Buying Underwear and Shoes in SE Asia

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Buying Underwear and Shoes in SE Asia

Post by MrMan »

Where I live, it is hard to find underwear that I'm used to and fress shoes that fit. I may have opportunities to shop in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand over the course of the next month.

I wear briefs. I have shopped for underwear in Indonesia in the past. It was hard to find something familiar. The elastic was different from what I was used to. The waist band was too big. The elastic on the legs was weird, and then there was trying to get the right size. I prefer Hanes or Fruit of the Loom style, and couldn't find that. I remember back about 10 years ago, I found a pair of underwear in a high end store that looked perfect. But it was 100,000 rupiah for one pair, I think. That was 10 or years ago when that was about $10, and I'd guess that was about $15 if it were today's money. Stuff like that was usually cheap in Indonesia, too.

I know of a market in Jakarta that large sized shoes when I went there, but it may be really hard to get out there in the traffic. In general, it is hard to find shoes over 9 and 1/2 or 10 in Jakarta.

I have seen those size shoes in Malaysia, but didn't have the ringgit on me or the time before my flight to see if there were any that were suitable. Does Malaysia have American-style briefs?

How about Thailand? Do they have shoes over size 10 or American-sized briefs.

I think I have plenty of socks for a while, but in Indonesia, it was always hard to find socks I liked. Dress socks had one elastic band at the top, not the kind that hug your leg like I'm used to. I was able to find those for sale on the side of the road from a vendor, probably selling something from a factory that exported.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Re: Buying Underwear and Shoes in SE Asia

Post by onethousandknives »

In Vietnam I got dirt cheap sneakers. I paid 80,000 VND ($3.50) for cheap shoes that a lot of locals wear. 100,000 ($5) for some police shoes that were a neat combo of jungle boots and Converses. Then some other sneakers that were sort of like vans and I think.... 130,000, so $6-7. I paid pretty near local price, though. My GF's mom bought the 80K shoes for 70K, so like $.40-50 difference, nothing to complain about. Only thing was in Vietnam, shoes seemed to max out at size 43. Size 43 is 9 or 10 in USA, depending on the manufacturer. So I fit well into some 43 shoes, but not well into others. Finding size 44 and 45 might be a bit tough. My roommate in Taiwan paid like $15 or something for some flip flops in Vietnam, partially from getting ripped off, and partially because he had size 12 shoes, though a pair of size 12 flip flops in Taiwan would only be $1-5 depending on the style.

Probably not too helpful, but my experience.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

I wear fruit of the loom, its big in India :) . In Thailand, you get every size and shape...

some farangs get a good ego boost by saying..ohh in Asia...they do not have my size of clothes.

Indians, Arabs are of almost same size as white and they shop all over....Go to any mall emporium, terminal 21 you will get any size and shape....In philippines as well...Its there...You have to got to big mall like MOA and look around a bit.

I always buy shoes in Philippines because they make the best shoes in Marikina, Manila and even export it, they have my size of 10

Do shopping in South East Asia NOT CHINA...China is sneaky and expensive..One would think China would be cheap but they include high VAT and tax..but if you buy the same product in Thailand or Philippines ...its cheaper.

China has crafted export oriented policy, so anything local would be expensive than buying the same product abroad.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

starchild5 wrote:I wear fruit of the loom, its big in India :) .
Didn't you post something about your belief that underwear is demonic, something about the flow of chakra energy through the groin area or something like that? Something about just wearing a cotton cloth? Was that your idea for women, only?
In Thailand, you get every size and shape...
some farangs get a good ego boost by saying..ohh in Asia...they do not have my size of clothes.
Ego boost? We are talking about shoes and clothes, not condoms.

I'm glad to know they have a lot of different sizes in Thailand. I remember when I was living in Indonesia and visited Thailand, I noticed the people tended to be taller than Indonesians. There are also a lot of Indians in KL, Malaysia, and I saw some larger sized shoes when I went there last time, but didn't have a chance to buy them.
I always buy shoes in Philippines because they make the best shoes in Marikina, Manila and even export it, they have my size of 10
Size 10, US, is 43 and 1/2 according to a chart I've got on another window. That's just a little small. There were 43s in Jakarta the last I checked. But 44s and 45s were rare. How high do the sizes go in Thailand? Which is better for shoe prices, Thailand or Malaysia? I'd hate to buy them in Thailand only to find a better deal in Malaysia afterwards. If I don't price shop, though, it may not be a problem.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

MrMan wrote: Size 10, US, is 43 and 1/2 according to a chart I've got on another window. That's just a little small. There were 43s in Jakarta the last I checked. But 44s and 45s were rare. How high do the sizes go in Thailand? Which is better for shoe prices, Thailand or Malaysia? I'd hate to buy them in Thailand only to find a better deal in Malaysia afterwards. If I don't price shop, though, it may not be a problem.
Try some 43s on and just see how they fit. 43 in one company can be different from the other, often by about 1cm or more shoe space.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

If you're coming to China, make sure to buy at least two pairs of sneakers and two pairs of dress shoes because anything above size 9.5s are difficult to find here. I'm Korean but I'm taller, bulkier, fatter and have bigger feet than most of the Chinese men in China.

Also, buy a lot of deodorant as it can be difficult to find your brand in most of China.

Things you take for granted in the States can be a real headache for you in parts of Asia.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

I got 500 rupee running shoes from India.
Thailand also has plenty of cheap options. Just go to any street market or department store.

For underwear, I get lots of them in the US. Fruit of the Loom / Hanes at Target. :wink: