An Unbeatable Challenge to Christians

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Winston
Site Admin

An Unbeatable Challenge to Christians

Post by Winston »

I issued the same Unbeatable Challenge to Christians back in 1997 that Darryl Sloan did below. See my written version here:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/Debunk ... Page21.htm

(warning: graphic)

Darryl makes fun of a Gospel tract here.

Darryl explains the ridiculousness of the hell doctrine used by Christians to convert others.

Some videos by Darryl about dealing with overbearing Christians:

Darryl explains why God cannot love everybody. (warning: graphic)

Last edited by Winston on November 2nd, 2011, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Have Bible prophecies been fulfilled between the Old & New Testaments? Are "end times" prophecies being fulfilled in the present day? Is this the Ace up the Christian's sleeve that proves his religion true against any possible counter-argument?

A deeper look at Christianity, beyond all the religious trappings. When you look past the indoctrination, the fearmongering, the herd-conformity, the sanctimonious platitudes, is there something real at the core? My answer may surprise you.

When you attempt to define "God" (or the Source, the Infinite, the Transcendent), take care that you don't attach false limitations onto such a vast concept. It's very easy to do this without realising it; I've done it myself.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Winston, listening to this guy blabbering on, unable to get to the point, is indeed an unbeatable challenge.

I am an atheist and I am currently reading the Bible and loving it. The reason I love it is that the Bible is so completely politically incorrect. Yes God loves killing in the Old Testament. In a way, I find this refreshing. There are cultures like Sodom and Gomorrah that deserve to be wiped out. Modern Western culture deserves the same fate. If I were God, I would obliterate Western culture. And the only way to do that is to wipe out its inhabitants.

Those who recognize that modern liberal culture is evil should stop attacking religion. It makes no difference whether or not a religion is true. What matters is that religion is an alternative to modern liberal culture and any such alternative should be defended.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

He is not blabbering. Every point he makes is highly intelligent, logical, well thought out, and rational. He is one of the smartest guys on YouTube.

fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Winston wrote:He is not blabbering. Every point he makes is highly intelligent, logical, well thought out, and rational. He is one of the smartest guys on YouTube.
I don't know how intelligent he is, but he certainly has no respect for his listener's time, with his long pauses and repetition. You have posted 11 of his videos, averaging 10 minutes each, totalling almost 2 hours of talking. Does it really take this long to make a point?

I can't tolerate the way he talks, but I jumped to the middle of the first video and listened to his talk about Midian. The point he misses is that God doesn't just want the Jews to conquer Midian which requires killing the men, he wants the Jews to eliminate this culture which requires killing the women. And the only uncorrupted asset of a corrupt culture is its virgins because virgins will bond to their new husbands and adopt the new culture. So in fact God makes perfect sense here. I am up to Kings 1 in the Bible and I would be happy to discuss anything that I have read.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

Note that this addresses the American Evangelical flavor of Christianity, which is actually a minority in the world. It's just that the American Evangelicals are the loudest, best funded (except for the RCC), and the most in-your-face. They give Christians a bad name around the world, and they also are helping ruin our country by playing hardball in politics. Folks like Joel Osteen, who teach an American-made "Prosperity Gospel" are flat-out heretics, but are very popular in the US, because they make up stories about how "God wants you to be rich and successful", etc. That's pure Americanism. That's not what Christians are called to be. Not all Christians act like this, and as a matter of fact such aggressive, obnoxious behavior is antithetical to how Christians are supposed to act (i.e. in true humility). Note also: humility does NOT equal "doormat", "pushover", "milquetoast".
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well apparently, "the American Evangelical flavor of Christianity" is rampant in Ireland too, as Darryl is from Ireland and speaks of all the Christians around him, which he used to be one of. What he describes is exactly the way that "the American Evangelical flavor of Christianity" acts.

lavezzi
Junior Poster

Post by lavezzi »

Winston wrote:Well apparently, "the American Evangelical flavor of Christianity" is rampant in Ireland too, as Darryl is from Ireland and speaks of all the Christians around him, which he used to be one of. What he describes is exactly the way that "the American Evangelical flavor of Christianity" acts.
Ireland seems to be going through some kind of liberal fascist agenda in which the vast majority of people are now extreme liberal atheists. The evangelical flavor of Christianity you mention is prevalent in all countries where religion has decreased dramatically; in other words all the liberal ones. As the liberal mind-frame promotes atheism, the only way to get any liberals to have faith in religion is to re-paint it in a jubilant fashion. A good example of this is born-again christianity, which promises ever-lasting life all in exchange for simply believing that Jesus died for our sins so that we would have a choice, or something or other very confusing and illogical belief-system.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Christianity isn't a viable religion for the future, although it will be around for a long time due to the momentum. The basic problem is that it isn't true. The evangelicals who really believe in it are accurately representing the faith. But with science and new discoveries, even Christian ministers are losing their faith and leaving because in the seminaries they teach things that the general public doesn't hear. It is also historically rooted in the ancient idea of animal sacrifice which many, such as Thomas Jefferson, found absurd. The liberals try to whitewash the faith, which makes them loose most of the power of a fanatical belief system and doesn't make it worthwhile anymore for mass numbers of people to join. That is why the most rapidly growing sects will always be evangelical. The liberals will be more rational, but will die out as young people won't join.

In my opinion, Buddha got religion right and avoided all the pitfalls of the Abrahamic religions and ritualistic Hinduism, by making the human mind the point of concern, rather than objectifying and creating gods out there. Buddha rejected mysticism and speculation. Animal sacrifice was common in India during his time, and Buddha immediately rejected that too along with the caste system.

Since there is a viable alternative, there really isn't any reason anymore to torture one's mind trying to make Christianity make sense. I believe many men like Thomas Jefferson would have been Buddhists if they knew there was an alternative.

Atheist Ministers Struggle with Leading the Faithful

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/atheist-minist ... d=12004359
Last edited by MrPeabody on November 2nd, 2011, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

MrPeabody wrote:Christianity isn't a viable religion for the future, although it will be around for a long time due to the momentum. The basic problem is that it isn't true. The evangelicals who really believe in it are accurately representing the faith. But with science and new discoveries, even Christian ministers are losing their faith and leaving because in the seminaries they teach things that the general public doesn't hear. It is also historically rooted in the ancient idea of animal sacrifice which many, such as Thomas Jefferson, found upsurd. The liberals try to whitewash the faith, which makes them loose most of the power of a fanatical belief system and doesn't make it worthwhile anymore for mass numbers of people to join. That is why the most rapidly growing sects will always be evangelical. The liberals will be more rational, but will die out as young people won't join.

In my opinion, Buddha got religion right and avoided all the pitfalls of the Abrahamic religions and ritualistic Hinduism, by making the human mind the point of concern, rather than objectifying and creating gods out there. Buddha rejected mysticism and speculation. Animal sacrifice was common in India during his time, and Buddha immediately rejected that too along with the caste system.

Since there is a viable alternative, there really isn't any reason anymore to torture one's mind trying to make Christianity make sense. I believe many men like Thomas Jefferson would have been Buddhists if they knew there was an alternative.

Atheist Ministers Struggle with Leading the Faithful

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/atheist-minist ... d=12004359
Well Thomas Jefferson and the other founders considered themselves deists for the most part; it was a step in the right direction anyways...

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Deism
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

I have more respect for Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity than I do most of Protestant Christianity, particularly the born-again types.

Buddhism and Taoism, along with an updated mainstream understanding of fractals, is definitely a better fit for the future.

The funny thing is that some of the neikung practices I do can actually induce states similar to those experienced by the born-againers at their overemotional gatherings. I get spontaneous movements, spout verbal gibberish, experience bliss and a sense of divine grace, etc. The difference is that I experience such things without the "believe in Jesus or go to hell" brainwashing.

Such spontaneous experiences are in many respects a form of detoxing. Even when a sense of grace is experienced, it doesn't mean one is "saved" at that moment, you're already "saved" in the sense of being connected to the universe, just that your psyche is being cleared out, so you feel that connection more. It can almost be thought of as the psychological equivalent of taking a dump. :P