You guys need to get out more

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: You guys need to get out more

Post by OutWest »

Kradmelder wrote:I asked a colleague today at a pub lunch. he has power boats and a boat shop. we are on the British system Russia described. he has a skippers licence for inland and coastal. he said no way to get started without the right certification. he just has boats on local dams and sometimes does lagoons. No open sea and no sailing.That type of boating towing your boat on a trailer is not for me.

his description of fuel consumption is high. like huge amounts. then again his speeds are far above a sail boat. 3 litres per hour is nothing. I can burn double that or more on a bike. he has 2 boats but I have only seen this rubber duck looking thing with twin motors and a console. his other boat is bigger. he talks more like 30 litres per hour but maybe I got it wrong. he mentioned rand per hour.

boating would only be of interest to me as open sea to remote places and like minimum 1 week trip. I would prefer people but given my situation most of it would be solo. I don't want to rely on people.

seasickness. is it an issue for solo saiLing? and do you do when you must sleep or make food or have a shit etc
sorry for curt sentences. cell phone
Yes, certifications may be good, but most importantly, You have time at the helm and sail handling...learn navigation skills and communications.
In the us, many areas have. Auxillary Coast Guard units that conduct classes for a nominal fee. It's s bargain.
That's right,. those big power boats suck up the gas! They have huge fuel tanks and may cost several thousand USD to fill. I know of one such boat near me that holds
2200 US gallons...like 8000 liters...no thanks...not for me,!
If you check out the link I put up, note the forested back ground. Between Washington state, British Columbia and the Alaska panhandle, theire are so many hundreds of islands and thousands of miles of Coastline and inlets and great fishing. Places like that are excellent, but they're not blue water because it's still coastal cruising.

You can build experience and have a wonderful time. As far as sea sickness, there are meds you can take that help, then you have to get your sea legs!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

Kradmelder wrote: his description of fuel consumption is high. like huge amounts. then again his speeds are far above a sail boat. 3 litres per hour is nothing. I can burn double that or more on a bike. he has 2 boats but I have only seen this rubber duck looking thing with twin motors and a console. his other boat is bigger. he talks more like 30 litres per hour but maybe I got it wrong. he mentioned rand per hour.

seasickness. is it an issue for solo saiLing? and do you do when you must sleep or make food or have a shit etc
Heeey! Please don’t mix up power boats with sailing yachts! It is like to compare a sprinter with a marathon runner. Speed at sea is measured in knots. 1 knot is equal to 1.852 km/h

Small power boats have 300- 1000 hp engines, which allow them to be fast in… coastal waters. Most power boats have range less than 300 nautical miles (555 km). That is why the speed does matter. To get from one pier to another one in 30 minutes. Cool for them. But they are not blue water boats.
Sail boat has unlimited range, since she is powered by wind. She has an engine 15-100 hp and it is more than enough. She is not a poser, she is an explorer, and speed doesn’t matter. The fuel consumption does though. An average sail boat can do 4-9 knots, while power boat can be as fast as 15-25. But that is not a comparison at all, because those boats have different purposes. 3 liters per hour versus 30 does matter, isn’t it?

There are so called small power trawlers, such as Nordhavn, which cost USD 500 000 +, which have huge fuel tanks and which have a range 3000-5000 nautical miles. But just 2 or 3 of them made a circumnavigation ever. That’s because up to now only bigger commercial vessels can afford to run an engine to cross an ocean. Recreational long range yachts 99.9% consists of sail boats. If you want to seek for blue waters, you have no choice, but a sail boat.

Regarding seasickness, you must try so that to understand, whether you are exposed or not. It is manageable.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Russian1860 wrote:
Kradmelder wrote: his description of fuel consumption is high. like huge amounts. then again his speeds are far above a sail boat. 3 litres per hour is nothing. I can burn double that or more on a bike. he has 2 boats but I have only seen this rubber duck looking thing with twin motors and a console. his other boat is bigger. he talks more like 30 litres per hour but maybe I got it wrong. he mentioned rand per hour.

Heeey! Please don’t mix up power boats with sailing yachts! It is like to compare a sprinter with a marathon runner. Speed at sea is measured in knots. 1 knot is equal to 1.852 km/h

Small power boats have 300- 1000 hp engines, which allow them to be fast in… coastal waters. Most power boats have range less than 300 nautical miles (555 km). That is why the speed does matter. To get from one pier to another one in 30 minutes. Cool for them. But they are not blue water boats.
Sail boat has unlimited range, since she is powered by wind. She has an engine 15-100 hp and it is more than enough. She is not a poser, she is an explorer, and speed doesn’t matter. The fuel consumption does though. An average sail boat can do 4-9 knots, while power boat can be as fast as 15-25. But that is not a comparison at all, because those boats have different purposes. 3 liters per hour versus 30 does matter, isn’t it?

There are so called small power trawlers, such as Nordhavn, which cost USD 500 000 +, which have huge fuel tanks and which have a range 3000-5000 nautical miles. But just 2 or 3 of them made a circumnavigation ever. That’s because up to now only bigger commercial vessels can afford to run an engine to cross an ocean. Recreational long range yachts 99.9% consists of sail boats. If you want to seek for blue waters, you have no choice, but a sail boat.

Regarding seasickness, you must try so that to understand, whether you are exposed or not. It is manageable.
This boat is near a twin to my own flush deck Colin archer except I'm just a sloop rig, but otherwise very close.
As the ad says, you can go anywhere in the world with this boat for actually a modest price. Thus one has been up for a while...they would likely take offers.
http://www.jul-nielsen.no/Gollum.html The flush deck with modest freeboard helps lower her profile and at the same time, her deep full keel means lots of space below. This is a nice boat for being happier abroad!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

starchild5 wrote:good one
A bike isn't $hit, you have a fly'in saucer.......... :shock:
Time to Hide!
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Moretorque wrote:
starchild5 wrote:good one
A bike isn't $hit, you have a fly'in saucer.......... :shock:
That is almost what one cop said once. I got a R500 fine once for 'failure to keep all wheels on the ground'. I stopped at a traffic light then took off again, but I was unknowingly besides an unmarked police car. The cop said on minute he was looking at a bike next to him and the next second its front went up in the air and it was disappearing down the road at high speed and was a spot in the distance. He said if it wasn't for the next traffic light he never could have caught me. Serves me right for riding too slow and not getting it green :D

He didn't appreciate a good wheelie or have a sense of humour, or the ease with which a 120 hp KTM will wheelie

But on the bright side about 2 weeks ago a black traffic cop caught me doing over 160 kmh in an 80 zone. I figured, ai there goes a few 100 rand for a bribe. But he just wanted to chat about my bike. He said that is a good looking bike and he rides himself. he only rides tar he said and he asked me how fast I can go on dirt and i told him I keep it to 100 kmh on dirt as I can fly potholes and ruts but the sand patches can take your front wheel.

You know those speed bumps to slow down traffic? i usually stand up on the pegs and hit them at well over 80 and see how far I can go before my wheels touch the ground again :lol: The secret to distance is give it throttle to lift the front end just as you hit the speed bump. It will put weight on the rear wheel so it doesn't spin and give you a good launch. With good timing you can get some good ground clearance and fly by the cars going over at 5 kmh :lol:

An american, aussie or pommie speed cop would not be amused. They tend to lack humour and appreciation for these pleasurable moments in life. A black speed cop appreciates it with a smile and at worst just asks you for a bribe, or tells you he is thirsty for a cool drink. I hear the russian speed cops are also quite strict and enforce diligently. Canadian speed cops are also humourless. I got a speed fine once and he asked me why I was travelling at such a speed. I said 'can't you write faster? Can't you see I'm in a hurry". I thought he would drop his pen until he looked up and saw me grinning from ear to ear. It is better to say my sister is a whore than my brother is a speed cop.

