About my personal battle with Christianity...

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

About my personal battle with Christianity...

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

I have realized that Christianity is bogus, years ago, but I still struggle with it, like a spiritual/personal version of Mortal Kombat... There is just too much self-contradicting crap there! Like I said earlier, I only go to church to keep everyone off of my back. A smart man knows how to pick his battles. That is why I have not openly declared my intentions to ANYONE that I know. I know that those people can be afraid of those who think for themselves. Am I correct or not? What do you guys think? I am writing this because I need some kind of support from you guys.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: About my personal battle with Christianity...

Post by zboy1 »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:I have realized that Christianity is bogus, years ago, but I still struggle with it, like a spiritual/personal version of Mortal Kombat... There is just too much self-contradicting crap there! Like I said earlier, I only go to church to keep everyone off of my back. A smart man knows how to pick his battles. That is why I have not openly declared my intentions to ANYONE that I know. I know that those people can be afraid of those who think for themselves. Am I correct or not? What do you guys think? I am writing this because I need some kind of support from you guys.
Religion is a personal choice. I'm not going to say what religion is right or wrong, but I will say Christianity is what suits me the most. For other people it could be Buddhism, Islam, or some other religion. I don't like how there are so many atheists on this board. I think everyone should have some kind of spiritual upbringing IMO. I do try to avoid some Christians because of how hypocritical and crazy some of them act though...But to be honest, you have crazy people in every religion and even among atheists as well. So, its your personal choice to be religious or not.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

If appearances are important, you could tell them that you have become a Unitarian. The Unitarians accept just about every belief and welcome atheists, but hold themselves out as a Christian Church. I would just do what you have to do and avoid any argumentation or trying to disprove their beliefs. Christian Fundamentalists can be extremely mean-spirited and it's best to avoid confrontation. If you have to keep a low profile to survive your present situation, there is nothing wrong with that.
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

First, if you don’t believe in Christianity, quit going to church. Just by attending church, you are supporting the institution. I quit attending church 20 years ago. I took a lot of crap from my family, but they have not disowned me. I was raised a fundamentalist Baptist, the official religion of uneducated and bigoted hillbillies and white trash. By quitting church I traded up to better friends.
A study done in Evolutionary Psychology found that about 25% ministers doubt many parts of their faith. If people were honest with themselves, there would be 25% less people in church next Sunday.
http://www.epjournal.net/filestore/EP08122150.pdf

Pat Roberson who claims to be a six day creationist, only recently stated a meteor wiped out the dinosaurs. When the movie “Jurassic Park� come out, he claimed the dinosaurs were on Noah’s Ark. So as Roberson gets older and crazier, his bullshit filter is not working as well. Even Roberson know creationism is bullshit.

Billy Graham has confessed doubt about the bible to both Charles Templeton and Francis Shaffer. After Mother Teresa died, the Catholic Church release letters where Mother Teresa wrote she had not felt the presence of god in 50 years!

I can give you a list on books, but this is good place to start.

http://www.williamlobdell.com/
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:I have realized that Christianity is bogus, years ago, but I still struggle with it, like a spiritual/personal version of Mortal Kombat... There is just too much self-contradicting crap there! Like I said earlier, I only go to church to keep everyone off of my back. A smart man knows how to pick his battles. That is why I have not openly declared my intentions to ANYONE that I know. I know that those people can be afraid of those who think for themselves. Am I correct or not? What do you guys think? I am writing this because I need some kind of support from you guys.
viewtopic.php?t=9931 get a clue! moran! 8)
the only thing bogus is a grown man playing zelda.
MarkDY wrote:First, if you don’t believe in Christianity, quit going to church. Just by attending church, you are supporting the institution.

Pat Roberson who claims to be a six day creationist, only recently stated a meteor wiped out the dinosaurs. When the movie “Jurassic Park� come out, he claimed the dinosaurs were on Noah’s Ark. So as Roberson gets older and crazier, his bullshit filter is not working as well. Even Roberson know creationism is bullshit.
And what institution would that be? :lol:
If you believe in Christanity, quit going to church. * fixed

Fyi Pat Robertson is probably the most obvious example in America of controlled opposition. He's a Satanist. Anyone who thinks HE views himself as a Christian, is just as dumb as the people who watch his show, thinking he's a Christian.
Last edited by odbo on June 9th, 2011, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

Many American Christians are a funny breed. The fundamentalists are the worst types; the ones I've met tend to be bigoted, arrogant people. It could be because America is so ego-oriented, that these types use their Christianity to feel better than others. If it's not Christianity, it would be some other religion. It's about them, more than it is about their official denomination.

I still believe in God (because the fact that we even exist in an otherwise lifeless solar system is a minor miracle), but I don't particularly enjoy going to church.

Ultimately, what you believe and do is up to you. While you are in America though, I wouldn't recommend being too public about your discontentment with Christianity, because then you'll attract unwanted attention.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

odbo wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=9931 get a clue! moran! 8)
MarkDY wrote:First, if you don’t believe in Christianity, quit going to church. Just by attending church, you are supporting the institution.

And what institution would that be? :lol:
If you believe in Christanity, quit going to church. * fixed

Fyi Pat Robertson is probably the most obvious example in America of controlled opposition. He's a Satanist. Anyone who thinks HE views himself as a Christian, is just as dumb as the people who watch his show, thinking he's a Christian.

You know, in your world, it might be bogus for someone my age to play Zelda, but, thankfully, I do not live in your world-- I live in the REAL world. I go out in the world and handle my business like a real man, so, in my free time, I am entitled to do whatever the hell I choose to. For instance, you go out into the world and handle your business like a real man should, so, in your spare time, if you want to be a paranoid conspiracy freak, then that is your choice, and I won't knock you for it, even though I may disagree with it. So please do not slam me just because I don't fit your standards of a "grown man". Actually, your standards do not matter to me, because I live my life and my manhood by my own personal standards, and no one else's. If I want to play Zelda in my spare time, then I will play Zelda. If I want to watch Barney in my spare time, then I will do so (however, I would not touch that show with a 10-foot pole).

Thank you.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
Hook
Freshman Poster

Post by Hook »

odbo wrote: viewtopic.php?t=9931 get a clue! moran! 8)
You just revealed that you are a regular on GodLikeProductions. That is one of the quircks of that community that they call morons morans.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

What concerns me is the notion of having a YouTube video answer for every problem. What if someday you are faced with a situation and there is no YouTube video to tell you what to do?
Linc4Love
Freshman Poster

Post by Linc4Love »

Much of what you know about Christianity is likely already filtered and skewed by how your church interpreted things. Any true Christian devout in his faith will tell you that you need to read the Bible for yourself and form your own conclusions (since that is a biblical commandment). Don't judge a religion solely because many of their followers are morons.

Consider this, would a Muslim be happy if you presumed that Islam MUST support terrorism simply because an apparently disproportionate number of Muslims liked to blow things up? Not likely. One has to study a religion for himself rather than rely passively on hearsay to make a truly informed opinion.

And if your friends or family don't like the path you ultimately decide to choose, f**k 'em.
Linc4Love
Freshman Poster

Post by Linc4Love »

MrPeabody wrote:What concerns me is the notion of having a YouTube video answer for every problem. What if someday you are faced with a situation and there is no YouTube video to tell you what to do?
Well, there's always Vimeo. :mrgreen:
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Linc4Love wrote:Much of what you know about Christianity is likely already filtered and skewed by how your church interpreted things. Any true Christian devout in his faith will tell you that you need to read the Bible for yourself and form your own conclusions (since that is a biblical commandment). Don't judge a religion solely because many of their followers are morons.

Consider this, would a Muslim be happy if you presumed that Islam MUST support terrorism simply because an apparently disproportionate number of Muslims liked to blow things up? Not likely. One has to study a religion for himself rather than rely passively on hearsay to make a truly informed opinion.

And if your friends or family don't like the path you ultimately decide to choose, f**k 'em.
You are so correct on that point. I also mainly base my decisions on years of crap I have been through.
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Lol i rather play videogames, than to be a conspiracy freak (like that faggot Linux) too Hero.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

well-informed wrote:Lol i rather play videogames, than to be a conspiracy freak (like that faggot Linux) too Hero.
Like I said, I won't knock him for his choices
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

MrPeabody wrote:What concerns me is the notion of having a YouTube video answer for every problem. What if someday you are faced with a situation and there is no YouTube video to tell you what to do?
People are so dumbed down now that they can't handle data, (especially in the form of text) thrown at them. Show they some documents and you'll just get a puzzled look. They're also severely conditioned. For example if I mention the word satanist, according to the brainwashed masses particularly the egotistic jackasses (i.e. GlobeTrotter) it instantly means I'm a religious nut-job or "stupid Christian". I'm not even religious in ANY way but that's besides the point.

Hence the youtube videos, which also appeal to the right-brain thus bypassing some of the conditioned mental barriers and lack of intellect, increasing the likelihood of invoking some clarity. There are some seriously great user-made documentaries out there. Watching these as a skeptic will challenge a person to think for themself, and put concepts and questions in the mind which a Zelda playing man-child would otherwise NEVER have gotten had he lived another 200 years.
Hook wrote: You just revealed that you are a regular on GodLikeProductions. That is one of the quircks of that community that they call morons morans.
haha I didn't know about that! thanks for telling me. No I'm not a regular on there but have read several discussions over the years. I think that site has gone downhill last few years, too many trolling greenhorns caused an exodus of those with anything valuable to say.