Going abroad isn't easy

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
adann
Freshman Poster

Going abroad isn't easy

Post by adann »

If it were so easy, more guys would be doing it. They don't want to leave their comfortable environment. People fear change.
It takes courage to leave everything behind and head into the unknown. For those of us that have done it, we should should be applauded. I can't imagine how lonely or depressing my life would have been had I not gone abroad.

So anyway, why is it so hard? There are many reasons listed below.

-leaving your friends and family
-leaving familiar environment, culture and food
-leaving your job, career, connections, network
-learning a new language
-meeting new people, make new friends
-adjusting to new environment, culture and food
-establishing new career, connections, network
-not being tolerant and open minded to new things and experiences

In my opinion money is not really a problem. I bought a plane ticket and brought $1000 with me the first time I went abroad. I think the main obstacle would be earning income through a stable job or business.

Discuss.
traveller
Junior Poster

Re: Going abroad isn't easy

Post by traveller »

Going abroad is also expensive! You need to get a passport and a Visa first, then airfares alone will set you back up to $2,000. Plus there's hotel fees, vehicle rentals, and all else. Relocating to another country can easily cost ten times that amount. And especially as you have to go through a whole battery of bureaucracies that can deny your new residency in their country at any time. It's a very stressful, long, and hectic process. Not to mention, if you're relocating to, say, the Philippines, you need either a plane or a cargo ship to transport all of your belongings. And oftentimes, you would need voltage adapters for your electrical appliances as a 220 volt outlet will fry any appliance designed for 120 volts in minutes if not seconds.

If you are disabled and can not hold a full time job (or if you can not work at all), only the first world countries (Canada, Australia, maybe Japan, and such) have things similar to SSI (known, by the way, as a pension in Australia), Medicare, and such. In third world countries such as the Philippines, Mexico, Thailand, India, and such, every person is on his own when it comes to getting food and eating, meaning people who can not work due to disability in third world countries, including the Philippines, are doomed to starve and suffer the full punishment of any illness, cold, flu, or any disease the person has.
Last edited by traveller on August 18th, 2016, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

It's as easy as one wants it to be. Like you, I had a plane ticket, $1400 and a laptop. I'm still alive out here after 8 years.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
livefreeordie
Freshman Poster

Post by livefreeordie »

Staying in the same place you have always lived is harder
-You stay in a rut
-You create a comfort zone that resists growth
-You are more likely to be bored and get into monotony
-Less adventure, fun, excitement
-Less new experiences and challenges
-More of the same each day
-Dying inside when stuck in same job for years that you don't like
-More parasitical negative people you know around/friends/family
-Harder to make new friends
-Less interesting people than abroad
-Significantly less dating opportunities
-More mentally ill western police state culture
-More brainwashing and mind control, direct attacks against you
-More likely to become a conformist wage/debt slave zombie android, especially if married to a western woman with kids
-Idiot influences like popular sports, alcohol and garbage like that, as you are surrounded by conformist idiots and your thinking is brought down to their level
-Tall poppy syndrome, backstabbers wanting to pull you down

And the two big ones
-Far less LOVE and PASSION in your life:
-Harder to live a more passionate, exciting, fulfilled life of adventure and joy
-Less likely to find a meaningful loving partner and relationship due to the many toxic influences affecting western women

I say use the west for what its good for, financial, educational wealth building opportunities, and using it as a platform to launch a passionate lifestyle.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 27th, 2019, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

livefreeordie wrote:Staying in the same place you have always lived is harder

-Harder to make new friends
-Less interesting people than abroad
-Significantly less dating opportunities
Where I come from stateside, it's impossible to make new friends. And an average single guy literally has ZERO dating opportunities because there are almost no single women although there's the occasional single mom.

I say use the west for what its good for, financial, educational wealth building opportunities, and using it as a platform to launch a passionate lifestyle.
I'd say it's good for making money if you have an online business or passive income. The domestic job market these days is a joke, unless you were getting a job in IT, engineering, or research.
WuFan
Freshman Poster

Post by WuFan »

The reason why living abroad will always remain a fantasy for most is because of money reasons. If I moved to some 3rd world shithole I´d have to give up my entire career and sell coconuts on the beach for pennies. Not worth it just because the whores are cheaper abroad.
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

When I moved abroad, I loved it. Now that I am here, I do miss a few things, but its really only the food back in the States. I guess I can try to find something here that does it for me in terms of good food, but over-all.. yeah all I pretty much miss is the food. Everything else is great! :D
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

traveller wrote: Not to mention, if you're relocating to, say, the Philippines, you need either a plane or a cargo ship to transport all of your belongings. And oftentimes, you would need voltage adapters for your electrical appliances as a 220 volt outlet will fry any appliance designed for 120 volts in minutes if not seconds.
You don't bring all of your worldly possessions with you when you move abroad. You sell most of your stuff and buy new stuff when you arrive in your new home.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

MattHanson1990 wrote:Where I come from stateside, it's impossible to make new friends. And an average single guy literally has ZERO dating opportunities because there are almost no single women although there's the occasional single mom.
Tell me about it, where I live it's nothing but married people and the occasional single mother (who is usually overweight). :roll:
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
livefreeordie
Freshman Poster

Post by livefreeordie »

Ghost wrote:Going abroad is easy. Staying abroad is hard.
Yes because living a more adventurous and exciting life compared to a life of monotony and drudgery is really hard, or at least thats what I observe when i see the masses living lives of quiet desperation. Its a lot harder being a conformist debt slave than living a more exciting life abroad, any day of the week, doesnt matter how hypnotized someone is.
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

livefreeordie wrote:
Ghost wrote:Going abroad is easy. Staying abroad is hard.
Yes because living a more adventurous and exciting life compared to a life of monotony and drudgery is really hard, or at least thats what I observe when i see the masses living lives of quiet desperation. Its a lot harder being a conformist debt slave than living a more exciting life abroad, any day of the week, doesnt matter how hypnotized someone is.
I don't think staying abroad is hard. After all, if you got some sort of income, your set.

Like Jim Rohn use to say.. "If you hate where you live... change it! .. Your not a tree."
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

adann wrote:If it were so easy, more guys would be doing it. They don't want to leave their comfortable environment.
I think the main obstacle would be earning income through a stable job or business.
There is no universal reply to that, it depends too much on the individual, his financial situation, if he is really interested into travel/relocation, his age, also his health etc. etc.

It is more difficult for a man than for a woman, as man you need some money with you, as a woman, if young you can expect to get a lot for free when traveling abroad...

In my case, I moved over to Japan, already more than 40 years ago, without much money. Japan is clearly a place, where I can earn enough money, stable job, married with children, nothing to worry about health related bills, and also easy for me to visit other Asian countries. For me this was a much better choice than to continue to live alone in Europe.

However if you are retired, and have a small regular allowance, it is maybe best to move over to a low-price country, something like Philippines or Thailand.

Your quality of life will be better for sure than to continue to live in USA in a basement within a rather bad neighborhood.

All what you can do is to listen to various stories from individuals, who made it and also to those who failed, and compare them with your own situation.

Nothing is worse than to be on an airplane going home from where you come from .... be careful.
drronnie
Freshman Poster

Post by drronnie »

I guess I am the only "going abroader" who has been acting like the typical "basement neckbeard" and this for ten years. I guess these are lost years because I was probably thinking that due to my being Eurasian and having a decent job the women would come from alone even though I have no socials skill s and a few pounds too much.

I managed to lose a little weight but I have doubts that it will change much about my sexual market value but I do it for myself and my health. But I i,againe what could have happened if I instead of waiting for women to approach had been more pro active.
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

adann wrote:If it were so easy, more guys would be doing it.
Nothing worth doing in life is easy. The only real question is, are you going to do it or not.