Misdiagnosed Autism - Or Bad Anglosphere Environment?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
raindreamer333
Freshman Poster

Misdiagnosed Autism - Or Bad Anglosphere Environment?

Post by raindreamer333 »

There is no denying that autism is real. There are some people who have a different neurological wiring that makes it very difficult for them to relate emotionally to other people.

But my fear is that the autism label is being stuck on many people who it should be stuck on. People who have no friends and don't communcate. We assume there is something wrong with them; we never imagine there is something wrong with the people around them.

The fact is that America, Canada, and other Western nations are brutal places for people who actually have very high advanced social skills. This is because people with good social skills treat other people with respect, while the majority of people (who have poor social skills) view such a person is nice, which in the West means weak, wussy, p***y whooped, gay, ect. Worse yet, many of the people who actually have high social functioning don't fit in and are labelled as misfits, and some are probably being labelled as autistic.

I remember in high school there was a Filipina girl who came in grade 11. She had no friends. She was sweet, humble, caring - a typical filipina. But she just didn't fit in with the slutty, arrogant, entitled bitches all around her. So even though she had very good emotional intelligence, she didn't have any friends. And sooner or later, some quack psychologist would probably have been telling her that there is something wrong with her.

Growiing up, I was the same. I didn't have many friends. But I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I was healthy and it seemed that the people around me were the ones with neurotic problems - yet that not only acccepted but glorified. Being an idiot was cool.

In western culture, the normal healthy guy who just wants a simple life with a simple job with a sweet and feminine acting wife is called an outcast, a loser, and worse.....

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I have been wondering the same thing about Aspergers’s syndrome. When I was growing up, no such diagnosis existed, but now I hear about a lot of boys being diagnosed with it. And then you have the other diagnosis allowing psychiatrists to give dangerous drugs like Ritalin to boys who are hyperactive. In my opinion, psychiatry is a pseudo-science, in league with the drug companies, and driven by the profit motive. Anyone who doesn’t fit into the dysfunctional society will be labeled and drugged. The psychiatrists are another kind of police suppressing deviancy from the norms of the state. Another reason to leave the United States.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

Interesting question. I harbour few doubts that the Anglosphere is one of the worst spheres in which to have autism or AS (though the Sinosphere isn't great, I'd say that any strange behaviours exhibited by foreign autistic types would be overlooked more). Why? There is a great emphasis of conformity to societal norms in the Anglosphere. An anti-intellectual attitude also pervades, although it is probably worse in the US and Australia than in NZ or the UK, for instance. Since those with autistic traits cannot effectively conform to societal norms that include materialism and latent narcissism, they become social and intellectual outcasts. In the Anglosphere (particularly in US/Australia) that carries great consequences. It can hinder your job prospects and your life at school and uni, not only because of problems communicating, but also because you have no contacts within the workplace. In Australia, my father has demonstrably proven that you really need them. Plus you get derided as a weirdo by Anglo women and cut off from relationships of any kind with them (though that might be more of a blessing, come to think of it).

With those that are misdiagnosed, the same consequences may or may not occur, based on their behaviour. If they are blatantly misdiagnosed and behave like a regular person, then there won't be any problems unless others know about the diagnosis.

It is a sign of dysfunction when society rejects potential brilliance (it has been said that Einstein, Gates, Jefferson etc. were undiagnosed AS types) just because of societal norms that are too often moronic and nonsensical to begin with (like providing incentives for breaking up families and ruining children's lives).

FWIW, I was diagnosed as an infant, not whilst I was at school - I also have never considered the idea that I don't have AS (given how closely I fit the described traits) and find it a little insulting considering how much it has shaped (and often distorted) my life.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

catameran wrote:I have been wondering the same thing about Aspergers’s syndrome. When I was growing up, no such diagnosis existed, but now I hear about a lot of boys being diagnosed with it. And then you have the other diagnosis allowing psychiatrists to give dangerous drugs like Ritalin to boys who are hyperactive. In my opinion, psychiatry is a pseudo-science, in league with the drug companies, and driven by the profit motive. Anyone who doesn’t fit into the dysfunctional society will be labeled and drugged. The psychiatrists are another kind of police suppressing deviancy from the norms of the state. Another reason to leave the United States.
Great topic guys.

