Are full page ads interfering with your viewing this site?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Winston
Site Admin

Are full page ads interfering with your viewing this site?

Post by Winston »

Dear all,
Recently I set up full page ads from adbrite to be shown on my site and forum, but only once every six hours per user, and after 5 page views. So it shouldn't interfere with viewing my website or forum very much, since you'll only see the full page ad once every 6 hours and you can always click "Skip Ad" if you don't like it.

However, one forum poster told me it was f***ing up his computer and that the ad would appear every time he tried to log in, not just once every 6 hours, and that he couldn't get rid of the ad.

Has anyone else here had that same experience? Or do you get past the ad easily by clicking "Skip Ad"? When I view my site, it does come up only once every six hours, however it appears after the first or second page view, not after five page views like I set it to through adbrite. Maybe their system has a bug, I don't know.

I just wanted to see if they were giving anyone any trouble, even though they help me make a little money.

Thanks,
Winston
LukeSkywalker
Freshman Poster

Re: Are full page ads interfering with your viewing this sit

Post by LukeSkywalker »

WWu777 wrote:Dear all,
Recently I set up full page ads from adbrite to be shown on my site and forum, but only once every six hours per user, and after 5 page views. So it shouldn't interfere with viewing my website or forum very much, since you'll only see the full page ad once every 6 hours and you can always click "Skip Ad" if you don't like it.

However, one forum poster told me it was f***ing up his computer and that the ad would appear every time he tried to log in, not just once every 6 hours, and that he couldn't get rid of the ad.

Has anyone else here had that same experience? Or do you get past the ad easily by clicking "Skip Ad"? When I view my site, it does come up only once every six hours, however it appears after the first or second page view, not after five page views like I set it to through adbrite. Maybe their system has a bug, I don't know.

I just wanted to see if they were giving anyone any trouble, even though they help me make a little money.

Thanks,
Winston
Winston, trust me, not only are they bothering people, they are more likely than not causing you to LOSE money from your other ads, since they are undoubtedly driving people away from the site. They are showing up WAY more than every 6 hours, and are a huge pain in the you-know-what.
sharpbws
Freshman Poster

Re: Are full page ads interfering with your viewing this sit

Post by sharpbws »

LukeSkywalker wrote:
WWu777 wrote:Dear all,
Winston, trust me, not only are they bothering people, they are more likely than not causing you to LOSE money from your other ads, since they are undoubtedly driving people away from the site. They are showing up WAY more than every 6 hours, and are a huge pain in the you-know-what.
I agree. They're a HUGE pain-in-the-ass and will actually reduce your list traffic and COST you revenue. In the case of pop-ups, more is DEFINITELY NOT better.

Get them off the site Winston. Get a frickin' job like normal people do if you want to increase your revenue.
:-)
Brad
busybear33
Freshman Poster

Post by busybear33 »

Brad,

I know have good intentions, but Winston Wu is almost 40 years old. We remain unsure of the future.

Busybear
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

busybear33 wrote:Brad,

I know have good intentions, but Winston Wu is almost 40 years old. We remain unsure of the future.

Busybear
W: I'm 34 you dumbfuck, and if you checked my bio, you'd know that. Stop the lies and misinformation or else I'm going to have to ban you. It's too much hassle trying to correct your stupid little mistakes.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I read your opinions about the full page ads. But since I implemented them, my website traffic and hits have not shown any decrease. And they've helped me make a bit more money. I don't know why they are showing more than once every 6 hours though. I'll ask customer support about it. As long as they come on only once every 6 hours or 12 hours, it shouldn't be much of a bother right?

We all gotta do whatever we can to make money.

