New Forum Member!! "Jon"

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Squirrel
Freshman Poster

New Forum Member!! "Jon"

Post by Squirrel »

Greetings everyone. I'm US born and reside in Kansas. The reasons for me joining here or wanting to ask questions probably mirror that of many of you. On a personal note I'm finding it hard to keep my motivation to continue learning Russian because I'm trying to chase some worthless US tail. *sigh* Sucks to be me sometimes. Just wondering whos been in my shoes (probably quite a few of you) and what advice anyone has for a discouraged and hopeless feeling man to start out. -J
"So that's the only game we have? When they're drunk?"
wuxi
Freshman Poster

Post by wuxi »

Welcome to the forum. I suggest 3 weeks vacation in Cebu and you'll be a new man. You can stop studying russian anytime.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

There are lot of other easier languages than Russian, which can lead you to find nice women. Spanish, for instance. That language will give you access to about 32 countries. Russian gives you access to one (a big one, granted), but I'd spend some time in Russia first, to see if it's really a culture you want to invest so much time and energy in, in order to find the right lady. OK, yes, Russian can help you understand some other Slavic languages, but not without difficulty, unless you're a language guru. Most of South America and Central America speaks Spanish, and it's easier to learn and get to.
Squirrel
Freshman Poster

Post by Squirrel »

Thank you very much for the replies. I'd consider myself a language guru (for an American anyway. In other words it's an interest of mine which instantly puts me in the un-coveted "nerd" category...) The main thing I am worried about would be "even if they speak my language or i speak theirs how can that even get me to penpal status?" I'm just really serious about this. Even my friends that I grew up with (guys) are telling me I am too idealistic about finding "the one" and that no amount of effort will make things easier unless I "Mature." The thing that pisses me off about this is I could fire right back with, "Ok, so it's mature to just f**k around all the while holding back the inner you and showing no interest in hers (most women here simply don't have one or need one.) and accept the females version of "the game?""

Am I wrong to value and put max effort into finding someone? Ok, maybe I feel a little too strongly about it or have intense emotions and I'll be branded as a loser here too for simply being the uninhibited me, but is it wrong for me to value finding the right woman above most other things? I mean, that brings me to another question. No matter how you start talking to someone, eventually you start talking about more diverse or more important thoughts/feelings and this is a typical endpoint to most relationships in my experience. Just because that is where someone gets to know the real you beyond your wardrobe/occupation and how you carry yourself.

There's bound to be someone who has been in my shoes with experience in other countries. Hopefully that experience has led them to find that someone they met wasn't freaked out about knowing more about a guy and caring if he's lucky. Even if it didn't work out maybe she still kept in contact or knew someone he could talk to. Apologies in advance if any of this is off putting or makes me look like some hopeless case, but I'm an obvious "newb" despite the fact I know a Russian woman currently studying in the Czech Republic and a lovely lady named Gina from Mexico. Conversations I've had with these ladies always leave me with a sense of fulfillment not found unless the planets align and even so are fleeting at best.

And yes Russian is quite a challenge and I'm not "too big to admit" that I would go with an "easier" option if it is available to me.

Appreciate the feedback, -J
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

What are your education and career background? There are many international companies offering jobs abroad. For example:
https://ey.taleo.net/careersection/gexp01/jobsearch.ftl
http://careers.americanexpress.com/

The world is a big place, don't limit yourself to US and Russia only.
Squirrel
Freshman Poster

Post by Squirrel »

Oh I have not plans on limiting myself to anything. In contrast I want to expand. I guess I'm just wanting to know if its within the realm of possibility. As of right now I'll have to wait a while due to the fact I'm currently in the US Marines and have skill in repairing electronics. I've also got a civilian job with caring for mentally disabled children.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

Squirrel, check your PM inbox.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Welcome Jon. Never talked to someone in Kansas before. What are the girls like? Are they sweet and feminine like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz? lol

You only need to learn basic Russian to get along, unless you plan to live there.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Squirrel wrote:Oh I have not plans on limiting myself to anything. In contrast I want to expand. I guess I'm just wanting to know if its within the realm of possibility. As of right now I'll have to wait a while due to the fact I'm currently in the US Marines and have skill in repairing electronics. I've also got a civilian job with caring for mentally disabled children.
Thank you for serving in the armed forces.

When you've completed your service with the USMC, you could try applying for Foreign Service Officer positions. As a veteran, you'll have preferential treatment in the selection process. Learning a foreign language of choice will also help you target specific country for employement. In other words, don't learn Pashto or Dari. ;p

http://www.careers.state.gov/officer/index.html

Consular: Consular Officers protect Americans abroad and strengthen U.S. border security.

Economic: Economic Officers work on economic partnerships and development, support U.S. businesses abroad, and cover environmental, science, technology, and health issues.

Management: Management Officers run our embassies and make American diplomacy work.

Political: Political Officers analyze political events.

Public Diplomacy: Public Diplomacy Officers explain American values and policies.

http://www.careers.state.gov/docs/3.0_FSO_RegGuide.pdf

Candidates with veteran points and/or a demonstrated speaking proficiency in a foreign language can earn bonus points and improve their rank-order positions on the hiring lists.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Hi Jon,
Squirrel wrote:The main thing I am worried about would be "even if they speak my language or i speak theirs how can that even get me to penpal status?" I'm just really serious about this.
That's a good question, Jon. I think the fact is that you can't know that unless you have actually visited the country. For example, I first had thought that I wanted to go to the Czech Republic and was really gung-ho about learning Czech and spent the summer in Prague learning Czech. Well, I got an A+ in my language course there, but I also realized that I didn't fit in with the people at all there. So I wasted a lot of time because of this. I wouldn't say all my experiences in the Czech Republic were a waste, but it certainly didn't turn out the way I wanted. Later I went to Hungary taking a leap of faith with a one-year contract and I got lucky because it turned out to be a good fit for me.

But I think the ideal thing would be to go on a tour of several countries before you commit to studying a difficult language intensely. Spending a few days or a few weeks in a country won't be enought to tell if you'll be happy there long-term, but it can tell you if you'd hate it there very quickly.

I find it unusual to find a Marine who is so open-minded and who hasn't been brainwashed into thinking, "America is Number 1! All foreigners are evil." But perhaps I have an unfair stereotype of the Marines.

Good luck,

Jackal
Squirrel
Freshman Poster

Post by Squirrel »

To Momopi:! Excellent possible career info! A big encouragement! Appologies everyone, but I'm starting to feel better about this the more I look into it. Regarding the service I can't exactly say "No sweat" for obvious reasons, but I'll tell you it is an honor to do so. I consider myself a "true patriot" and not the dogmatic ludicrous taint that the word patriot ingrains in the minds of intellectuals suck as we. Thank you for the reply.

And Winston? You would wouldn't you? You and everyone else with the freaking Oz! LOL Well, to give you an "appropriate answer" on what the women in KS are like here you go. "Dating kansas women will turn you into a pliable man of straw, a heartless hunk of tin with a vengeful axe, and the courage of a cowardly lion." - Holy crap. I need to copyright that or something.

Jackal, Thanks for the vote of confidence. And suprisingly about a quarter of the enlisted Marine Corps (Enlisted that is, and you never heard this from me!) Veteran, or retired say one thing. "If this country goes revolutionary again I know whos side I'm on." After all, I swore an oath. And that oath states, "Support and defend the CONSTITUTION of the united states." Notice it does not say facist pigs who lie exponentially to the googleplexth power. And your stereotype isn't unfair. Unfortunately, the Marines earn alot of their scorn. This tarnishes marines such as myself who form the backbone of the corps. And thanks for the response.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jon, what do you think of this speech from this ex-soldier in Iraq?

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Squirrel
Freshman Poster

Post by Squirrel »

It's an amazing speech and the man has balls. I could make a very long-winded speech of epic proportions WITHOUT the aid of references. That is how apparent this has become. And believe it or not it is a mainstay discussion in scuttlebutt talks among enlisted members. Although now the more popular term is (smoke pit talks) God forbid an officer hear you though, because he'll spew forth from his infinite wellspring of political propaganda and patronize you until you either agree or pretend to agree.
Squirrel
Freshman Poster

Post by Squirrel »

Oh and btw, a name you should look up is "Brigadier General Jacob Zeland." You may not find anything at all. But that was a Marine Corps Commandant and he smelled a rat. He attempted to do something about it because he was like me. Only he had some weight on his collar and influence. Not surprising he had to "step down" from his position.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Thanks Jon.
So what happens if the troops refuse to fight and demand to go home? How will they force them to stay? Will they shoot them if they refuse to participate in the operation?

Can they insist or plead insanity, like they can to get out of boot camp?

Do the troops know that they are there for oil, power and other diabolical reasons? If so, how do they wake up everyday and accept it? Have you talked to them about it?