I struggle with contradictions of Christianity

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: I struggle with contradictions of Christianity

Post by Winston »

retiredfrank wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:There is not one single historical document, outside of religious text, that speaks of Jesus. In fact, the biggest problem mainstream history has with the issue is that the most prominent historians, who actually lived in the same place, at the same time as these events, make no mention of him whatsoever.
Both Tacitus and Josephus mention Jesus.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/f ... ounts.html

There are no historians who lived in Judea at the time of Jesus whose works have survived, much less prominent historians. But no reason to think Tacitus, in particular, would falsify events. Josephus is also very trustworthy.
That's not a valid example. Tacitus and Josephus never met Jesus and did not live at the time that Jesus lived either. They were just saying what they heard about Jesus. Those references were debunked ages ago. Josephus' passage is considered a forgery. It interrupts the narrative and context, and a Jewish historian would never call Jesus "the king of the Jews", that's blasphemy. Plus that passage in Josephus wasn't mentioned by Christian theologians until hundreds of years later. If it was real, then it would have been mentioned much sooner.

The point is, none of the 40 Roman historians living at the time of Jesus mentions Jesus. Also, if Jesus rose from the dead, that would have gotten a lot of attention and made it into the history books. Especially if hundreds of people saw it, as Paul wrote in the Epistles.

Also, Jesus was only crucified for only a few hours. It usually takes a day or two to kill someone by crucifixion. So it sounds like he should have survived if he was taken down from the cross after a few hours. Some say he survived and went back to India, to Cashmere maybe.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

To say "a troublemaker in Judea called himself the son of god and was punished for his trouble making" is not saying much Winston. In fact, it almost certain there have been dozens of these "sons of God" in judea over the centuries. Religious nuts are a dime a dozen. Back in San Francisco in the 1990's, I personally shook hands with a man from England who was the reincarnation of Jesus and Buddha and Krishna and thus a living God, or so he said, and for proof he had about twenty disciples who swore he could perform miracles. I didn't give them any money, though the disciples looked hungry (the guru not so much).
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Winston wrote: a Jewish historian would never call Jesus "the king of the Jews", that's blasphemy.
That's an interesting definition of the word blasphemy.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Adama,
Check out this response by Darryl Sloan to Mario, aka The Vigilant Christian, on YouTube. It's very touching. Mario admitted on his channel that he had bipolar disorder and had been living a double life as a Christian and sinner. He even cried during his admission. Darryl felt sorry for him and gave him this very touching and empathetic response. When you see it, you will feel touched. It's like a caring friend giving someone advice straight from the heart. The amazing thing in it is that Darryl seems so genuine and real, as well as caring and compassionate. It's rare to find someone this honest and true. I haven't seen anyone like that in years. When you see it, you'll know what I mean. Darryl's total authenticity shines through here and it's very touching and rare to see someone this real. It's very touching and straight from the heart. One cannot help but feel touched by this video too. See what I mean. Here it is. Pay attention Adama, because what Darryl says may apply to you too.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EwY3RlJQFU[/youtube]
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

That Vigilant Christian guy is soooooo far from real god that's its scary.

Sorry Winston, but once you go Christian...there is no coming back in this life....unless, there is a true gods blessing.

Christianity is 1 million times powerfully darker than all the nuclear bombs combined. It was created along with Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism to take you away from God.

All religions are DEATH. YOU DIE...Atheist will DIE TOO...ITS DEATH NOT FREEDOM.

PLEASE PLEASE ...DO DHARMA....The way to reach true god without pain and suffering.

We as human beings cannot suffer the wrath of god..All Evil is God itself..Manifesting in different form.

90% of the entire universe is GOD.

We are mere 1/10 of God....
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I'm reading "Age of Reason" now by Thomas Paine, one of the founding fathers of America who incited the American Revolution with his pamphlet "Common Sense". In it, Paine explains what the "true word of God" should be. Check it out.

http://www.ushistory.org/paine/reason/singlehtml.htm
But some, perhaps, will say: Are we to have no word of God — no revelation? I answer, Yes; there is a word of God; there is a revelation.

THE WORD OF GOD IS THE CREATION WE BEHOLD and it is in this word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man.
It is only in the CREATION that all our ideas and conceptions of a word of God can unite. The Creation speaketh an universal language, independently of human speech or human language, multiplied and various as they may be. It is an ever-existing original, which every man can read. It cannot be forged; it cannot be counterfeited; it cannot be lost; it cannot be altered; it cannot be suppressed. It does not depend upon the will of man whether it shall be published or not; it publishes itself from one end of the earth to the other. It preaches to all nations and to all worlds; and this word of God reveals to man all that is necessary for man to know of God.

Do we want to contemplate his power? We see it in the immensity of the Creation. Do we want to contemplate his wisdom? We see it in the unchangeable order by which the incomprehensible whole is governed! Do we want to contemplate his munificence? We see it in the abundance with which he fills the earth. Do we want to contemplate his mercy? We see it in his not withholding that abundance even from the unthankful. In fine, do we want to know what God is? Search not the book called the Scripture, which any human hand might make, but the Scripture called the Creation.
Almost the only parts in the book called the Bible that convey to us any idea of God, are some chapters in Job and the 19th Psalm; I recollect no other. Those parts are true deistical compositions, for they treat of the Deity through his works. They take the book of Creation as the word of God, they refer to no other book, and all the inferences they make are drawn from that volume.

Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Adama wrote:
Winston wrote: a Jewish historian would never call Jesus "the king of the Jews", that's blasphemy.
That's an interesting definition of the word blasphemy.
In John the Jews were against putting king of the jews on the cross. Pilate did it anyway. It was Romans who gave him that title. No jew would acknowledge such a title. Calling him son of God might be blasphemy to jews, but probably not king. The Jews could never acknowledge any such title, but wanted king of Israel. That would make them guilty of regicide as well as being christ killers. And of course they are notorious temple money changers and golden cow mamon worshippers.

It was not just Judas, the rabbi's conspired to get false witness against Jesus, so they are guilty of bearing false witness.

Too bad we can't pin blasphemy on them as well :lol: unless denying Jesus can be called blasphemy :lol:
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Here's a huge article from a skeptic, some good points, and historical things to note.

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/WRHAR ... z4Mm0i99pH

"You believe that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a woman made from a rib was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

"And you don't understand why I have doubts?"

lol
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My advice for any ex-Christians with a chip on their shoulder toward religion.