Are we being blocked on public terminals?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Are we being blocked on public terminals?

Post by Winston »

Just got this email:
Hi Winston,

I like your forum but can't view it or post from public terminals because some of the recent posts made by some of the users have been too graphic and get the site blocked. Can you please make sure that posters who post things that are xrated have the posts removed so that the site doesn't get blocked from public terminals?

For example:

viewtopic.php?t=10696

and

viewtopic.php?p=43490

have images that are probably causing your site to get blocked.

Thanks!
What should we do about this? How do public terminals find out if we have nude pictures on here? Do they have an auto program that detects them? How is that possible?

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Winston on August 19th, 2011, 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Oh sure lets bend over for big brother now because he finds the human body inappropriate. You could just as well post a ton of more nude photos and watch the new "readers" come flooding in!.....

While I agree you should change the format of your site and reorganize the forum to get more newcomers, deleting nude pics is the last thing you should be doing. People on public terminals will face an uphill battle because of the CONTENT of your site and the sex-tourist look of much of it. They can always use a proxy to access it and tell the feminized permascouls and maginas judging them to piss off.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is his next email to me about this site being blocked on public termnals.
The whole forum is blocked from the public terminals that I use. I do have a computer at home but it is from my employer and my employer sees everything I use it for and therefore I can't use it for your website.

"What do you suggest? That I ban nude pics?"

Yes I think that would be best. Either that or have some sort of way of accessing the site from cell phones. While I realize that there might be some loss of enjoyment by some on the forum from the loss of the photos, you have to realize that anyone that uses a public terminal, such as SSJPARIS using the Starbucks connection, can't view your website when there are nude pics. Even though some public terminals might not block your site, a user can still get in trouble if a nude pic shows up. The main purpose of your site is to spread the word about the advantages of international dating, correct? There are plenty of xrated sites for those who want them. The unique quality of your site isn't the nude images it is the important message that you have. Therefore, I think you have more to gain by getting rid of the nude pics so that anyone who uses a public terminal can access your site. The most important thing should be getting your message
out to as many people as possible and if your site is blocked many people can't recieve that message.

Now one of the messages that might have gotten your site blocked was:

viewtopic.php?t=10696

In the last email, I forgot the "t="

viewtopic.php?t=10478

and

viewtopic.php?t=9719

at the 14th post by have2fly

SSJPARIS in trouble at Starbucks

viewtopic.php?t=10357

"How does your public terminal screen out nude pics? There's an automatic program that does that?"

I'm not sure how it is done. Perhaps some automatic program looks at the URLS of the links in between the

[img]and[/img] tags. Maybe some of the images odbo posted in t=10696 were from known xrated sites. That may have been why the site was banned.

Please ban the nude pics so that more users can receive your important message and discuss moving abroad.

Thanks!
I'm not sure what I can do. I can't just erase all the nude pics here, even if I wanted to. There are thousands of them spread throughout thousands of posts. There is no easy way to find them either. It's impractical.

Momopi, any ideas?

I told him to try a proxy, like http://www.hidemyass.com.

In the US, you can now get a laptop or netbook for only $200 right? Why can't he get one and use it at Starbucks or Denny's, where there is a free wifi zone?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

odbo wrote:Oh sure lets bend over for big brother now because he finds the human body inappropriate. You could just as well post a ton of more nude photos and watch the new "readers" come flooding in!.....

While I agree you should change the format of your site and reorganize the forum to get more newcomers, deleting nude pics is the last thing you should be doing. People on public terminals will face an uphill battle because of the CONTENT of your site and the sex-tourist look of much of it. They can always use a proxy to access it and tell the feminized permascouls and maginas judging them to piss off.
What do you suggest I do about the format of this site and forum that would improve it and get more newcomers?

E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

odbo wrote:Oh sure lets bend over for big brother now because he finds the human body inappropriate. You could just as well post a ton of more nude photos and watch the new "readers" come flooding in!.....

Tell them to hide my ass while you're at it. LMAO
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is the solution he proposed. What do you think? What should he do about this problem? Any suggestions for him?

Hi Winston,

Let me explain why I think your site is being blocked and a few ideas about how to get it unblocked or possible workaround solutions.

Thanks for the suggestion about the proxy. However, while that may get me past the block, I could still get in trouble if an image pops up.

Let me explain why I think the computer is now blocking your site.

1. R RATED versus X RATED

I was able to view your site from February of this year though April of this year. So therefore, something changed that has now caused your site to be flagged to be blocked. I think that the reason is that recently, some X-Rated posts have been added while before the images were all R-Rated. A woman in a bikini, and even a nude woman with her nipples and genitals covered, would probably be considered R-Rated and would not result in your site being blocked. Some of Jamesbond's avatars, for example, were R-Rated because the nipples were covered and they therefore didn't get the site blocked. However, recently some posters, such as odbo, have posted images that are X-Rated because the nipple shows or pubic hair shows. I think that this is the reason why the site is blocked. I think that if you just got rid of the X-Rated images in these 3 threads your site might be unblocked.

YOUR SITE WAS NOT BLOCKED JUST A FEW MONTHS AGO.

viewtopic.php?t=10696

viewtopic.php?t=10478

viewtopic.php?t=9719

If you edited these three threads, and instructed users to not post anything X-Rated (they can still post R-Rated stuff) in their posts or avatars, then I think that your site would eventually be unblocked as it was before. The site wasn't blocked even when Jamesbond had that dancing blonde probably because she covered her nipples.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a prude. I just don't want to get in trouble with any laws. I wish the stupid laws didn't exist. If I use the proxy, I might get past the block. But if someone sees me and the thread I'm reading has an image that is X-Rated, I could get in trouble. Using a proxy to disable the blocking could get me in more trouble as they could say that I knew the site was X-Rated and used the proxy to disable it. I wouldn't have the defense of saying that I didn't know the site was X-Rated. Also, the browser won't let me disable the images.
"Well the problem is, there are probably thousands of nude photos in
thousands of posts, and there is no easy way to find them all either."
There really are only a few of X-Rated images. Most of the images are R-Rated. Getting rid of the ones in the three threads would probably make your site R-Rated instead of X-Rated.

2. POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

I think that there are 3 possible solutions to this problem.

A. The easiest solution, and one that would work for me, would be for you to instruct users to put the capital letters "NSFW" in the title of any post that contains X-Rated images as odbo did in post 10696 and instruct users not to put X-Rated images in their avatars. You don't have to go back and get rid of the X-Rated images in the old posts because people usually only view recent threads and therefore there isn't much risk provided the problem is fixed going forward. I could just make sure not to click on any threads that started before July 1st, 2011. Then, users who don't want to risk legal problems from viewing X-Rated images can simply avoid clicking on any posts that have the letters "NSFW" in the title of the thread. While your site would still be blocked, at least I wouldn't get in trouble if I got past the block with the proxy because I'd know what threads to avoid clicking on.

B. Another solution would be to have a text only version of the website. Have a mirror site that draws from the same data that is text only.

http://www.text-only.info/

http://text-only.info/cgi-bin/textonly.pl

C. Another solution would be to give users instructions on the difference between R-Rated images and X-Rated images and simply insist that users not post any X-Rated images or have any X-Rated avatars. Just get rid of whatever images appeared in the last few months that got the site blocked and make sure no new X-Rated images appear and your site will probably be unblocked as it was in April. This is probably the best solution as it would allow more users to access the site. The NSFW solution would work for me but you would still have the problem of some users never getting to see your site in the first place. This solution would be best as more people could receive your important message.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answers to questions in your email.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Well the problem is, there are probably thousands of nude photos in
thousands of posts, and there is no easy way to find them all either.
Plus we are not sure that is the cause of your blockage. So it's not
practical for me to go in an remove them all."
----------

Yes, just fix it going forward and I think that would be ok. People rarely click on post more that a few weeks old.
There really are only a few of X-Rated images. Most of the images are
R-Rated. Getting rid of the ones in the three threads would probably
make your site R-Rated instead of X-Rated.

"Can't you find
another way?"
----------

Trying to find another way. But:
A. I can't disable the images from the browser on the public machine. The settings are fixed.
B. I'm trying to save money for the eventual trip so the $300 or so that laptops at Walmart cost would set me back in my savings goals. I'm trying to limit expenses.
C. I don't want to get in legal trouble if I click on a thread and an X-Rated image pops up without my knowing. If it says NSFW in the thread, at least then I know not to click on it and can avoid legal trouble.

"Are you using the computer from a library?"
----------

Yes. This is the cheapest way to surf the internet. I don't have to buy the computer or the internet connection.

"You don't have a laptop with wifi?"
----------

I have a work laptop. But it is set up in such a way that my company can log in and see what I'm doing at any time without my knowledge. My work provides the computer and the internet connection. I'm not supposed to use it for anything that isn't work related.

