Check out the diet plan that Steve Neese recommended to me below, which worked for him. This was written by him, and follows a strategy of low carbs and high fat. What do you think? Is the solution to weight loss really all about eating less carbs and more fat?
It took many years to finally figure out what works. My friends and I averaged a loss of 30-40lbs and kept it off for many years now. My mother was the first one to come across this plan. It is most similar to the Atkins or S. beach plan but still a little different. Ironically, and to a testament of this plan, we are thinner now at our older age than we ever have been in our lives. We all did it WITHOUT EXERCISING. When I was younger, I worked out like crazy, weight lifting running, pick up basketball, etc. etc. I still had a beer belly! Now I realize, ITS PRETTY MUCH ALL DIET! My 72 yr old mother lost 40 lbs too without a bit of exercise. Exercise canít hurt of course and may speed up the weight loss.
I believe that for some people, metabolisms can be slower than in others, hence it will make it harder for some to lose weight despite following a plan. But here is what we did and what FINALLY worked for us.
In a nutshell, this diet is a HIGH FAT and LOW CARBS. So far, despite years of this diet, my blood work shows a extremely healthy cholesterol levels. I eat nothing but high fat foods. i.e. bacon, high fat Soups, and fatty steaks! The naysayers who say that high fat diet will ruin your health are wrong to focus on that because Id rather risk the supposed cholesterol build up risk than be overweight and risk being diabetic and obese!! I would take the high cholesterol (if it was a given on this diet) over diabetes and obesity trade off any day. I have read that cholesterol levels of overweight people are higher than those who are thin and eat a very high fat diet. Our bodies can handle fat because man has always eaten fat. We cannot handle this recent (last 30 years) change of eating these foods that are man made/altered such as processed carbs (sugars) and additives.
The MOTTO for this diet is "if the caveman did not eat it, you donít eat it". This means avoid foods that man has altered!! Really, if you follow this motto with every food choice, you are following this diet plan. No need to calorie count or any bothersome calculations of planning out meals. Anything man altered will cause weight gain! Americans were thin up until the last 40 years. Why? Think about it. Its not because modern technology has allowed us t o walk less. Its because of the explosion of Fast food and man alteration of grocery store foods which started about 40 years ago and has increased over time. Cereal, white rice, spaghetti, bread, soft drinks, Fast foods, are these are examples of UNNATURAL Processed foods and will cause you weight gain. Think about it, the cave men and the American diet prior to the 60ís did not have all this fast food and processed food garbage. Thatís the only conclusion one can draw. And, Americanís portion sizes have grown over time too.
Expect 2 lbs weight loss per week if you follow this plan correctly.
1. NO CARBS!!!!!! - Try to avoid carbs as much as possible. Natural carbs of fruits and veggies are not so bad but still be careful with them also. If you must have carbs such as OJ, milk, bread, yogurts etc , cheat only in the mornings when you have a chance to burn it all off.
2. HIGH FAT - I FINALLY lost weight when I went to a high fat regime. I eat only meats. For example, bacon 3 days a week, FATTY steaks 3 nights a week.
3. PORTION CONTROL - Understand this one thing, your stomach will shrink as you start cutting down the portion sizes. At first you will be hungry only a few hours a later when eating smaller portions. But over time, the same small portion will last you more and more hours before you are hungry again! You will adjust to eating less and less in time. My eyes were opened when I traveled overseas to the Philippines and Latin America. Foreigners eat about 1/3 the portion size that Americans are used to eating. I go to any hamburger place like Chucks burgers and Iím absolutely shocked to see what most Americans eat. I see the average person eating a entire burger, with fries or onion rings, and a coke and or a chocolate malt and then dessert, all in one sitting!!! You absolutely cannot do that!!! Myself, when I go to a hamburger joint (or any restaurant for that matter), I eat half the hamburger and have water or half water and half lemonade as my drink.