Another time a black cop stopped me in a black area fro speeding. He was standing in the lane. When they just wave you over I ignore them and keep on going. They can post me the fine. I wont pay them a bribe. They almost never post a fine as they only want a bribe. No profit for them in posting a fine. He was fat and stuffing his face his fried chicken and chips while talking to me. I told him I saw no sign. He told me turn around and go back about 2 km. I said how do you know I will come back?. He said you are a white man. you are honest. I laughed and he grinned without spewing food all over me, and he just told me ok just go, but next time slow down. No bribe, nothing. TIA. This is Africa. Cuaght him on a good day and he probably already had enough bribe money for fried chicken and beer. Thank God for being a White Man in Africa.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Kradmelder: What bike do you have & what are it's capacities? I'm thinking of getting one after I'm set up in Europe & would like something off-road capable. I was looking at Harley Dual Sports, but don't know much of anything about motorcycles. I know the regular Harley is a balanced bike, you can take it cross-country, and it's more comfortable for a man to ride. If I could get a regular Harley with a suspension that can handle at least some of the stuff a dirt bike can, that would be great.

Contrary to popular belief, a Harley (at least a custom bike) can blow away a rice burner in quick speed. There's a video on Youtube about that.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Wolfeye wrote:Kradmelder: What bike do you have & what are it's capacities? I'm thinking of getting one after I'm set up in Europe & would like something off-road capable. I was looking at Harley Dual Sports, but don't know much of anything about motorcycles. I know the regular Harley is a balanced bike, you can take it cross-country, and it's more comfortable for a man to ride. If I could get a regular Harley with a suspension that can handle at least some of the stuff a dirt bike can, that would be great.

Contrary to popular belief, a Harley (at least a custom bike) can blow away a rice burner in quick speed. There's a video on Youtube about that.
I have KTMs and BMWs. Don't go for a Harley. They are road bikes, very heavy, poor brakes, no ground clearance, unreleiable and leak oil. They are also very expensive, ecept for the USA, where they high import duties keep all foreign bikes expensive

here is my opinion: KTM 950, 990. Hardy long distance dirt bikes that can do road but not the most comfortable on tar and lacking things like a fuel gauge. I have one. Awesome bike for long dirt trips
KTM 690 dirt bike and worse on raod than the above. Not comfortable for tar or distance. Can do single track and real MX type riding. The above bikes too large for that really
KTM 1190 still dirt capable if you get the R but more like the BMW. 150 hp beast. I have one
BMW 800 kak front supension
BMW 1200 more road oriented than the KTMs but still off road capabale for normal dirt roads. Kak in sand and mud. I have one
Triumphs 800 and 1200 too heavy for dirt really
Yamaha super tenere too heavy
Honda Africa twin. Haven't tried the new one but it is heavier and has less power than the KTMs and BMWs
Harleys all of them are far too heavy, total road bias. here isa good article that somes u Harly. Totally correct
http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html

Weight is your enemy off road, especially as a newbie. What you want to be dirt capable for travel not just MX, is a 21 inch front wheel (but it reduces tar cornering capability), reduced weight, ground clearance (if you are not a short shit), sufficient range if you want to travel long distance off road (like 250 km at least), ergonomics that you can stand on the pegs (not sit feet up like a harley), ability to carry luggage and a comfortable seat.

Regarding harleys One has to wonder why a HD V-twin produces far less power than other V-twins, especially when considering the large displacement of HD engines. Why the pathetic power/weight ratio? It's their long stroke to small bore, and the fact that it is a push rod engine. It means HD engines can't rev high without vibrating horribly. They rev at half the speed of similar engines. Where a HD may explode at 6000 rpm, another V twin is just getting into its stride. Vibration is worsened by 45 degree motor, which gives that harley sound. So engine design is a victory of image over substance. Have the harley sound instead of performance, and suffer low power and vibrations.

Harley uses very old engine technology to remain simple, and says 'its tradition'. Why then don't harley riders cage in Model Ts for the sake of tradition? Just call it the Amercian Special Edition classic super fat glide or something like that and put a huge price tag to sell a newly built Model T and weather a leather cap and goggles. It has nothing to do with tradition, its the victory of image over substance. In what other form of machinery are people prepared to accept outdated inefficient design for the sake of 'tradtion'.? Many will accept anything for the sake of image if they buy into the image.

Look at the price of harley. For that price one would expect performance and the product of R&D. . But harley is an expensive fashion statement. Its like saying I'm a rebel and a free spirit and I paid a fortune for a 50 HP motor and 300 kg of chrome to show it.

