yours?

Remember that English is a combination of Germanic structure and words with a large influx of words from French. The KJV is just closer to the German than to modern English, but it is still English. Once you realize what THEE, THOU, and HATH refer to, that should no longer be an impediment for using the KJV.

The NKJV is corrupted. Also there are many overly complex words and phrases in the modern Bibles which are not in the KJV.

Any word in the KJV you will find in a modern dictionary. Look it up if you don't know the word. That's what I do.

And if you still don't understand, do a word search for that word throughout the whole Bible, read the context of those passages, and that should help you figure out what the word means.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

You should not read the King James version. It has many inaccuracies. There are better translations.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

There are better translations than the KJV, but not in English. For example, there are two Japanese bible translations I checked. One of them is better than the KJV. The other is not, especially in areas such as the prophecies of Daniel. I believe it is easier to translate accurately from Hebrew or Syriac into Japanese than into English because of some structural similarities.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

gnosis wrote:You should not read the King James version. It has many inaccuracies. There are better translations.
Says who? There are tons of greek bible manuscripts. They vary a lot. Whos to say which is more accurate? Thats a complex issue. Why not trust the translators in 1611?l under King James? They seemed to do a good job and most serious Christians think KJV is the most pure and accurate.

Which version did the Catholic church use before the 1600s?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

The original (1611) King James Version is the only bible I use. All the other modern translations such as the NKJV and NIV are PERVERSIONS of the original texts. This is because the later versions have many omissions and substitute certain words from the authorized KJV. In addition, the publisher of the New International Version (NIV) who is Zondervan happens to be a division of HarperCollins (the parent company is News Corp which also runs Fox News). And the owner of News Corp is Rupert Murdoch. HarperCollins by the way is also the publisher of pro-homosexual books such as "The Joy of Gay Sex" and the Satanic Bible written by Anton LaVey!!! As for Rupert Murdoch, he is a member of the a powerful Roman Catholic order the Knights of Malta (SMOM). Here's are some interesting links:

THE NIV, THE SATANIC BIBLE AND HOMOSEXUAL TRANSLATORS.
http://www.contendingforthetruth/the-ni ... ranslators

'LARGEST' CHRISTIAN PUBLISHER IS ZONDERVAN IS A DIVISION OF HARPERCOLLINS, WHICH PUBLISHES THE SATANIC BIBLE
http://www.truthinheart.com/Zondervan.html

WHAT DO THE NIV, SATAN, AND GAY SEX HAVE IN COMMON
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/NI ... satan.html
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

IraqVet2003 wrote:The original (1611) King James Version is the only bible I use. All the other modern translations such as the NKJV and NIV are PERVERSIONS of the original texts. This is because the later versions have many omissions and substitute certain words from the authorized KJV. In addition, the publisher of the New International Version (NIV) who is Zondervan happens to be a division of HarperCollins (the parent company is News Corp which also runs Fox News). And the owner of News Corp is Rupert Murdoch. HarperCollins by the way is also the publisher of pro-homosexual books such as "The Joy of Gay Sex" and the Satanic Bible written by Anton LaVey!!! As for Rupert Murdoch, he is a member of the a powerful Roman Catholic order the Knights of Malta (SMOM). Here's are some interesting links:

THE NIV, THE SATANIC BIBLE AND HOMOSEXUAL TRANSLATORS.
http://www.contendingforthetruth/the-ni ... ranslators

'LARGEST' CHRISTIAN PUBLISHER IS ZONDERVAN IS A DIVISION OF HARPERCOLLINS, WHICH PUBLISHES THE SATANIC BIBLE
http://www.truthinheart.com/Zondervan.html

WHAT DO THE NIV, SATAN, AND GAY SEX HAVE IN COMMON
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/NI ... satan.html
Good post.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

The_Adventurer wrote:There are better translations than the KJV, but not in English. For example, there are two Japanese bible translations I checked. One of them is better than the KJV. The other is not, especially in areas such as the prophecies of Daniel. I believe it is easier to translate accurately from Hebrew or Syriac into Japanese than into English because of some structural similarities.
I'm interested in your perspective. I like the KJV's language the best. It's the most poetic. But it's my understanding that the KJV's translators did not have access to the oldest and best manuscripts. So, the KJV is not really the most accurate. All serious bible scholars accept the limitations of the KJV.

Here's a good link to some myths about bible translation:

https://danielbwallace.com/2012/10/08/f ... ranslation

Daniel Wallace is a respected professor of New Testament studies. He's an expert who can actually read ancient Greek and has been consulted on real bible translations.

Quote from the article:

"For example, in Matthew 23.24 the KJV says, “Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.” The Greek means “strain out a gnat.” Or the wording of Hebrews 4.8, which says, “For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.” Instead of ‘Jesus,’ Joshua is meant. It’s the same word in Greek, but the reader of the text will hardly think of Joshua when he or she sees ‘Jesus’ here since ‘Joshua’ is found everywhere in the OT."
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Don't bother with respected Bible scholars. Most of them are fools. They openly admit they don't believe the Bible. So what most Bible scholars think is irrelevant. They may be experts of some type, but they know the Word but don't believe it. They're fools.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Adama wrote:Don't bother with respected Bible scholars. Most of them are fools. They openly admit they don't believe the Bible. So what most Bible scholars think is irrelevant. They may be experts of some type, but they know the Word but don't believe it. They're fools.
Totally agree with you. People who can read ancient Greek manuscripts are fools. Of course, if you had actually visited the link, you would realize that Daniel Wallace is a practicing Christian.

Do you realize you come across as a caricature of an isolated American bible-thumping fundamentalist? You can't read Greek, nor have you ever bothered to study it, but you magically "know" that the KJV is the most accurate English translation. :roll:
Winston
Site Admin

Re: For Christians: Which Bible version do you read?

Post by Winston »

What about the "Authorized King James Bible"? What is that about? Is it better?

Are the Bibles placed in motels in the USA by the Gideons all KJV's?

I downloaded some free Bible apps from Google Play Store to my phone, that lets you read the whole Bible on your phone offline for free. You can pick any Bible version you want and download it. Check it out at Google Play Store on your android phone.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... apps&hl=en

gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Winston wrote:What about the "Authorized King James Bible"? What is that about? Is it better?

Are the Bibles placed in motels in the USA by the Gideons all KJV's?

I downloaded some free Bible apps from Google Play Store to my phone, that lets you read the whole Bible on your phone offline for free. You can pick any Bible version you want and download it. Check it out at Google Play Store on your android phone.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... apps&hl=en
Winston, I recommend the New English Translation (NET Bible). It is completely free and available online. It's a new translation with loads of translation notes. There's also a Chinese version.

Check it out: https://net.bible.org/
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

gnosis wrote:
Adama wrote:Don't bother with respected Bible scholars. Most of them are fools. They openly admit they don't believe the Bible. So what most Bible scholars think is irrelevant. They may be experts of some type, but they know the Word but don't believe it. They're fools.
Totally agree with you. People who can read ancient Greek manuscripts are fools. Of course, if you had actually visited the link, you would realize that Daniel Wallace is a practicing Christian.

Do you realize you come across as a caricature of an isolated American bible-thumping fundamentalist? You can't read Greek, nor have you ever bothered to study it, but you magically "know" that the KJV is the most accurate English translation. :roll:
All you have to do is compare it to the awful fake versions of the Bible.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

ESV (English Standard Version) is widely reputed to be the most literal & accurate translation of the Bible.
I also have a KJV, and an NIV.

I have the Jewish Study Bible Tanakh translation- for the Old Testament.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.