4. FAST FOOD - Noooooooo WAY! My best friend was the fast food king. He said he didnít even do my diet at first but all he did was cut out fast food and he immediately lost 15 pounds from that alone within 1 month. Fast food is EVIL! Trust me on this. DONT DO IT!! Iíll make one exception - most fast food breakfast items are not very altered (how can you alter an egg?) and do not have forced calories. For example, I do eat jack in the box supreme crescent a few days a week and I feel it does not harm me. Maybe itís because I eat it early in the day so it burns off?
5. EAT ONLY WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY - Eat till you are satisfied, not till you are full. NEVER eat to fullness!! Most Americans habitually eat till they are full. BAD BAD BAD!!
6. TAKE THE OTHER HALF HOME - When going out to eat, I almost always eat half and take the other half home. This also saves money and spreads out the meals to more often with smaller portions. I love left-overs anyways because I save money and donít have to leave the house to eat.
7. NO COKES OR SUGAR DRINKS - My trick is when I go out to eat, I do 1/4 lemonade and 3/4 water. It satisfied my taste buds just fine. The good thing is that the water button is always on the same tab as the lemonade, so I order water and just add some lemonade, they never notice and I doubt they would care if I sneak a little lemonade into my water. Be careful of milk, it has almost as much sugar as coke does!!! Also, all diet sodas are theorized to cause weight gain! Google it and you will see the articles. Avoid DIET SODAS unless your only alternative is the evil sugary sodas.
8. LATE NIGHTS SNACKS IF HUNGRY before bedtime - We all know that eating before sleeping is a huge sin. BUT, Iím one of those types who cannot fall asleep if I am hungry. So, I eat Cheese and crackers. Cheese is very filling and you will not gain weight eating cheese. I feel I lose weight with cheese. Iíve read many articles on the internet that say cheese helps lose fat. I believe it 100%! I will eat a small portion of cheese and crackers for my late night snack. Cheese is EXTREMELY FILLING due to the fat content. You wonít feel hungry for many hours after eating a little cheese. I also will dig into 2-3 table spoons of peanut butter and a little jelly on top (skip the bread if possible, just use a spoon) with half a banana for my late night snack and it does not cause me weight gain. Peanut butter has a ton of fat which is why it satisfies hunger for a very long period of time. Bananas may be full of sugar but they are not so bad because they are NATURAL sugars, not the man made processed white sugars. Bananas will keep you full a long time too. Half a banana and a few spoonfuls of Peanut butter satisfies the late night sweet tooth without the weight gain.
9. EATING PATTERN - Do not think of eating as separated into breakfast , lunch, and dinner. Change your mindset to eating only when hungry and eating small portions. Just eat when hungry.
10. SOUP - Soup is very filling usually due to its fat content. I can eat a bowl of soup, especially hearty soups like potato soup, and I find it will hold me over for 5-6 hours!! Fat does not turn into fat in your body, but CARBS DO, especially mad made altered carbs like simple sugars ( i.e. wonder bread, cereals, donuts , sphagetti -all these are man made, not natural).
1. Breakfast - Eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, oatmeal with brown sugar, Supreme crescent at jack in the box seems to be ok. On weekends I go to La MAdelien and order their champiagne breakfast crepe. I eat half and take the other half home! I ask for extra helpings of the mushroom sauce (no charge) that they use there so often because it is full of fat and is tasty! Fat fills you up without weight gain. You last longer between meals. I may cheat and have their very small lemon cake (its the size of about 3 fingers) to satisfy my sweet tooth.
2. Dinner/Evening meal - small portions!! Foreigners are SHOCKED when they come to the US and see how much we eat in one setting
1). Rib eye steaks (I like the fatty ones as they taste better and fat keeps me full longer, staves off hunger) Load up a bunch of the ribeyes in the freezer so its convenient to defrost as needed. I eat only HALF of the steak at all times. NEVER eat 1 steak in one sitting!!! PORTION CONTROL!!!
2.) Home-made meaty spaghetti sauce without the spahgetti. I throw in meat, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, ....it makes a pretty hearty meal. I make a big batch and freeze it.Take it out as I need it. I may eat the equivalent of 7 table spoons for my dinner. if I get hungry again after that, I resort to snacks (see below)
3. )Turkey sandwich - despite the carbs in bread, a little bread wont kill ya, its all about limiting carbs as best as you can. No diet is worth doing if you cant continue it over the log term
4.) Tuna melt with mayonnaise (the cheese and mayo are high fat and hold you over a long time)
5.) Fish - Prepackage frozen talapia or salmon.