Harley started to produce a proper bike with the V rod. Its water cooled and has a 60 degree v twin. hence doesnt have the traditional harley sound. And so now a harley can rev like any other bike and produce power without all the vibrations. It But its stll a seriously heavy 300+ kg monster. A fat chick. But it never went anywhere as harley owners want the harley image, not an improved bike. As a compromise the V rod has a long wheel base and low seat height, which i would guess sacrifice cornering ability just for that feet forward harley look. Again image takes precedence over substance. Sex appeal over the ability to do the deed. I fell for this when I dated models, and then found they dont perform in bed. I prefer one that performs now than some made up tart.

Harley has survived by brand image and by lobbying to get high tariffs on foreign bikes in order to justify outrageous HD prices. Through their image, accessories, clothing and social networsk like HOG, they keep a loyal if ageing clientele, and attract ageing wannabes. Cant do HOG parades in pirate costume and HD acessories on a rice burner. That has been the HD success.

Harley sells image with little new technology at a premium price. Image with little substance. Harley has the ability to take a fat slob in a trailer park and assembly line factory job, put him on one of their bikes and make him feel good. A real bad biker type and not just a loser. Ja, a real bad ass. A kid on a 250 jap bike will outperform your sportser. A harley is image on 2 wheels. trying to make a statement by flash, chrome and noise. Americans love performance and technology and are world leaders at it. why settle for less in their bikes?

I dont like the rice burner sports bikes either, not because they are bad bikes but the riding I do has no application for them. They have no suspension for bad roads, no ground clearance to off road are geared wrong, are uncomfortable and cant carry luggage. But at least they have a niche if you enjoy track days. I cant say the same for harley, whose only niche is to make a lot of noise potatoe-potatoe, cluttering roads at slow speeds and dressed up like a pirate. It has no application for a biker who likes to ride and is simply in it for riding pleasure and the most enjoyable way to get around. Yet harley owners are loyal to the brand. I would figure if you like the chrome and image thing, then rather a custom.

It seems to be an american thing. Harley have a small following in europe, and some here, but they dont attain the popularity they do in america, nor the image, except for some poser types. I just don't get it the attraction of it. I guess if I went to the USA and hired a bike it would have to be a harley as simply the most practical way to get around the USA. Your speed limits are low, roads tarred, and the dealer network is there. There wouldn't really be the environment to put my adv bikes through their niche. and a rice burner is nuts due to your low speed limits and traffic enforcement. You also cant lane split, except in CA, so a high seat height and upright sitting on a nimble bike doesn't help.

But if i ever buy a harley it is because I am too old or too fat to get my leg over a proper bike. In that case, someone please shoot me.
Last edited by Kradmelder on October 31st, 2016, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

This boat is near a twin to my own flush deck Colin archer except I'm just a sloop rig, but otherwise very close.
As the ad says, you can go anywhere in the world with this boat for actually a modest price. Thus one has been up for a while...they would likely take offers.
http://www.jul-nielsen.no/Gollum.html The flush deck with modest freeboard helps lower her profile and at the same time, her deep full keel means lots of space below. This is a nice boat for being happier abroad![/quote]

There is no cabin or shade on deck? Don't you burn, especially on the water?

Do you have a shower or is the fresh water supply very limited? I guess you can't carry the usual 200 litres per person per day so must cut back on water consuming stuff like flush toilets and showers.

Does it get stuffy below deck in hot climates? I cant see that you get much airflow
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Kradmelder wrote:

http://www.jul-nielsen.no/Gollum.html The flush deck with modest freeboard helps lower her profile and at the same time, her deep full keel means lots of space below. This is a nice boat for being happier abroad!

There is no cabin or shade on deck? Don't you burn, especially on the water?

Do you have a shower or is the fresh water supply very limited? I guess you can't carry the usual 200 litres per person per day so must cut back on water consuming stuff like flush toilets and showers.

Does it get stuffy below deck in hot climates? I cant see that you get much airflow[/quote]

We have a dodger and removable full sunshade over the stern cockpit area...don't know how we
Could get along without it. We do have an electric ventilation system and we are in. Water that is typically well
Below the air temperature.

The water question...we carry only about 800 litres of water...technology to the rescue! We installed a fresh water system
That can produce about 100 litres an hour . You still have to be water thrifty even then.
For sailors, water use us a big issue! With the water maker, our tanks are more like a fresh water reserve...it's a huge help.