Differences between Western and South-Eastern Ukraine

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
Google
Freshman Poster

Differences between Western and South-Eastern Ukraine

Post by Google »

Ukraine is clearly divided into two linguistic halves: "nationalist, pro-European, and Ukrainophone" - is Western Ukraine and "Russophile, pro-Eurasian and Russophone" - is South-Eastern Ukraine.

LVIV and DONETSK

● Culture eastern region of Ukraine is "more realistic and pragmatic, with a distinct advantage universalistic criteria, collectivist orientation, statism" . In Western Ukraine is the typical liberal system of political values within which freedom is accepted as an absolute value, which is complementary to the principle of individualism.

● Western Ukraine is a very specific area for several reasons. Western Ukraine,exception of Volyn oblast, was never part of Russian Empire. People in the West of Ukraine more religious and conservative than in the East of Ukraine. In addition, in all regions of Western Ukraine are dominated Catholics rather than Orthodox (with the exception of Volyn oblast)

● In Western Ukraine absolutely dominates Ukrainian language:
- Western Ukraine: 94,4% of population speak Ukrainian.
- South-Eastern Ukraine: less than 5% of population speak Ukrainian.

● The crime rate in Western Ukraine is lower than in the East. Among large cities, the highest crime rate in Zaporizhia, Luhansk and Krivoy Rog (all three cities are located in the East of Ukraine) and the lowest crime rate - in Lviv (is the capital of Western Ukraine).

Compared to Western Ukraine, South-Eastern Ukraine has:

- higher percentage of people with HIV / AIDS;
- higher crime rates;
- higher percentage of atheists and indifferent christians ;
- higher percentage of people who communicate in Russian;
- lower life expectancy;
- greater income inequality;
- higher wages;
- higher levels of air pollution;

LVIV - the capital of Western Ukraine:

and Donetsk - Eastern Ukraine:

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Well, I heard that many Ukrainians hate ethnic Russians in their country. Russians are discriminated against and treated as second class citizens there. Or, that's what I read from some forum somewhere.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Nah, baloney! Some extremist elements do that. What it basically boils down to is that if you are in the West and want to fit in, you have to speak the local language and be of the local religion.

One more thing has not been mentioned: availability of local dating material. Good luck trying to get a western Ukrainian girl. Virtually none on dating sites. I would say that 99.9999 percent of Ukrainian internet brides to the West come from the South East part. Western girls, though are the ones who go abroad to work as waitresses and maids and most go to Italy and Spain. Many end up getting married to local rich guys. Spanish and Italian men go crazy over these plus western girls are mostly Catholic so it is a good match.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

zboy1 wrote:Well, I heard that many Ukrainians hate ethnic Russians in their country. Russians are discriminated against and treated as second class citizens there. Or, that's what I read from some forum somewhere.
That's what Larisa told me about how Ukrainians feel about Russia/Russians. Then again she blamed Africans for the HIV/AIDS problem in Ukraine... HMMMM
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

Nah! This is Western Ukraine propaganda even here :) I've f***ed girls from the West and East. I come from Eastern Ukraine, but visited Lviv and other West Ukrainian cities. I have friends from Western Ukraine etc.

So what it comes down to:
Western Ukrainian girls tend to look more Polish to me - red hair, weird body structure.
TOTALLY different mentality and communication style. Although we do understand each other, Western Ukrainians seem like people from abroad to me. Is it good or bad? It depends on the person you meet. Most are decent, but there way many skinheads - pro-Nationalist (read "Nazi") movements over there. They may beat you up if they hear you speak Russian. I think that's too much, really.
Western Ukraine is less industrialized and used to be ruled by Poland for many years. Main income of Ukraine comes from the East, Central and South.
Western Ukraine, however, has much cleaner villages (they look almost like Europe). Also Lviv is truly a beautiful city, very historic and probably similar to Prague (not exactly, but just so you get an idea).
There is lots of AIDS anywhere in FSU/ex-USSR, so I don't think it's true.
Western Ukrainian girls seem to be very closed off-frozen to me compared to Eastern, but I am being picky here ;) Also they seem more conservative. Catholic religion could be a cause of it, but Polish themselves seem to be more outgoing than West Ukrainians.

