English teacher vacancies in Japan

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

English teacher vacancies in Japan

Post by momopi »

Word is that many English teachers have left Japan, specifically in Tokyo area. Japanese schools are scrambling to fill vacancies and they're now offering sign-on bonuses and small increases in salary. So if you're willing to brave the meltdown situation, here's your ticket abroad!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

on the plus side, i think southern japan is getting less radiation than the west coast of north america :lol:
Think Different
Junior Poster

Re: English teacher vacancies in Japan

Post by Think Different »

momopi wrote:Word is that many English teachers have left Japan, specifically in Tokyo area. Japanese schools are scrambling to fill vacancies and they're now offering sign-on bonuses and small increases in salary. So if you're willing to brave the meltdown situation, here's your ticket abroad!
Do those positions offer a livable salary? Is it possible to save any money at the end of the month? Or is it too expensive there for that?
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

I remember someone mentioning working (as an foreign english teacher) a good 200 miles from where they lived and using the bullet train to commute everyday :lol: And he had 2 room-mates in a 1 bedroom apartment. This was back in 2004-ish, it's probably only gotten worse since then (pay vs rent).
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Is there a link? And samples of these jobs and salaries/conditions?

http://www.ohayosensei.com

posts the same crappy jobs as before.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Think Different wrote:
momopi wrote:Word is that many English teachers have left Japan, specifically in Tokyo area. Japanese schools are scrambling to fill vacancies and they're now offering sign-on bonuses and small increases in salary. So if you're willing to brave the meltdown situation, here's your ticket abroad!
Do those positions offer a livable salary? Is it possible to save any money at the end of the month? Or is it too expensive there for that?
ladislav wrote:Is there a link? And samples of these jobs and salaries/conditions?

http://www.ohayosensei.com

posts the same crappy jobs as before.
Just taking a quick glance at the most current issue, it looks like most of the full time positions pay around 230,000 - 280,000 Yen / 2,839 - 3,457 US$ per month. Those that offer nearby apartments charge around 60K to 70K Yen / 740 - 864 US$ per month for rent and utilities. If you spent about US$1,000 on food, taxes, and miscellaneous, that would leave you with US$975 - 1,717 per month to sock away or US$11,700 to 20,604 per year. I don't know whether or not I was too optimistic on the expense side. But even if not, the savings do seem pretty meager for working your ass off full-time like that.
mackijs2008
Freshman Poster

Post by mackijs2008 »

I was looking at a couple of job advertisements on gaijinpot in Japan.

Most state that you must be currently residing in Japan.

Some state that they don't sponsor your work vise :shock:

How else are you supposed to get one? Is this a common problem even with the shortage of teachers?
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Rock wrote: If you spent about US$1,000 on food, taxes, and miscellaneous, that would leave you with US$975 - 1,717 per month to sock away or US$11,700 to 20,604 per year. I don't know whether or not I was too optimistic on the expense side. But even if not, the savings do seem pretty meager for working your ass off full-time like that.
It's possible to save just as much in Thailand while working probably half as hard. I have done some part time teaching here and it's ridiculously simple. Most Thais have a poor work ethic so you get by on just conversation lessons.

In Japan they probably expect you to actually have lessons and be active.