Is there any job you know of that doesn't make you feel like a slave, Brad?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

By the way Brad, your Russian Bride List Yahoo Groups also show full page ads every other time you view a post. But that never caused any problems right?
LukeSkywalker
Freshman Poster

Post by LukeSkywalker »

WWu777 wrote:I read your opinions about the full page ads. But since I implemented them, my website traffic and hits have not shown any decrease. And they've helped me make a bit more money. I don't know why they are showing more than once every 6 hours though. I'll ask customer support about it. As long as they come on only once every 6 hours or 12 hours, it shouldn't be much of a bother right?
Ultimately it's up to you, not us. What you generally want to do on forums though is you want to build a forum community. One even larger than what you have here now. Ads like that tend to drive people away from the forum and prevent that from happening. You are getting X amount of traffic now, but potentially you could have X + Y amount of traffic if you are able to build up a good forum community. Which would ultimately lead to you getting more money through people clicking on the regular ads than what you are getting now with the existing level of traffic and the full page ads.
Winston wrote: Is there any job you know of that doesn't make you feel like a slave, Brad?
I can answer that question, and the answer is yes. I have been a diehard workaholic since the day I was born. I remember when I walked into my first job when I was 17, and it was fixing computer problems. But they had such a shortage of technical and scientific skill that I found myself not only fixing computer problems, but writing computer programs, fixing chemical glaze formulas (I worked at a great big fine art tile/pottery factory/studio ), tracking down chemical contaminants, conducting experiments, any technical problem you could imagine got piled up on my desk for me to solve. I had this job every summer for 3 years and I had my ego stroked over and over again at least 10 times a day by various people for fixing all their problems.

Now when I get out of college when I get a permanent job it's going to be either working at an artificial intelligence lab or it's going to be as a statistical Data Analyst or it's going to be as a computer programmer (but not just some grunt computer programmer mind you, I'm talking about serious computer programming for a software company.) My advisor and I are still talking about which one of those three it will be.

And let me tell you I absolutely cannot wait. I can do what I want to do, and I can get some time off two weeks a year, maybe even four weeks a year to go to the Philippines with you Wu and to do whatever the hell I want, and to hell with the Wu-bashers or anyone else who would stop me.
sharpbws
Freshman Poster

Post by sharpbws »

WWu777 wrote:I read your opinions about the full page ads. But since I implemented them, my website traffic and hits have not shown any decrease. And they've helped me make a bit more money. I don't know why they are showing more than once every 6 hours though. I'll ask customer support about it. As long as they come on only once every 6 hours or 12 hours, it shouldn't be much of a bother right?
Why are you asking us? We've already given you our opinion. Rephrasing the question because the answer you received isn't the one you wanted to hear won't change our original opinion one bit
Even though you know it inconveniences your subscribers and generally tends to turn them off and causes them to use the site less and less, of course. Who cares about their opinion, feelings or how much they feel put out so long as you make $.005 each time they log on to the webpage.

Most people get a frickin' job if they need money Winston.
Accepting the responsibnility of a job is part of growing up Winston. You have a girlfriend and child than need your support. Does having a job mean you can't do exactly what you want to do when you want to do it? Of course. Again it's part of growing up and accepting responsibility for yourself and others; something you definitely need to do Winston.
Last edited by sharpbws on February 23rd, 2008, 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brad
sharpbws
Freshman Poster

Post by sharpbws »

WWu777 wrote:By the way Brad, your Russian Bride List Yahoo Groups also show full page ads every other time you view a post. But that never caused any problems right?
Sorry, not my group Winston. To my knowledge, none of the yahoogroups show full page ads. The ads are at the top of the pages.
Brad
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

sharpbws wrote:
WWu777 wrote:By the way Brad, your Russian Bride List Yahoo Groups also show full page ads every other time you view a post. But that never caused any problems right?
Sorry, not my group Winston. To my knowledge, none of the yahoogroups show full page ads. The ads are at the top of the pages.
W: Brad, I've used YahooGroups for years and they do show full page ads when you read posts or write posts through the Yahoo Groups site. I've seen them for years there, and I am not imagining it.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

sharpbws wrote:
Why are you asking us? We've already given you our opinion. Rephrasing the question because the answer you received isn't the one you wanted to hear won't change our original opinion one bit
Even though you know it inconveniences your subscribers and generally tends to turn them off and causes them to use the site less and less, of course. Who cares about their opinion, feelings or how much they feel put out so long as you make $.005 each time they log on to the webpage.

Most people get a frickin' job if they need money Winston.
Accepting the responsibnility of a job is part of growing up Winston. You have a girlfriend and child than need your support. Does having a job mean you can't do exactly what you want to do when you want to do it? Of course. Again it's part of growing up and accepting responsibility for yourself and others; something you definitely need to do Winston.
W: I can get a job any time I want Brad, but I'd rather make money through my own creative efforts. That's every artist's dream. And right now, I'm experimenting with different ways. It's part of life too, and the learning process.

As to your last paragraph Brad, uh how inspiring, NOT! Sorry but telling me to "grow up" isn't going to change my behavior one bit. I have to be inspired to do something. Dumb lectures like that have no effect on me. You should know that by now. You can't instill motivation into someone by telling them to "grow up". It just goes to show that you lack people skills.

FYI, I am very grown up. I know what I want, what I can do and what I can't do. Being a slave to something I don't like is not something I can tolerate for very long. I've got to do what I love, or nothing.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to work for yourself. Many have that dream. Though it's hard, we never give up trying.

And FYI, I'm not a "normal" person, in case you haven't noticed, so don't expect me to follow whatever a "normal" person does.

In short, I live according to my beliefs and the way I want, not according to someone else's.

Besides Brad, you should credit me for even discussing this issue openly. Most people would not have, and you know it. But of course, you never like to say anything positive about me, even if I've earned it. I'm sort of a "punching bag" to you, and you know it.
busybear33
Freshman Poster

Post by busybear33 »

WWu777 wrote:
busybear33 wrote:Brad,

Busybear
W: I'm 34 you dumbfuck, and if you checked my bio, you'd know that. Stop the lies and misinformation or else I'm going to have to ban you. It's too much hassle trying to correct your stupid little mistakes.
To Winston Wu: I expected a modicum of grace regarding your response. Your situation is dire and your parents will not live forever. You must take responsibility and serve as a father and provider. You can make a living to step in a better direction.

Your critics continue to celebrate and watch your suffering. Your critics will continue to celebrate well into your older years.
LukeSkywalker
Freshman Poster

Post by LukeSkywalker »

Folks, I've heard some undue criticisms of self-employed persons recently, mostly coming from Mr. Brad Sharp and Mr. Busybear. Mr. Brad Sharp has told Winston to "get a frickin' job", and I think by that he means that he has to have an employer, and that those who are self-employed do not have "real jobs".

Well Mr. Sharp, I have news for you. All the farmers out here don't have "real jobs" according to you.* And if they all one day decided to get "real jobs" and leave what you are insinuating are "fake jobs", we'd all starve.

And being from Ohio Mr. Sharp, you should know this.

So don't you ever again insinuate that self-employed people don't have jobs. Just don't go there.

-----------------------------------------

*Well ok, some of them have had to take on employment in town recently because farming is paying less and less, but my point still stands.
sharpbws
Freshman Poster

Post by sharpbws »

LukeSkywalker wrote:Folks, I've heard some undue criticisms of self-employed persons recently, mostly coming from Mr. Brad Sharp and Mr. Busybear. Mr. Brad Sharp has told Winston to "get a frickin' job", and I think by that he means that he has to have an employer, and that those who are self-employed do not have "real jobs".

Dude you couldn't be more wrong. I'm basically self-employed myself. I work with farmers every day of the year and earn $200k per year doing it.

No. What it means is he should get an income. Winston likes to describe himself as "self-employed" but what is his income level? Basically zip, zero, nada. His dream is to try to earn a respectable income without expending even the slightest effort. It's an impossibility.

The guy has responsibilities. He's got a child. He's not meeting his responsibilities in that regard. He's 34 years old and he lives off the money his parents send him. He has sex with prostitutes without wearing a condom and then goes home and has unprotected sex with the mother of his child. He avoids every single responsibility that one would expect a man of his age to accept.

You seem like a nice kid. I can't believe you REALLY want to immulate his behavior and lifestyle?
Brad