This happened last week...

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

This happened last week...

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

This started off last week: Some people at the church I go to accused me of staring and women and kids (which is untrue). The thing that made me really mad is that they went and complained to someone without even coming to me to see what was wrong! I normally go to their weekly dinner at night and the man who watches the door (the one that the complaints were made to) denied me entrance (even though the youth minister invited me; she was one of the people who complained on me). I'm not mad at that, it's just the fact that people made accusations against me (whether true or false) behind my back. Two days later, I told my mentor (who is an English professor) that I was done with church because of this incident. To make a long story short, she told me if that I stopped going to church, she would have nothing more to do with me. I was thinking, "So much for friendship... You're only my friend as long as I go to church, huh?" Later that day, she told me she got a call from the church and that they were "investigating" the situation and that they apologized to me. Well, in any case, I will not forget what she threatened me with. I do not know if she was bluffing or not, but that is not something you say to a friend, PERIOD (she is a devout Christian, she and her husband), especially if you claim to be a devout Christian. To her credit, though, this woman has helped me out in many ways, and she told me that she was going to try to help me get into a prestigious private school here in San Antonio-- she says that she knows some of the top people at that private school (or she knows somebody who knows somebody-- ever heard that phrase?). The reason why I mentioned this is because I still need her help for various stuff, so all I can do for right now is just play the game. I have already made my decision about Christianity (I'm DONE), but maybe it was unwise for me to publicly declare the end of my "Christian walk", so I am keeping it secret for the time being, until the time is right for me to finally break free, truly and openly. It's just like the movie Battlefield: Earth-- when Johnny Tyler was captured by that Psychlo, Terl, he intended to fight Terl and escape, but he soon realized that to truly break free, he would need to learn all he could and play the game (as he told the other humans that he was with) until his moment came. Otherwise, Terl would have had his ass for dinner.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

First of all, it's not fair to blame all Christians or Christianity itself for the stupid behavior of one church of people in one church. Not all Christians are the same and the American "flavor" of Christianity is unique in the world (i.e. very catty, judgmental, and superficial). Secondly, due to the horrid social makeup of modern America, there are very few options available to people, who are seeking friendship and social outlets. Basically, you have to go to your church, synagogue, mosque, etc in order to find your "friends", or join an interest group/club, and maintain fake friendships through your job. The "job friends" tend to vanish as soon as you move on to a new job. Unlike in much of the world where friendships develop naturally and not just between people sharing a common interest or faith, you can meet genuine people of all stripes.

Some of my best friends are overseas, and they've stuck with me the longest, with the exception of a few childhood friends. Interestingly, even though I'm a devout Christian, some of my best and kindest friends are atheists, agnostics, buddhists, or something else. My point is that you shouldn't limit your friends to your church, but to those who are truly kind and thoughtful. You don't need to be a Christian to have those characteristics, even though many Christian groups (e.g. Evangelicals, Pentecostals) tend to want to believe that only they are truly genuine.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: This happened last week...

Post by Adama »

the_hero_of_time wrote:This started off last week: Some people at the church I go to accused me of staring and women and kids (which is untrue). The thing that made me really mad is that they went and complained to someone without even coming to me to see what was wrong! I normally go to their weekly dinner at night and the man who watches the door (the one that the complaints were made to) denied me entrance (even though the youth minister invited me; she was one of the people who complained on me). I'm not mad at that, it's just the fact that people made accusations against me (whether true or false) behind my back.
the_hero_of_time wrote: Two days later, I told my mentor (who is an English professor) that I was done with church because of this incident. To make a long story short, she told me if that I stopped going to church, she would have nothing more to do with me. I was thinking, "So much for friendship... You're only my friend as long as I go to church, huh?" Later that day, she told me she got a call from the church and that they were "investigating" the situation and that they apologized to me. Well, in any case, I will not forget what she threatened me with. I do not know if she was bluffing or not, but that is not something you say to a friend, PERIOD (she is a devout Christian, she and her husband), especially if you claim to be a devout Christian. To her credit, though, this woman has helped me out in many ways, and she told me that she was going to try to help me get into a prestigious private school here in San Antonio-- she says that she knows some of the top people at that private school (or she knows somebody who knows somebody-- ever heard that phrase?). The reason why I mentioned this is because I still need her help for various stuff, so all I can do for right now is just play the game. I have already made my decision about Christianity (I'm DONE), but maybe it was unwise for me to publicly declare the end of my "Christian walk", so I am keeping it secret for the time being, until the time is right for me to finally break free, truly and openly. It's just like the movie Battlefield: Earth-- when Johnny Tyler was captured by that Psychlo, Terl, he intended to fight Terl and escape, but he soon realized that to truly break free, he would need to learn all he could and play the game (as he told the other humans that he was with) until his moment came. Otherwise, Terl would have had his ass for dinner.
It seems you are ranting on two divergent topics. I would much rather hear more on the first than the second. TMI on the second. The first one of false accusation is the one that is more important yet information on it is very sparse. What gives?

As for Christians, I have said it before and I will say it again: the most wretched and despicable people I have met here in the states have proclaimed their Christianity to me from the mountaintops. While they go out and do the opposite of Jesus's teachings (loving thy neighbor). Always interesting. More like a cult where they are trying to recruit you to become a Christian and join their church rather than trying to treat you decently as a person.
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

Just quit my brother. Jesus and Jehovah are not real so you would just be walking away from a money making franchise. Religion is the Matrix my brother. Save your money, time and energy to better yourself and find yourself a foreign woman.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

ErikHeaven wrote:Just quit my brother. Jesus and Jehovah are not real so you would just be walking away from a money making franchise. Religion is the Matrix my brother. Save your money, time and energy to better yourself and find yourself a foreign woman.

You are correct, but it's just like Johnny from Battlefield Earth-- he realized that he needed to play the Psychlo's game in order to break free ultimately.

What I am saying is this: I'm just playing the game right now until my time comes to fully break out.

P.S. I don't have any money to give this church, even if I wanted to :)
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Re: This happened last week...

Adama wrote:
the_hero_of_time wrote:This started off last week: Some people at the church I go to accused me of staring and women and kids (which is untrue). The thing that made me really mad is that they went and complained to someone without even coming to me to see what was wrong! I normally go to their weekly dinner at night and the man who watches the door (the one that the complaints were made to) denied me entrance (even though the youth minister invited me; she was one of the people who complained on me). I'm not mad at that, it's just the fact that people made accusations against me (whether true or false) behind my back.
the_hero_of_time wrote: Two days later, I told my mentor (who is an English professor) that I was done with church because of this incident. To make a long story short, she told me if that I stopped going to church, she would have nothing more to do with me. I was thinking, "So much for friendship... You're only my friend as long as I go to church, huh?" Later that day, she told me she got a call from the church and that they were "investigating" the situation and that they apologized to me. Well, in any case, I will not forget what she threatened me with. I do not know if she was bluffing or not, but that is not something you say to a friend, PERIOD (she is a devout Christian, she and her husband), especially if you claim to be a devout Christian. To her credit, though, this woman has helped me out in many ways, and she told me that she was going to try to help me get into a prestigious private school here in San Antonio-- she says that she knows some of the top people at that private school (or she knows somebody who knows somebody-- ever heard that phrase?). The reason why I mentioned this is because I still need her help for various stuff, so all I can do for right now is just play the game. I have already made my decision about Christianity (I'm DONE), but maybe it was unwise for me to publicly declare the end of my "Christian walk", so I am keeping it secret for the time being, until the time is right for me to finally break free, truly and openly. It's just like the movie Battlefield: Earth-- when Johnny Tyler was captured by that Psychlo, Terl, he intended to fight Terl and escape, but he soon realized that to truly break free, he would need to learn all he could and play the game (as he told the other humans that he was with) until his moment came. Otherwise, Terl would have had his ass for dinner.
It seems you are ranting on two divergent topics. I would much rather hear more on the first than the second. TMI on the second. The first one of false accusation is the one that is more important yet information on it is very sparse. What gives?

As for Christians, I have said it before and I will say it again: the most wretched and despicable people I have met here in the states have proclaimed their Christianity to me from the mountaintops. While they go out and do the opposite of Jesus's teachings (loving thy neighbor). Always interesting. More like a cult where they are trying to recruit you to become a Christian and join their church rather than trying to treat you decently as a person.
Well the thing is, I was kinda going through something and I was staring around. I can understand how people could get the wrong idea, but then again, THAT IS NO EXCUSE FOR THEM DOING WHAT AMOUNTED TO GOSSIPING BEHIND MY BACK!

I understand what you are saying, but I had to tell both parts of the story to try to get you to understand what happened to me better.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

RedDog wrote:First of all, it's not fair to blame all Christians or Christianity itself for the stupid behavior of one church of people in one church. Not all Christians are the same and the American "flavor" of Christianity is unique in the world (i.e. very catty, judgmental, and superficial). Secondly, due to the horrid social makeup of modern America, there are very few options available to people, who are seeking friendship and social outlets. Basically, you have to go to your church, synagogue, mosque, etc in order to find your "friends", or join an interest group/club, and maintain fake friendships through your job. The "job friends" tend to vanish as soon as you move on to a new job. Unlike in much of the world where friendships develop naturally and not just between people sharing a common interest or faith, you can meet genuine people of all stripes.

Some of my best friends are overseas, and they've stuck with me the longest, with the exception of a few childhood friends. Interestingly, even though I'm a devout Christian, some of my best and kindest friends are atheists, agnostics, buddhists, or something else. My point is that you shouldn't limit your friends to your church, but to those who are truly kind and thoughtful. You don't need to be a Christian to have those characteristics, even though many Christian groups (e.g. Evangelicals, Pentecostals) tend to want to believe that only they are truly genuine.
Yes, but that is the kind of behaviour I expect from non-Christians.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

Congratulations brother on taking your first step outside of that christian cult. I was in it before too. i left it 7 years ago. and i am very happy now as a result. i lived in the house with a tyrant step-father he was unkind and very cruel. i was scared for my life sometimes around him. i am glad i left. may you find happiness in your life from here on out. :D

Yes american people, especially american women. will think your some dangerous predator or something. and the women are ALL trying to get you into trouble so they can get attention. the gossip is their way of getting attention. stay AWAY from american women they are very evil and dangerous for an innocent man like your self to be around. peace dude.
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

I was part of the Jehovahs Witness cult at one point myself. *shivers*

Mentally extricating myself from them was very difficult, my views started to drift from them gradually, going from believing most of what they said, to believing them but doubting their leaders, then to Christian Universalism, then to Gnosticism, and then ever onward...
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I would definitely ditch that group fast. More phonies who neglect to read the many passages of the Bible that talk against bearing false witness (isn't that one of the commandments?). But, the way they handled the situation shows they have an undeveloped sense of justice. Your mentor sounds even worse. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Good point, MrPeabody. With friends like her, who needs enemies? I have cut similar people loose in my life. When they turn into more of a liability as a friend with their treatment towards me, I say forget them. True friends don't intentionally do bad things, and they go out of their way to make sure they dont hurt you even unintentionally. If that makes any sense...

I go out of my way not to stare at women. When they walk by or are otherwise in my field of vision, unless I am talking to them, I just look straight ahead. If I make eye contact, smile. Otherwise not even for a second. With AWs, I mostly just look at their foreheads rather than the eyes. Soulless creatures that they are.
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

My mother raised me as a Jehovah's Witness from birth. I ran away from that nonsense at 19. One of the most damaging cults ever.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Why didn't you talk to the minister about this? When girls complain about that, it's a sensitive situation. Sometimes if you look at them even once, they get creeped out and complain. I've had it happen to me before.

Here is the story of how I finally broke free of my Christian walk:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/Christian_Story.htm
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

MrPeabody wrote:I would definitely ditch that group fast. More phonies who neglect to read the many passages of the Bible that talk against bearing false witness (isn't that one of the commandments?). But, the way they handled the situation shows they have an undeveloped sense of justice. Your mentor sounds even worse. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
While you are right about that one, my mentor, after all, is an Eglish professor (and she has shown me stuff she has done that has been widely acclaimed by bigwig people. She even told me that some people want her to speak in London soon), thus she knows the right people and she has access to resources I could not dream of. my point is this: Until I can break free and after I get all that I can from this experience, I am just going to play the game.
Truthville
Freshman Poster

Post by Truthville »

Sorry to hear that happened to ya Hero!

It's funny, sometimes I used to think I was a bit too paranoid with all the "single man=twisted pedophile" cultural conditioning I have noticed over the years.

Perhaps I am, but as your story shows, better safe than sorry!

IF you would have had a woman at your side, this probably wouldn't have happened at all. I wonder why single women whom stare at young boys aren't "suspicious?" :P

Also, though I'm not a fan of L. Ron Hubbard the spiritual "guru," I am a fan of L. Ron. Hubbard the golden age sci-fi writer. Hopefully, Hero, you have read "Battlefield Earth?" It ranks in my top ten BEST novels of all time! I've never seen the movie because I heard it didn't do the book justice.

TruthVille