Places to stay in Cebu

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
salsero
Freshman Poster

Places to stay in Cebu

Post by salsero »

I am planning my trip to cebu. I will stay there for a week or longer if I like it. Any recommendations for places to stay which has AC? Are there weekly/short term apartments available ? What's the best way to find these apartments?
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Ladislav and Winston have been there.

I have heard that this place is good, cheap, and close to it all:

http://www.cebucenturyhotel.com/

About 600 PHP per day. $14 USD. 22X for monthly rate discount. 13k PHP, about $296 USD.

Used to be 385 not too many years ago.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Why do you need apartments? Hotels are cheap. Google: cheap hotels, Cebu.

This one is good:

http://cebu-hotels.com/century.htm

and choose here:

http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/ph ... cebu-city/

For nightlife, just ask your taxi driver to take you to:

Bars on Mango Avenue
St Moritz Bar
Silver Dollar Bar
Thunderdome
Firehouse
Junquera Street ( Hoon-KEH-Rah)
Apple Bikini Bar
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I have to disagree with the Cebu Century recommendation. That is in a horrible part of town. Head up to the Lahug area near Ayala. You can find places like Casa Rosario or Sampaguita Suites for around $20 a night. They just uh... happen to be near some of the best night life in Cebu too. That's just a coincidence though.

This is in safer, more upscale area. Nice schools and people drive nice cars. I stayed there for like 6 months.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Do these hotels have Internet access in the room? I need Internet access for my work.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I am not sure about the Internet. I have not been in Cebu in three years. If the worst comes to worse, you can buy a USB dongle- Globe Tatoo and use it.
It is for sale at most cellphone shops.
An email to hotels prior to going there is in order.
Whether Colon is a horrible part of town or not is a judgment call. I found it to be very authentic and would hang out there routinely.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Casa Rosario has WIFI pretty much throughout the building. Not the fastest in the world, but I could still download a movie and watch it the same night.

I agree about Colon being a judgement call. Nothing ever happened to me personally while there, but even locals constantly told me I should not go. A local also told me she was robbed at gunpoint in that area. Also, I am primarily talking about looks more than anything else.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
salsero
Freshman Poster

stayed at both the places and the winner is...

Post by salsero »

I stayed at the century first. The rate for delux room with AC and wifi is about P850. The neighborhood is very interesting and bit shady. Every time a girl ask me where I am staying, after hearing the name of the street they were like that's a bad area. Even though I didn't feel unsafe, I personally thought why argue with the girls. Now I am at casa rosario for P1250/night. The rooms are much better and the neighborhood is very nice.

Just FYI for others in the same shoes...
ComingSoon
Freshman Poster

Re: Places to stay in Cebu

Post by ComingSoon »

Im sure some of you have read the book" the adventure filled life" by Max Vance. He suggest that colon is the best place to stay and the best place to pick up women in the shops. I have also read more than once that it is not safe. Has anyone actually stayed in the area and wandered around? Night time? During the day? Exactly what part of Colon would you recommend staying in? Do you think girls you meet would be turned off? Anyone with any experience on this subject?
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Cathy and I always stayed at the Cebu Marriott. Believe it's around $120 a night but it's a nice hotel right next to the Ayala Mall. My wife used to live and work in Cebu and she said Colon was not an option. Too dangerous in her opinion. Waterfront Hotel is also near. DaveWe and his wife have stayed there and they said it was nice as well. Both are in Lahug which is nicer area of town.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I always stay at the Mango Park Hotel when I visit Cebu.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

I've stayed at Express Inn on Mactan Island, its close to the airport and around P1100 a night.

Express Inn - Mactan
https://www.agoda.com/express-inn-macta ... B65Q%3d%3d
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

pete98146 wrote:Cathy and I always stayed at the Cebu Marriott. Believe it's around $120 a night but it's a nice hotel right next to the Ayala Mall. My wife used to live and work in Cebu and she said Colon was not an option. Too dangerous in her opinion. Waterfront Hotel is also near. DaveWe and his wife have stayed there and they said it was nice as well. Both are in Lahug which is nicer area of town.
The Waterfront Mactan is where we have often stayed because it is right across the street from the airport and our flight usually arrives late. My wife loves the buffet breakfast, which is ridiculously overpriced unless you get the package including breakfast; then it's a deal. So depending on the time of year the cost is somewhere around $65/night. As a basically cheap kano, this is usually the most expensive hotel I go to in the Philippines.

The traffic in Cebu is worse then ever. So for me I would book a hotel close to where you want to eventually be. There are plenty of decent inexpensive hotels in Cebu City, but for us we don't stay in the city more than a day or two, so Waterfront Mactan works best.
ComingSoon
Freshman Poster

Post by ComingSoon »

The adventurer, are you talking about Casa Rosario near Magellans cross or north of Fuente Omena circle?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Always when visiting Cebu since many years I am using the following hotel/pension house

1 -
http://www.fuentepensionhouse.com/

A simple cheap hotel with friendly staff and good restaurant at the top of the building
next to Fuente Osmena Circle

Internet is not working in the rooms, only within the restaurant area
I use it as it is convenient for meeting my Filipina foster daughter in evening as it is near to her university, short taxi ride to Ayala Mall, not far by taxi to the Sto.Nino Church area etc.

2 -
http://www.montebellovillahotel.com/

A very nice hotel with swimming pool and large garden behind the country shopping mall outside in Banilad.
Internet is working in all rooms. The location is very good for me as my Filipina foster daughter is living not far away from there.
However otherwise, if you have nothing to do in this area, I doubt if this is a convenient location within Cebu/Mandaue City.

Check out their webpages for more information.