Alcohol...

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

Alcohol...

Post by Will N. Dowd »

I never really did drink much when I was younger, but have now stopped altogether. I don't like the taste, the cost is ridiculous, I hate the dizzy feeling I get from it, and I hate what it does to people. I don't like hanging out with people who drink, because their will always be so many questions about why i don't drink, and i always get pissed off and feel out of place, so I don't socialize that much because of it.

I notice that most white people spend most of their free time talking about drinking, getting drunk, getting girls drunk, buying girls drinks, how much they drank, when they can drink next, when they can go on holidays and get drunk, what they drank...etc

I find the whole alcohol industry and culture frankly appalling. It is such a negative impact on society. Just imagine how much better it would be without any booze. The WHO says alcohol kills a lot of people every year:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/rel ... index.html

I want to flee as soon as i am around people drinking, it just turns me off so much. I hate girls that drink also...
I am of course very rare because i don't drink, and i know a lot of people think I am a wimp because of it and look down on me or won't talk to me. I look at it that I am superior to them because i can control myself and don't need to take drugs like alcohol. I wish booze didn't exist...

Does anyone else feel the same way I do about this?

One of the reasons i want to go to Philippines is because so many girls profiles on DIA from there don't drink and I love that.

I would love to hear if their are others like me out there, even if they are few...
keius
Freshman Poster

Post by keius »

There's nothing wrong with not drinking, although alot of drinkers do tend to think of nondrinkers as wimps. There was a time in my youth i thought that way. I've been chugging vodka since i was 13.

Drinking for many people is simply a way of socializing. That's how it is for me nowadays. I do drink out, but only on special occasions. At home, i may have a single glass of wine/champagne once a week....or something simple like a low alcohol content malt drink.
I've replaced my alcohol habit with tea. I'm a heavy green tea drinker. The nice stuff i get shipped from China.
I have a real history of heavy drinking with an excessive level of alcohol tolerance. I cut down on it when i started spending 1/4 of my paycheck on boozing at restaurants/bars and supplies at home. Pretty much stopped entirely when i noticed my wife always edged away from me whenever i drank barely enough to get a buzz.

Do i miss it? A little. Like you said yourself, it's pretty much a requirement for getting social. It doesn't mean you have to drink alot. Go with something simple like a fruity cocktail drink and sip it all through the night. You won't even taste the alcohol.
And there's no reason to feel superior. Alot of people drink to relax and cut loose a bit...unwind. That's how i was. I had the willpower to quit when i needed to and wanted to.

Smoking is another issue similar to alcohol, but it's one that i've always detested. Have i smoked? yes. But only on special occasions. I'd say 2 times a year. Once again, it was for social reasons. Why do i hate smoking? Because of 2nd and 3rd hand smoking. Alcohol doesn't directly affect other people, so i've never had issues with it.

Reminds me, i haven't had a glass in 3 weeks. Feel like a bit of champagne right now :D
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

asians get drunk much quicker than most white people. i think black/africans as well. you should see how british pigs/scottish yobs drink during their club's football matches.. even the women. the 90 minutes is composed of nothing but guzzling, and running to the bathroom. okay it might be fosters or budweiser or something (most probably guinness), but still..

rh negative blood types can't stand alcohol either, although it might only be grain based alcohol because of gluten. i haven't drank since i was 18, i never developed the taste for it and never wanted to.

there was this funny clip showing how the tv illusion manipulates young minds. it was 50 cent rapping about how he's ALWAYS high and ALWAYS sipping ... < insert some extremely over-priced alcohol. then it cut to an interview he gave where he admitted he very rarely drinks, because it only takes him a few drops to get woozy, and he NEVER smokes and never did any drugs including marijuana. :lol:
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Alcohol...

Post by jamesbond »

Will N. Dowd wrote:I never really did drink much when I was younger, but have now stopped altogether. I don't like the taste, the cost is ridiculous, I hate the dizzy feeling I get from it, and I hate what it does to people. I don't like hanging out with people who drink, because their will always be so many questions about why i don't drink, and i always get pissed off and feel out of place, so I don't socialize that much because of it.