I wonder why autism has become an epidemic. Is it just cause of the vaccines, or something more?

I heard that our media does not report news, it creates it too.

Is there any neurological evidence for autism or aspergers?

I've also concluded that the reason some of us don't fit into groups is because fitting into groups requires you to "act fake" and some of us don't like that. Maybe we are more evolved. I don't know. Or perhaps it's relative. Anyone can call someone different bad names or declare them dysfunctional.

I also felt strange in the school system that I was ostracized for not being "normal" by people acting neurotic. It was like an insane asylum or bad sci fi movie turned reality.

What was confusing about all that was that deep down inside, I assumed that as long as you were nice and normal, you'd fit in everywhere and be liked and accepted by all. This was the image the Disney, Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers gave me of the world, one that was kind and loving. Yet why was I not experiencing it in the real world at school? I could never reconcile that.

Here are some great quotes I found about this:

"The sick individual finds himself at home with all other similarly sick individuals. The whole culture is geared to this kind of pathology. The result is that the average individual does not experience the separateness and isolation the fully schizophrenic person feels. He feels at ease among those who suffer from the same deformation; in fact, it is the fully sane person who feels isolated in the insane society — and he may suffer so much from the incapacity to communicate that it is he who may become psychotic." - Eric Fromm, The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness (1973)

"Insanity is a perfectly natural adjustment to a totally unnatural and negative environment." - RD Lang

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this clip from a lecture by David Icke. It addresses the dysfunction, lies and fakery that we live under. It's very relevant to this topic. Start at about 5:15 in the video where he quotes Michael Ellner about everything being upside down.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
adam917
Freshman Poster

Post by adam917 »

In my case, I was misdiagnosed when I was little not with autism but with ADHD (especially the hyperactive part). Later on, when a friend's mother told me about Asperger's & high-functioning autism, I decided to read up on it & was shocked that I match nearly all of the symptoms to a T. In the last quarter of 2007, not longer after starting therapy in university, I was given a number of different tests (took about 16 hours total over a few sessions) by a psychiatrist & I got my 1st official diagnosis of AS. A few months later, in April of 2008, I had to get checked at different place as I had to put school on hold due to financial reasons, and they determined with similar but less testing that I had AS & clinical depression (though the latter is very easy to be diagnosed with). Finally, I got yet another evaluation from a doctor the gov't sent me to almost a year ago and back came the same result.

I am convinced that I have AS. It may not be full-blown AS or maybe I am better now than when I was much younger at controlling some of the symptoms. I believe it gets in the way of my social interactions because some of my interests (one example would really bore others after even a few minutes of discussion, let alone hearing about it every now & then for years. Perhaps I am better these days at keeping these thoughts to myself but that doesn't mean I think of them less.

I made most of my friends either in school during my childhood/pre-teen years or on-line. I have a few friends from other times/places but not many, and most of my friends aren't exactly 'normal' either. They have their own issues (two are blind, one's bipolar, I know some transgender folks, etc) but we do seem to get along quite nicely. Most of them do not know each other, except for the school-originating ones. The funny thing is that the few 'normal' friends I do have we have the most disagreements, heavy debates, and simply don't see eye to eye at all outside of the things we have in common, like video-games & the sport interests we have. I find I communicate better with older people in general than my peers.

Girls/ladies rarely see me as boy-friend material or in a number of cases, even friendship material. In school for instance, they do not want to even get to know me outside of the class discussion. When the semester/quarter/term is over, so is everything associated with it, including whatever resemblance of friendship that existed. With some of them, I can tell that I'm seen as a creep. They aren't comfortable around me. Some of them (usually the ones I did manage to stay in touch with), I asked about what really is it about me that makes them uncomfortable & they simply claim to not know, or even won't answer. Even the ones that truly do want me to do better in the future, won't help me with this. It's like someone making a mistake over & over but not knowing what the mistake even is.