6) Pizza without eating the crust. Yes, as bizarre as it seems, I scrape the top off with my teeth
and leave most of the crust behind.
7.) Chipolte is very good for this diet as long as you leave out the sour cream (sour crŤme is man made and full of calories) Chipolte does not alter the food or ruin it with salts, MSG, or other weight gain causing additives etc. Chipolte is not really fast food as we know it. CHipolte is cheap $6.75 will make two meals if you follow the small portion per setting plan. Thats a bargain!
Sonny Bryanís or any TX Barbecue place is great. They offer all kinds of meats to choose from and meat is a major part of the eating natural foods plan. The serving sizes at Barbecue places tends to be quite large such that it is easy to take the other half home
Chucks burgers, fudruckers, and other more upscale non fast food burger joints offer a great alternative to fast food. There they cook their burgers naturally. Just donít forget to try to only eat half there and take the other half home.
Vietnamese restraunts are known to serve natural foods of all kinds. The chinese restraunts arenít so much that way. Chinese restraunts often convert their food into fast food type ingredients. Be careful what you choose, go as natural as possible if you go Chinese. The Vietnamese restraunts are very different and are the best choice of the two. .
*MISC SIDES - I add in peas, corn, no sugar apple sauce, peaches ... whatever you like to add as side items to go with steaks and fish.
3. Snacks - anytime I get hungry outside of breakfast and dinner - I eat crackers and cheese or crackers and dip. My favorite is Tom thumb's/Kroger's cajun seafood dip. Its a thick hearty cheese and fish dip. Both cheese and fish is what we like in this diet! I can have 3 crackers loaded with this dip and it will last me 3-4 hours easily! SNACKS are good cause they are SMALL PORTIONS!
Cheating with sweets is ok and is expected with any diet that must last a lifetime. Its ok as long as its occasional, in small amounts, and in small sizes.
On a side note - We donít realize how little it takes for us to get by food wise. American culture teaches us that we need these big a** meals. Itís so WRONG!! Itís why we are so obese!!! Live like the foreigners do, eat very small portions each time you eat! Go overseas and watch what they eat, you will see.
I was inspired when I watched the history channel's special on the Rugbee players that crashed in the Andes in chili in 1972. Most of you will know this story. I think they survived 2 months on limited food, mostly eating their fellow crash vicvtims flesh in small doses as they journeyed 60 miles over frozen mountain tops. When they got to the basin plains and saw the greenery of the plants and grass, they said they thought they made it to a smorgasboard. LOL. Think about that! We donít need much to live! At the end of the documentary, these guys said many times "life is so simple, you donít need much to live". They are so correct!!. The key is that most Americans have grown up used to eating large portions. Parents teach kids to finish their plates (SO WRONG! Its Teaching kids they need to finish whatís in front of them, then they go to our American restaurants and fast foods joints that serve up HUGE portions and the kids grow up feeling they need to finish it all in one sitting!) But if you keep trying to gradually lessen your portion sizes (which is easy to do when you convert to high fat foods that keep you filled longer), you will notice you will not get hungry like before. I do believe the stomach shrinks or something like that because friends who have been successful on this diet do report being able to get by more and more hours on less and less food.
TIP - It is proven that a coffee a day will increase your metabolism by 15%!! Have your coffee and visualize the caffeine burning away your fat. I believe that visualizing yourself losing weight on this plan somehow works. There is proof out there that visualization actually works. Think yourself thinner as you make these changes!
EAT LIKE A FOREIGNER - VERY SMALL PORTIONS
EAT LIKE A CAVEMAN - ONLY NATURAL FOODS THAT MAN HAS NOT MESSED WITH
DO NOT EAT TILL FULL! Eat till hunger is SATISFIED. There is a huge difference. You will not be successful unless you realize this difference!
Last edited by Winston on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Happier Abroad Grand Ebook
Meet Foreign Women
"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell