Anybody know anything about Thongsook College in Thailand?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Anybody know anything about Thongsook College in Thailand?

Post by GoingAwol »

I came across an ad for an on-site tefl/tesol certification course they offer for free. It seems like a pretty good deal. The way they set up the course is you are in the class for 3 weeks and then you teach for a few months and then you are back in the classroom for another 3 weeks to complete the course. They provide accommodation and you make just under 1,000 USD when you are teaching. It sounds like a really good deal all around. You get certification, job experience, free accommodation, and make money in the process. Thongsook College also has an ESL bachelor's program that is very cheap by U.S standards and is affordable with an English teaching salary.I looked them up and they are an internationally recognized school. Does anybody here know anything else about Thongsook?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 10th, 2020, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Re: Anybody know anything about Thongsook College in Thailan

Post by GoingAwol »

Ghost wrote:I don't know about that particular university, but be cautious entering a program like this. Such programs with guaranteed job placement are typically not the most desirable. $1000 a month in Bangkok is also about the lowest possible salary. It's Thailand's minimum wage for white foreigners in other words. And in Bangkok, $30K Baht per month won't go far. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying be cautious and realistic. You'll need to be frugal on that kind of salary.
Really? That surprises me.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 10th, 2020, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BATESOL teacher
Freshman Poster

Post by BATESOL teacher »

No Comment
Last edited by BATESOL teacher on December 10th, 2016, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAboy
Freshman Poster

Post by BAboy »

As with the previous poster, I too attended Thongsook; though my story is slightly different.
I can tell you nothing of the course you are looking at but I can give you details about the college.

I joined the course as part of the first group, and it was a small group that functioned well and had good teachers. Over time, as the course was developing, there were the ups and downs and teething problems you would expect with a new programme, but that didn't affect what you could accomplish with learning; you simply had to do a bit of work on your own.

My only gripe would be the administration system, but as that was run by the international programme, and not Thongsook, the college were not completely to blame. These are things that have been ironed out now (according to students I have talked to lately), so things would appear to be improving.

I had no problems with the location as I always stayed in the area, and a bus ride from Pinklao or Salaya (areas with plenty of accomodation) was only 15 minutes and very inexpensive. The previous poster used to travel from Hong kong so I dare say it was awkward for him, but I you lived on the other side of Bangkok you would certainly have difficulties; as you would if you lived miles away from any college. The facilities were basic, but every room had air-conditioning and media, though the internet was inconsistant (it has been upgraded now), and there is a canteen with reasonable food at good prices. the facilities at Siam would indeed be better as it is a bigger college, but I would say that the travel would be better only if you were closer to it (it is, in reality not far from Thongsook), though they are building an MRT station there.

I think it is worth mentioning that the administration of the Siam programme is the same as used to run theThongsook programme (in which the previous poster was heavily involved), and that the person who created the Thongsook course simply moved his course to Siam. Many of the teachers at Siam also moved from Thongsook and they took the course work too.

I think this is a case of picking the college nearer to you, or going for the better facilities; which are obviously a draw.

It is unfortunate that the previous poster feels so bad about a college that he had so much influence over, and that he did not get his degree. However, if you try to deliberately be awkward, it is going to have an effect. It would be great if he would stop continuing to send out bulk emails to all Thongsook students in an effort to wind people up (even though people are continually asking him to stop) as an example. As for leaving in an ambulance, that is made to sound like he was attacked, whereas, that is completely wrong.

Please look closelyy at anything you read about Thongsook. The posts are generally from the same person, and often made to sound as if they are talking about the college now. The truth is that Thongsook has changed for the better. I cannot comment on Siam courses as I have not done the courses, but I am sure they will be OK. I can comment on the facilities though as my wife was a student there; they are very good, and if that is purely what influences you then go for that reason.

I hope this will help people in the future
Ellsworth
Freshman Poster

Post by Ellsworth »

I was on this course and it was great. I did leave however, not because of the lectures or the workload, but due to the then class president Mr. Joe Batesol. He bullied me and a lot more people and he even took bribes. The old course Director who is an infamous crook and the Thongsook admin had the decency of Firing him to to incompetence. Joe was next, I he is the poster 2 above. In this day and age bullying still goes on and it is criminal. Karma is a good thing and I hear the program is going from strength to strength.

The place is run well with the new admin. and I will take up my course again due to Joe and his posse gone for good. Happy Days are here again.
Terry Tibbs
Freshman Poster

Post by Terry Tibbs »

I've been on the Thongsook BA TESOL program for 3 months and I'd have to say that (so far) I'm happy with how things are going. I considered doing the BA TESOL at Siam Technology college, but I was advised to do some research on the person who set up the BA first. The BA TESOL at Siam was set up by a guy called Bruce Veldhuisen (after he was sacked as a director of the Thongsook program), before anyone considers spending their hard earned money on the Siam Technology BA TESOL program, they should DEFINITELY Google the name Bruce Veldhuisen. I'm glad I did.
BATESOL teacher
Freshman Poster

no comment
Last edited by BATESOL teacher on December 10th, 2016, 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheTeacher2
Freshman Poster

Post by TheTeacher2 »

OK this is nonsense.

I have known Bruce for 10 years and worked for him for 7, but not working with him now. He is always willing to help me out and is a good guy. Just a good, decent guy. He is a very successful guy and, because of this, he made some enemies. The attacks are from one short period in 2008. But I can assure you that he has had many thousands of students who were very happy. When you have 20,000 students a few will be unhappy, though.

From what I heard of the situation, Thongsook was poorly managed not by the westerners but by the Thais. have things improved? Possibly since they were about to lose all of their students. But I know from the students I know at Siam Technology College things are very professional. So if this had anything to do with Bruce, why are things great from the start at Siam Technology College?

Yeah he is a convenient scape goat for losers who wish they had his brains and determination.

get a life.
BATESOL teacher
Freshman Poster

no comment
Last edited by BATESOL teacher on December 10th, 2016, 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bruceveld
Freshman Poster

Post by bruceveld »

There are a few inaccurate comments here I wanted to correct:

Its not exactly true that I was fired at Thongsook--and the posters above know that. I informed them that I would be leaving in the future and that I was immediately beginning a similar program at Siam Technology College. I offered to stay short term and help, just so that the progam was not thrown into chaos. They chose to dismiss me immediately--and put the program into chaos. And then blame me. I understand and do not necessarily disagree, but you cannot have it both ways.

And I chose to leave because of what I felt was gross incompetence and mismanagement. One of the posters above, the one who recently graduated, knows I had to fight tooth and nail to get his transcripts altered to be accurate (well MOSTLY accurate) and I have the audio recordings to prove it. Working at Thongsook was a constant battle over the smallest issues. Any insinuation that these matters were due to my participation is just nonsense. Neil, you should be a bit embarrassed by your post. I always had your back and Thongsook did not. And you know that very well.

I am not going to waste my time or yours by listing my accomplishments and good reputation. I will just say I have been successful in SE Asian (and worldwide) Education for over 25 years. I have lead large government projects and been invited to give advice to Ministers of Education. I have tens of thousands of satisfied customers and organizations want to work with me because I am pretty good at what I do. I founded the program at Thongsook--developed and created every aspect of it. Does everyone like me? No. I am a business owner and a boss and I have been for many years. But any anonymous idiot with a screen name can post wild accusations. You will notice there are no real names and real charges mentioned--that would mean they are taking responsibility for their post and could (and certainly would) have to face the repercussions for defamation. So they post anonymously. They are liars and cowards and I regret wasting even the 3 minutes it took me to write this paragraph.
Canaboy
Freshman Poster

Post by Canaboy »

Hi, just saw this post. I have a good friend that did the program at thongsook and did say it was excellent. But I would like to add that I also worked for mr. Bruce Veldhuisen for about ten years. He is a very, very stand-up and honest guy. He looks after his students, staff and clientele very well. Don't believe everything you read on the net. I have been in training teachers for 15 years. I failed a guy (that we couldn't make a teacher, as he wouldn't do the profession well - didn't pass either). He posted loads of false things simply because he was vindictive for not passing. So don't believe what one angry poster says, do your research. But I cansay for certain that Bruce - who I annot working for now - us a decent, honest guy
bruceveld
Freshman Poster

Post by bruceveld »

Canaboy, the student you mentioned, the one who spoke highly of the program, has moved to Siam Technology College.
BAboy
Freshman Poster

Post by BAboy »

BATESOL teacher wrote:
BAboy wrote: As for leaving in an ambulance, that is made to sound like he was attacked, whereas, that is completely wrong.
You weren't there so how can you honestly deny that I was attacked by the student admin? That makes you a dishonest person. Your entire review is a steaming pile. The program will be out of business due to fraud and incompetence within a year and your degree won't be with the paper it's written on.
Hello Joe. How do you know I was not there ( could somebody on this forum please tell me how people are able to find out my name from posts that do not includeit? And is that even legal?). You are correct, I was not. But then again I did not claim to have been. i was simply told the situation by people I trust. This sounds like you are a little jealous, and claiming the college commited fraud seems like the very defamation that you seem so eager to use to frighten people. My views about Thongsook are my own, and I have not demeaned or denigrated Siam's course. I work with people I have advised to use the course if they are concious of money, and in my post complimented Siam itself.

You really need to step back and take a chill pill. Your vengence against an institution that you were happy with until they were no longer happy with you is, quite frankly, bordering on the ridiculous.

Have a happy day Joe. I know you are not as bad as you are making yourself appear