Finding work has been nothing but trouble. I have been involved in a couple business ventures that resulted from an existing business relationship I had with a store owner (hung around a particular store I liked the music playing in, then the staff got to know me & my intellect, owner decides to get me involved in doing some work for him on other projects). Not much else, though. No part-time work. Two jobs in the last decade (2003 & 2005 - both were high-pressure telesales that didn't work out). The whole attitude of 'it's not what you know but who you know' really becomes a problem for people without a good social background.

A lot of the music I happen to really like can be tied to AS in some ways. Most of it is pretty repetitive or at least has the same theme going on a lot (1980s pop, new age, & trance especially).

It is likely that there are countries/cities that may cater better to my condition than others. It is also possible that I may do better in some ways but worse in others elsewhere (just like anywhere, really).
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

The US is one of the worst places for forced conformism. The media loves to brag about how "homogenized" society here is, and how all the immigrants have melted into one unified "whole", i.e. the melting pot concept. In reality, it is a forced conformity, borne by bullying at all levels of society: in schools, at the workplace, from the government, etc. If you don't conform, it used to be that people just shunned you. Nowadays, you can add the threat of the government labeling you as an anarchist, a radical, a malcontent, or worst yet a terrorist. You have essentially become anything but a "patriot". I think males in the US have it worst, and not just in the dating/marriage arena, as we see here on this site, but also by the rampant drugging of lively youths (boys used to be allowed to just be boys). No longer are you allowed to play rough games on the playground. No longer can there be a losing team in league youth sports. Nowadays everybody's a "winner", and some people just get "participation awards", i.e. I get an award for just showing up. Our government employees work in this fashion, expecting a paycheck and pension just for showing up to work. So long as you conform to their idea of the "norm", you are fine. God help you, if you speak against it though.

This reminds me of one of the best Twilight Zone episodes from the 1960s: "Eye of the Beholder", in which a "horribly disfigured" woman tries to have surgery to correct her ugliness, since she didn't fit into the norm of that society. I think it's very apropos to this situation of forced conformism in the US. If you haven't seen it, I'll save the ending for you:

DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

adam917 wrote:I made most of my friends either in school during my childhood/pre-teen years or on-line. I have a few friends from other times/places but not many, and most of my friends aren't exactly 'normal' either. They have their own issues (two are blind, one's bipolar, I know some transgender folks, etc) but we do seem to get along quite nicely. Most of them do not know each other, except for the school-originating ones. The funny thing is that the few 'normal' friends I do have we have the most disagreements, heavy debates, and simply don't see eye to eye at all outside of the things we have in common, like video-games & the sport interests we have. I find I communicate better with older people in general than my peers.
Yeah, most of the close friends I've made were misfits (two were from dysfunctional families, one was Chinese, one was an intellectual, etc) - not that it really made much of a difference when it came to getting along with them.

I also agree with older people vs peers. That also applies to girls slightly older than myself, who tend to treat me a bit better than girls my age or younger girls. That being said, I've sworn off Anglo girls and they're still pretty bad, so...eh.
Girls/ladies rarely see me as boy-friend material or in a number of cases, even friendship material. In school for instance, they do not want to even get to know me outside of the class discussion. When the semester/quarter/term is over, so is everything associated with it, including whatever resemblance of friendship that existed. With some of them, I can tell that I'm seen as a creep. They aren't comfortable around me. Some of them (usually the ones I did manage to stay in touch with), I asked about what really is it about me that makes them uncomfortable & they simply claim to not know, or even won't answer. Even the ones that truly do want me to do better in the future, won't help me with this. It's like someone making a mistake over & over but not knowing what the mistake even is.
Same here, except they call me 'weird'. I notice that applies much more to Anglo girls (or rather, Anglo-bred girls) than overseas girls.
The whole attitude of 'it's not what you know but who you know' really becomes a problem for people without a good social background.
More true in Australia than America even, due to now largely overshadowed notions of 'mateship'.
It is likely that there are countries/cities that may cater better to my condition than others. It is also possible that I may do better in some ways but worse in others elsewhere (just like anywhere, really).
I believe that the Anglosphere is the worst when it comes to conformity (although some places within the Anglosphere are worse than others). I suspect that Continental Europe would be best for those with AS.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

Another thing I just thought of - I believe that girls are more conformist than guys are in general, especially within the Anglosphere. I mean, why wouldn't they be? The Anglosphere generally caters to them, so why would they not follow the societal norms set out within? As such, since many of them lack perception, they wouldn't understand why anyone else wouldn't do so - to them, if everything is fine and dandy from their perspective, then it should be for everybody else. Therefore, anyone who doesn't or cannot conform is seen as 'weird' and is summarily dismissed as relationship or even friendship material.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Autism is just a label given to a set of developmental disorders. The actual cause varies from person to person, though it's more commonly applied to children.

Back when my father was in secondary school (in Taiwan), there was no recognition of anything like "autism", it was just kids who were overly shy, or have speech/communication disorders. The treatment at public schools was rough and tough. Every morning, all students at the school assemble in the court yard area for morning exercises, very basic martial arts, and listening to speeches. Students who were overly shy were made to stand in front of hundreds (possibly over a thousand) students to shout out exercise moves, sometimes as simple as "1-2-3" for basic martial arts "horse leg" stance and punch.

The students with speech issues (in my father's day) were required to attend special "speech correction" classes, where the teacher made the students fill their mouth with marbles and recite Tang poetry and English lessons. If the student performed badly, the teacher would smack the student in the face, then make the student pick up all the marbles on the ground, wash them, and put it back into his/her mouth. As the students progressed, more and more marbles are removed until they can speak "normally". As my father recalls, the method was highly effective, and many "problem" students went on to giving elaborate Three People's Principles (*) political speeches and attend colleges abroad.

By the time that I was in elementary school in Taiwan, teachers no longer use marbles for speech therapy, but we still assembled in the quad for morning exercises and certain students had to go up and shout exercise moves. If the teacher thought a girl in class was "too shy", she'd make her go stand in front of all the students in the quad and shout orders. That was the 1970s and I don't know what they use today. It was a different time back then, when Taiwan was still under martial law. Each class was organized with a "class leader" and each row of students had a "platoon leader". Even as elementary school students we wore KMT nationalist arm bands and had to attend political rallies. In class we learned about the brave boot camp sergeant who loved his troops and jumped on a grenade instead of throwing it out the window, because he would not risk injuring any troops under his care. In secondary school the kids were required to learn how to shoot a rifle, but I had left Taiwan by then so never went to "victory hill" for rifle training.

One of my buddies in the US had a kid with autism, the kid would not talk. They sent the kid to speech therapy, not sure what they did but now the kid suddenly discovered his speech skills and would talk nonstop. >_>

(*) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Prin ... the_People

IMO America is full of diversity, it's hardly conformist or "homogenized" compared to say, Japan or South Korea. But then I'm from Asia, so my viewpoint differs from you guys.
raindreamer333
Freshman Poster

Post by raindreamer333 »

There is something else that I would like to add, just for consideration.

Almost all the diagnosis of children as austistic (the overwhelming number of children diagnosed as autistic are male) are being diagnosed by women.

In our society, boys are being feminized because women have almost exclusive access to them. For example, my mom works in a school. At her elementary schools, THERE IS NOT A SINGLE MALE TEACHER. From grade 1 through grade 7 they will only ever know female teachers. Also, because of divorce and divorce laws that are sexist against men, many boys grow up without a father in their life.

Way too many boys are being raised entirely by women. And when women raise boys, they will try to raise them in a feminine way. Boys who don't fit into the feminine mold are subject to discipline, or worse, labels as being mentally ill.

IT wasn't until I became a Scout leader that I saw this first hand. I just couldn't believe the way the female leaders treated the boys (aged 5 to 7). They were basically raising them as girls, and if they did something outside of a traditional female gender role they were punished. They were labelled as bad, or just mentally challenged somehow. Because of personal problems I thought about leaving my volunteer work at Scouts, but I decided to stay because I felt that the boys there needed a strong male role model because they aint going to get it elsewhere. They will grow up being told that they are bad or have autism or something like that just because they refuse to fit the traditional female gender role. That is my rant. What are your thoughts?
adam917
Freshman Poster

Post by adam917 »

raindreamer333 wrote:There is something else that I would like to add, just for consideration.

Almost all the diagnosis of children as austistic (the overwhelming number of children diagnosed as autistic are male) are being diagnosed by women.

In our society, boys are being feminized because women have almost exclusive access to them. For example, my mom works in a school. At her elementary schools, THERE IS NOT A SINGLE MALE TEACHER. From grade 1 through grade 7 they will only ever know female teachers. Also, because of divorce and divorce laws that are sexist against men, many boys grow up without a father in their life.

Way too many boys are being raised entirely by women. And when women raise boys, they will try to raise them in a feminine way. Boys who don't fit into the feminine mold are subject to discipline, or worse, labels as being mentally ill.

IT wasn't until I became a Scout leader that I saw this first hand. I just couldn't believe the way the female leaders treated the boys (aged 5 to 7). They were basically raising them as girls, and if they did something outside of a traditional female gender role they were punished. They were labelled as bad, or just mentally challenged somehow. Because of personal problems I thought about leaving my volunteer work at Scouts, but I decided to stay because I felt that the boys there needed a strong male role model because they aint going to get it elsewhere. They will grow up being told that they are bad or have autism or something like that just because they refuse to fit the traditional female gender role. That is my rant. What are your thoughts?
About there being no male teachers, I believe that depends on the school & class in question. I have had many (but not a higher ratio than female) male teachers in school when I was there up to 2001, though I did go to multiple schools over my life and had a decent combo of male & female teachers, including some in some surprising places like a male English, 2 male healths, & female maths/science teacher.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this Twilight Zone episode about this guy with "Asperger's" who can't function in society and starts seeing dolls come to life. His family and their psychiatrist try to rid him of his delusions with rationality and conventional wisdom. It's very amusing and the ending is great. I didn't know people were that judgmental back in the early 1960's.

Twilight Zone - Miniature
Part 1 of 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV8pV5UxXeg

Greetercb
Freshman Poster

Post by Greetercb »

For My Case I was A late talker in life ( Like Albert Eienstein before
me.) But I had A rocking & tapping problem while I was growing up.

Also I was A Sophmore in High School that I was misdiagnosed as Autisic
but at nowadays since according to my present Regular Doctor I might be
nowadays called Asburger,s Symdrome.

I do admit that I did not have the correct Social skills to attract
a Young Lady here at America for I already have too high standards for
the average AW of today.

For I always wanted my future wife to wear Skirts & Nylons all
the Time ( NO TROUSERS.) But the AW,s would not do that.

Also I bet you this following if God had placed me at either Russia
(Despite the Total communism of back then.) or South America or
Eastern Europe back when I was born instead of here at Socialist America
then I might have found & Married My Dream Lady at both Sooner & Faster this way.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

I am an Old School Crank when it comes to all of the new diseases that everyone is miraculously diagnosed with. Give something a name and you give the person an excuse and you give the Doctor an income stream.

When I was a child, we did not have Autism and Asperger's and Dyslexia.

We had the mentally disturbed, the shy, the geeky, the retarded and the introverted.

All of these diseases arose when women began to define what 'normal' was for boys.