Sexual Economics: Sex as Female Resource for Social Exchange

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
DarrenFW
Freshman Poster

Sexual Economics: Sex as Female Resource for Social Exchange

Post by DarrenFW »

http://www.csom.umn.edu/Assets/71503.pdf

These are some highlights quoted from the article above. NOTE: I am not the author, merely quoting their work.

- In this article,
we place sexual negotiations in the context of a cultural
system in which men and women play different roles
resembling buyer and seller—in a marketplace that is
ineluctably affected by the exchanges between other
buyers and sellers.

- Put another way, cultural systems
will tend to endow female sexuality with value, whereas
male sexuality is treated by society as relatively
worthless. As a result, sexual intercourse by itself is not
an equal exchange, but rather an instance of the man
getting something of value from the woman. To make
the exchange equal, the man must give her something
else in return and his own sexual participation does not
have enough value to constitute this. How much he
gives her in terms of nonsexual resources will depend
on the price (so to speak) set by the local culture and on
her relative standing on valued sexual characteristics.

- The Local Sexual Marketplace
Most theories of sex have acknowledged that local
norms exist to guide behavior, and even that people are
curious to learn about the sex acts of others as a way of
learning what those norms are. The exchange theory
endows those norms with much greater power and importance,
however. One crucial feature of the social exchange
analysis is that all the sexual activities within a
community are loosely interconnected as part of a sexual
marketplace.

-The social exchange analysis emphasizes that sex is
a female resource, so that men must offer women other
resources in exchange for it. But how much? The price
of sex (so to speak) may vary widely. To commence a
sexual relationship with a particular woman, a man
may have to offer her a fancy dinner, or a long series of
compliments, or a month of respectful attention, or a
lifetime promise to share all his wealth and earnings
with her exclusively. This price is negotiated between
the two individuals in the context of the prices that
other, similar couples set.

-Because much sexual activity is conducted in secret,
there is likely to be considerable ambiguity about
what the actual norms are. Another prediction is therefore
that men and women will seek to convey different
impressions. Men would be likely to try to create the
impression that many couples are having sex at a low
price. Women are more likely to emphasize that sex is
unusual outside of serious, committed relationships.
Male conversation may feature and exaggerate sexual
activity, whereas female conversation should conceal
and understate sex.

Patterns of sexual activity should change drastically
with the balance between supply and demand, such as
the sex ratio. When the pool of eligible women (i.e.,
young, unattached female adults) is much larger than
the pool of eligible men, supply can be said to exceed
demand. The price will therefore drop, which means
that men will be able to obtain sex without giving or
promising much in return. In contrast, a shortage of eligible
women relative to men means that demand outstrips
supply, and so the price is likely to be high. Thus,
contrary to any simple view that power in the marketplace
depends on having a majority, the price of sex
will tend to favor the minority gender. More precisely,
men will give women more resources for sex when
men outnumber women than when women outnumber
men.
Check out my Blog and Website!
http://www.goglobaldating.com

Features FREE ebook, forum and good articles.
http://goglobaldating.com/forum/
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Interesting article, thanks should be a good read
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Glad that's not true in Asia. Certainly not true in Philippines. When an ugly homeless bum can get sex, it definitely has no value. (Actually, in Philippines, girls want babies, so the male sex has value.)
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
DarrenFW
Freshman Poster

Post by DarrenFW »

The_Adventurer wrote:Glad that's not true in Asia. Certainly not true in Philippines. When an ugly homeless bum can get sex, it definitely has no value. (Actually, in Philippines, girls want babies, so the male sex has value.)
Did you read the article? Look at the columns of table 1.

In the Philippines, there are:
more women (more sellers)
women in lower economic strata jobs (web cam girls, etc.)
prostitution (decreases value of sex)
men of lower economic value vs. rich foreigners (raises foreigner's value and since they are scarce will drive the price of sex lower)
more acceptable sexual practices and norms (the market price for sex is less)

Now compare this to the United States where there is a virtual cartel (just like the article talks about if you would read it), the U.S. has high status women (on par with men), more buiyers (men), less sellers (women), less prostitution, and the entire U.S. market is resembles our Puritan roots ... except that we don't believe in God anymore.

