Need Help!! can you tell difference b/w foreign and american

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Need Help!! can you tell difference b/w foreign and american

Post by ssjparris »

I have a question.

I have been trying to weed out women here in the states. the american women. so that i can find the foriegn women. I usually ask a question

" Do you come from the states ?" foreign women will actually tell me this " yes i come from here." Not the answer i am expecting from a foreign woman. American women will ofcourse answer the same thing. ugh !!!

So i decided to change it up to this " Where you born here !?" they will tell me " no i was born in ___ " but here is the thing, some american women are born in mexico or some place else and come here at a baby age. i just recently had asked an attractive mexican woman if she was born here. " she said no i come from mexico." but she is actually american mexican. ofcourse she walked away right when i was trying to start a conversation with her. And her accent was a very strong american accent. not a spanish accent. so i guess this should have told me she is definitely american or americanized if you will.

Mexican women are usually friendly the older ones are friendly actually.

so my thing is. what kind of question should i ask to find out if the woman is foreign or not.

I am personally tired of trying to find it on my own. because the unfriendliness is just uncomfortable. it makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. but ofcourse it isn't me its the environment and society.

anyways love your help guys thanks.
Last edited by ssjparris on June 9th, 2011, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

tradcom
Freshman Poster

Re: Need Help!! can you tell difference b/w foreign and amer

Post by tradcom »

ssjparris wrote:And her accent was a very strong american accent. not a spanish accent.
You have the answer to your question right there.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

Yeah you know what hahahahahahhaa thanks brother. from now on when i hear that accent i am going to walk away right in front of her. hihihihihi. :lol:
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

If I detect an accent, I ask them "what country are you from?". If they are truly a foreigner, they are usually proud of it, and will tell you. If they have no accent, or try to dodge the question, then you know immediately that they are too Americanized and not worth another moment of your time. Time consumed: 10 seconds.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

If a woman has anything which sounds like an American accent, sans Pennsylvanian Dutch (which is unique), please don't start of the conversation talking about nationalities.

The first thing which comes to people's mind, is that someone is trying to place me in some ethnic stereotype box. That's normally never interpreted the right way. I did that once, asking if the lady was Spanish and immediately, I got the American/Acadian-French-Canadian response but with a lot of anger. She was offended because she's white and saw that as a hispanic labeling.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

S_Parc wrote:If a woman has anything which sounds like an American accent, sans Pennsylvanian Dutch (which is unique), please don't start of the conversation talking about nationalities.

The first thing which comes to people's mind, is that someone is trying to place me in some ethnic stereotype box. That's normally never interpreted the right way. I did that once, asking if the lady was Spanish and immediately, I got the American/Acadian-French-Canadian response but with a lot of anger. She was offended because she's white and saw that as a hispanic labeling.
I long ago stopped worrying about "offending" people. If a person can't take a straightforward innocent question (I'm not talking about obvious racist or insulting things), then I want nothing to do with them.
The Arab
Freshman Poster

Post by The Arab »

ssjparris ..

Enough is enough, I'm officially calling you out. I am extremely annoyed with almost everything you post, it's so childish

You are an American adult and asking a forum how to ask a women whether she is foreign or not. I think what you need is assistance with developing social skills first, because you clearly have severe problems with knowing how to interact with other adults.

You described yourself in another post as a handsome muscular black man. You're being called out. You've mentioned you like to play with little children and how folks find it weird ... I think a big muscular black man playing with kids would look weird .. if that is even true.

You claim to have many "foreign female" friends. I don't believe you, I think this is a figment of your imagination. You even mention having foreign women as "best friends." Just no way, I cannot even imagine you communicating effectively. I haven't seen you actually intelligently discuss anything, haven't seen much at all, even rudimentary knowledge about the world.

What in God's name is wrong with your English man ? Did you even get past 5th grade ? How can you talk to women when your writing is terrible. Usually people use less vocabulary in speaking than writing, and your vocabulary is very limited even in writing. I can only imagine how you speak in person with the writing you display here.

I think your problem is your lack of social skills and education, and possibly appearance.

Where do you live in LA, and what do you do. Hard to imagine a tall muscular handsome black man is totally unable to find a woman in LA.

Hell, just yesterday a woman commented on my cologne and I got her number at Starbucks .. also dating 3 Russian chicks whose numbers i obtained and am meeting all 3 .. just by talking to them intelligently and romancing them.

We need to help you see what the problem is with you first, to better improve your chances.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

I've always found it interesting how foreign women tend to lose their accents whilst in America. It doesn't occur in Australia; you can always pick out foreigners here. My mother still retains her Malaysian accent, as well.

Could it be because American culture is more powerful than Australia's (which is but a facsimile of American and British culture due to the country's relative youthfulness) and so there is a greater subconscious pressure to conform (although that is very much present here too)?

BTW, The Arab, men in the Anglosphere are demonised to the extent where people freak out if they hug little children, etc. My Sundanese lecturer found this out for himself. So no, if SSJParris is being truthful, it is not altogether surprising that people would have epileptic fits when he interacts with children.
The Arab
Freshman Poster

Post by The Arab »

DaRick wrote:I've always found it interesting how foreign women tend to lose their accents whilst in America. It doesn't occur in Australia; you can always pick out foreigners here. My mother still retains her Malaysian accent, as well.

Could it be because American culture is more powerful than Australia's (which is but a facsimile of American and British culture due to the country's relative youthfulness) and so there is a greater subconscious pressure to conform (although that is very much present here too)?

BTW, The Arab, men in the Anglosphere are demonised to the extent where people freak out if they hug little children, etc. My Sundanese lecturer found this out for himself. So no, if SSJParris is being truthful, it is not altogether surprising that people would have epileptic fits when he interacts with children.
I don't see foreign women losing their accents - it depends when they got here, how long they lived here, and how much they socialized with Americans.

Arnold Shwartznegger still has a huge accent after living here for over 30 years. Jean Claude Van Damma has an accent. I know lots of foreigners living in the U.S. for decades who still have accents.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

The Arab wrote:
DaRick wrote:I've always found it interesting how foreign women tend to lose their accents whilst in America. It doesn't occur in Australia; you can always pick out foreigners here. My mother still retains her Malaysian accent, as well.

I don't see foreign women losing their accents - it depends when they got here, how long they lived here, and how much they socialized with Americans.

Arnold Shwartznegger still has a huge accent after living here for over 30 years. Jean Claude Van Damma has an accent. I know lots of foreigners living in the U.S. for decades who still have accents.
Arnold Schwarzenegger uses a voice coach to help him retain his Austrian accent. I'm not certain about Van Damme.

I do agree that if you get to the Anglosphere as a child, you are likely to pick up an Anglo accent, but that likely goes for anywhere else. America is unique in that adults appear to lose their accents as well (like RedDog/Think Different's wife).
Last edited by DaRick on June 9th, 2011, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Arab
Freshman Poster

Post by The Arab »

DaRick wrote:
The Arab wrote:

Arnold Schwarzenegger uses a voice coach to help him retain his Austrian accent.
Source ?

I have many professors, and even after many years they still speak with an accent. Those that speak English with an American accent tend to come to America at a young age.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

The Arab wrote:
DaRick wrote:
The Arab wrote:

Arnold Schwarzenegger uses a voice coach to help him retain his Austrian accent.
Source ?

I have many professors, and even after many years they still speak with an accent. Those that speak English with an American accent tend to come to America at a young age.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_hist ... arzenegger

Mel Gibson also lost his AUS accent. If you watch the first two Mad Max movies (well, I think one was overdubbed in America), he has a notable Australian accent.
The Arab
Freshman Poster

Post by The Arab »

That's hardly a source ....

Anonymous posts on a wiki-like site where anyone can edit and input posts/material ? It's a dialogue between two people there.

I mean that would not be accepted as a source anywhere.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

The Arab wrote:That's hardly a source ....

Anonymous posts on a wiki-like site where anyone can edit and input posts/material ? It's a dialogue between two people there.

I mean that would not be accepted as a source anywhere.
In fairness, you've provided no sources to support your assertions.

Moreover, it's not like I'm writing an essay.

The fact is, there is some evidence that Arnold Schwarzenegger has had help trying to retain that accent of his. There is also a motive; the accent is partially responsible for making him famous. Why would he want to risk losing it?
Last edited by DaRick on June 10th, 2011, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I don't have any sources and haven't heard of this before, but I can easily understand why actors like Schwarzenegger and Van Damme would make every effort to keep their accents, as it is an important part of their Hollywood persona. The same as why Michael Jackson wouldn't want his voice to mature or Sam Jackson doesn't get hair transplants.

When I worked in Hollywood, a friend of a friend was a pretty obese guy who was getting steady work acting. One day, though, he decided to change his ways, get a personal trainer and get in great shape. He stopped getting work.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan