What Are Young Non-Working Men Doing?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

What Are Young Non-Working Men Doing?

Post by gnosis »

The Atlantic did an article on unemployed young men.

Of course the author blames young men for the failure of their society to help provide them with meaningful work.

From the article:

"If good, steady, well-paying work is the key to any person’s economic satisfaction, there are several reasons to be nervous about the upcoming generation. Since 2000, the labor-force participation rate of young men without a college degree has declined more than any other age-and-gender group...Some of this drop is attributable to rising college attendance. But not all of it. Nine percent of Americans between 20 and 24 are neither in school, work, or training."

Here's a link: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ng/492890/
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What Are Young Non-Working Men Doing?

Post by Adama »

gnosis wrote:The Atlantic did an article on unemployed young men.

Of course the author blames young men for the failure of their society to help provide them with meaningful work.

From the article:

"If good, steady, well-paying work is the key to any person’s economic satisfaction, there are several reasons to be nervous about the upcoming generation. Since 2000, the labor-force participation rate of young men without a college degree has declined more than any other age-and-gender group...Some of this drop is attributable to rising college attendance. But not all of it. Nine percent of Americans between 20 and 24 are neither in school, work, or training."

Here's a link: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ng/492890/
Maybe that 9% are either insanely rich and don't have to work, or they are so depressed they can't get out of bed in the morning.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
w.p.o.
Freshman Poster

Post by w.p.o. »

They're probably doing what I did; putting on hundreds of miles on their cars looking for work - and having their time wasted and lied to by idiots who have no business being a manager.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

w.p.o. wrote:They're probably doing what I did; putting on hundreds of miles on their cars looking for work - and having their time wasted and lied to by idiots who have no business being a manager.
Well said.

I am sure that the percentage of men not in the labor force is much higher than the gov and press lets on. I posted a link to this article because I am surprised the press is even admitting there is a problem.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 27th, 2019, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Ghost wrote:What man would choose such a "life" if he had reasonable options?
This is exactly what I think.

It is the culture's responsibility to induct young men into the adult world. This has been the responsibility of every successful culture in history. Unfortunately, you and I are not members of a successful culture. Our loser culture is not capable of offering us anything decent.

Young men are civilization's future. I know brilliant guys who are unemployed or under-employed. Rocket scientist material. And they are treated like shit. This doesn't bode well for the future.

But honestly, what do I care about the future? Your children are the future. If you don't have children, then you shouldn't give a f**k. Let the old men and women worry about the future. It's not my problem.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 27th, 2019, 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Those are the guys that are getting laid like rock stars.
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

Commence a war on boys and masculinity.
Complain why boys and men are failing.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Everything is becoming and has become so efficient, we do not need our #'s growing. The European #'s have been going down to make this work long term. It is the other groups who still breed like roaches is why we are headed for disaster and have actually arrived there.

Time for a nice war to thin the herd..................... :D
Time to Hide!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 27th, 2019, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Ghost wrote:
Nomad wrote:Commence a war on boys and masculinity.
Complain why boys and men are failing.
I wonder if they really can't understand the connection between giving women "free" shit (like welfare, schooling, and jobs) and men failing...or if they really do understand it and just won't admit it.
Who is they? Men are disunited, so women walk all over us. We are NOT going back to the patriarchy or whatever you want to call the 1950's. The only way is forwards. Get used to it. The constituency for welfare, child support, alimony, tolerance for false rape accusations, and other unjust aspects of the current system is limited, but if you male conservatives want to focus on turning back the clock, women will win every time. True equality and true fairness is the only option that will fly politically.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 27th, 2019, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Here's another article discussing the same issue (they interviewed the same researcher) : http://www.moneytalksnews.com/number-jo ... at-theyre/

This is funny: “Happiness surveys actually indicate that they quite content compared to their peers, making it hard to argue that some sort of constraint, like they are miserable because they can’t find a job, is causing them to play video games,” says Hurst

I think the video game players have the right idea. :)