I don't see how you can refute this. Its pretty cut and dry.
Check out my Blog and Website!
http://www.goglobaldating.com

Features FREE ebook, forum and good articles.
http://goglobaldating.com/forum/
Hook
Freshman Poster

Post by Hook »

In some ways it makes sense.

How does it mesh with the PUA theory that buying women lots of stuff lowers your social value? In essence you are indicating you have no intrinsic value since you have to "buy" love.

Also, how do these dynamics play out in jr. high and high school where almost no one has any resources of their own? Girls seem to have relationships with guys based on nothing but them, not what the guy can buy them.
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

This is where I agree that you have to be frugal in some situations with women when it comes to dating them for the long term. Especially in America where sex is so monopolized

Women biologically want 2 types of men which is the rich-sugar daddy(material needs) and the alpha man(genes). Most men in this world don't fit in either category let alone both at the same time.

The sugar-daddy doesn't get her horny but it still satisfies her need for money. This is where I agree with Winston being frugal with filipinas because they'll use you like and ATM machine if you let them.

This is why women are such leeches by nature because after the alpha men are done f***ing them and leave them with a kid then they want to run back to the safe secure nice guy that they rejected in their 20's. Bunch of hypocrites are what most women are

As far as high school relationships, the guys that are alpha are the ones that are going to get the girls. Girls are going to be swayed by their emotions and poindexter isnt gonna give her those emotions in school. I was one of those popular guys in school that noticed how cruel girls can be those nice humble guys
Truthville
Freshman Poster

Post by Truthville »

Good read!

BUT isn't because men place no price on their own sexuality(sleeping around, trying to get as many woman as possible, obsessing on sex, media/cultural instruction) that it's woman whom control the marketplace?

What if men woke up and decided that their sexuality had a price? What if woman were the ones whom had to "buy" sex from men? After all, excluding the practice of "sperm banks," which IMHO are a HUGE contributing factor to the sorry state of male/female power imbalances in this country AND any man whom gives away his "seed" for a few dollars is nothing more than a demented fool, it's woman whom NEED men in order to fulfill their dreams of children.

I have always found it odd and quite sad how many men have allowed themselves to be conditioned into nothing more than knuckle-dragging morons when it comes to their own sexuality.
"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: "I am a wretchedly longstanding victim;therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition."

"It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised."
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

Because prostitution is legal here in Mexico, men here see no reason whatsoever to give into any insane demands. Very few Mexican women would be able to make the same demands that American women do and still get a man; most men here would either go to a prostitute or find a woman who demands less.

The lack of prostitution in the US is a very interesting point. Because men don't have a (legal) way of obtaining sex for cash, women have a monopoly on sexual relations and can make any demand they want, since the men have no choice but to give in.

I am 100% against using prostitutes, but I still believe prostitution should be legal. Why is it illegal to charge for something you can give away for free? Sex is the ONLY thing in the United States that you can give away for free, but can't charge for.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Hook wrote:
in jr. high and high school where almost no one has any resources of their own? Girls seem to have relationships with guys based on nothing but them, not what the guy can buy them
Not true. Guys do have resources in high school/ Jr high; they get it from their parents who provide it for them, and at the high school level you don't even need much to impress a woman, because, at that level, their standards are more realistic and simple.

For example, a guy could have a Ford Mustang/Honda Civic (cool cheap car) and 80 dollars a week in allowance, and that's all he needs to attract and secure a girlfriend.

Or on the other hand, you could be poor like I was in HS, but good at sports to the point where it made you very popular. That popularity could be then used to attract and secure one of the top high status girls like I did.

