Living in China vs. Vietnam?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Living in China vs. Vietnam?

Post by gnosis »

I lived in Asia for a period of almost 4 years. Most of that time was spent in Vietnam, but I was also in Korea and Cambodia, and I visited Thailand. Right now I am back in the States, but I have been thinking about China a little bit. Does anyone on this forum have experience living in or visiting both China and Vietnam? I am curious to know what the cultural differences are.

I don't want to live in China if it's basically going to be the same thing as Vietnam. I had some great experiences in Vietnam and don't regret the time I spent there, but I am ready to move on to something a bit different. I know the Vietnamese have pretty much the same holidays as the Chinese and the same Confucian cultural backbone, but I want to know how living in China differs from living in Vietnam.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

dreamofarakis
Freshman Poster

Re: Living in China vs. Vietnam?

Post by dreamofarakis »

good question im interested in going to china or vietnam too but cant decide
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I've visited both, since I work in China and one of my family member is from Vietnam.

Generally, Vietnam is cheaper--with wayyyyy better food. Chinese food can get boring after a while. Also, Vietnam has better air quality, but both aren't great in that regard.

Who has the better woman? Well, right now, Vietnamese woman are more traditional nowadays than Chinese girls. The former have really changed, especially with all the modernization going on in the country right now. So, who wins? Vietnamese girls...

Better life: Well, I think there's more economic opportunity in China right now, but Vietnam is quickly catching up. In fact, many factories have already moved from China to Vietnam. I was offered an extremely high-paying job there, but I turned it down because my Korean is so-so and my Chinese is terrible. Damnn it!...Missed opportunity.

Overall, I think Vietnam is the way to go. Of course, everyone has their preferences. In the end, I suggest you go and visit those countries first before deciding; otherwise, you'll end up regretting your decision if you're not careful.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

I lived in Vietnam for years. I am very familiar with Vietnamese culture; I also speak some Vietnamese.

Thanks for your comments, zboy1. I knew a couple people in Vietnam who had lived in China. They said similar things, for the most part.