Holiday Trip

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Holiday Trip

Post by Kradmelder »

Had a free weekend with kids at their mother's and planned my summer holiday bike trip. Route is loaded into the GPS, checked by GPS for scenery, 80% of it remote dirt roads where cars are as rare as brain cells in a darkies skull, with towns spaced far enough for overnights and fuel. I just haven't checked that petrol is available at least every 300 km, which is about the range of my bike and a 5 l jerry can. some stretches are over 250 km with no town or tar road. I also need to check approximate days as some small places there is no petrol station and fuel is only available at a farmer's Co-Op, weekdays only.

The trip is about 3500 km on the GPS, which means about 4000 km with detours, getting fuel, meals etc. Not one major town and all are bypassed by a huge distance. Im planning on leaving about the 3rd of January, when all the normal people are back at work so that the roads are empty and accomodation is available with no booking. Also everyone is back then so it is easy to get someone else to fill my slot on the security patrol roster.

It is hard to plan exact days as the weather and road conditions play havoc with the route and distances. I have until the 15th latest to be back. I still need to plan where I stop for one day to do laundry ( I cant carry enough clothes), wash the salt and sweat out of the bike kit, strip the chain clean of sand and mud, and generally let my body recover from the hammering of all the bad roads and no proper meals. 400 km of rough dirt each day is bruising to bike and body.

Knobblie tyres on that can last the trip, chain and sprockets are almost new, brake pads, fuel filter all new and OK, firearm stripped and cleaned, first aid kit stocked, new batteries for the torch. Just need to check oil, water and tyre pressure the day before departure.

I don't get as excited like I used to. But a solo adventure trip is necessary for the mindset, and to keep feeling like a free white man that can survive alone in remote places. If you don't do it you end up as a fat lazy tame house cat.

Arriving on a dirty bike in some small town and chatting to the locals sure picks up women :lol: It also renews your faith in people as you meet the kindest people. Every one is willing to help a lone biker in remote areas.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Holiday Trip

Post by yick »

Sounds good my man, you know where I have always fancied going? Up towards Pietersburg and the Limpopo - all round there, might do it one day, not on a bike though.

Have a good trip and keep it safe and let us know how it goes!
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

yick wrote:Sounds good my man, you know where I have always fancied going? Up towards Pietersburg and the Limpopo - all round there, might do it one day, not on a bike though.

Have a good trip and keep it safe and let us know how it goes!
I go there often for work. And north. I have done work on many of the mines north of the Soutpansberg. That is proper pap eating dutchman country. And I am originally from the eastern cape, where we don't eat pap :lol: Not even the blacks in the eastern cape want pap. They prefer samp and beans :lol: The whiteys eat roosterkoek on the braai instead. Or braai sarmies.

eastern cape is a tiny minority of whites. Only 300 000 at most surrounded by all the Xhosas. We are like <3% of the population there, hence the most racist :lol: . The vast majority in PE or east London, but not me. Im from a small town. We also had the most terrorism as Mandela and his terrorist ilk are all from the eastern cape. All the big trials like Steve Biko and the Cradock 4 are from the eastern cape. Mandela had jew backers so they moved him to Joburg. In the eastern cape whitey would would have sorted his shit out after his first terror attack or turned him into a ja baas darkie. That is why all black leaders had to flee to Transvaal, where jews protected them. except for students, it is hard to find a liberal in the eastern cape as a daimond in a jew's rubbish bin.

Yet even still when you go to pap vreeter dutchman country like the OVS or Pietersburg they look at you funny when you don't eat pap. As if you are a fish and chip eating englishman
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

I'm going to call a truce with you, Kradmelder. Here in the USA, I'd have nothing to do with you because of all the trouble you'd bring with your primitive views. But since it's the internet and I'm anonymous, those views don't really matter.

Enjoy your trip. If I were in Africa, especially RSA, I'd probably switch to a dirt motorcycle for safety reasons: safety from humans, that is. But without the crime issue, I prefer bicycles for many reasons: the western United States is truly huge when you go slowly on bicycle (50km/day in 3-4 hours) or foot, but not so huge when on a motorcycle; quieter and closer to nature; less maintenance issues (at least with a top quality dirt bicycle like mine, remember I travel most of the year and live in motels and so don't have a workshop); gives me 3-4 hours per day of slow steady exercise.

The last reason is by far the most important. What I've learned about life is that money, women, fame, friends, etc are all of little importance compared to physical health, and for me at least, physical health requires 3-4 hours/day of slow steady exercise. Backpacking, which I do in the during the spring in Europe, is another way to get 3-4 hours daily exercise. Stalking game as a hunter would be another way, or gardening, or delivering mail as a postman, or scrounging for aluminum cans in the garbage like the homeless: any of these would make me happier at this point in my life than sitting before a computer screen all day like I did in my twenties.

You mentioned temperatures. Here where I am now, in the low desert of southern California, it seldom drops below freezing. In the high desert of central Nevada, on the other hand, where I was in November, it can drop to -35 celsius with 100 km/hr winds, but that's rare and mostly in late December/January. Lowest for me this trip was -10 celsius, but that was only at night. Everything warms up when the sun rises. Needless to say, I check the weather forecast before leaving town and my gear will easily handle temps down to that -10 celsius I experienced.

I would agree that everyone, but especially men, needs to spend time alone in nature periodically, preferably including camping some of the nights. And nowhere is nature more solitary and quiet and beautiful than the desert in winter, especially at night (quiet, that is, when there is little wind, which is at least 80% of the time in winter, when the wind does blow, the desert can be noisy as a mountaintop during a storm).

[Edit: Fahrenheit to Celsius wrong]
Last edited by Shemp on December 17th, 2016, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Kradmelder wrote:Had a free weekend with kids at their mother's and planned my summer holiday bike trip. Route is loaded into the GPS, checked by GPS for scenery, 80% of it remote dirt roads where cars are as rare as brain cells in a darkies skull, with towns spaced far enough for overnights and fuel. I just haven't checked that petrol is available at least every 300 km, which is about the range of my bike and a 5 l jerry can. some stretches are over 250 km with no town or tar road. I also need to check approximate days as some small places there is no petrol station and fuel is only available at a farmer's Co-Op, weekdays only.
That's very nice Kradmelder. I was never a bike guy but this year I've managed a few 300km trips and have come to appreciate the feeling of freedom and going through the landscapes. The freedom part really comes into perspective when you have a breakdown and have to push or walk lol.
Albeit my bike is just a shitty 100cc, compared to the one in your pic.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

retiredfrank wrote:I'm going to call a truce with you, Kradmelder. Here in the USA, I'd have nothing to do with you because of all the trouble you'd bring with your primitive views. But since it's the internet and I'm anonymous, those views don't really matter.

Enjoy your trip. If I were in Africa, especially RSA, I'd probably switch to a dirt motorcycle for safety reasons: safety from humans, that is. But without the crime issue, I prefer bicycles for many reasons: the western United States is truly huge when you go slowly on bicycle (50km/day in 3-4 hours) or foot, but not so huge when on a motorcycle; quieter and closer to nature; less maintenance issues (at least with a top quality dirt bicycle like mine, remember I travel most of the year and live in motels and so don't have a workshop); gives me 3-4 hours per day of slow steady exercise.

The last reason is by far the most important. What I've learned about life is that money, women, fame, friends, etc are all of little importance compared to physical health, and for me at least, physical health requires 3-4 hours/day of slow steady exercise. Backpacking, which I do in the during the spring in Europe, is another way to get 3-4 hours daily exercise. Stalking game as a hunter would be another way, or gardening, or delivering mail as a postman, or scrounging for aluminum cans in the garbage like the homeless: any of these would make me happier at this point in my life than sitting before a computer screen all day like I did in my twenties.

You mentioned temperatures. Here where I am now, in the low desert of southern California, it seldom drops below freezing. In the high desert of central Nevada, on the other hand, where I was in November, it can drop to -35 celsius with 100 km/hr winds, but that's rare and mostly in late December/January. Lowest for me this trip was -10 celsius, but that was only at night. Everything warms up when the sun rises. Needless to say, I check the weather forecast before leaving town and my gear will easily handle temps down to that -10 celsius I experienced.

I would agree that everyone, but especially men, needs to spend time alone in nature periodically, preferably including camping some of the nights. And nowhere is nature more solitary and quiet and beautiful than the desert in winter, especially at night (quiet, that is, when there is little wind, which is at least 80% of the time in winter, when the wind does blow, the desert can be noisy as a mountaintop during a storm).