All bets are off as we all move up in the ranks ( graduate collage) because now you're competing with other males in the WORLD and the demands of what women want to impress them increases exponentially as they are exposed to what other women have.
Last edited by NorthAmericanguy on October 29th, 2011, 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

well-informed wrote:
As far as high school relationships, the guys that are alpha are the ones that are going to get the girls. Girls are going to be swayed by their emotions and poindexter isnt gonna give her those emotions in school. I was one of those popular guys in school that noticed how cruel girls can be those nice humble guys
Before I become popular in sports I tried to get with this one girl in HS but she cruelly turned me down for the more mature looking guys who were more experienced and badboyish.

Ha, well, TODAY I know for a fact she is single with 2 kids and lonely. I found out from a dating website where she posted her listing after looking up her odd name. I thought it was so funny, this b*** in HS had her way with guys, but now today she's stuck with kids and she's lonely.

I also know of one other woman around the age of 30 in the same boat, she's a stressed out teacher with two kids by two different men (both men LEFT her) who is desperately looking to get married. She too, because I knew her, CHOSE the unstable badboy type of guys when she was younger. She would get pissy drunk with her girls and get screwed by guys from the university football team.

lol, I called the said woman on the phone out of the blue after a few years and the first thing she asked me (since she knew I was single) is if I wanted to get married. I said no, and about a few more minutes into the conversation the b**** hung the phone up on me and never again returned my calls or messages ever again. HA, all I can do is laugh.....
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

AmericanInMexico wrote:Because prostitution is legal here in Mexico, men here see no reason whatsoever to give into any insane demands. Very few Mexican women would be able to make the same demands that American women do and still get a man; most men here would either go to a prostitute or find a woman who demands less.

The lack of prostitution in the US is a very interesting point. Because men don't have a (legal) way of obtaining sex for cash, women have a monopoly on sexual relations and can make any demand they want, since the men have no choice but to give in.

I am 100% against using prostitutes, but I still believe prostitution should be legal. Why is it illegal to charge for something you can give away for free? Sex is the ONLY thing in the United States that you can give away for free, but can't charge for.
Excellent post.
leavingusa
Freshman Poster

Post by leavingusa »

Hook wrote:In some ways it makes sense.

How does it mesh with the PUA theory that buying women lots of stuff lowers your social value? In essence you are indicating you have no intrinsic value since you have to "buy" love.

Also, how do these dynamics play out in jr. high and high school where almost no one has any resources of their own? Girls seem to have relationships with guys based on nothing but them, not what the guy can buy them.
High school relationships are based mostly on social status since economics really isn't in play at that point. Alpha guys get all the girls, works the same way after except when the clock starts ticking or if they need money they look for guys to exploit financially.

Buying stuff for women does lower your social value, women don't enjoy f***ing their provider husbands and never did. They did it to survive because once that was the only way. In the present legal climate she can get the husbands money and refuse him sex so she does. Once your money runs out she is gone.

Having high social status is how you get women to want to have sex with you. If you want women to love you, give you sex whenever you want and take care of you become a musician or something like that. You won't need money anymore you can crash with your fans and f**k them.

I think it all boils down to high social status and alpha behavior, guys that just do whatever they want and f**k all with the consequences - or guys that other women want. When you get more exposure you become more appealing whereas the guy sitting in the cubicle has next to no appeal.

One major reason for this has to do with society's values and who we choose to glorify. You'll notice if you tell a western woman you work in IT she'll probably make a face whereas an asian girl might think it's just fine. It all has to do with the values she was raised with.In america it's all about celebrities, athletes and entertainers. Guys who most fit those molds even if they're wannabees get more girls. Normal responsible guys are pathetic losers unless her clock is ticking and he has wads of cash for her to plunder. Otherwise she will probably ignore him.

You'll also notice that if you dress like a popular sterotype like a Jersey shore douche all tatted up you'll get girls interest. whereas if you wear generic clothing you wont. It's because she can tell her friends yeah he's so cool he plays guitar in a band and he looks just like so and so on TV.

Its all about social status but not the way you or I might naturally think of it, it's a more childish and trivial version. More like "my boyfriend has cool tats and don't take shit fom no one!"