About the Eastern Ukraine:
Girls are totally the most beautiful in the South, South-East: Odessa, Mykolaiv, Kherson, Donetsk, Kharkov, Dnepropetrovsk, Lugansk etc. Those cities have probably 30% of girls on the streets looking like models.
Girls over there have my type of mentality - straightforward, like to have fun, open in many different ways, speak almost pure Russian, but also know Ukrainian well.
Girls in the East cook better IMHO, but again that could be because I grew up there.
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

have2fly wrote:Western Ukrainian girls tend to look more Polish to me - red hair, weird body structure.
No! :) they look more Ukrainian than girls from South-East, who look more Russian to me :)
have2fly wrote:They may beat you up if they hear you speak Russian. I think that's too much, really.
in Western Ukraine no one will beat you just because you speak Russian. :) Ukrainians in Western Ukraine don't likes not all Russian as ethnic, rather those Russians who behave brazenly and Ukrainophobe. People in western Ukraine do not like the power in the Kremlin and all that is caused by the Soviet Union rather than simple ethnic Russians. In Lviv, 8% of the population are ethnic Russians and nobody discriminates, ask them why they do not want to go to the other city?. In fact, the percentage of skinheads in Lviv is less than in Moscow or Odessa. Some Russian media seem to try to discredit Ukraine. In a poll in June 2009 in Russia 75% of Russian respondents respected Ukrainians as ethnic group but 55% were negative about Ukraine as the state. In May 2009, 96% of Ukrainians polled by Kyiv International Sociology Institute were positive about Russians as ethnic group, 93% respected Russian Federation and 76% respected Russian establishment. As we see, Russians have more manifestations of xenophobia and racism in relation to Ukrainians, than Ukrainians have in relation to Russians.

have2fly wrote:There is lots of AIDS anywhere in FSU/ex-USSR, so I don't think it's true.
Look statistics. Odessa, Mykolaiv and Dnepropetrovsk region (is South-Eastern Ukraine) have the higher percentage of HIV / AIDS infected and drug addicts and more abortions and more homicide than Western Ukraine. I think it's because Western Ukrainian people more conservative and religious compared with rest part of Ukraine.

You can see the prevalence of HIV in Ukraine by region: Dnipropetrovsk and Odessa oblast - 414 / 100.000, Donetsk obl. - 395, Mykolaiv obl. - 378 and Western Ukraine: Zakarpatska obl. - 10.9, Ivano-Frankivsk - 20.1 or Lviv oblast - 40.1

Last edited by Google on July 25th, 2011, 10:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

:)
Last edited by Google on March 21st, 2013, 2:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

Nevertheless, Western Ukraine used to be a part of Poland and Eastern Ukraine used to be a part of Russia.

There is no xenophobia in Eastern Ukraine, they just respect Soviet Times and West does not. This argument has no end. Срач не надо тут то хоть разводить, им оно не надо вообще и не понять о чем мы говорим.

Comparing statistics is worthless, Ukraine is one country. Some cities could have more poverty and HIV/AIDS, some less.

Main point I was making - people from Western Ukraine have different mentality, but guys on this forum would not get the difference anyway.
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

Crime rate by region of Ukraine:

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Western Ukraine used to be part of Romania, the Czech republic, Hungary and Austria as well as Lithuania, too. Parts of Eastern Ukraine also used to belong to Turkey and was under the Mongols and the Khazars.

Ну это секция про культуру, чтобы например они бы не ехали в Донетцк и учили бы Украинский а потом вдруг никто на нем не говорит. Так что нет, вы не тратите время попусту, ребята.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

ladislav wrote:Western Ukraine used to be part of Romania, the Czech republic, Hungary and Austria as well as Lithuania, too. Parts of Eastern Ukraine also used to belong to Turkey and was under the Mongols and the Khazars
All these countries used only a small part of Ukraine and not for long. Generally I think the biggest influence on Ukraine had only two countries - Poland and Russia.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I agree about Westerns it won't matter to them and it likely they won't care either.

We can related to them in that there is angst among some Southern Americans about "The War Of Northern Aggression" ie: Civil War. They still don't understand why they lost and think the country is worst off because they lost.

Every country has its crazies, Neo Nazi's, Skinheads, Abortion Bombers/Doctor Murderers, Aryan Nation, Concern Citizen Council, etc, etc, etc.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

But you forgot that far East regions are practically dead! Coal mines are almost gone and there is nothing else to do there, no jobs! There are whole cities that are empty now, property is literally worth nothing! Donetsk is the only good city, everything else around is a wasteland. In the U.S. you may compare it to Detroit.

Американец который едет в Украину в первый раз не поймет разницы вообще. А по сути во Львове тоже есть красивые девушки, так что это не важно. Вообще у меня есть мнение что лучше поехать в село за девченкой, найти красавицу чтобы борщи варила. Хотя тоже как подумать, если забрать её в Америку, то слишком много соблазна будет и мало понимания ситуации потому она в жизни мало чего видела. 50/50... как повезет, наверное от конкретной девушки всё зависит.
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

have2fly wrote:Вообще у меня есть мнение что лучше поехать в село за девченкой, найти красавицу чтобы борщи варила. Хотя тоже как подумать, если забрать её в Америку, то слишком много соблазна будет и мало понимания ситуации потому она в жизни мало чего видела. 50/50... как повезет, наверное от конкретной девушки всё зависит.
В Америке она станет американкой)) И вообще в деревнях попадаются девушки еще хуже,чем в городах. Они много матеряться и пьют водку. Это уже не те хозяйственные наивные девочки,которые борщи варят...время изменилось,страна меняется с каждым годом.
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

:)