Keeping Maids

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Keeping Maids

Post by Yohan »

MrMan wrote: The problem is maids just disappearing. That's common in Indonesia.
The maid room is usually smaller, but it's got a place to sleep and store some of their belongings, usually.
It's about the same in Thailand. Not only with foreigners, Thai people in a good position will tell you the same. Maids often disappear and often with items which do not belong to them.

My Japanese friend - very reluctantly - accepted the suggestion from Thai friends to employ a maid during his assignment in Bangkok.
It's the custom they told them... The maid had good conditions, easy work, good pay, nice room etc. as the Japanese wife was not accustomed how to use a maid for working, she had really not much to do.

His Japanese wife noticed that every day some few items were missing, finally caught her stealing red handed.
They had to ask her to leave. Never a maid again... finished.

I know a nice Thai family, they also were looking for a maid and shop helper because of their 2 children and because both of them were working in the shop - all located in the same house. When she was starting to work, first day after lunchtime she was asking to go out for a few minutes to buy something in the convenience store nearby. - She never came back.

They found another one, who did a good work for about 9 months, after that she told them suddenly she has now a boyfriend, bye and left within the same minute. At least she said she is leaving...

Plenty of stories like that...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Kradmelder wrote: So i have gone to a white maid. It looks like it costs more but she brings her own appliances so no more broken vacuums and irons, i dont have to provide lunch, she brings her own chemicals, and no 13th cheque. Also far less breakages. You also help employ white people.
You dumbass..... Don't you know that even if you have a "white" maid preparing your food that you have likely already consumed her shit? Maids can be very passive aggressive and all those times you has an upset stomach or "the runs," she mixed in something special with your meals.

Typhoid Mary, a white woman, infected hundreds of people with the foods she often intentionally laced with her feces.

In the circles of the affluent, it is very well known that you have to employ a dedicated and formally trained cook, not a housekeeper who also cooks as in your case.

So you have very likely consumed the unthinkable :? For that, I hereby declare your new name to be KRUDMELDER....
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I rented a room in a house in a town outside of Jakarta when I was younger. There was this teenage maid the family hired. Some of the kids started working after middle school if they weren't going to high school. She was 15 or 16. She was scared of me. I'd come into the room and she'd leave. I don't know if she was just shy or scared. I even teased her a bit chasing her around acting like a zombie, hoping she'd laugh and loosen up.

One day I came home and the maid wasn't there. The owner of the house asked if I were missing money. The maid was counting money and they didn't know where she'd gotten so much. I had probably left my door unlocked when I went to the bathroom or something. I had an envelope. She probably got a couple of hundred from me. One maid stole a cheap cell phone and a cheap watch once. Other than that, I can't remember a maid ever stealing anything from me or my family. We've had lots of them.

There are thieves in Jakarta, but I don't think it's that bad compared to a lot of other places. Corruption in the government is a more stereotypical form of dishonesty in Indonesia.

I remember I went to Malaysia once and there was an Indian-looking man at a 7/11. This was my first time there, and I was unfamiliar with the currency. He gave me the wrong change. I think he held back 10 or 20 ringgit. I stood there counting my change to make sure, since I didn't know the currency. After he saw that, he gave me the rest of my change. It sure looked like he did it on purpose rather than by mistake. I should have made a scene. There was a line of customers. I didn't. I had my kids with me. I didn't shop at that 7-11 for the rest of that trip.

We've been good to our maids. I'd be more concerned about them not knowing basic sanitation than trying to spit in our stuff. For example, if the maid touched raw chicken, used the sink, didn't wash the knob, and touched it again before touching a sandwich, that's a more likely source of sickness. Eating out correlates more with sickness than eating the maid's food in my experience. I've got sick at Wendy's at the Pondok Indah mall twice. That place was probably more dangerous than a street vendor. If your maid is going to eat from the same food, she probably won't try to make you sick with it.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

MrMan wrote:In Indonesia, it is common for middle class people to have maids. Indonesia exports maids around the world.

But it's hard to keep a maid in Indonesia. When my kids were small, two of them, were 4 and 1, we were renting a huge house with tile floors that required a lot of mopping. The kids made a messes, and we'd go through maids really fast. One in her late teens just disappeared and left the gate open. I assume she wanted to leave while we weren't there. Another stole my really cheap cell phone and my really cheap watch and left after one night.

If they'd have told us they were leaving, we would have told them how we felt about it, but we'd have paid them for every day they work.

When my kids were older, we had a one year contract with a maid we got through an agency. She did really well for three months. My wife and I were both pleased with her. She cooked, cleaned, and was pretty good to the kids who couldn't really understand her.