That is flipping cold. The coldest I've got is minus like 1 or 2. It warms up to above zero when the sun rises. Riding in even 5 c is cold due to the 120 kmh wind chill factor. I dont have all that american stuff like plug in suits and winter gloves. Not needed here. I have hand grip warmers but just normal summer gloves. When you hands get frozen stop and put them on the pipes.

Worse than cold is rain in some places. Where the road is clay it turns into mud like snot so slippery you can barely stand. It is real treacherous on a bike and falls are easy. Due to no footing it is very difficult to pick up your bike again as you cant use your legs. Just brute strength at the risk of hurting your back, which happened to me once. One time it took me nearly 6 hrs to do 125 km. With age comes a decreasing ability to pick up your bike more than once in a morning, but the wisdom to avoid such conditions :D. And those roads are so empty you won't see more than a car a day, so no one will help you.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

droid wrote:
Kradmelder wrote:Had a free weekend with kids at their mother's and planned my summer holiday bike trip. Route is loaded into the GPS, checked by GPS for scenery, 80% of it remote dirt roads where cars are as rare as brain cells in a darkies skull, with towns spaced far enough for overnights and fuel. I just haven't checked that petrol is available at least every 300 km, which is about the range of my bike and a 5 l jerry can. some stretches are over 250 km with no town or tar road. I also need to check approximate days as some small places there is no petrol station and fuel is only available at a farmer's Co-Op, weekdays only.
That's very nice Kradmelder. I was never a bike guy but this year I've managed a few 300km trips and have come to appreciate the feeling of freedom and going through the landscapes. The freedom part really comes into perspective when you have a breakdown and have to push or walk lol.
Albeit my bike is just a shitty 100cc, compared to the one in your pic.
Ja, those small chinese commuter bikes are not really built for travel. They take too much strain on the open road. Riding 250 cc 2 stroke MX dirt bikes off road, and moving up to more serious travel bikes is a whole new game. For travel you need at least 650 cc to handle the weight and speeds required, at the expense of more difficult handling off road. You can travel on a 450 if you travel slow. Another thing is the vibrations on a single get tiring. A twin is much smoother so less tiring on the open road.

Im doing anything from 400-800 km per day, with the latter on days that are largely tar and the former all dirt. On tar i travel at over 140 up to 160 kmh. Cant go faster than 160 on knobblie tyres. On dirt anywhere from 25-100, depending on conditions, so the small bikes wouldn't work for me.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Kradmelder wrote:
retiredfrank wrote:I'm going to call a truce with you, Kradmelder. Here in the USA, I'd have nothing to do with you because of all the trouble you'd bring with your primitive views. But since it's the internet and I'm anonymous, those views don't really matter.

That is flipping cold. The coldest I've got is minus like 1 or 2. It warms up to above zero when the sun rises. Riding in even 5 c is cold due to the 120 kmh wind chill factor. I dont have all that american stuff like plug in suits and winter gloves. Not needed here. I have hand grip warmers but just normal summer gloves. When you hands get frozen stop and put them on the pipes.

Worse than cold is rain in some places. Where the road is clay it turns into mud like snot so slippery you can barely stand. It is real treacherous on a bike and falls are easy. Due to no footing it is very difficult to pick up your bike again as you cant use your legs. Just brute strength at the risk of hurting your back, which happened to me once. One time it took me nearly 6 hrs to do 125 km. With age comes a decreasing ability to pick up your bike more than once in a morning, but the wisdom to avoid such conditions :D. And those roads are so empty you won't see more than a car a day, so no one will help you.
Like I said, that -35 celsius with 100 km/hour wind is rare and I would never go out in weather like that. Even the elk can't tolerate that type weather in open country (they retreat to areas with trees for shelter). But 0 celsius (freezing) is not bad on a bicycle, since we don't ride fast like with motorcycles and we generate a lot of heat from pedaling. I just wear light fleece mittens. Big worry is repairs in cold weather, since my hands would quickly go numb and I can't work with tiny bicycle parts with numb hands. If I ever have a breakdown in the cold, I'd just hibernate until warmer conditions. At least in November, bitter cold never lasts more than a few days.

Mud is even worse for bicycles than motorcycles. But ground is dry enough in November that the moisture quickly disappears. I had about 6 inches snow one night this trip, but no mud when I finally got up at noon, since the sun and wind had already dried things up. Melting snow in spring is another story. Heavy rain is in the late summer (monsoon season). I would just hibernate until the sun dries things out if I were riding in late summer. Hibernation is the solution to so many problems: cold, rain, illness, injury. But I prefer the forests in late summer. Unlike motorcyclists, bicyclists tend to want as much skin exposed as possible in hot weather, and since, like you, I don't have the advantage of black skin to protect me, too much sun is a problem.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

I never understood this thing about bicyclists wanting exposed skin. You dehydrate much faster with exposed skin, wind burn enhances sunburn and you burn much faster. If I have a slit exposed between wrist and gloves I have a burn end of the day, and a helmet burn between sunglasses and helmet since I keep the visor up. Can't ride dirt with visor down as you can't see small variations in the road and it is far too stuffy at off road speeds. I minimise direct exposure.

The other issue is a fall. As you know, falling on gravel or sand, even at bicycle speeds you must lose half your skin. Road cyclists who do well over 30 kmh, damn if they fall they will have no skin left. off road you must expect falls. I may ride in shorts and t-shirt on road, but off road always full kit. and off road boots. A 200 kg+ bike landing and your foot, you wont bew alking away without a solid boot.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Bicylists generate a LOT of heat, especially uphill. It's like running. No one wears long shirt and long pants while running. I usually go shirtless. I tan well enough and sun is weak enough after September that burning is not a problem. Living in Africa like you, it would be better to be born black, but you do the best you can with what you have, right?

When I fall to the side, it's usually due to stalling going uphill, so I just land on my feet. I did hit 48 mph going downhill once, and a road cyclist could have easily hit 60 mph (100 km/hr) on that paved road. Definitely don't want to fall at those speeds. In the forests, I keep my speed to under 20 mph due to the possibility of a squirrel running into the spokes like they stupidly do sometimes. A human can sprint almost 20 mph, so falling at that speed is like falling while sprinting, which I did frequently as a boy wearing shorts. Never wore a helmet while playing as a boy, don't wear one while bicycling, just a fur felt cowboy hat. I actually fall more often backpacking than bicycling. That fur felt hat has saved me a couple times from cutting my head on falls while backpacking.

The big danger is being hit by a motor vehicle, not falling on my own. I try to stick to dirt roads partly to avoid motor vehicles, though mainly because it is so much quieter and closer to nature.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

I farkin hate those oven dodger, red sea pedestrian, shylock, hook nosed vampire Facebook kikes :evil: :evil: :x :x

I have always been using an app called Friends Locator for my bike trips. It allows me to invite some mates to track my progress, see what route I'm on via your phone's GPS for safety reasons. Like if it goes off line some darkie stole my phone, which means the farker shot me. Or of if it doesn't move, I had a crash or a break down. It saves me having to text routes and normal check ins.

I got a new phone and put on Friends Locator. Now it requires a FaceJew login. No matter what you try it takes you to the Facejew create a profile page. I don't want a facejew account. I hate that thing. I would rather cut off my own foreskin than stick my dick in there for the kikes to chop it off. Why must these bloodsucking bandits make shekels to take all my private info and each time I login in to use something that is not facebook?

Ive tried a few different ones, but Friends Locator worked best as it is live. At most it tracks where you were within the past 30 minutes, If you have GPS turned on.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Summer holidays are great. Spending this first 2 weeks at home around the pool in temperatures in the mid to upper 30s. And now late afternoon sundowners before starting a braai

Next 2 weeks will be the bike trip which will work off all the christmas eating and drinking.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Had a couple of cold Hefeweizens, now mix up some pina coladas with fresh mango on the side and biltong and watch the sunset on another day in africa. What should I braai tonight? T-bone steaks or lamp chops? We are suffering here. You americans must send us more aid money. I need a new floating bar for the pool. :mrgreen:
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Ok okes, I am off tomorrow at sunrise on my bike expedition.

Will someone do me a favour; someone post stuff about darkies and jews at least once a day so that forum doesn't get too liberal :lol:

will post pics and ride report when I am back.
talkless
Freshman Poster

Post by talkless »

"Had a free weekend with kids at their mother's and planned my summer holiday bike trip." That was great to know! Bonding time with your family even for a short span of time is on one of the best things to do. Actually, I'm also planning a holiday trip with my daughters soon!