I notice that most white people spend most of their free time talking about drinking, getting drunk, getting girls drunk, buying girls drinks, how much they drank, when they can drink next, when they can go on holidays and get drunk, what they drank...etc

I find the whole alcohol industry and culture frankly appalling. It is such a negative impact on society. Just imagine how much better it would be without any booze.
I want to flee as soon as i am around people drinking, it just turns me off so much. I hate girls that drink also...

I am of course very rare because i don't drink, and i know a lot of people think I am a wimp because of it and look down on me or won't talk to me. I look at it that I am superior to them because i can control myself and don't need to take drugs like alcohol. I wish booze didn't exist...

One of the reasons i want to go to Philippines is because so many girls profiles on DIA from there don't drink and I love that.

I would love to hear if their are others like me out there, even if they are few...
I don't drink alcohol either and of course in America, if you don't drink alcohol people think you are a freak! For some reason, in the US, going out to bars and clubs on the weekends and getting drunk is considered "cool" and "awesome."

Of course young people in America are trying to "fit it" and be accepted by the "in crowd" so what better way to "fit in" than to get wasted on the weekends! I find that the biggest assholes in the US are people who are into the "bar scene" and who drink a lot!

I have often wondered why there are so many "party animals" in anglo countries. :shock:
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Post by FreeYourMind »

Americans are very inhibited, in large part because of the social and interpersonal atmosphere that we discuss here. Alcohol is the only way most Americans (at least White Americans) can loosen up and blow off some of the stress they accumulate.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

jamesbond wrote: I don't drink alcohol either and of course in America, if you don't drink alcohol people think you are a freak! For some reason, in the US, going out to bars and clubs on the weekends and getting drunk is considered "cool" and "awesome."

Of course young people in America are trying to "fit it" and be accepted by the "in crowd" so what better way to "fit in" than to get wasted on the weekends! I find that the biggest assholes in the US are people who are into the "bar scene" and who drink a lot!

I have often wondered why there are so many "party animals" in anglo countries. :shock:
If you think Americans like drinking, take a look at Eastern Europe! I went on a bus tour of Transylvania with some Hungarian teachers and some of them started drinking shots at 7 am and kept drinking basically on the hour throughout the day! I don't think they usually do this. I think they were just on "Hungarian vacation mode." I would imagine that the Ukrainians and the Russians also drink a lot.

There are so many Mormons in America that it might be easier to explain to Americans why you don't drink than to Eastern Europeans. Also, America is quite strict about its laws which restrict where you can have or buy alcohol. You can buy liquor in ordinary supermarkets in Hungary--it's not some "forbidden fruit": it's ubiquitous. When I took a Czech language course in Prague, you could buy beer at the snack shop in the main university building. No one gives a shit about these things in Europe, although Americans would be shocked.

Once I was at a cook out and decided to drink juice instead of beer and my Slovakian friend said, "What are you? A child?" and laughed. Drinking is part of the culture in most of Europe (although the people in some countries drink more than in others).

As far as non-white cultures that drink, I think Japanese men often drink heavily, as do Mongolian men.

Pálinka is the main Hungarian liquor. It's basically like vodka with a bit of flavor because it's made from fruit. I once went to a pálinka-tasting festival and I have never, ever had such a euphoric feeling while being drunk before. It was crazy. I rarely drink heavily, but when I do, I prefer to drink pálinka.
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

Will N. Dowd wrote:I never really did drink much when I was younger, but have now stopped altogether. I don't like the taste, the cost is ridiculous, I hate the dizzy feeling I get from it, and I hate what it does to people. I don't like hanging out with people who drink, because their will always be so many questions about why i don't drink, and i always get pissed off and feel out of place, so I don't socialize that much because of it.

I find the whole alcohol industry and culture frankly appalling. It is such a negative impact on society. Just imagine how much better it would be without any booze. The WHO says alcohol kills a lot of people every year:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/rel ... index.html

I feel the same way you do. Like you, I used to drink occasionally, but never to excess. Although I have to confess I've always had a bit of an odd relationship with booze in that I've found that sometimes I could have one drink and feel fine, and other times that same single drink (even beer!) would make me feel dizzy, woozy and anxious.
I suspect I might have a physical problem of some sort that might prevent me from processing alcohol properly. It might even be hereditary; my mother could never handle alcohol very well either.

But it's just as well I don't drink. My father and grandfather were alcoholics, and an uncle on my mother's side has always abused alcohol, although he never became a full-blown alky like my father did. In the final analysis, booze and heavy smoking ultimately killed him. Someone else posting to this thread noted how the Irish, Scots and English seem to be able to drink very heavily and not really feel it. I can confirm that is indeed true, being of Scots and Irish ancestry. Alcoholism is something that seems to afflict Celtic peoples to a disproportionate degree. With unfortunate results.

Like you, I find people think I'm a weirdo because I don't drink. Women who like to drink seem to think I'm less of a man because I don't drink. And I too, have encountered far, far too many people whose lives revolve around alcohol, and I can't stand to be around them, especially when they're drinking. But the fact that they would let their lives revolve around alcohol tells me they have nothing else going for them. And they have the nerve to think they're superior to intelligent men like you and me.

I too like the fact that women in the Philippines don't drink, even though the country and its culture seem to be somewhat shambolic.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

Oh guys. Drinking is awesome in moderation. U.S. has the WORST of a drinking culture that I've seen. In Europe, drinking is a social thing. People enjoy a glass of wine during family dinner, even kids get a few sips of wine - it's not considered criminal and I DO agree with that! When I was in 6th grade, we would buy beer near our school after classes and have fun sitting in the park drinking beer cracking jokes on the way home. LOVED IT! We never binge drinked, we never puked, but we had awesome time socializing, that's what matters!

Also keep in mind, living in Europe gives you more freedom of movement because YOU DON'T need your car! You can go anywhere without a car and if you need to go far, there is plenty of public transportation to go everywhere for cheap! That way you can stop by a local cafe, have a beer with a friend after work, have some sandwich, hop on a trolley or tram and get home quickly, safely and cheap!

I never drink a lot, growing up in Eastern Europe, I do appreciate company. That's how we did it when I was in high school - we would get together at someone's apartment when parents are not home for the night. We would cook some food, GIRLS (!) would make salads and serve the table (like dinner table), guys would prepare and shop for food and booze. We would eat, laugh, drink and then turn up the music with some good techno-dance beats and DANCE FOR HOURS!!! Just dance, no ass grinding, no weird looks... people just relax and dance in the apartment. Neighbors would get mad, but who cares :) There are the best memories I have in my lifetime. I do think heavy drinking is bad, but as I said keep in mind, Americans have this binge drinking-being cool mentality. Russian students stop drinking when they turn 21, they are done with it by that age. Americans, however, are like little kids start chugging beer and puking. Nasty!
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

@ have2fly

Drinking and socializing with friends makes for very good memories, i completely agree.

I'm in a college fraternity and i can attest to everything you mentioned. Before a party, people tell me how they're going to get "smacked" with alcohol. They know that they're going to be sick the morning after but they don't care.

Drinking is best in moderation, not idiots doing keg-stands for the sake of doing it
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

Ya, I used to love frat parties my freshman year, but now just remembering them makes me sick. I was never a member of any frat, but had many friends there, so I was on the list and could get in. Girls just get trashed and grind on you all night long. The worst is when you bring them home and they puke all over your apartment! CRAP, I hated that! Then I got smarter and would suggest that we go to HER place lol :) Worked out way better, but some did not want to go to their place. Well, whatever, frat parties are so similar - tons of pretty old kids by European standards chugging cheap beer until they puke. I never understood what is so fun about it, but there wasn't many other options in the university to party up.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I didn't start drinking until I was in the Navy, after turning 19. And even then it was somewhat limited to when overseas or hanging out in Tijuana. I come from a family of boozers so growing up I saw them drinking a lot and smoking, thus I felt less inclined to follow in their footsteps with either. However, now that I am older and understand what my limits regarding drinking Alcohol are, I enjoy doing it socially every once in a while. I don't like drinking at home so I only find myself drinking maybe once every couple of weeks perhaps. Occasionally I'll hit the town and get blitzed, that is maybe once every couple of months. Knowing what kind of alcohol is best for your body and how it affects you is key. Because different kinds will affect you in different ways.