She would talk to herself a bit. But we were overall happy with her work. She was widowed or divorced and her children were grown. We didn't owe her days off according to the contract, but we'd let her take a day or so off out of the house every month. After three months, she told us she thought we'd agreed to giving her a 20% raise every three months. In several years, I would have had a second job to pay her salary at that rate. The contract said 10% after a year. It was a holiday when we had the discussion, and we were going to let her visit relatives if we went out of town, but our kids got sick, so we asked her to stay and take a day off some other day. We went to visit someone who was sick, and left the kids at home. Our daughter called us and told us the maid wasn't around and the kids were hungry. I was upset for her leaving the kids. The oldest was a teen, though, but he doesn't cook anything. We got footage of her leaving the elevator with a big plastic bag. My wife said it was bigger than the bag she came in with. I don't know about that. She could have bought some stuff on her trips.

We contacted her relative, who said she hadn't come by. He suspected she might have run off with a man. My wife said it seemed like she was flirting with the guy who painted our walls.

Anyway, my wife thought she might have been to nice with this maid. She said a lot of the Chinese are strict and bossy with their maids and they stick around forever. Maybe if you are tough with the maids, that makes them 'know their place' and stick around. If you aren't strict with them, maybe they leave you. (This sounds almost like 'game'. :) ).

We are thinking about getting a maid, so I'm wondering about this.

It seems like a lot of guys here are in their home country thinking about living abroad. What about you guys who've had maids before. Does being strict with them help them to stick around rather than other strategies like paying above market, giving days off that other maids don't get, and just being nice to them?
We have always hired maids from our network- family, friends of family that are well known. We know their families, where they live and really, there is nowhere to run if they wanted to be thieves.
However, we always hire out maids as if they are actual human beings. Imagine that. Going to work for us is kind of like being in my wife;s boot camp. Even as live-in maids, its a poverty job. working for us is a ticket to other things, a gateway to escaping life as they know it. This is a very powerful assurance of keeping someone motivated.

Along that line, were are working to establish 12 full ticket college scholarships for exceptional young students who would labor in poverty without a miracle. We consider it part of stewardship.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Typhoid Mary, a white woman, infected hundreds of people with the foods she often intentionally laced with her feces.
Just a minor historical correction. It would have been her urine rather than her faeces, as the cyst was on her bladder. Also, at the time the authorities did not think she deliberately infected people, and if fact bent over backwards to think of her as another victim, as evidenced by the leniency by which she was treated. Buy yeah, you probably are right.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Cornfed wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Typhoid Mary, a white woman, infected hundreds of people with the foods she often intentionally laced with her feces.
Just a minor historical correction. It would have been her urine rather than her faeces, as the cyst was on her bladder. Also, at the time the authorities did not think she deliberately infected people, and if fact bent over backwards to think of her as another victim, as evidenced by the leniency by which she was treated. Buy yeah, you probably are right.
who lets maid cook for them? You hire a cook for that. A maid just cleans.

Obviously your presumption of CE being a house negro is not right, or he would know maids do not cook. Nannies may cook for the children but I never believed in a darkie looking after white kids. You hire a white nannie. He is probably more of the garden boy variety so has no clue what goes on in the baas house. In SA you do not have negro males working in the house. Just the garden, so we don't have house darkies. He is basically just another darkie with a chip on his shoulder against whitey, so is best ignored so he can run along to KFC.

As Outwest says, you also don't hire negress maids off the street. You get them via networks from people that had them for like 10 years and vet them through our security company. . I prefer not to hire any darkies. I don't want to see them on the property.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Kradmelder wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Obviously your presumption of CE being a house negro is not right, or he would know maids do not cook. Nannies may cook for the children but I never believed in a darkie looking after white kids. You hire a white nannie. He is probably more of the garden boy variety so has no clue what goes on in the baas house. In SA you do not have negro males working in the house. Just the garden, so we don't have house darkies. He is basically just another darkie with a chip on his shoulder against whitey, so is best ignored so he can run along to KFC.

As Outwest says, you also don't hire negress maids off the street. You get them via networks from people that had them for like 10 years and vet them through our security company. . I prefer not to hire any darkies. I don't want to see them on the property.
Still feeling insecure about one of your "betters" being black Krudmelder?

Maybe if you stop ingesting the specially-laced foodstuffs from your diet, it might make you less of a SH.TTY person :lol:
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Cornfed, can you hear the darkies singing down by the quarters?

It seems dem darkies sti be singin abou dem white folks

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

OutWest wrote:
MrMan wrote:In Indonesia, it is common for middle class people to have maids. Indonesia exports maids around the world.

But it's hard to keep a maid in Indonesia. When my kids were small, two of them, were 4 and 1, we were renting a huge house with tile floors that required a lot of mopping. The kids made a messes, and we'd go through maids really fast. One in her late teens just disappeared and left the gate open. I assume she wanted to leave while we weren't there. Another stole my really cheap cell phone and my really cheap watch and left after one night.

If they'd have told us they were leaving, we would have told them how we felt about it, but we'd have paid them for every day they work.

When my kids were older, we had a one year contract with a maid we got through an agency. She did really well for three months. My wife and I were both pleased with her. She cooked, cleaned, and was pretty good to the kids who couldn't really understand her.

She would talk to herself a bit. But we were overall happy with her work. She was widowed or divorced and her children were grown. We didn't owe her days off according to the contract, but we'd let her take a day or so off out of the house every month. After three months, she told us she thought we'd agreed to giving her a 20% raise every three months. In several years, I would have had a second job to pay her salary at that rate. The contract said 10% after a year. It was a holiday when we had the discussion, and we were going to let her visit relatives if we went out of town, but our kids got sick, so we asked her to stay and take a day off some other day. We went to visit someone who was sick, and left the kids at home. Our daughter called us and told us the maid wasn't around and the kids were hungry. I was upset for her leaving the kids. The oldest was a teen, though, but he doesn't cook anything. We got footage of her leaving the elevator with a big plastic bag. My wife said it was bigger than the bag she came in with. I don't know about that. She could have bought some stuff on her trips.

We contacted her relative, who said she hadn't come by. He suspected she might have run off with a man. My wife said it seemed like she was flirting with the guy who painted our walls.

Anyway, my wife thought she might have been to nice with this maid. She said a lot of the Chinese are strict and bossy with their maids and they stick around forever. Maybe if you are tough with the maids, that makes them 'know their place' and stick around. If you aren't strict with them, maybe they leave you. (This sounds almost like 'game'. :) ).

We are thinking about getting a maid, so I'm wondering about this.

It seems like a lot of guys here are in their home country thinking about living abroad. What about you guys who've had maids before. Does being strict with them help them to stick around rather than other strategies like paying above market, giving days off that other maids don't get, and just being nice to them?
We have always hired maids from our network- family, friends of family that are well known. We know their families, where they live and really, there is nowhere to run if they wanted to be thieves.
However, we always hire out maids as if they are actual human beings. Imagine that. Going to work for us is kind of like being in my wife;s boot camp. Even as live-in maids, its a poverty job. working for us is a ticket to other things, a gateway to escaping life as they know it. This is a very powerful assurance of keeping someone motivated.

Along that line, were are working to establish 12 full ticket college scholarships for exceptional young students who would labor in poverty without a miracle. We consider it part of stewardship.
A much needed and extremely admirable counterpoint to most of the thoughts expressed in this thread. Bravo.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

What about you guys who've had maids before. Does being strict with them help them to stick around rather than other strategies like paying above market, giving days off that other maids don't get, and just being nice to them?
I'm quoting myself here. What I was saying is that these nice strategies didn't seem to work.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

For an example of how Krudmelder's made laces his foodstuffs with "unspeakables" simply because he is such a crappy person (no pun intended), he is how it is done......

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fgub5zkBVk[/youtube]

Ever wonder how that piece of corn ended up between your teeth after dessert Krud?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

So the moral of the story is "Don't hire niggers".
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote:So the moral of the story is "Don't hire niggers".
That's ironic coming from someone who has never and will never be in a position to "hire" anyone.

Are you even employed yourself?

Lack of employment often gives rise to your brand of anger (apart from your clearly low IQ).

:lol:
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

MrMan wrote:
What about you guys who've had maids before. Does being strict with them help them to stick around rather than other strategies like paying above market, giving days off that other maids don't get, and just being nice to them?
I'm quoting myself here. What I was saying is that these nice strategies didn't seem to work.
You dont know? Nice as a strategy rarely works for anything. Guards can be NICE to a condemned man. If you dont know how to hire and keep a good maid, all the niceness in the world will not help.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

OutWest wrote:
MrMan wrote:
You dont know? Nice as a strategy rarely works for anything. Guards can be NICE to a condemned man. If you dont know how to hire and keep a good maid, all the niceness in the world will not help.
That especially applies to darkies. Give them a finger and they take your arm. Firm but fair works best with rigid rules and minimal fraternisation. What works best is don't hire them at all.

What i do with work camps is probabation where one theft or absentee or drunk incident they are fired on the spot. For 2 months only part pay with the rest in an account for their family. It results in an initial high turnover, especially amongst darkies from cattle culture tribes averse to work. After you sort out the troublemakers it then settles into a group of respectful workers.
Also no women in the camp. They have one night off to go to town and get robbed by whores but because i never give them thr whole salary, their wives and kids at home still have money for food.

And seperate camps, eating and ablution facilities of course.