Thinking of going back to school

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Thinking of going back to school

Post by chanta76 »

I been working in real estate as a manager and investor. I'm not rich doing it but OK. I'm in my 40's now and have some money saved up and looking for a long term plan . Definitely one of them is to move overseas. Money and work is the issue. One choice is go back to school and get a graduate degree in TESOL or try computer through a trade school.

I think the graduate program in TESOL maybe my best bet. I be in my mid to late 40's if I finish school .

With computers maybe find work online. I have money saved up from working in real estate but it's not enough to retire completely. I figure I would need to keep working if I do move overseas. Just FYI I am still married and have a family to take care so income is more important. If I was single I think I would of gone overseas already.
snede
Freshman Poster

Re: Thinking of going back to school

Post by snede »

Why go back to school for a TESOL certification? There are online classes that are readily available.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Snede, he means a graduate degree in TESOL, which is what I am doing now.

Chanta, if money is the main concern, then you would have to go to Saudia Arabia or one of the Middle Eastern countries that provide a high salary, tax free, to teachers.

Otherwise, you won't be making enough to support a whole family, imo.

Of course, your real estate investments mean that you do have some money, so why don't you open a school instead? How about in Korea?
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

The programming/software engineering ship has probably sailed by now if you're in your 40s.

You said you have family - that obviously complicates things. Do you have kids? That will make going to live abroad a lot more difficult.

Best bet IMO would be to do whatever you can to increase your income and save as much as possible in the next 10 years. Then make it a goal to have enough money saved to be able to move abroad by age, say, 53. Maybe you could supplement your savings with some teaching.

What about acquiring some rental properties? I know a guy who is retired in Peru living only off the income he gets from his two paid-off rental properties here in the US (a condo and a small single family home). He gets something like $2000/month which goes a really long way in most of South America.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

I actually heard stories of expats who married korean woman opening thier own hagwon cause they can make more money that way instead of working for one.

I know one other guy who is finishing up his graduate degree in tesol and yes he is married with a child. I think his long term plan is to move to asia.

For me i already have a degree in information system but ended up working in real estate. Good news is i manage some rental properties i own but the income is too small if i want to relocate to let say south korea or even japan. Maybe poorer asian country it might work.

Still i feel like i should have a skill to fall back on .

But i do agree build up on what i have.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

CannedHam wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 7:42 am
The programming/software engineering ship has probably sailed by now if you're in your 40s.

You think so? I was looking into data scientist program.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

> The programming/software engineering ship has probably sailed by now if you're in your 40s.

Yup that happened to me - this site is full of stories about my disastrous attempt to work in IT beyond the age of 40.

I still code though. Last year I taught IT classes and I've also got into embedded device programming.

My best investment was my CELTA. It's had a 1360% return on investment so far.

Actually I could have taught with just my cheap ass online TEFL. But the CELTA fully prepped me for being parachuted into a class of 50 students. I still plan lessons using the CELTA method, and they're pretty successful.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

xiongmao wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 1:40 am
Yup that happened to me - this site is full of stories about my disastrous attempt to work in IT beyond the age of 40.
It seems to be a worldwide thing. A few years ago I was working with an older guy who used to work in IT. When his friend's company went under he tried to get a job with the big companies. A chick he knew that worked in HR pointed out that he was wasting his time. The directive was "If they are over 25 don't hire them and if they are over 40 get rid of them". Theoretical government regulations against age discrimination are worthless.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yup thank goodness I've settled into teaching. I guess my only worry then is that ESL gets harder once you hit your mid-50's. But I guess I might be able to go on one of those special schemes for academics. Or I could just do what a lot of old guys do - stay in the same school for years and years.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

xiongmao wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 1:22 am
Yup thank goodness I've settled into teaching. I guess my only worry then is that ESL gets harder once you hit your mid-50's. But I guess I might be able to go on one of those special schemes for academics. Or I could just do what a lot of old guys do - stay in the same school for years and years.
So it doesn't occur to you that you are, you know, screwed?
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 3:50 am
xiongmao wrote:
Says the guy that does nothing and has no motivation ever
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

HouseMD wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 5:08 am
Cornfed wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 3:50 am
xiongmao wrote:
Says the guy that does nothing and has no motivation ever
Not everybody can be the House you know, life is just obstacles to work over. Today I think with these obstacles you are better off attempting to go around them and opt out. It appears to me the farther you go up this corporate structure the slimmier it becomes.

Welcome to COMMUNISM!
Time to Hide!