When does positive thinking turn into mere denial?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

When does positive thinking turn into mere denial?

Post by DaRick »

You know, I had a long conversation with this Lithuanian girl today. I admitted that I leaned towards pessimism. She implied that I needed to be more positive and not tear myself up about little things. I then admitted she had a point, but that positive thinking could easily lead to denial, which is why I preferred caution.

So...when does positive thinking blur into denial? When you try to see the good in an inherently negative situation (male dating choices here; Anglo women) etc? Just a question.

Moreover, what is the difference between complaining about a legitimate problem and "feeling sorry for yourself"?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I guess when your positive thinking does not fit the facts, then you're in denial. Positive thinking is great, but it's not a magic pill and you should be realistic too. But there's nothing wrong with trying to see the glass as half full. Just don't believe bogus things that aren't true, lest they lead to disappointment.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: When does positive thinking turn into mere denial?

Post by djfourmoney »

DaRick wrote:You know, I had a long conversation with this Lithuanian girl today. I admitted that I leaned towards pessimism. She implied that I needed to be more positive and not tear myself up about little things. I then admitted she had a point, but that positive thinking could easily lead to denial, which is why I preferred caution.

So...when does positive thinking blur into denial? When you try to see the good in an inherently negative situation (male dating choices here; Anglo women) etc? Just a question.

Moreover, what is the difference between complaining about a legitimate problem and "feeling sorry for yourself"?
What is so negative in your life that you lean towards pessimism?

I have doubt creep in every now and then. On other forums I see minor attacks on my self-worth and they have an impact. Because I start to doubt what I'm doing. Older Americans, especially those from middle class background or lower always say "I would trade shoes with you anytime", yet those with so-called job (not careers) and other elements of status tend to look down at my situations. Only a few have offered jobs, encouragement, etc. I know who my friends are, you get it?

As long as you have a plan of action, there's no reason to be doubtful or pessimistic, IMHO.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

I think I'd re-frame this whole thing into proactive thinking vs positive thinking.

A positive thinker is a type of Dale Carnegie, Cultish happy-go-lucky fool, who takes every statement as something inspiring or *good*. Here's an example... I'd mentioned to Mr A that a client company had 4 development centers and the challenge of team USA was to coordinate the efforts so that things would work in the end. The result of course was a ton of overtime (OT) by everyone involved. Mr A's response was that team USA was doing a great job and that's how things are. He, of course, missed the point. The point was that high OT leads to turnover and eventually, a dissolving and dis-coordinated team down the road. A different person would have looked at the scene, appreciated what was done earlier, but then looks for ways to reduce the hours and to make the top contributors remain on the team.

I'd say, be proactive and then, being positive becomes meaningful.

And it can be something very simple. Let's say you normally use the treadmill, 4 times per week. Well, every 2nd or 4th time, think of a way of making that routine harder, perhaps ankle weights or some dumbbell curls, after a brief warm up. Or, when you're feeling beat and don't want to exercise, do one single Pilates routine for 10 reps & write that down in your journal. And then, you can have the satisfaction of knowing that you never skip your routine.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

DaRick wrote:When you try to see the good in an inherently negative situation (male dating choices here; Anglo women) etc? Just a question.
This situation doesn't apply. A proactive person wouldn't waste his precious free time, away from work, for one of these Lesbo femi-nazis.

Here's the key to a happy life in the west ... earn money (& advance this area in terms of extra study a/o business development), exercise (& eat right), have activities w/ male friends (like martial arts, music, sporting venues, etc), and then go to gentlemen's clubs in Canada for R&R or the Nevada ranches.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

djfourmoney wrote:
DaRick wrote:You know, I had a long conversation with this Lithuanian girl today. I admitted that I leaned towards pessimism. She implied that I needed to be more positive and not tear myself up about little things. I then admitted she had a point, but that positive thinking could easily lead to denial, which is why I preferred caution.

What is so negative in your life that you lean towards pessimism?

I have doubt creep in every now and then. On other forums I see minor attacks on my self-worth and they have an impact. Because I start to doubt what I'm doing. Older Americans, especially those from middle class background or lower always say "I would trade shoes with you anytime", yet those with so-called job (not careers) and other elements of status tend to look down at my situations. Only a few have offered jobs, encouragement, etc. I know who my friends are, you get it?

As long as you have a plan of action, there's no reason to be doubtful or pessimistic, IMHO.
Well, remember that we live in the Anglosphere: a place where your life could theoretically be ruined by some vindictive bitch who decides to select your name out of a phone book and plant a false rape accusation on you out of general spite towards men. That thought alone tempers my enthusiasm.

That being said, I know where I'm going and I have at least a vague idea of what I want to do.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

It is a great question.

I feel like there are a lot of guys in the US trying to positive-think their way out of things and it's kinda sad.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

sushiman wrote:It is a great question.

I feel like there are a lot of guys in the US trying to positive-think their way out of things and it's kinda sad.
There's being positive and then there's being delusional. I think you're talking about the latter...
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I think negative thinking can be even more delusional than positive thinking. For example, if we are negative thinkers, and one thing goes wrong, we will see the universe as not working. But, this is a distortion in thinking because at any one moment, literally millions of things had to go right for you to still be here. Negative thinking can also seem to be more intelligent to some, even though it really isn't. If you are a negative thinker, going to a foreign country will be hard on you, because so many things go wrong while you are trying to figure out the culture and how to survive. Developing a balanced objective approach to viewing reality really isn't an intellectual exercise. It's more of a matter of developing and maturing the emotions.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

For example "if I just work out harder, run faster, make more money, take positive thinking classes, become a pua" are things guys here are doing to address the root problem they sense (lack of respect, sex, dinner), but the root problem is in the environment. Even though things aren't working "try harder" is their plan.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

DaRick wrote:Moreover, what is the difference between complaining about a legitimate problem and "feeling sorry for yourself"?
It is a legitimate problem and so I wouldn't call it complaining, there are more positive words! :) Guys here need to "complain" more. Organize, lobby for male rights, put Kraft and they discriminatory commercial out of business, call out the problem and educate other men. The same thing women did.

But doing so is just exhausting and part of the problem and so I'm leaving. But for those staying good luck, you'll have to fight, in numbers, and don't rule out guns. A lot of effort and money has been spent making you slaves, they aren't gonna just hand you back your rights.