Stay in the USA and Work Till You are 80

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Stay in the USA and Work Till You are 80

Post by OutWest »

In my visit to the USA, the wisdom of my having located abroad is validated nearly every day.
The chickens are coming home to roost.

Enjoy life! Work till you are 80...or until you are dead!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/many-o ... 2011-06-09

Outwest

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Things like mortgages, student loans and KIDS. They all create heavy financial obstacles preventing the american man from going abroad. Add that with ignorance, thinking USA is #1 then of course they're going to die here miserable. I may be generalizing a bit
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Re: Stay in the USA and Work Till You are 80

Post by pete98146 »

OutWest wrote:In my visit to the USA, the wisdom of my having located abroad is validated nearly every day.

Outwest
It's sad because your average American is NOT willing to move overseas and take a reduction in living style. I say home is where the heart is. I'm positive that I'll be happy living on $1500-$2000 a month in Phils in 10 years.

"The Matrix" has already taken it's pound of flesh from me. NO WAY I give them any more of my life. This story is only sad if you don't have an exit strategy in place. If you don't then yes you WILL be working until death's doorstep.

I encourage all of readers to learn how to live frugally. Go ahead and read the "Millionaire Next Door." Learn to do without fancy $400 cell phones and accompanying $75 a month cell phone bills. Do you REALLY need it? Do you? Shit I don't even own a cell phone! Why go out and buy a new model car every 3-4 years because it's flat out stupid. I drive a 1994 Honda Civic coupe. Rip up your credit cards right now. Can't afford to pay cash? Don't buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learn to budget and live FRUGALLY. Put aside some money each month and save save save. Trust me, when you are 55 years old and break out of the Matrix, your smile will be wider than the Golden Gate Bridge.

How are you going to beat the Matrix? What's your plan?
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

pete98146 wrote:
OutWest wrote:In my visit to the USA, the wisdom of my having located abroad is validated nearly every day.

Outwest
It's sad because your average American is NOT willing to move overseas and take a reduction in living style. I say home is where the heart is. I'm positive that I'll be happy living on $1500-$2000 a month in Phils in 10 years.

"The Matrix" has already taken it's pound of flesh from me. NO WAY I give them any more of my life. This story is only sad if you don't have an exit strategy in place. If you don't then yes you WILL be working until death's doorstep.

I encourage all of readers to learn how to live frugally. Go ahead and read the "Millionaire Next Door." Learn to do without fancy $400 cell phones and accompanying $75 a month cell phone bills. Do you REALLY need it? Do you? Shit I don't even own a cell phone! Why go out and buy a new model car every 3-4 years because it's flat out stupid. I drive a 1994 Honda Civic coupe. Rip up your credit cards right now. Can't afford to pay cash? Don't buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learn to budget and live FRUGALLY. Put aside some money each month and save save save. Trust me, when you are 55 years old and break out of the Matrix, your smile will be wider than the Golden Gate Bridge.

I'm the same way, I don't own a cell phone and I STILL run a successful business by having my customers call my landline. I also own a older car and plan to buy another older car because I know how to fix them myself.

Living frugally is just awesome, because in a way, you have the same type of freedom that rich people have, where as, you can be free spirited and not have the feeling as if you are tied down to anything.

It's the people in the middle that really suffer, all the people who make from 20-100k but they have 3 kids, 2 dogs, a mortgage, and tons of necessary/unnecessary bills.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

well-informed wrote:Things like mortgages, student loans and KIDS. They all create heavy financial obstacles preventing the american man from going abroad. Add that with ignorance, thinking USA is #1 then of course they're going to die here miserable. I may be generalizing a bit

Yea, I just don't get it why men OR women sign up for the American dream anymore:

250-300k+ for a house? It's just a bunch of wood, nails, glue and glass that was configured in such a upscale way to make you feel that it's worth that amount.

30k for a kids collage education? The same information can be learned for free at a library or online.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Northamericanguy wrote:
well-informed wrote:Things like mortgages, student loans and KIDS. They all create heavy financial obstacles preventing the american man from going abroad. Add that with ignorance, thinking USA is #1 then of course they're going to die here miserable. I may be generalizing a bit

Yea, I just don't get it why men OR women sign up for the American dream anymore:

250-300k+ for a house? It's just a bunch of wood, nails, glue and glass that was configured in such a upscale way to make you feel that it's worth that amount.

30k for a kids collage education? The same information can be learned for free at a library or online.
Many people are kicking themselves right now for buying that dream house. I'm now 40 years old. If I could re-wind and go back to age 21, I'd forget buying a house and I'd rent a cheap MH or trailer with the goal of halfing my rent vs. staying in a luxury apartment or a nice home. But we are preconditioned for some reason to buy or rent the best place that we can afford......it's sooo damned American!

Just think if I had an extra $250-$500 invested per month X 30 years. You guys do the math!! Things like this are REAL ways to ensure you don't have to work until you are 80 years old. But they fly right into the face of the way society conditions us.

For all you young guys out there, try to un-program your minds. It's hard because it's not the socially acceptable way to live. But who's the boss? Is it you or is it the Matrix? Unfortunately it's not a question that many Americans are unwilling to ask themselves.

Ok, I'll step off my soapbox now...lol. But it is important stuff to ponder. You young guys can learn from our mistakes!!!
Last edited by pete98146 on May 1st, 2012, 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

pete98146 wrote:
Northamericanguy wrote:

Many people are kicking themselves right now for buying that dream house. I'm now 49 years old. If I could re-wind and go back to age 21, I'd forget buying a house and I'd rent a cheap MH or trailer with the goal of halfing my rent vs. staying in a luxury apartment or a nice home. But we are preconditioned for some reason to buy or rent the best place that we can afford......it's sooo damned American!

Just think if I had an extra $250-$500 invested per month X 30 years. You guys do the math!! Things like this are REAL ways to ensure you don't have to work until you are 80 years old. But they fly right into the face of the way society conditions us.

For all you young guys out there, try to un-program your minds. It's hard because it's not the socially acceptable way to live. But who's the boss? Is it you or is it the Matrix? Unfortunately it's not a question that many Americans are willing to ask themselves.

Ok, I'll step off my soapbox now...lol. But it is important stuff to ponder. You young guys can learn from our mistakes!!!

Personally, even if I hit the lottery, I would get a low rent apartment... What is the use of a high cost house, anyway? Too much house for me personally...
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Thanks Pete, I'm 20 and i have to plan accordingly to set myself up to be happier abroad :)

For an american man to have a frugal lifestyle, you better hope your wife is right by your side all the way. Not being materialistic and all
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

pete98146 wrote:
Northamericanguy wrote:

But we are preconditioned for some reason to buy or rent the best place that we can afford......it's sooo damned American!
It's worse then that, Americans view a home as some kind of "investment" because they assume it will build equity, so they buy the most expensive home that their lender will approve them for and HOPE their earnings will increase along the way. Some make it, but for others all it took was a sickness, death, or job loss to cause everything to collapse.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

pete98146 wrote:

Outwest

Pete-

For those guys who can benefit, that is the question- what's your plan? I have worked to keep
my overhead very low if need be. My house is paid for and has taxes of about $100 per year.
I designed it myself, it is modest, low profile and solid, about 2000 sq. ft all on one level, with a
beautiful garden courtyard and so called dirty kitchen. Its a perfect retirement house as it is.
We have tropical fruit growing around the house. I get a variety of fish delivered a couple of
times per week. It is quiet and laid back. I don't think I could accomplish this same thing in the USA
even with a large budget, let alone the 70k I put into this place.

My point is, you can do this. Pick your spot and build your little fort. It is possible. Don't wait
till you are too old to enjoy it!

Outwest
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

That's awesome Outwest! I probably could have done something like that in the Philippines, but I didn't take best advantage of the opportunity. Now I am in China where it is equally possible in many of the small towns here, and possibly cheaper. I am looking for, more than anything now, freedom. This means the ability to chart my own course, and be captain of my own ship. I can buy a nice place outright for $25 - $35 K out here in some areas, and build a modest online business doing something I really love.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I don't mind working till I am whatever age, I like to stay active. What I do not like doing is working in a field that I do not enjoy. My mom is 76 and she is working, but she paints pictures and sells them. That is work alright but artists never retire. That is what I would like to be doing. Either art or writing. Not at MacDonald's or anything like that.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I heard a statistic that said 87% of Americans retire at or below the poverty level! WTF? :shock:

That's pretty sad for a country that is supposed to be the most prosperous in the world! :roll:
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

jamesbond wrote:I heard a statistic that said 87% of Americans retire at or below the poverty level! WTF? :shock:

That's pretty sad for a country that is supposed to be the most prosperous in the world! :roll:
What they forget to mention is that it is also very expensive along with "prosperous". And who said it was the most prosperous? Only the US educational system and media keep trumpeting that.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

ladislav wrote:I don't mind working till I am whatever age, I like to stay active. What I do not like doing is working in a field that I do not enjoy. My mom is 76 and she is working, but she paints pictures and sells them. That is work alright but artists never retire. That is what I would like to be doing. Either art or writing. Not at MacDonald's or anything like that.
+1