"Try using a proxy, like this one:

http://www.hidemyass.com

Winston"
----------

That is a good idea, and may get me past the block. But I still could get in trouble legally if someone sees an X-Rated image. So I have to have a way of knowing what not to click on with some indication in the title of the thread such as NSFW.

"What browser are you using? Go to Internet Options and disable images,
then go to the forum and no images will show up."
----------

The computer settings are fixed in such a way that it won't let me change those settings.

"Or use this
proxy:

http://www.hidemyass.com

You can now get a netbook
for $200 I hear. It's very handy and you can use it to use the wifi at
Denny's, Starbucks and many malls, cafes, etc.

Winston"
----------

Trying to save money for the trip. Plus, the cheap computers cost more like $300-$350, not $200. Also, this doesn't get rid of the problem where someone walking past could see an X-Rated image and I could get in trouble.

odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

I don't know the limitations of your site software. For example on some forums you are only able to see pictures, or certain marked-pictures, if you are logged in.

Or you can make a special NSFW section of the forum where we can post all the inappropriate discussions and nudity we want. (And you could make that section only viewable when logged in)

You should pay someone to redo your site (not the forum) but the front page of happierabroad.com
Make it less cluttered and less scam-artist looking.

Example:
-Introduction
-Forum
-Guestbook
-Media (photos & youtube videos)

not 30 choices on the first page
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This forum software is not sophisticated enough to do all that.

A special section for nude photos would drag us down into a gutter. lol

I could unclutter the home page, but all the links on there are important ones. Which ones should I remove? They all matter. That's the problem.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

So I don't get it. Is there some auto program that libraries use that can detect nude pics? If so, how does it work exactly?

Would eliminating the nude pics in these three threads remove the block from this site in public terminals?

viewtopic.php?t=10696

viewtopic.php?t=10478

viewtopic.php?t=9719

Or could all the cuss words on the forum have caused the block?

What do you think?

For now, we can make it so that all nude pics have a NSFW in the post title or at least above it.

And it's probably a good idea not to have any nude avatars.

DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

Your website is not being blocked in Australia. I've accessed it on some computers; some of which have filters that block out 'cuss words' (but only in the URL, I think).
Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

You know what, besides this little Catholic schoolgirl telling you to stop posting X-rated pictures, the guy is actually right. I went to visit my parents back in June this year and I tried to access this site from the public library and it was blocked for being adult material. This library just implemented this crap in their systems because you could go to any site you wanted. The adult material was basically what he said, the images.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Phoenix Sosa wrote:You know what, besides this little Catholic schoolgirl telling you to stop posting X-rated pictures, the guy is actually right. I went to visit my parents back in June this year and I tried to access this site from the public library and it was blocked for being adult material. This library just implemented this crap in their systems because you could go to any site you wanted. The adult material was basically what he said, the images.
Was the whole site blocked, or just the threads with the nude pics? How does a program auto-find nude pics? Perhaps this site is blacklisted on some commercial program. But then again, how did that program find the nude pics? Only a few threads have them.

Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

This whole site was blocked. I couldn't log in or anything.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Yeah, as much as I enjoy Odbo's pics, it's probably more important for the mission of this site if as many men can access it as possible. And I guess this means taking out what the prudish American government considers "porn" ("Oh, no! People might find out about the existence of pubic hair! Ban it! BAN IT!!" Lol).

You don't want your site shoved into the online porn ghetto, and unfortunately, many men are still living in the US under its draconian laws.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jackal wrote:Yeah, as much as I enjoy Odbo's pics, it's probably more important for the mission of this site if as many men can access it as possible. And I guess this means taking out what the prudish American government considers "porn" ("Oh, no! People might find out about the existence of pubic hair! Ban it! BAN IT!!" Lol).

You don't want your site shoved into the online porn ghetto, and unfortunately, many men are still living in the US under its draconian laws.
Maybe. But I would surmise that very few guys are using public terminals in a library. I mean, if someone can only use the internet from a library everyday, then that person is probably too poor to afford to fly overseas right? The library doesn't even have that many computers for public use, so the percentage of people using them must be very small, right?

Anyway, even if we removed the nude pics now, someone probably reported HA to some online service that blocked us, so how would we report it to this unknown online service? Who would we contact for a re-screening and unblocking of HA on public terminals? If no one does, how would we get off the blacklist? See what I mean? They can't keep track of every site, so someone would have to alert them. See the problem?

Nevertheless, Jackal, how about I make you moderator again for a while, and you edit out all the nude pics you can find at the links above and others?