How To Do Banking Overseas?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

How To Do Banking Overseas?

Post by Wolfeye »

Hey, guys. I was just wondering something- how do I do all my money stuff in another country? What I mean is exchanging it for Euros or whatever they have over in that country (I'd think I'd just go to a bank with cash, but having large sums of cash can cause problems- might get into shit leaving the US & such like that), getting money from my account (my bank doesn't have a branch in Czechia, I don't think it's international), and doing traveler's checks (if they still exist). Basically, how do you guys pay for shit while you're in another country?

Can I just go to a bank in that country & get them to get the money from my bank? Is there an extra fee? What about getting an account over there? Do you have to be a citizen? I get that a lot of this might be very situational, so I don't expect that there'll be an exact answer for some of this. At the very least, who would I ask about this sort of thing to find out details?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How To Do Banking Overseas?

Post by gsjackson »

Just use your American bank cards at the ATM's, and you will get whatever you want in that country's currency. I have a credit union account that charges only one percent per such transaction. In a lot of European countries the banks owning the ATM's don't charge a fee for this, so it is usually much cheaper than going to a currency exchange, which are, like ATM's, all over the place in heavy tourist areas.

In Thailand, OTOH, huge fees charged by the banks owning the ATM's. Another reason I hated the place -- figure on about ten percent more than projected costs just for bank fees.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Re: How To Do Banking Overseas?

Post by Wolfeye »

So any ATM will work like that, even if it's not the bank I have an account with?

See, I'm hoping to dodge even that (might be stretching things a bit thin if I wind up staying longer than a few months)- but still good to know, thank you. I just read about banks that don't charge to use their ATMs, would that likely be the same with other "brands"?