For example, I never liked drinking beer. However in the Navy everyone drank beer and it was cheaper than liqueur so I drank that more often. Eventually I built up enough tolerance of the taste to drink it regularly without gagging. I can even taste a shitty beer from a good one. I personally don't really like drinking beer unless it's only for social reasons cause it makes me piss too much and if i drink more than 3 I have a higher percentage of getting a hang over. Also it takes more beers for me to get drunk which results in me getting a hang over to achieve a high level of drunken stupor that mixed drinks can give me with less ingestion of alcohol.

I can tolerate some wines but generally wine will give me a hang over also. I'm not a wine connoisseur and don't have time sampling different brands to find out which ones agree with me or not. All I know is that most will give me a headache if I drink too much. Also I have a hard time sleeping after drinking wine, it gives me insomnia for some reason. Again, I've also noticed I sometimes get a tingly feeling in my jaw as well when drinking some wines, maybe its a reaction to the sulfates, I'm not sure. So I only drink wine if its free but I wouldn't buy it myself for getting drunk or social calls.

My drink of choice is Vodka because it can mix with anything and doesn't give me a hang over even after drinking shit loads of it. I have built a high tolerance level to it now where I can function semi-coherent and not get sick. I can drink about 10 shots before starting to feel anything and then about another 15-20 before I am blitzed. it gives me a kind of hazy drunk where I am more sociable and the world is much slower.

I also occasionally drink Gin or Rum and they generally won't give me a hang over either. Basically the clear liquids will not give you a hangover, its the darker alcohols that are evil and you need to be careful with. I don't like the way they make me feel during my drunkenness as well as after so I don't drink them.

The one clear drink I don't like is tequila, but I'm not sure if it would give me a hangover like Whisky would if I drank a bunch of it cause I don't like the taste so haven't experimented with it.

Basically, I only like to get blitzed if I'm by myself bar hopping in girly bars or with a bunch of my guy friends. Other than that I don't bother cause its a waste of time. I do it mostly cause it loosens me up and I'm more social and willing to do things I normally wouldn't do sober. Unfortunately, about half the time I go bar hopping I either end up with no one or I have serious beer goggles so getting the one chick that is really hot can sometimes be elusive if you get too wasted...

Essentially drinking is okay if you can handle it and you know your boundaries. If you have an addictive personality then you probably want to steer clear of it. I don't have one and so I use it as a means to have fun occasionally and unwind.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

My initial exposure to alcohol was rather unpleasant. During mid-autum festival my grandparents would hang herbs (艾草/artemisia argyi?) at the door to ward off diseases. As I understand it, the tradition includes anointing children with herbal wine to symbolically disinfect them of diseases and sickness. In my family however someone had the bright idea of giving kids shots of herbal wine. I threw up in the stairwell. That was um... 1st grade I think.

At age 19-20, I dated a gal from college for about 6 months, then helped her move to North Cal to attend another school. We took a few trips to Napa Valley area together, she was 2 years older than me so she could pass the ID check. I wasn't into wine at the time, but it was my first time walking through a vineyard. Something about the clean air and vineyard scent clicked with me. Up until then I had only felt as good being near the ocean or large lakes, away from densely populated & dirty areas with fewer people. I've always liked books like Hemingway's "Old man and the sea", and manga like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō.

Over the following decade, I'd make occasional trips to Napa, up through St. Helena, Calistoga, attending the Northern California Ren Fair, etc. Then a friend from Canada came and we drove from LA to Napa. That was about ~12 years ago. We went to eat at Tra Vigne and did wine sampling at several wineries. My friend taught me the basics of wine making, tasting, and pairing. I did not know this at the time, but my friend's family owned a winery in Canada making eisewine. I was getting a free lecture from someone in the business.

Today I use more wine for cooking than actual drinking, much to the dismay of some of my friends. ;p
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

Back when I first started drinking around 20 years old, one or two beers would be enough for me to have a bad headache the next day. So I would avoid alcohol and would only drink occasionally at the rare Friday happy hour, or wedding, or when a friend was in town. Fast forward many years and now I drink 6-10 beers a week plus a couple glasses of wine. Not quite alcoholic levels, but not doing me any favors health wise. Fortunately I've never drank to the point of vomiting/blackout except for maybe 2-3 times in my early 20s. Never had a DUI, and am always functional. I'm cutting out booze tomorrow tomorrow - dumping the few beers I have in the basement, weighing myself, taking a few selfies, and will check on how I did at the end of May.