Why do Western couples call the wife "the boss"?

Discuss dating, relationships and foreign women.
Winston
Site Admin

Why do Western couples call the wife "the boss"?

Post by Winston »

When I worked in promotions for Owens Corning at trade shows, I noticed that while talking to couples, the man would often point to his wife and say "She's the boss". I heard this a lot in Washington state, but I don't know if men commonly do that in other states as well.

What I was wondering is, when did wives become "the boss" in Western society? And what logic is it based on?

I thought feminism was about equality, but here it's clearly about female dominance. How do they get away with such inequality and injustice?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Did anyone else see that disturbing episode of Home Improvement?

Now, I have no problem with theoretical feminism that says that women should be equal to men. But the feminism that is applied in America is mostly a front for male bashing, female domination, and an excuse for women getting away with anything they want. This type of modern feminism is rife with double standards, exemplified in the bulk of US mass media. Anyone who’s not brainwashed can see that US feminism is NOT about equality, but about DOMINANCE of hateful females.

One example is the TV sitcom Home Improvement. In it, Tim Allen is always set straight by his wife Jill in each episode and every episode ends with him admitting that Jill was right and that men ought to listen and obey their wives, which is the moral of the sitcom series. It’s as if the whole sitcom TV series is preaching some twisted form of new morality of right and wrong principles that men need to be emasculated and submit to female dominance. It’s a very one-sided principle that teaches that men are ALWAYS wrong when they argue with women. Ick. I’d rather get my moral lessons from the old Aesop’s Fables, which are far more wholesome and do not degrade a whole gender over the other, than feminist mass media sitcoms. There’s no way they’re brainwashing me with such twisted values, for I, Winston Wu, am immune to brainwashing!

The most horrible example of this that I saw in Home Improvement was in the episode where Jill demanded that Tim get a vasectomy (have his genitals surgically altered so as not to produce any fertile sperm during intercourse) done so that they could enjoy a normal sex life without the risk of Jill getting pregnant again. At first, Tim resisted, lamenting his loss of “manhood� from such an operation, and even became the butt of jokes from others about it. But as in every episode, he eventually gave in at the end and agreed to have the operation.

In real life, a real man wouldn’t have given in like that. But the wimpy emasculated feminist puppet Tim Allen character did. Somehow, the scriptwriters of the show were insinuating that men need to obey every wish of their woman, even if it means getting a vasectomy against their wishes!!!!! So in other words, a man’s sexual organs are owned by his woman too! I can’t believe that this episode didn’t cause an outrage. If there were a Men’s Rights Movement, I’m sure it would have though.

In any case, if that episode is a sign of the “wave of the future� in America, then I’m outta here!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a strong and vehement response from my list:

"Excellent article Winston! Feminism has infultrated so many facets of modern life it often seems that there's just no escape from it. You might want to note that it's not just present in American sit coms like Home Improvement and Designing Women, but on talk shows like Oprah Winfrey, Bill O'Reilly, Hanity and Combs, etc. Oprah Winfrey did a show about battered women ( As if men never get battered by their wives, and if they do they probably deserved it), and Bill O'Reilley bellyached about women being stalked ( As if the same thing never happens to men, and if it does, who cares---after all, they're just men!). The problem is presen in our educational institutions from elementery school up through college ( I'm sure you heard about the seven year old boy being disceplined for kissing a classmate, and the college student being expelled for "sexual harassment" for doing nothing more than carrying a druken women up to bed so she could sleep it off----very bizzar actions on the part of the college!) The problem is present in the American legal system. Women almost never get arrested for crimes they committ. A man can't spit on the sidewalk without getting clubbed over the head by a cop. A man is never taken seriously by the police when he makes a complaint against a woman, they will always give her the benefit of the doubt. But all a woman needs to do is snap her fingers and the police will jump for her like they're her trained dogs! Women are always awarded the family home, car, bank account children, alimony and child support when there is a divorce, and she is given free reign to use the "child support" money any way she pleases---she has complete, uncontrolled discretion. Since "family courts" don't require her to account for how this money was spent, most women take full advantage of this loophole with impunity. "Family courts" see divorced fathers as nothing more than a money source without a protector whoes pockets can be picked with impunity. She can obstruct court ordered visitation with impunity, but he goes to jail if he withholds child support---even if the money is not being spent directly on the children. Women can get any law passed regardless of how mich it infringes on men ( IMBRA is a prime example of feminist hypocrisy and double standards. Feminists scream bloody murder when any law is passed that restricts their right to choose. Such as the "right" of a woman to have an abortion any time it suits her, but they aggressively lobby for laws like IMBRA which restrict the rights of American men to date and marry foreign women) A woman can cop out if she doesn't want to be a mother, but a man can't cop out if he doesn't want to be a father. Both partners are given a choice BEFORE conception, but only one partner is given a choice AFTER conception! And let's not even talk about employment. A women no longer has to be qualified for a job. She just has to have an attitude and a chip on her shoulder and know the right lawyer to contact in case the job is given to a man. Women have been given free reign to sue companies for "discrimination" if they're not hired for jobs they want. And this so-called "discrimination" just has to be CLAIMED or ALLEGED, it never has to be proven. The courts just seem to always blindly jump on her bandwaggon and go along for the ride with her. Once a woman is hired for a job she is almost never held to the same strict standards as a man. She can get away with loafing and goofing off all she wants to because the company knows that if they fire her she will inevitably sue and inevitably win since American "courts" are predisposed to side with women whether they are plaintiffs or defendants. ( It's interesting to note that similar complaints of discrimination and sexual harassment that are made by men are almost always dismissed RIGHT AWAY by the "courts". It's as if the "courts" are saying: "Just get out of here. You're just men. Why should your complaints matter. You just fight all the wars and pay all the taxes. We only like to hear women whine. And besides, you don't have the political influence women have and therefore you can't do us any harm so why should we care about you?"). Anyway, I didn't mean to get so longwinded. E-mail me back a response. I'm curious about what you think."
FuzzX
Freshman Poster

Post by FuzzX »

If you lived here in Canada you'd understand. Have a look for these shows on youtube and you'll see real life examples of 'the boss' at work:

Rich Bride Poor Bride
Till Debt Do Us Part
Party Mamas
Trading Spaces
Newly Wed Nearly Dead
Wedding SOS

http://www.slice.ca/

I love this channel... watch it everyday. There is no better reality TV depiction of the Bossy North American woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHh9ywmo5AE <-- I'm sure you all know THE GOD WARRIOR... nobody questions that SHE IS THE BOSS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrkuTTI ... re=related <-- Does anyone disagree this woman is NOT the boss?
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

I'll even say "let me check with the boss", when referring to my wife, but we both know it's in jest. It's more my way of showing a degree of respect for her, that her opinion does count to me, and that we make decisions jointly. I'm no tyrant, but when the shit hits the fan, I definitely put my foot down and override her. To be honest, I think women do respect a man who does that, even though they'll bitch and moan about it.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

So you're using comments from random morons who parrot sitcoms and pop culture to draw a conclusion?

Let me tell you what..Home Improvement is hilarious because it's a total 90's mockery of U.S. family values. Think about it. Tim Allen has probably scored more tale than that ugly sitcom wife and America's expectations combined.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

My wife is anything but feminist and we both understand the irony when I say it. It is a mutual understanding between us that we are mocking the usage here in the US, knowing full well that neither of us believe it.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I think it shows capitulation to the female if even in partial jest. In non-western countries, this would never occur in a normal marriage. In fact, if you referred to the wife as the boss, she would wonder what kind of a dolt she married.
dano
Freshman Poster

Post by dano »

[quote
One example is the TV sitcom Home Improvement. In it, Tim Allen is always set straight by his wife Jill in each episode and every episode ends with him admitting that Jill was right and that men ought to listen and obey their wives, which is the moral of the sitcom series. It’s as if the whole sitcom TV series is preaching some twisted form of new morality of right and wrong principles that men need to be emasculated and submit to female dominance. It’s a very one-sided principle that teaches that men are ALWAYS wrong when they argue with women. Ick. I’d rather get my moral lessons from the old Aesop’s Fables, which are far more wholesome and do not degrade a whole gender over the other, than feminist mass media sitcoms. There’s no way they’re brainwashing me with such twisted values, for I, Winston Wu, am immune to brainwashing![/quote]

The central message of most sitcoms is that men are happiest when they are submissive to women. The truth is men that are submissive to women are easier for society to control. They don't form unions and go on strike and they don't overthrough governments. Submissive men are just more cost effective. Thats why the media is constantly trying to convince us that women in positions of authority is normal when in reality it isn't. Throughout thousands of years of history men made most of the decisions and the survival of everyone depended on men, not women.