Smile or Die

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Smile or Die

Post by Think Different »

This video says so much about the delusion of greatness and "positive thinking", so prevalent in the US:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWW ... r_embedded
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Don't you mean Smile AND Die!?

That was a great representation of the US mental state.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

This video speaks the truth, people in America give off a false cheerfulness no matter what is going on in their lives. And no matter who you walk up to people give off a instant smile to try to fool you into thinking that they enjoy their life, and that their life is full of fun and pleasure.

Also, in American culture you're not allowed to express anger, unhappiness or genuine sadness. For example, I have been to funerals and such where a person was constantly bothered to stop crying, not in a mean way but just they would not leave them alone and let the person cry.
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

I notice this a lot at work. People I don't even know say "SMILE!" when I walk by them. Oftentimes I'm not even in a bad mood when it happens, just *focused* on my job. Pisses me the f**k off. :evil:

I have never been able to tolerate forced smiling and cheerfulness, whenever I try to do it I feel like my soul is being violated and it annoys the f**k out of me when others do it.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Forgot to tell you guys:

About a year ago, I met a young woman from Israel who was a professional photographer.

She said, she HATED taking family portraits of American families because they force their smiles and they're so fake. She said when she takes pictures of Israelis nobody smiles but it's more real/authentic.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

I agree. Ever since High School many years ago, people have been coming up to me telling me to *SMILE*. It is annoying. First, I want to know WHAT IS THERE TO SMILE ABOUT? Good morning? Uh huh. How about you leave me alone to my thoughts? :roll: