Kazakhstan or the Philippines?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Kazakhstan or the Philippines?

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

These are two possible places that I want to go studying abroad and/or settling there permanently. Which one is actually better, and why?
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Kazakhstan or the Philippines?

Post by Rock »

The_Hero_of_Twilight wrote:These are two possible places that I want to go studying abroad and/or settling there permanently. Which one is actually better, and why?
Kind of like asking whether an apple or orange is better and why, very open ended. Also, the info on this board is asymmetric - all kinds of stuff on PI, very little on Kazakhstan.

Let's see if Lad or anyone else whose lived in FSU/Eastern Europe passed through there and can add anything.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I would say for an American, the Philippines is much more convenient, surer, and basically a guaranteed place for a better life. It is like moving to Hawaii, except that it is some 5 times cheaper and the people are friendly. The country runs on the English language, the visas are a breeze, and many- as in hundreds of thousands- ladies want to date you. You will feel more at home here than back home. And you do not need to be rich to be here.
Kazakhstan may be more exotic - Russian speaking Muslim Oriental people, but there is no infrastructure to meet an incoming American and accommodate him the way the Philippines would. You would be dealing with laws that may seem weird, visa regulations that are much stricter, people who do not speak English, and a country that runs on a Cyrillic alphabet. Some guys have managed but these were employed by respectable foreign companies which acted as a buffer between them and 'the world'.
So, if you go at it alone and do not want unnecessary "challenges"( read -unnecessary headaches and wacky problems), the Philippines is here to welcome an American with open arms in English. However, if you still want a place as exotic as Kz, I would recommend you go there with a company/job.
Finally, why not go to two places and speak with expats who are there?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

ladislav wrote:I would say for an American, the Philippines is much more convenient, surer, and basically a guaranteed place for a better life. It is like moving to Hawaii, except that it is some 5 times cheaper and the people are friendly. The country runs on the English language, the visas are a breeze, and many- as in hundreds of thousands- ladies want to date you. You will feel more at home here than back home. And you do not need to be rich to be here.
Kazakhstan may be more exotic - Russian speaking Muslim Oriental people, but there is no infrastructure to meet an incoming American and accommodate him the way the Philippines would. You would be dealing with laws that may seem weird, visa regulations that are much stricter, people who do not speak English, and a country that runs on a Cyrillic alphabet. Some guys have managed but these were employed by respectable foreign companies which acted as a buffer between them and 'the world'.
So, if you go at it alone and do not want unnecessary "challenges"( read -unnecessary headaches and wacky problems), the Philippines is here to welcome an American with open arms in English. However, if you still want a place as exotic as Kz, I would recommend you go there with a company/job.
Finally, why not go to two places and speak with expats who are there?
It's my understanding that a large part of the Kazakhstan population is Orthodox Christian (as I am). Do you know anything about that, and/or if the ladies there are approachable. What kind of life can you afford there, if you're there teaching ESL?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

It's my understanding that a large part of the Kazakhstan population is Orthodox Christian (as I am). Do you know anything about that, and/or if the ladies there are approachable. What kind of life can you afford there, if you're there teaching ESL?
Oh, yes. The ethnic Russians who had moved there ages back. And yes, their ladies are approachable. If you teach ESL and make some $800-1200 a month, you could live well - I guess as well as a person who is making some 60K a year in the US. I would go to ESLcafe.com forums and look up the section on Kazakhstan, become an eslcafe member if you are not yet one and ask all these questions there. Many people are working there now. Those countries are now the future.

You should also check out Kyrgyzstan next door. It seems to be even better. This may be your life there, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3lY169lxE

here is the view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wa39hdRmjI

The good thing about those countries is that they are used to seeing white people because of being exposed to Russians for centuries and living under them. So, you will not have people sticking fingers at you if you are white and calling you a "foreign devil".
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

ladislav wrote:
Oh, yes. The ethnic Russians who had moved there ages back. And yes, their ladies are approachable. If you teach ESL and make some $800-1200 a month, you could live well - I guess as well as a person who is making some 60K a year in the US. I would go to ESLcafe.com forums and look up the section on Kazakhstan, become an eslcafe member if you are not yet one and ask all these questions there. Many people are working there now. Those countries are now the future.

You should also check out Kyrgyzstan next door. It seems to be even better. This may be your life there, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3lY169lxE

here is the view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wa39hdRmjI

The good thing about those countries is that they are used to seeing white people because of being exposed to Russians for centuries and living under them. So, you will not have people sticking fingers at you if you are white and calling you a "foreign devil".
Yanguizi, silaowai, gaijin, farang, farang, farang (little kids barking at you)!!! But seriously Lad, if they are so used to white people, don't you lose most of your exotic appeal as a westerner?

I noticed that Kyrgyzstan is dirt poor GDP per head wise (only about 10% of Kazakhstan's level) and seems to have almost nothing (reminiscent of what Russia was like in early 90s and before based on the short vids you posted). It also reminds me of UB, Mongolia in some ways, circa late 90s/early 00s. I wonder if that means the people are relatively unspoiled, the way the were in Russia before western style capitalism corrupted values. Anyway, there must be a huge difference between the two countries given the dramatic difference in incomes. What do you think about all this?
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

In Kazakhstan you could be an ex-pat pioneer, like the first Americans who settled in Costa Rica. If Kazakhstan adopts a merit based immigration policy with some pro-growth market reforms, the economy could soon take off.