Rock, how is America, is it any different than before?

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Winston
Site Admin

Rock, how is America, is it any different than before?

Post by Winston »

Hi Rock,
You are in America now. How is it? What are you doing there?

Has anything changed from before?

I noticed a more depressed vibe last time, and a zombie like state among the people, and I also saw a lot of hitchhikers in Northern California in the upper part of the state.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

I'll chime in and give my opinion! "Zombie-like" is a good analogy, especially from the younger generation of people. I'm very afraid that technology is much to blame for a very steep decline in people skills. Folks under age 25 do most of their communicating either online or thru texting. Just watched a news story of how kids are spacing out in class because they are too busy pounding away at their phones DURING class!

God forbid if one of these younger kids has to actually interact with other individuals, it's almost like a deer in the headlights scenerio. So, social interaction is getting progressivley worse as time goes on. Everybody walks around behaving like they are drones.

I've fortunate to have done a lot of traveling in my life. I think the poorer countries with their lack of technology have the upper hand because they have to revert back to the good old fashioned way of looking a person in the eye and having a conversation. It's certainly a lost art here in the States.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Ditto on the zombie analogy. I've taught American college kids for the last few years. Class is like looking out over rows of houses with none of them having any lights on. Nobody's home. Whatever definition you want to give to the term "soul" -- a deep desire to learn about life and know truth, a determination to make the world a better place for one's self and others, whatever definition you want to come up with -- these kids don't have it. There's no there there.

With a huge percentage of the population drugged to a fare-thee-well, legally or illegally, I've thought of this as Zombie Nation for quite a while. You just don't expect to run into anyone with admirable human qualities now. It's a rare and unexpected pleasure when you do.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

gsjackson wrote:Ditto on the zombie analogy. I've taught American college kids for the last few years. Class is like looking out over rows of houses with none of them having any lights on. Nobody's home. Whatever definition you want to give to the term "soul" -- a deep desire to learn about life and know truth, a determination to make the world a better place for one's self and others, whatever definition you want to come up with -- these kids don't have it. There's no there there.

With a huge percentage of the population drugged to a fare-thee-well, legally or illegally, I've thought of this as Zombie Nation for quite a while. You just don't expect to run into anyone with admirable human qualities now. It's a rare and unexpected pleasure when you do.
Jesus. And I thought that MY observations on America were bleak...
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Only 7% percent of Americans socialize with their neighbors, according to a recent report. A lot of Americans don't even know who their neighbors are! We certainly are a "nation of strangers."

No wonder why there are so many lonely people in the US.
adam917
Freshman Poster

Post by adam917 »

pete98146 wrote:I'll chime in and give my opinion! "Zombie-like" is a good analogy, especially from the younger generation of people. I'm very afraid that technology is much to blame for a very steep decline in people skills. Folks under age 25 do most of their communicating either online or thru texting. Just watched a news story of how kids are spacing out in class because they are too busy pounding away at their phones DURING class!

God forbid if one of these younger kids has to actually interact with other individuals, it's almost like a deer in the headlights scenerio. So, social interaction is getting progressivley worse as time goes on. Everybody walks around behaving like they are drones.

I've fortunate to have done a lot of traveling in my life. I think the poorer countries with their lack of technology have the upper hand because they have to revert back to the good old fashioned way of looking a person in the eye and having a conversation. It's certainly a lost art here in the States.
How do you know at least some of them aren't taking notes with their phones? It's a lot faster of a way to do it that way than writing it down.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

adam917 wrote:
pete98146 wrote:I'll chime in and give my opinion! "Zombie-like" is a good analogy, especially from the younger generation of people. I'm very afraid that technology is much to blame for a very steep decline in people skills. Folks under age 25 do most of their communicating either online or thru texting. Just watched a news story of how kids are spacing out in class because they are too busy pounding away at their phones DURING class!

How do you know at least some of them aren't taking notes with their phones? It's a lot faster of a way to do it that way than writing it down.
They were interviewing the students who flat out admitted that they were texting frequently in class. If I were a teacher, I'd put a box at the front door and demand that the kids drop off their phones prior to sitting down, although that might mean that half the the kids go into cardiac arrest. Nooo phone cannnnooootttt ffffunnnccctiiiooonnn!!!!!
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Just remember a few facts about America..highest rates of mental illness amongst developed countries. Things really start to fall into place when you consider that.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Rock, how is America, is it any different than before?

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Hi Rock,
You are in America now. How is it? What are you doing there?

Has anything changed from before?

I noticed a more depressed vibe last time, and a zombie like state among the people, and I also saw a lot of hitchhikers in Northern California in the upper part of the state.
Sorry, but I'm not going to join this US sucks even more each visit party. I visit the States once or twice a year. As a visitor, the general feeling can vary tremendously depending on the quality of your friends and their circles. My friends in CA and their friends and families are great in every way. Of course, its nice to see my parents too. And I love summer in the Midwest.

I spent a few days on Venice Beach, a few more out in Sun City, Riverside County (in a new subdivision with big lake, pool, track, etc) at my friend's place, and about 3 weeks in rural Illinois where my parents live. When I was in CA, I also visited Santa Monica Pier / 3rd St. Promenade area, Malibu Beach, Farmers Market, and Westwood. I didn't notice any zombies. Just regular people going about their business just like me.

I'm not denying that life in the US sucks for many frustrated and overworked guys. But it can be still be a lot of fun for fairly short visits if you don't mind being socially independent or have an established circle of cool friends. Its a wonderful break from Asia.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Rock wrote:
Winston wrote: But it can be still be a lot of fun for fairly short visits if you don't mind being socially independent or have an established circle of cool friends. Its a wonderful break from Asia.
That's the whole point, Rock. If you don't want to be socially independent and you don't have an existing established circle of cool friends, then the USA sucks big time.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

globetrotter wrote:
Rock wrote:
Winston wrote: But it can be still be a lot of fun for fairly short visits if you don't mind being socially independent or have an established circle of cool friends. Its a wonderful break from Asia.
That's the whole point, Rock. If you don't want to be socially independent and you don't have an existing established circle of cool friends, then the USA sucks big time.
I think 'the point' was my opinion as to whether America is any different than before. That's how the question is phrased anyway.

As a traveler who sometimes whisks through countries for just 2 or 3 days before moving on, I find it helps a lot to be socially independent when necessary.

Even when I visited Manila last year for a few days, nobody bent over backwards to be my friend or hang with me. I still relied on my own circle (in this case the gf), no different than anywhere else. In my case at least, it always takes time to meet decent people, even in the so-called friendly countries.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote: I spent a few days on Venice Beach, a few more out in Sun City, Riverside County (in a new subdivision with big lake, pool, track, etc) at my friend's place, and about 3 weeks in rural Illinois where my parents live. When I was in CA, I also visited Santa Monica Pier / 3rd St. Promenade area, Malibu Beach, Farmers Market, and Westwood. I didn't notice any zombies. Just regular people going about their business just like me.
Next time when you're in Riverside, let me know and I'll take you to Temecula valley. The quality of wines is not as good as Santa Barabra, but I know a few good ones. ;p
chileanueva
Freshman Poster

Post by chileanueva »

Life is unfair. There is nothing wrong with you unless you're a psychotic puppy dog killer or some kind of bloody perverted wanker.

Americans don't know their neighbors, they are unwilling to befriend anyone outside their social clique, and they are fake and flaky as hell.

The debt industry is crushing most Americans and foreclosures are on the rise. People spend like money won't run out.

Most American women are nut-cases. Foreign women are very attractive choice for wives these days.
"Stop talking. Just Do It." - ME

"Treat women like shit because they are lying, manipulating, cheating whores." - ME
jcris7
Freshman Poster

Post by jcris7 »

momopi wrote:
Rock wrote: I spent a few days on Venice Beach, a few more out in Sun City, Riverside County (in a new subdivision with big lake, pool, track, etc) at my friend's place, and about 3 weeks in rural Illinois where my parents live. When I was in CA, I also visited Santa Monica Pier / 3rd St. Promenade area, Malibu Beach, Farmers Market, and Westwood. I didn't notice any zombies. Just regular people going about their business just like me.
Next time when you're in Riverside, let me know and I'll take you to Temecula valley. The quality of wines is not as good as Santa Barabra, but I know a few good ones. ;p
Also, if either one of you are out in the Temecula area during the summer, come check out the Inland Valley Symphony (one of the symphony gigs I play in) when we do a summer concert in wine country this year!
"Women age like milk; Men age like wine." - Tom Leykis
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Looks like we should consider NA. Looks like a decent country ;-)

Life is not a choice:
"psychotic puppy dog killer or some kind of bloody perverted wanker."

+1 Rock
+1 Konrad double lol[/quote]